Menu

What curriculum have you had the most fun with?

Marie131

Ages 5-8: Five in a Row...my kids LOVED it, and so did I.

Right now I'm using Further Up and Further In (unit study using The Chronicles of Narnia) with ds9 and it is a lot of fun. In fact, it is my favorite year...so far! He is having a blast with it as well.

I'm also enjoying Oak Meadow Preschool with dd4. It is gentle and fun.

I am hoping that next year, when I will use Oak Meadow Sixth Grade with my dd12, will be fun. She is using another curriculum this year, and she is not enjoying it.

No curriculum. A library card.

When I was my brokest and sickest, I'd just go to the library, grab some stuff that looked good, and just use it. It was easy, fun, and it worked as well as most of the hard and boring and expensive and teacher-intensive alternatives, that I'd switch back to when the crisis passed.

The Chicago Review Press books "xxx for Kids" (Leonardo da Vinci, Lewis and Clark, American Folk Art, Galileo, Einstein, Isaac Newton, and many more)

I like the solid, well written texts. dd loves the hands-on activities! I love that she can do the activities on her own - I supply materials, then stay out of it!!

She's also having a lot of fun with WP's Equine Science.

We've had the most fun with supplements. Especially...

Grammarland

Right Start Card Games

Primary Challenge Math

Logic Liftoff

Lollipop Logic

Art Lab for Kids

Wakeruppers from Tin Man Press

Bananagrams for Kids (makes them into word puzzles)

Booklists from Livingmath.net

Boston Children's Museum Activity Books

Of core curriculum, while we ended up moving on from it for various reasons, we found SOTW fun. Also Miquon. And many of the things about Bravewriter, especially Poetry Teas.

No curriculum. A library card.

When I was my brokest and sickest, I'd just go to the library, grab some stuff that looked good, and just use it. It was easy, fun, and it worked as well as most of the hard and boring and expensive and teacher-intensive alternatives, that I'd switch back to when the crisis passed.

Okay, I do need to add a curriculum. Draw Write Now.

We've had the most fun with supplements. Especially...

Grammarland

Right Start Card Games

Primary Challenge Math

Logic Liftoff

Lollipop Logic

Art Lab for Kids

Wakeruppers from Tin Man Press

Bananagrams for Kids (makes them into word puzzles)

Booklists from Livingmath.net

Boston Children's Museum Activity Books

Of core curriculum, while we ended up moving on from it for various reasons, we found SOTW fun. Also Miquon. And many of the things about Bravewriter, especially Poetry Teas.

Great list! LOVE the WakerUppers! How have I never seen these?

I agree about poetry teas and Art Lab for Kids.

Also, they love our homemade writing workshop with a bajillion different resources. This is a very fun, flexible time.

Our morning meeting, which starts our day and serves as a catch-all for discussion of current events, plans and menus, memory work, conversational Spanish, character lessons, and whatever else we want to throw in there.

Science/tinkering lab where they work to answer their own questions.

For nature study, they are putting together a homemade field guide for our area. They have divided the wildlife into categories so that they can each cover/study what interests them most.

Read-aloud time, for history/science during group time in the morning and at lunchtime, when I read lit aloud.

My kids really enjoy reciting memory work too. The new house we are in has one of those (useless to me :lol:) decorative pass-through niches right in the corner of our schoolroom. I put up a little tension rod and curtain and they recite their memory work "on stage."

As far as fun curricula: Life of Fred, MCTLA, and SOTW with supplemental reading/activities are favorites.

ETA: Sorry! I think I didn't read the question properly. Most of the fun we have comes not from specific curricula but from how we spin it and fit it into our days in a way that suits how we live.

My kids are loving all our Bravewriter activities. They also really enjoy WWE. My Kinder loves Peak With Books. And they are having fun with Mudpies to Magnets. My oldest really enjoyed his Miquon books. He even likes his Saxon book. :w00t:

They all love our focus on art this year. We use Harmony Fine Arts and Artistic Pursuits. I mentioned thinking of doing something other than ArtPur and HFA next year and they all raised a stink. Even my 2 year old participates.

My DC are enjoying Mad Libs right now...they've been reviewing parts of speech without realizing it.

They also enjoy any kind of game. They love Rightstart Math Games, but we also often have a math fact "bee". They either take turns solving problems on flashcards or they try to shout out the answer first. If they get their problem right, they keep the card. It's so simple, but it's much more fun than going through flashcards on their own. I also picked up a Geopuzzle to work on African countries. If you check out games at Rainbow Resource, you can find a game for any subject!

Anytime we pull out art supplies, they are excited. We've been using Draw Squad all year and I'm hoping to pull out a Chinese brush painting book soon. It's a great way to end our school day (or spend our evening). Time outside is another hit at the end of the day. I sometimes bribe them to get through their chores with outside time. :blush:

As far as curriculum, they've enjoyed both FIAR and HOD. They love anything with lots of activities.

Button says he likes:

Winning with Writing

Evan-Moor spelling -- highlighting this for the OP: it really is a pretty fun spelling, if you are going for a fun year. and academically good too.

Evan-Moor geography (but we just added this, not sure if his enthusiasm will last)

MEP math (but he's actually losing math skills with MEP, so I'm switching us back to Singapore)

Zaner-Bloser Cursive (he volunteered this! he's tired of the manuscript I make him do, though)

and I splurged on a Little Professor kit (robotics) over the holiday: that is a sure winner, though pricey: three kits would cover a 36-week school year.

Most of our fun stuff has been add ons:

Meet the Masters (not an add on)

Horrible Histories

Beast Academy

LOF

Happy Scientist

Ellen McHenry's The Elements (not an add on)

BrainPop

Earthschooling (the crafts, stories, and recipes)

Little Passports (for Geography)

Reading Eggs (no longer need it, but it was fun at the time)

Grammar Land

The Sentence Family

Mad Libs

Childcraft set

We had a great time doing Native American History Pockets this year for American History! We missed doing them when we were done.

We enjoyed Story Time Treasures and More Story Time Treasures for 1st Grade and plan to do it again next year (twins/1st). Gentle and sweet.

I notice that your three oldest children are boys; however, we are having fun with the historical American Girl books (Kaya, Felicity, Caroline, Josefina, Marie-Grace & Cecile, Kirsten, Addy, Samantha, Rebecca, Kit, Molly, Julie). You may want to keep these books in mind for when your sweet baby girl is in the age range. :)

One other fun memory -- from when my girls were toddlers & preschoolers (2, 3, 4 years old) -- we sang and danced to Wee Sing and Cedarmont Kids CDs, played instruments, and had fun. Here's my list of those happy tunes from those happy times:

http://weesing.com/Books-Music/Wee-Sing-And-Learn-Opposites

http://weesing.com/Books-Music/Wee-Sing-And-Learn-Bugs

http://weesing.com/Books-Music/Wee-Sing-And-Learn-123

http://weesing.com/Books-Music/Wee-Sing-America

http://weesing.com/Books-Music/Wee-Sing-Bible-Songs

http://weesing.com/Books-Music/Wee-Sing-Nursery-Rhymes-and-Lullabies

And we sang and danced to all of these (except the lullabies, these were for sleeping):

http://cedarmontkids.com/index2.html

Last year for Around-the-World Geography, we enjoyed watching Families of the World DVDs. We requested that our library purchase them, and they did. :) We also enjoyed watching all the Rick Steves DVDs that our library had.

We had fun doing this human body book when we studied human anatomy.

Thanks for the reminder to keep doing fun things! :)

Considering Gods Creation by eagle wing publishing was a lot of fun. Hands on science crafts for lack of a better description. We combined it with Galloping the Globe and had fabulous workbooks to show the grandparents.

Also liked Draw Write Now, LOF, Ellen McHenry......

Another vote for FIAR. Those are some great memories. Wish I had enough energy to get it out for my current batch of littles.

A runner-up would be RightStart A. All three of my Kers loved all the games in RS A. The love continued through level B,a nd then they figured out that math is work.

Different things different years. Some things that were fun when they were new were SOTW, Drawing with Children, Prima Latina and Latina Christiana I. I have to say FF hasn't been as much fun.. we don't have time for the prayers and classical studies (Famous Men of Rome that was scheduled w/LCI) because it is just so much more work.

We are in our 5th year of SOTW. We love history, though we don't do all of the projects and movies and such that we did the first time around, as all of our schedules have gotten busier. But our love of history started there. And we all love art. So having a set time and doing art together and seeing our work improve w/DWC was a great couple of years.

The Chicago Review Press books "xxx for Kids" (Leonardo da Vinci, Lewis and Clark, American Folk Art, Galileo, Einstein, Isaac Newton, and many more)

These! We've used a three or four of these so far and they've all been fantastic.

Some other fun things for those ages:

Basher science books

Thames and Kosmos kits

Miquon

Zaccaro's Primary Grade Challenge Math

Grammar Land

The Sentence Family

NaNoWriMo elementary workbook

Unjournaling

Draw Write Now

Art Start and Illustration School drawing books

Story of the World

Minimus

Up until today, I had no idea what to add to this list honestly! I mean we've had fun with some of our history activities here and there, but not consistently. Yesterday though, DD got Rory's Story Cubes as a belated Christmas present and she LOVES using them to write stories! The effect may wear off but at this point, she has had tons of fun going back and forth taking turns rolling the dice and creating stories together. And we take it a step further. I have her write her part down, then I write my part, and she reads the parts! So we are getting some creative thinking done in a fun way, practicing handwriting, practicing using our phonics and spelling rule skills, and practicing reading words (some of which she really has to work for!). LOVE it!

Here's a link in case you're curious! :hurray:

http://www.amazon.com/Gamewright-318-Rorys-Story-Cubes/dp/B003EIK136/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358182366&sr=8-1&keywords=rory%27s+story+cubes

Konos. Hands down, without reservation. And, as a bonus, it was the curriculum my kids retained the most knowledge from. My dd (who is currently a 4.0 student in college) told me that she is currently using what she remembers from Konos for her Astronomy class this semester. She said she's light years ahead of the other kids because of our Konos solar system unit that she did in 6th grade. In fact, her professor asked her how she knew so much about astronomy, since it's not traditionally taught to any depth in the public schools around here. She told him she'd been homeschooled and he smiled and nodded. Yay for Konos!!! :hurray:

Ds' faves:

Ellen McHenry anything

Ed Zacarro anything

Aims Edu- a whole bunch but the best, he says, is Amazing Circle

Critical Thinking Company -The Mindbenders with jokes/riddles.

AoPS

Martin Gardner

Heart of Math which we had to stop because the math was beyond him, but he loved the style and ideas. I need to follow up on Prof Ed Burger.

Not loving MCT Island at the moment but perhaps we haven't hit on Mud yet.

We REALLY enjoyed . . .

R.E.A.L. Science for kids - short read-aloud lessons and LOTS of hands on science fun.

Homeschool in the Woods Timeline - One of our best purchases

Homeschool in the Woods Time Travelers - Excellent lapbook, handiwork/crafts/cooking. LOVED it!

Discovering Great Artists

FIAR

SOTW with Acitivity book

MFW RtoR and MFW Explorers to 1850

Bible Study Guide for All Ages