Menu

DH bought the dreaded PopTarts as a treat for the kiddos...

Ewe Mama

Guest inoubliable

LOL. I'm sorry, I'm not laughing at you... I hadn't heard of the "PopTart effect" before. I'm almost tempted to offer my kidlets some Poptarts to see what reaction I get now. Just because I'm that bored today.

Can you find a better "treat" for dh to get for the kids? Sounds like he likes to get them a treat but that the poptarts aren't the best option for your kids.

Maybe give him a few ideas of better options for treats for the kids next time you send him.

That's funny, we used to do lots of Pop Tarts and the kids thought they were the most wonderful things in the world, but I stopped buying them and was very firm about them never crossing the threshold (we do eat them when on vacation for some reason). My son was just remarking this morning that he no longer misses Pop Tarts, LOL! He asked: do other people still eat them????

I'll have to tell him yes, but it isn't pretty!!

Confession time: I'm afraid to take my 5-year-old grocery shopping because we just moved and I know he'll notice that they don't sell his favourite kind here. Yes, I've checked every grocery store in the city. My kid loves Pop-Tarts that much. That said, they're an afternoon snack in our house, not a breakfast food.

Dh is the snack buyer. I keep asking him to stick to the list because I want to get back into healthier snacks and baking things without preservatives. He just can't resist buying treats for the kids. The problem is that he is never home when they are experiencing the sugar buzz and detox time.

It is not pretty. :glare:

He just has no clue how difficult he can make our day by adding in those "treats."

PopTarts only enter our home about 4 times a year, so it's not excessive, but they by far have the worst effect on my kiddos of all the possibilities with which he comes home.

I'll admit to buying poptarts. I get them about once a year and they're a dessert treat.

That's how we do it, too. I figure they're only slightly worse than commercial granola bars. The worst culprit here is Starburst candy - so it has not been in our home for about 7 or 8 years now.

But I understand that the issue here is not the Pop-Tarts, but your DH not being fully committed to your wish for healthier snacks (or at least not to sticking to your list).

Can you arrange to serve the Pop-Tarts when he will be home? Tell him what happens, then let him see it (and deal with it) for himself. Sometimes just hearing "they go nuts" doesn't convey the reality completely, you know?

It's going to be a very long day. Faith is having a major meltdown from the PopTart effect.

I hate it when dh goes to the store and doesn't stick to the list.

That is all.

Yep. My kids -even though they are teens - are still bouncing off the walls if they eat a lot of sugar. And they have!

Would you like me to post a picture of one? ;)

Thank you for the lovely gesture, but I can picture them as clear as day in my mind. :001_wub:

I ended up having some Oreo cookies. I'm sure someone out there is anti-Oreos, but I don't want to hear about it. Oreos are our friends, and they are also highly nutritious if you serve them with milk. Or coffee, as long as you put some cream in there for calcium... or protein... or whatever it is in cream that's sort of good for you. ;)

Thank you for the lovely gesture, but I can picture them as clear as day in my mind. :001_wub:

I ended up having some Oreo cookies. I'm sure someone out there is anti-Oreos, but I don't want to hear about it. Oreos are our friends, and they are also highly nutritious if you serve them with milk. Or coffee, as long as you put some cream in there for calcium... or protein... or whatever it is in cream that's sort of good for you. ;)

I really like your view of food. ;)

I'm afraid my DS likes Pop Tarts a bit too much.... I do buy them, but there's not an unlimited supply.

(Does anyone else see the potential for Pop Tarts to join the ranks of crockpots and cream soups as a highly debated Hive topic??)

I'm all for junk food on occasion. My kids have eaten their share of McDonalds, pretzels or chips, candy, whatever. That said, we don't pop tarts simply because they taste horrible. My kids won't even eat them. I'm not even sure how they stay in business. :confused:

They gross me out so I don't buy them, but the kids LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE them when they have the chance to have one.

I would schedule a day when I will be away from home with my cell phone turned off and dh watching the kids. Then I would leave plenty of poptarts for the kids for breakfast. When I returned I would ask dh if he will ever be bringing poptarts home again. Of course, I am a bit devious like that.

Guest inoubliable

Seriously, you guys are making me want to pick up a box of these now! I haven't had a Poptart since I was a kid. My mom eats them all the time - the frosted brown sugar kind. I wonder if they still taste the same.

I like pop tarts and Oreos :drool5:

I have never heard of anyone having any unusual effects from eating a Pop-Tart. :confusing: How are Pop-Tarts different from any other cookie, cake, or candy?

Lots of High fructose corn syrup and dyes. Seriously, hfcs can not only cause excessive bouncing off the walls, but could send my kid into a rage similar to roid rage. Not pretty for anyone.

I just tell the kids that if they misbehave after treats, they don't get any. No problems here.

If they truly have reactions to the ingredients, it isn't a behavior that they can control. If your dc had horrible reactions, you would know. I'm not talking just a bit of extra energy.

Thank you for the lovely gesture, but I can picture them as clear as day in my mind. :001_wub: I ended up having some Oreo cookies. I'm sure someone out there is anti-Oreos, but I don't want to hear about it. Oreos are our friends, and they are also highly nutritious if you serve them with milk. Or coffee, as long as you put some cream in there for calcium... or protein... or whatever it is in cream that's sort of good for you. ;)

Spy Car does. He hate Oreos- but I love him anyway. I also like poptarts. I miss the apple cinnamon ones (not the high fiber whatever ones). I used to put them in the fridge and eat them cold. They tasted just like homemade apple pie. :(

If they truly have reactions to the ingredients, it isn't a behavior that they can control. If your dc had horrible reactions, you would know. I'm not talking just a bit of extra energy.

Color me a sugar skeptic. I've watched plenty of kids whose parents assured me were made "wild" by white sugar, corn syrup, or unrefined carbs in high-sugar situations, and all of them have been able to control themselves with me. "This cake or candy is for children who can eat it and remain in control and well behaved," with a brittle smile, has always worked very well. "If you think you might get crazy when you eat this, you should excuse yourself because we all want to have a fun time."

I've never had a kid refuse, and I've never had one turn into the overwrought mess that I have to endure at some parties. I have had kids think for a moment then decide that they will be able to handle it, after all, just this once. The parents think I am magic.

EVERY double-blind study shows that "sugar-sensitive" kids react to what they and their parents THINK is in something, not what's actually there.

Color me a sugar skeptic. I've watched plenty of kids whose parents assured me were made "wild" by white sugar, corn syrup, or unrefined carbs in high-sugar situations, and all of them have been able to control themselves with me. "This cake or candy is for children who can eat it and remain in control and well behaved," with a brittle smile, has always worked very well. "If you think you might get crazy when you eat this, you should excuse yourself because we all want to have a fun time."

I've never had a kid refuse, and I've never had one turn into the overwrought mess that I have to endure at some parties. I have had kids think for a moment then decide that they will be able to handle it, after all, just this once. The parents think I am magic.

EVERY double-blind study shows that "sugar-sensitive" kids react to what they and their parents THINK is in something, not what's actually there.

I really think something is wrong with all those studies. For one thing all the sugar and refined carbs are kids are exposed is resulting in so many health problems it simply has to affect things. Heck, if I eat a lot of sugar I can feel shakey and out of sorts. I'll never forget when my son was taking ballet when he was 4 (his older sister was taking another class at the same time so I just stuck him a younger class so he'd have something to do while we waited for her). One time he was hungry so I got him a candy bar before the class. He was absolutely all over the place and couldn't follow any instruction. But the next class he didn't have a candy bar and he was fine. Then the next time he was hungry and I completely forgot his reaction previously, so I bought him another candy bar and again he was wild. After that, I never got him a candy bar before the class and he was fine. So I did my own study (LOL) and I have come to the irrefutable conclusion that yes sugar does affect kids.

I have no clue what the Pop Tart effect is but wanted to chime in and say I had a cinnamon Pop Tart for breakfast and it was delicious. If you are on Weight Watchers Pop Tarts are not as evil as everyone makes them out to be (aka about 5 points a piece).

The hot fudge sundae ones are extra yummy!

I never ever ever ate them growing up but if my kids want to eat them I have no issue.

It's going to be a very long day. Faith is having a major meltdown from the PopTart effect.

That is all.

You gotta love Dads, lol. My father was a good husband and wasn't purposefully undermining of my mother (just the opposite) but he did like to indulge the things she didn't indulge from time to time. I doubt she really minded, as long as it was just a "once in a while Dad treat." Those are fond memories for me. I remember once she went out of town for the weekend and he took us all on a helicopter ride. Later I was so happy telling my Mom about how cool it was and how there was no door on it, so I could just about fall right out of that helicopter. She looked so stricken. The same day, he let me eat cake for lunch. I still remember.

My litle barbarians eat Poptarts RAW! UNTOASTED! :svengo:

We buy the Nature's Path brand- nto much more expensive, and really tasty. They are never actual breakfast- more like dessert after a high-protein breakfast.

And about studies showing kids don;t really react to what's in foods? odd. I have a child who is very sensitive to food dyes- so much so she reacts to dyes in body care products, too. We had zero expectation that food was makign her react- it actually took MONTHS of frightening behavior before someone realized she was reacting to dyes.

I have also had zero expecation of a child (not mine- a aparty guest) have a sugar reaction- but she had one- BIG TIME! And this was a TEEN! I took the sugar foods away and made her a PB sandwich. Back to normal pretty quickly.

That is all.

I sympathize. For our family, it's the Fruitloop Effect. Very Scary. I really don't think it's the sugar (at least not in our case), it's the coloring and other petroleum-based cr*p they put in those things.

I really do appreciate it when dh stops to pick up a couple things at the grocery that I need and/or forgot to get myself. It's a trade-off I sometimes have to make peace with.

FWIW, I am definitely anti-Oreo, but only because I think they taste horrible - I wouldn't even eat them as a child (and I'm generally NOT a picky eater :D ).

I really think something is wrong with all those studies. For one thing all the sugar and refined carbs are kids are exposed is resulting in so many health problems it simply has to affect things. Heck, if I eat a lot of sugar I can feel shakey and out of sorts. I'll never forget when my son was taking ballet when he was 4 (his older sister was taking another class at the same time so I just stuck him a younger class so he'd have something to do while we waited for her). One time he was hungry so I got him a candy bar before the class. He was absolutely all over the place and couldn't follow any instruction. But the next class he didn't have a candy bar and he was fine. Then the next time he was hungry and I completely forgot his reaction previously, so I bought him another candy bar and again he was wild. After that, I never got him a candy bar before the class and he was fine. So I did my own study (LOL) and I have come to the irrefutable conclusion that yes sugar does affect kids.

I believe that I once read that in at least one of them they had the kids in the "control" group on a "special diet" that was already so high in sugar that the additional sugar given to the experimental group did not make any difference. Ido not remeber where I read that but it is pretty typical of how those who start with the determination to find a given result game the system.

I really don't care what some supposed "double blind study" says. I'm a parent that pays attention. I'm a parent that figured out my kid was allergic to blue dye #1 (and not other blues), when the docs said I would never know what kept causing his hives. I figured out when my kid was 2, that milk made him hyper. I also figured out that he couldn't eat red delicious apples, but other varieties were ok. I'm not making stuff up, or exaggerating.

I stopped letting him go to Sunday school and youth, because they had free access to soda and candy w/ hfcs. It meant 3 days of meltdowns, rage, and inability to concentrate. Now, pure cane sugar he can eat to his heart's content, and it doesn't affect him. At all. Which is why I said, If you have a kid affected, you would know. And if you don't- you'll never get it. And fyi- it doesn't always have an immediate effect- w/ my son it would be the next three days, not right away.

You know, I haven't seen it either. I'm sure it exists, but I haven't seen it.

:iagree:

I haven't seen it in my ds, either, but I think it's very presumptuous of anyone to assume that the moms who say that their kids do have an issue with sugar are either lying or are idiots who are somehow talking their sweet, innocent children into the idea that sugar makes them hyper.

Personally, I would value the word of a few moms I trust over the results of "studies" any day of the week.... And I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of those official-sounding studies weren't funded by the nice people who produce sugar, corn syrup, and maybe even Pop-Tarts. :rolleyes:

Guest submarines

OT, but do you really mean "brittle" smile or it was an autocorrect of "bright?" Because if someone offered me candy with a brittle smile, I'd be declining. :sneaky2:

I haven't read any studies, as the subject seems quite obvious to me. It would be like looking for research that the Earth is round--I have enough proof already.

I know how I feel when I eat too much sugar, and I've always felt this way, even as a child. I do get a rush, and it is rather unpleasant. I'm sure there are other effects as well.

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they make their own brand of Pop-Tarts. Nothing bad in them, and they are delicious! I let my boys eat those, but not the other ones.

We've experienced the HFCS & food dye induced rages here... they are not pretty.