Menu

What is the BEST Educational/HS item you've ever bought?

Coco_Clark

The single BEST item I have ever purchased is cafeteria style trays. It sounds ridiculous SO ridiculous, but we have traced letters in shaving cream, built sugar cube pyramids, painted Ming bowls, dug out dinosaur bones, etc. on them. We use them non-stop in our various projects and schooling and the kids can grab them and get set up themselves.

Best?

Life of Fred

Singapore

MCTLA

SOTW

Hakim's History of US audio books

OUP history sets

everything I've used so far from AoPS

HITW Time Travelers and Project Passport

Ellen McHenry's The Elements

Biggest bang for the buck (and also among the best)?

Miquon

WWE

SOTW AG

IEW TWSS & Teaching the Classics

Spelling Power

Say Hi app for iPhone/iPad :D

If you had asked me two years ago, it would have been in the worst category. After giving Rod & Staff English one more chance this year, I'm in love. I'm using it to remediate 2 kids and on grade level with a 3rd. We do it together instead of me assigning it, and that makes all the difference. They are learning so incredibly much, that I just can't believe it.

Other winners here are Teaching Textbooks, Story of the World and First Form Latin. TT has made my math-phobic 9th grader not mind Algebra at all. I'm surprised how much they're learning with FFL. We are on Week 8 and it's going smashingly well. Story of the World, I just keep coming back to. I tried to switch for this cycle, and my kids threw a fit. They missed Jim Weiss. So, we're going through it again and supplementing with different books.

So, far, as we have only been homeschooling one year are:

Singapore Primary Mathematics (just seems to click for us)

Story of the World (love the selections -- what you can add to it or take away) love it with Biblioplan

WWE (tried several writing programs and this just works for us and it's cost effective)

Lots of good books :)

Those are the things we have really grown to love.

Here it is:

Teaching Textbooks (all my kids at the age for it, love it)

FFL - finally found a grammar program that gets done .every.day.

Apologia Elementary science - all my kids love this too (I am including my 5yo who will sit with it and look at the pictures)

Writing with Skill

SOTW & MOH - we love both of these, especially on audio

How to Teach Spelling/How to Spell

Winston Grammar - while I am not in love with it has been great for my VSL girl. I only wish it taught diagramming.

The Core Knowledge Series (original) - I love using these to help "fill in" things that might not be included or I might not think to add which really help enrich my other curric such as poetry, stories, the origin of phrases, music etc.

Two things in particular stand out in my mind as having truly helped my daughter get a firm grasp of concepts in a way that other programs hadn't or couldn't. And ironically, they were both mentioned as some people's "worst" curricula! Ha! Phonics Pathways and RightStart Math levels A - C. If I could homeschool all over again, those two would be at the top of my list of must-buy priorities. In fact, those two formal programs and a library card, and I think I could do pretty well.

Ummm...100EZ Lessons actually tops my list! I taught all three of my children to read with it. I follow it up with R&S Phonics to solidify the phonics rules, and I have received compliments numerous times on how well my children read.

Also on my list are:

R&S English

MP Literature

SOTW

Apologia Elementary Science w/Journals

MP Latin series w/DVDs

The lowercase cursive handwriting instructions in Writing Road to Reading 6th edition.

The handwriting can be used alone, as a stand alone product, without using the rest of the curriculum. Regular ball and stick uppercase looks fine with the lowercase cursive, because the cursive is vertical--not slanted-- and was designed as an overlay to ball and stick manuscript. This hand works particularly well will left-handed and/or dyslexic students.

I use the phonics lessons in How to Tutor as early copywork. There is no need to purchase workbooks when using a combination of WRTR and HTT. The student memorizes letter formation scripts, and then can copy directly from the book or be dictated to. I prepare handwritten student samples for the most disabled students, though.

This is a student sample from a left-handed dyslexic student after just a couple hours of instruction. This sample was done on regular college ruled notebook paper as specified in HTT, and required no purchase of special paper.

3edd9415.jpg

My favorite programs, things I'll always turn to again and again are:

Miquon math. Just wonderful. My oldest finished it and I felt a bit sad.

Sequential Spelling. It seems to be either loved or hated, but for us it's fabulous. I love it and plan on going through all 7 levels with each kid.

And after much gnashing of teeth researching writing programs, the combination of Bravewriter materials and WWE is wonderful.

I also love love love Peak With Books for my littles. I wish I had that book when my oldest was younger.

I really like Harmony Fine Arts and Artistic Pursuits. I love the organization of our art studies instead of the random rabbit trails that were the order of the day before.

The Phonics Road has been the best purchase I've made. I think I could actually teach K-3 math without a program if pressed and easily cover content areas with the library but helping my dyslexic daughter learn how to read would have been a mystery for me without PR. The DVDs are a drag but wow, I have every single piece of teacher instruction that I need to make sure I can effectively teach my child. All the time and note-taking is worth it to me!

My very favorite things in homeschooling over the years:

At Last A Reading Method for Every Child - no one talks about this one but I used it on my dyslexic son and have used it ever since for the rest of the kids + Pathway readers

Rex Barks - a great diagramming book - one book serves the whole family

Phonics Pathways as a spelling reference for ages 6 to 16 (and older)

English from the Roots Up flashcards

Living Math website

HWT's wooden shapes for toddlers/preschoolers who are learning to write

The Charlotte Mason concept of copy work and dictation

My whiteboard easel

Saxon math starting in 7/6

Many, many Teaching Co courses

WWE and WWS

Latin for Children - especially the dvds

Wheelocks

501 Latin Verbs

John Traupman's Latin and English Dictionary

Art of Argument for informal logic

Lightning Lit series for High School

Lots and lots of read alouds the titles of which were culled from many catalogues, websites, this board and my own memory/exploration

Magic School Bus books and shows

Field trips to nature centers and museums

My kitchen timer

Jim Weiss audio cds and many other books on audio from our local library

Ticonderoga pencils

Glencoe free lit guides

Pink Monkey and other sites that have free book guides

Robert Einarsson's Classic Language Arts website

Baldwin Project

Questions for the Thinker guides by Fran Rutherford

Stories in Verse (old used book I got years ago, published by Calvert)

The Harp and the Laurel Wreath

Homeschool classes in high school science, since I can't teach science!

I'd have to say a laser printer and a good local dealer for non-brand toner refills.

That, a good lap-top (basic/old), and an internet dongle and we get heaps of good stuff.

I'll second (third?) Ellen McHenry's The Elements http://www.ellenjmchenrydownloads.com/The-Elements_c19.htm

I used lots of her free-stuff, bought several programmes and we did this as a co-op with about 20 mixed age kids and we all LOVED it.

We also love her Mapping the world with Art.

My favourite is a freebee, (that I would pay lots for), MEP maths. http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

I'm reusing old CD-ROMS of Maths Invaders and Word Wizard, Australian programmes especially developed for kids with specific learning difficulties.

They were invaluable for my eldest and dd the younger is now benefitting from them.

Westvon Publishing handwriting booklets through currclick, both their masterwriter and copywork booklets. http://www.currclick.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=90

I'm enjoying checking out others from this thread, especially lists that include things we know and like.

This year? Using an annotated classic as the core of our literature. My oldest DS has spent months on The Hobbit, and his love for all things Tolkien only grows deeper. My oldest DD has been doing a somewhat similar study using Anne of Green Gables, with help from Where the Brook and River Meet. My only concern is how to top or even match this for next school year. ;)

What is annotated classic? Thanks!

Ummm...100EZ Lessons actually tops my list! I taught all three of my children to read with it. I follow it up with R&S Phonics to solidify the phonics rules, and I have received compliments numerous times on how well my children read.

I agree that 100EZ is the very best resource I have ever found. The biggest problem I have now is that my kids read so far above grade level that I have a little trouble putting together book lists for them to read during the school year. Because they read well, it has helped them to do advanced work in all of their subjects.

OP, you might think about checking out 100EZ from the library and trying it out before you cross it off your list.

Wow - best?!?

From my dd7's perspective, it's probably got to be FLL, though I don't even know if she realizes that she smiles every time I bring out the book. It's hokey, and you can probably find several old threads of me complaining about it, but we have grown into the swing of it and it's an important part of our homeschool day.

I am loving watching HWOT turning my ds5 into a writer - he's only 5 but I feel like, "at last." He has so much thought inside him; now he can get it out, legibly. Dd7 (when she tries!) also has handwriting people exclaim over. I love that smug feeling of "yeah, they're homeschooled and yeah, her handwriting is better than her 17-year-old sister's..."

There are other curricula that have made me smile, but I'll keep it simple for now.