Menu

WWYD? Sell or give away?

Audrey

Imelda's dilemma  

92 members have voted

1. 1. The shoes should be

• given away - it IS the season for giving
    • sold - when you need the money, you need the money
    • there is no other choice, but you can pick this "other" if you must.

There is a hypothetical woman who came home to find that her hypothetical husband had laid out all of her hypothetical shoes in the bedroom. They hypotheticallly covered the entire floor and the hypothetical woman decided that perhaps she was pushing the adage "one cannot have too many shoes" a bit too far, hypothetically speaking, of course.

So, the hypothetical woman went through all the shoes and set aside all the shoes she hadn't worn in a certain amount of time and all the shoes she knew she wouldn't wear again.

One of the hypothetical people feels the shoes should be sold because they could use the money. The other hypothetical person feels the shoes should be donated to the local thrift store because it is the season for giving.

What say you?

My baseline is always, "What's best for my family?" The decision here is, is it better for your ds to witness an act of charity, caring for others, or better to improve finances for the family?

My answer would vary widely depending on our situation. Right now, for example, finances win hands down.

It would depend on the shoes. The majority of shoes if sold are not going to bring in very much, if you can sell them at all and it's going to require a bunch of effort. If you have some very gently used designer shoes, I might consider trying to sell those.

There is a hypothetical woman who came home to find that her hypothetical husband had laid out all of her hypothetical shoes in the bedroom. They hypotheticallly covered the entire floor and the hypothetical woman decided that perhaps she was pushing the adage "one cannot have too many shoes" a bit too far, hypothetically speaking, of course.

So, the hypothetical woman went through all the shoes and set aside all the shoes she hadn't worn in a certain amount of time and all the shoes she knew she wouldn't wear again.

One of the hypothetical people feels the shoes should be sold because they could use the money. The other hypothetical person feels the shoes should be donated to the local thrift store because it is the season for giving.

What say you?

Well, if you give to a thrift store, they still sell it.

Do you know anyone who is the right size that you could give to directly? I'd rather do that, if it were possible.

Clothing items don't bring in a lot of money on Craigslist, but if you have something really expensive, you might make a little money.

Shoes? Donate. You can claim a deduction on your taxes for charitable donations if you write it all up with values assigned. Find out how much Goodwill charges for them, and that's their value. So, it's a win-win. You get a deduction (this year, anyway), someone who needs shoes is able to find them in the thrift store, and both spouses get what they want.

Personally, I would not want to sell them simply because it takes so much time and effort to bother. At the same time though, donating them to the local thrift shop does not mean that some poor soul with no shoes is going to be given them. It simply means that they will sell them to anyone looking for cheap shoes. I would sell what you can and then donate the rest to a place that will actually GIVE them to someone in need.

I am not sure how one sells shoes. Craigslist? You don't want people coming to your house trying on shoes. Ebay? I guess that might work but I wonder about the time and trouble to process orders, pack and ship things, deal with returns if people find they don't fit.

My inclination would be to try to find a consignment store and sell what I could there, then donate or throw away the rest (depending on the condition). As suggested above, get a donation receipt for taxes.

First off, what size? And how much? 'Cause I need some new shoes!!! :)

If you really need the money - I say sell. I've been doing that lately with stuff that I used to donate just because money doesn't go as far as it used to!!

I agree! and me too!!! lol

Well, hypothetically, they could be posted on here if the hypothetical woman is a member since there are many of us (self included) who would love/need some new shoes. Then whatever is not sold can be donated.

Fwiw, I voted donate because there are others who need the shoes more and it can be such a pain to try to sell things. :D

I think you should try to sell them if you need the money. It isn't that hard or time-consuming to sell them on ebay but that depends on what knowledge you're starting with. It can take a while to do the research needed to see if your particular shoes are likely to sell at a decent price if you are completely unfamiliar with ebay. I have a feeling that these hypothetical shoes are likely to be good sellers. But, I could be wrong.

Donating them is always nice if you just want them out. But finding the "right" place to donate to can also take time researching so it may be a wash.

My vote is for sell. Either craigs, ebay or yard sale. I just drove by a yard sale yesterday that was almost all shoes. If you go this route, post a big sign saying what size shoes they are. The bonus is that I'm sure you can gather other stuff for a yard sale. In our area we sell on Friday and Saturday. Sundays are slow.

Me personally? I'd give them away. I do not like the hassle of selling things. I can't imagine selling shoes online because shoes do not always fit just because of size. If I buy a pair of shoes online and they don't fit, I expect a refund. What good are shoes that don't fit? I love the idea of giving them to a place where they will actually be used. Do you have a women's shelter around? You could call and ask if they would take donated shoes. If not, I'd donate them to Good Will. Once I declutter, I want the stuff out of my house. My selling things online days are over. I don't own anything that would fetch a price good enough to warrant all of the hassles of selling, packing and shipping. But I'm a fuddy duddy. :)

It would depend on the shoes. The majority of shoes if sold are not going to bring in very much, if you can sell them at all and it's going to require a bunch of effort. If you have some very gently used designer shoes, I might consider trying to sell those.

I'd consider selling them as a lot or two (I am not sure how many hypothetical shoes exist;)) on ebay. Not individually, but in lots to reduce the hassle.

:iagree: with both of the above. The amount of money you'd get vs. the hassle of selling & shipping is going to be small. The only exception might be still-popular designer shoes or trying to sell them as a lot. You might get more money with a few different lots - casual, work, dress, for example.

I usually just give shoes away, but I suspect I don't have as many as this hypothetical woman.

ETA: If you do decide to give them away, you could check with a local theater. They often take donations for costumes.

I can't imagine trying to sell a lot of individual pairs of shoes -- too much work. Maybe if you sold them in a lot, that would be worth your while. However, I voted "give away" not necessarily because it's the season of giving (although that is a great motivator) but because when I want something out of my house, I want it GONE. Clothes and shoes are things that can easily get re-assimilated or sit in a big black bag in my basement if I don't take it away immediately.

The other thing is that unless they are very high quality name brand shoes, I doubt they'd bring in much money. You have to think of the advertising time (answering questions), packaging time, post office time...will you make much? Just a thought.

Donate. one of our local churches has a "shoe closet " from which they give shoes to people in need. Womens shelter or something similar would be great, too.

I can not imagine the hassle of trying to sell many different pairs of used shoes to be worth the money the hypothetical person could possibly make.

ETA: Even with lots on ebay: who is paying enough money for used shoes to make it worth the hypothetical person's while? (OK, maybe she has expensive designer shoes... I would not know about those.)

I can not imagine the hassle of trying to sell many different pairs of used shoes to be worth the money the hypothetical person could possibly make.

ETA: Even with lots on ebay: who is paying enough money for used shoes to make it worth the hypothetical person's while? (OK, maybe she has expensive designer shoes... I would not know about those.)

I am guessing that with ebay, shipping for shoes is going to be very close to what a woman in the market for used shoes is willing to pay total, especially since she can't try them on, and shoes vary in size.

If you put them in a consignment shop, the shop takes a hefty percentage. It's not like you'll get back a significant percentage of what you paid for them. They are used, so you are not going to get "sale price" from their sale.

A yard sale is probably the best shot for recovering some of the money.

I voted "give them away" not because it's the season for giving, but because I don't think it's likely to be worth selling them.

If they are really nice shoes, you could look for an organization that outfits homeless and/or poor, unemployed women in a nice interview outfit.

Or give to an organization that is a charity that gets money from what they sell in their thrift shops. Nearly all the thrift shops around here benefit someone: Goodwill, domestic violence, local schools, chronically mentally ill, etc.