Menu

What is your ALL TIME FAVORITE easy recipe?

My sister will be spending this coming weekend with me. We have dinner plans Friday and brunch plans Sunday, but I want to eat in for dinner on Saturday.

I'm looking for something easy (so it could be slow-cooker, even) but DELICIOUS. My sister always manages to throw together stuff to eat when I'm there that tastes gourmet but really didn't take much effort. I'd like to return the favor (and also without much effort). We don't get a lot of time together and I don't want to spend it in the kitchen. Keep in mind that I'm The World's Slowest and Messiest Cook. Officially. That's why I capitalized. :D

I make The World's Best chicken and dumplings (again with the capitalization ) but I had that last week and don't feel like making it again. I also make The world's Best lasagna, but it's a pain.

Help me! What can I make that will be simple but worthy?

My absolute favorite easy-but-looks-awesome meal is eggs poached in tomato sauce. You make a nice red sauce in a pan, hollow out some little areas for the eggs, then crack them in. Cover it up and remove it from the heat and they'll poach in about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, take a nice crusty loaf of bread, slice it up thick, brush it with olive oil and pop it in the oven under the broiler for a few minutes to toast it up.

Ladle the eggs and sauce over the bread slice, add a spinach salad on the side, and finish with a glass of wine. Yum...

That's funny. My mother can make one simple thing, dirty every single dish in her house and look like one hundred people cooked Thanksgiving in her kitchen.

Do something simple like a taco bar or something.

This is me! I don't know what my problem is. I think it's a disease.

Taco bar? I love a taco bar, but that's not what I'm looking for. I want it to be easy but SEEM at least a little special, and not-so-easy, kwim? For example, last time she was here I made Italian cube steaks. I love them, and they're pretty darned easy, but taste completely gourmet.

LOL.... Ina Garten has so many good recipes that are elegant and easy. You can look some up on the Food Network.

What is your chicken and dumplings? Is it like a stew base? You could do that in a casserole dish and bake biscuits on the top. That looks nice.

Super easy and excellent - it is the family favorite here (even with the children).

Pesto Asparagus and Chicken

Chicken breast (how many depends on the family size; I use one whole breast per person generally, knowing that the younger children tend to only eat a half) - halve and gently pound

Pesto

Heavy Cream

One bunch of asparagus, cut into one inch pieces

Rigatoni

Cracked pepper

Sea Salt

Apply pepper and salt to raw chicken breast as desired. Saute chicken breast halves in olive oil over medium high heat until cooked through (about 5 minutes per side). Set aside.

In same skillet (with a bit of additional olive oil), saute asparagus until JUST softened. Add heavy cream to mixture, bring to a soft boil; add pesto (about 2 tablespoons) and stir into cream/asparagus mixture; let simmer on low for a couple minutes or until cream and pesto start to thicken. Add chicken back into the mixture (well integrated into sauce) and let simmer for another few minutes.

Serve over al dente rigatoni.

Not gourmet - but it tastes like it. Even my Most Awesome Cook In The World Husband (capitalized! lol) loves it.

Caesar salad - chop romaine lettuce, top with croutons and Parm

Baked potato - poke with fork, cook in microwave

Steamed broccoli - steam on stove

To create this lovely meal you've used a knife, a fork, and a steamer pot.

You could even put some baby carrots into the steam first then add broccoli since it takes less time to cook. Thus rounding out the meal a bit.

BBQ!

Rub a pork butt with spices/salt/garlic. Stick in in a roaster pan with a lid on, and bake it at 250F for 8-10 hours. By this time it should shred easily with a fork and you can serve it with buns and your favorite bbq sauce.

You can make cole slaw ahead of time, or just buy some. A can of baked beans is good, too.

Sometimes I put the pork in the oven before bed, but its good smells wake me up during the night.

I make this frequently for company and it is always a hit!

BBQ!

Rub a pork butt with spices/salt/garlic. Stick in in a roaster pan with a lid on, and bake it at 250F for 8-10 hours. By this time it should shred easily with a fork and you can serve it with buns and your favorite bbq sauce.

You can make cole slaw ahead of time, or just buy some. A can of baked beans is good, too.

Sometimes I put the pork in the oven before bed, but its good smells wake me up during the night.

I make this frequently for company and it is always a hit!

You can do this in a slow cooker, too. Always a hit with family and guests around here.

I recently discovered this recipe earlier this year and it has quickly become a family favorite. It tastes restaurant good, but is really easy!

Five Star Pork Chops

I serve it with mashed potatoes since the sauce the chops are cooked in makes a delicious gravy.

Oh, yeah....this is perfect! I actually made something really similar to this a few weeks ago. Easy and delicious. I served it with quinoa, I think. Maybe I'll try it with the mashed potatoes next time. Yum!

Super easy and excellent - it is the family favorite here (even with the children).

Pesto Asparagus and Chicken

Chicken breast (how many depends on the family size; I use one whole breast per person generally, knowing that the younger children tend to only eat a half) - halve and gently pound

Pesto

Heavy Cream

One bunch of asparagus, cut into one inch pieces

Rigatoni

Cracked pepper

Sea Salt

Apply pepper and salt to raw chicken breast as desired. Saute chicken breast halves in olive oil over medium high heat until cooked through (about 5 minutes per side). Set aside.

In same skillet (with a bit of additional olive oil), saute asparagus until JUST softened. Add heavy cream to mixture, bring to a soft boil; add pesto (about 2 tablespoons) and stir into cream/asparagus mixture; let simmer on low for a couple minutes or until cream and pesto start to thicken. Add chicken back into the mixture (well integrated into sauce) and let simmer for another few minutes.

Serve over al dente rigatoni.

Not gourmet - but it tastes like it. Even my Most Awesome Cook In The World Husband (capitalized! lol) loves it.

That looks delicious. Thank you!

My absolute favorite easy-but-looks-awesome meal is eggs poached in tomato sauce. You make a nice red sauce in a pan, hollow out some little areas for the eggs, then crack them in. Cover it up and remove it from the heat and they'll poach in about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, take a nice crusty loaf of bread, slice it up thick, brush it with olive oil and pop it in the oven under the broiler for a few minutes to toast it up.

Ladle the eggs and sauce over the bread slice, add a spinach salad on the side, and finish with a glass of wine. Yum...

I would never in a million years think of combining eggs with a red sauce. I'm definitely going to have to try this one.

Mix 1 can whole-berry cranberry sauce, 1 package onion soup mix, and 1 c. catalina dressing. Marinate 4-8 chicken breasts, cut in half the flat way to make two servings, in that for at least 2 hours or overnight (or in the freezer!). Pour all into 9x13 pan, distributing the chicken, and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.

I adapted this one from a cookbook.... can't remember which...

This is my go-to dish for company. http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/recipes/Foolproof_Sticky_Chicken.htm

I've switched it up at times for a slightly different taste. Sometimes instead of onions I'll use lemons or oranges inside. If I don't have the spices on hand I'll just season it well with seasoning salt. As the recipe says, the method is really more important than the ingredients you use. Every time I've served it everyone has loved it.

subscribing to this thread.

Every.thing.I.make.tastes.like casserole.

What the heck is wrong with me to make that happen?

LOL

I have a confession to make. I never volunteer to make food to bring to church groups/sick/etc because I can never think of food "good enough" for them. Pathetic, I know. LOL

I would love EASY impressive (that isn't too $$$$) to make.

Hubby is a foodie. totally married the wrong gal for that! haha

subscribing to this thread.

Every.thing.I.make.tastes.like casserole.

What the heck is wrong with me to make that happen?

LOL

I have a confession to make. I never volunteer to make food to bring to church groups/sick/etc because I can never think of food "good enough" for them. Pathetic, I know. LOL

I would love EASY impressive (that isn't too $$$$) to make.

Hubby is a foodie. totally married the wrong gal for that! haha

Stoppit you're making me sad!

My FAVORITE cook books are Barefoot Contessa. AND Cooks Illustrated. I have learned so much from that website. I subscribe to it online. You can give it a free 2 week trial. There is SO much information and how to videos etc.

Honey Mustard Curry Chicken

Equal parts honey & spicy mustard (2/3 cup each), 1-2Tcurry powder, 3-4T butter- melt together and pour over chicken breast, and bake.

Serve w/ rice, steam veg & salad. :tongue_smilie:

Ridiculously easy, sooo delicious and elegant (if you diagonally cut the chicken breast into slices and then spoon sauce over top).

I've made this for many guests and it has been a huge hit for most folks :)

Honey Mustard Chicken

3 lbs boneless chicken breasts – can cut into pieces

4 TBSP butter

½ cup honey

¼ cup prepared mustard

1 tsp salt

1 tsp curry powder

Melt butter. Combine ingredients. Bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes. Thicken sauce if desired with gravy flour (Wondra). Serve over rice.

Balsamic Chicken

¼ cup balsamic vinegar

¼ cup honey

¼ cup olive oil

2Tbsp fresh or 1 tsp dried rosemary

1 tsp salt

3 lbs boneless chicken breasts

Combine 1st 5 ingredients. Whisk. Marinate chicken in a ziplock bag 2+hrs (but I rarely bother). Put in a 13x9 baking dish and bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes, basting occasionally. Thicken sauce with gravy flour or reduce in oven after removing chicken. Serve over rice or pasta.

That's funny. My mother can make one simple thing, dirty every single dish in her house and look like one hundred people cooked Thanksgiving in her kitchen.

Do something simple like a taco bar or something.

Taco Bar is dangerous for those of us who dirty every dish when cooking. I love serving it, but it's never as simple or easy as it sounds.

My simplest dishes use sausage for flavor. I like to fry pierogies in butter with onions and serve it with kielbasa. That's one dish if you have a large skillet.

Also, hot Italian sausages fried up with peppers, potatoes, and onions is easy.

Neither is really gourmet, but they're tasty, filling, quick, and dirty one pan.

Would you be willing to cheat on your lasagna and do the version where you bake large, filled raviolies with sauce and cheese (and maybe meat?). You could assemble ahead of time and just bake.

Mix 1 can whole-berry cranberry sauce, 1 package onion soup mix, and 1 c. catalina dressing. Marinate 4-8 chicken breasts, cut in half the flat way to make two servings, in that for at least 2 hours or overnight (or in the freezer!). Pour all into 9x13 pan, distributing the chicken, and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.

I adapted this one from a cookbook.... can't remember which...

I have been making this with Orange Marmelade and it is delicious! I don't marinate it at all. I cut up the chix breasts into strips and then bake it covered for 45 mins. I take the cover off and let it thicken. Serve with rice. Num!

Would you be willing to cheat on your lasagna and do the version where you bake large, filled raviolies with sauce and cheese (and maybe meat?). You could assemble ahead of time and just bake.

CHEAT on my lasagna? Never! That's blasphemous!

Ironically, I do use sausage in it..... :tongue_smilie:

I also make The world's Best lasagna, but it's a pain.

I don't know about best lasagna, but I can tell you the easiest lasagna...

Ingredients

1 pound ground beef

1 28-oz jar/can spaghetti sauce

1 1/2 cups water

15 oz Ricotta or small curd cottage cheese (I use a whole 21 oz container)

8 ounce shredded mozzarella or Monterrey Jack cheese; divided

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

2 eggs

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I use dried)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

8 oz UNCOOKED regular lasagna (9 pieces)

Method

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In 3-quart saucepan, brown meat; drain. Add spaghetti sauce and water; simmer about 10 minutes.

In bowl, stir together ricotta, one-half mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs, parsley, salt and pepper.

Pour about 1 cup sauce on bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish. Arrange 3 UNCOOKED pasta pieces lengthwise over sauce; cover with about 1 cup sauce. Spread one-half cheese filling over sauce. Repeat layers of pasta, sauce and cheese filling. Top with layer of pasta and remaining sauce; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.

Cover with foil. Bake 45 minutes. Remove foil; bake additional 15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. 10 to 12 servings.

Alternate Method: Recipe can be prepared with COOKED NOODLES following same instructions, except OMIT 1 1/2 cups WATER.

Roast chicken. Everything goes in the oven together, in a large roasting pan. Rub the chicken with olive oil or butter, salt, pepper, thyme. Add a bit of broth or water to the bottom. Add potatoes, whole carrots, halved onions (you can slice some and place under chicken). If you feel like it, cut some acorn squash in half, rub with some butter, cover with foil, put on a baking sheet with sides, and stick on another rack to cook. Or, do that before the you roast the chicken, and rewarm the squash when you take the cover off to brown the children. (You can also brown the chicken first, then cover. )

Prep is quick, and you don't even have to babysit the over.

Edited by LibraryLover

This looks and tastes delicious and is crazy easy.

Chicken with lemon and feta

Place boneless/skinless chicken breasts in baking dish

Salt and pepper, then juice 1/2 a lemon over the chicken

Crumble feta cheese over the chicken

Juice second half of lemon over chicken/cheese

Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes

Top with finely diced red bell pepper and put back in oven for 10 minutes or so

And this is a good one. It tastes like artichoke dip, but you can call it dinner.

Artichoke Chicken

Place boneless/skinless chicken breasts in baking dish

In a bowl mix canned quartered artichoke hearts, a glob of mayo (maybe half a cup?), about half a cup of parmesan cheese and some garlic powder or fresh minced garlic.

Spread artichoke mixture over chicken

Bake for about half an hour, until juices run clear and topping is bubbly.

Or, do that before the you roast the chicken, and rewarm the squash when you take the cover off to brown the children. (You can also brown the chicken first, then cover. )

Prep is quick, and you don't even have to babysit the over.

This typo was just too fun to pass up. :lol:

Chicken parmesan with a side of spaghetti and broccoli.

Linguine with white clam sauce (my family would eat this every day if I would let them).

My casual dish that all my friends and family ask me to make for every occasion is my white chicken chili.

Wait, I change my vote to linguine with clam sauce. You can cook the sauce, toss a salad, and heat some bread in the time it takes to make the pasta. Super Easy!