Menu

What movies do you watch over and over again?

My comfort food movies are:

Shawshank Redemption

The Green Mile

Harry Potter

Dirty Dancing (a childhood favorite, this one holds so many memories)

Twilight saga (its sheer stupidity and horrible acting never fail to cheer me up :tongue_smilie:)

The Fast & The Furious series

Pitch Black

Clue

One, Two, Three

Hopscotch

I forgot!: Some Like It Hot and The Count of Monte Cristo with Gerard Depardieu (sp?)

Those movies just never get old.

DH and dd14 have watched V for Vendetta twice and are planning on watching it again this weekend. They both swear it's the best movie they've ever seen.

Edited by Night Elf

interestingly most of the ones listed are ones of mine as well, especially casablanca, count of monte cristo (french version with depardieu, and the version from about 1937 with robert donat), shawshank, tom hanks and meg ryan movies, harrison ford movies. i will add a few i have not seen here yet,

lonesone dove, runaway jury, good will hunting, one eyed jacks, gladiator,

and some former favorites which after all these years i no longer watch much:

samurai trilogy, the twilight samurai, yojimbo, witness, the fugitive, amadeus, the sting, the amazing mr. toad, the deer hunter, true lies, blues brothers, witness for the prosecution, dr. strangelove, target, don juan de marco, city lights, the 39 steps, cars, affair to remember, field of dreams...

and on tv i have watched a lot of sherlock holmes with jeremy brett, hercule poirot with david suchet, and monk with tony shalhoub.

Edited by mathwonk

interestingly most of the ones listed are ones of mine as well, especially casablanca, count of monte cristo (french version with depardieu, and the version from about 1937 with robert donat), shawshank, tom hanks and meg ryan movies, harrison ford movies. i will add a few i have not seen here yet,

lonesone dove, runaway jury, good will hunting, one eyed jacks, gladiator,

and some former favorites which after all these years i no longer watch much:

samurai trilogy, the twilight samurai, yojimbo, witness, the fugitive, amadeus, the sting, the amazing mr. toad, the deer hunter, true lies, blues brothers, witness for the prosecution, dr. strangelove, target, don juan de marco, city lights, the 39 steps, cars, affair to remember, field of dreams...

and on tv i have watched a lot of sherlock holmes with jeremy brett, hercule poirot with david suchet, and monk with tony shalhoub.

I re-watched the Samurai Trilogy, Yojimbo, and City Lights this past month. My eight year old has become a major fan of Chaplin and Toshiro Mifune.

Lots of good ones on your list.

Bill (who is currently on a Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman jag)

i like groundhogs day too. including chris elliot, son of the famous bob elliot, of bob and ray.

And samurai fans check out twilight samurai, a poor downtrodden swordsman forced to sell his sword to feed his family, and fight with a substitute. sort of like musashi fighting with an oar.

Percy's Chocolate Crunch

Curious George

Misty Island Rescue

Oh, that's right. You meant movies for ME to watch. :tongue_smilie:

We own maybe 6 non-kids DVDs. I am not a repeated viewing sorta movie girl but we have watched each of these more than 2x:

Anne of Green Gables

Amelie

Spellbound

Running on Empty

Garden State

Garden State is personally hilarious to us because it is a love story shockingly similar to how ours unfolded. The first time we saw it, we both looked at each other several times at the same moment and then in the airport scene I just said "ok, I think the screenwriter must have literally overhead our exact conversation at SeaTac in 2000." It is really uncanny.

sullivan's travels, which explains why i understood the reference in the cohen brothers' movie "brother where art thou". (that was the idealistic movie title the director who is the main character of sullivan's travels always wanted to film).

ok, i have odd tastes, but trust me here, many of you will enjoy: "enchanted april". a couple of discouraged English women take a much needed and wonderful vacation in italy. delightful acting and a beautiful story that will make you want to go immediately to Italy.

http://www.amazon.com/Enchanted-April-Josie-Lawrence/dp/B004SIP7D0/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1350097910&sr=1-1&keywords=enchanted+april

according to the reviews however one must be careful to get the right transfer.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3711XJQ64QOTO/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R3711XJQ64QOTO

Edited by mathwonk

The LadyKillers (1959)

The Fog of War and anything else by Errol Morris

Seven Samurai

Some Like it Hot

The Big Lebowski

Last Tango in Paris (only with an audience, I'm fascinated by the wide range of reactions to this movie)

12 Angry Men (Fonda)

Every Man For Himself and God Against All (Enigma...)

Hitchcock

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf

Much of Keaton and Chaplin

Titus (Hopkins and Lange)

Winter Kills

A New Leaf

and

Nothing But A Man, because I knew the director and heard so much about the filming.

Metropolitan, because I knew the film editor and heard so much about it.

Edited by kalanamak

LOTR Trilogy (extended)

Star Wars (all of them, though the originals definitely get watched more than the prequels)

Star Trek (new)

The Fifth Element

Stargate

Avenger-type movies (Iron Man 1&2, Thor, Captain American, the Avengers)

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

Oceans 11, 12, and 13

The Bourne Identity, Supremacy, and Ultimatum

Kingdom of Heaven

Troy

V for Vendetta

Taken

Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick

The Pacifier

Zoolander

3:10 to Yuma

Fools Gold

P.S I Love You

RENT

The Incredibles

Aladdin

Beauty and the Beast

Between myself, DH, and DS1 those get watched at least once a month. Most of them more than that. What can I say... DH and I really love watching movies.

I am such a repeat movie kinda girl. Here are some of the top ones I have watched over and over.

Princess Bride

Ever After

Knights Tale

Much Ado About Nothing

Adventures in Babysitting

Lady Hawke

Australia

While you Were Sleeping

BBC Pride and Prejudice

Labyrinth

Clue

City of Ember

Sahara

The Secret World of Arriety (newer favorite)

Oh and so many more. :)

I never get tired of these.

Moon

Free Enterprise

Shakes the Clown

Raiders of the Lost Ark

almost anything with Toshiro Mifune

anything by Wes Anderson

Whiskey Galore

Better Off Dead

Say Anything

The Hudsucker Proxy

O Brother Where Art Thou?

Miller's Crossing

Before Sunrise

I re-watched the Samurai Trilogy, Yojimbo, and City Lights this past month. My eight year old has become a major fan of Chaplin and Toshiro Mifune.

I've had a decades' long hard crush on Toshiro "I just want to make good shoes" Mifune. :D

• 2 weeks later...

My comfort movies are:

Finding Nemo (now in French)

Billy Elliot

A League of Their Own

Casablanca

Braveheart (as of late)

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Waking Ned Divine

Jurassic Park

I did go through a terrible The Full Monty phase. Not that I am proud or anything. lol

Edited by LibraryLover