Menu

How would you feel about moving to a state with a bad stereotype?

Do you care if your state is dorky or cool?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you care if your state is dorky or cool?

• I live in a cool state and I would not move to a dorky state because that would be dorky
    • I live in a cool state and will live wherever I choose; I'll turn a dorky state cool by being there.
    • I live in a dorky state and I don't care and don't plan to move.
    • I live in a dorky state and I keep my old college car tags so nobody will know
    • I'm a Jethdorkian and I'm extremely offended!
    • What in the world are you talking about?

There are a lot of states that I think have dorky connotations. My state is incredible, although I grew up believing that my state and the entire South was, well, I wouldn't use the term dorky. Mentally Slow and Redneck maybe. But my understanding of "cool" has changed dramatically, so I believe I could come to love pretty much any place if given enough time to undestand and love a few people there.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is so funny. It hasn't been my experience at all. I live in SW MI if that matters. What do you think outsiders think of us? I doubt they give any thought to our state animal/bird. I didn't even know what they were. My dh grew up near where we live and when we went to his reunion' date=' 90 percent of his class still lives in the same town. Though everyone seems to make an annual trip to FL, I swear that's the only time they leave the state. All the rest of their vacations are right here![/quote']

I also live in SW Michigan. It is a wonderful place to live with diversity, awesome scenery, thriving businesses, and many good colleges. The state is filled with trees and a drive from our home in the country to the nearest city is gorgeous in the fall. We grew up in central Michigan, which is farm country and I love the casual, laid back culture there. The biggest problem with Michigan is the cold, but at least we have bragging rights with the amount of snow we get.

Detroit is not all bad,either. Our middle son was born there!;)

Our kids have loved our Michigan vacations. From sand dunes to Mackinac Island, it rocks!

Wait a minute! You mean people have actually heard of Nebraska?!?! We mustn't be as dorky as I thought.

Are you kidding?! North Platte, NE has a shop that sells Thorsen's Toffee. You can't get any more fabulous than that. Plus, I would say it's the flattest place ever so that makes it interesting. And I loved Wild Kingdom as a child, which was sponsored by Mutual of Omaha. (are you singing that song now?)

I live in a land of plenty, and I'm proud of it.

Here in MA we have... wonderful history around every corner, the ocean in my backyard, scholarly ideals with fantastic school systems and universities, freedom to marry whomever one pleases, witches of Salem that are wonderful people to know, we had a Morman governor and we can all still get along. I love this little slice of heaven that I call home!

Are you kidding?! North Platte, NE has a shop that sells Thorsen's Toffee. You can't get any more fabulous than that. Plus, I would say it's the flattest place ever so that makes it interesting. And I loved Wild Kingdom as a child, which was sponsored by Mutual of Omaha. (are you singing that song now?)

Also, anyone who says NE is not cool has clearly never been to the Omaha Zoo! :D

Jersey has such a bad reputation. I promise you we are not all like Snookie or Teresa Giudice (Jersey Housewives). ;)

I love living in Jersey. It's perfect...except the property taxes :blink:

Jon Bon Jovi is from (and I believe lives in) Jersey.

All is forgiven for having spawned that lovely specimen. I were American, which I'm not, but still...Jon :001_wub:

I wouldn't move to WV. I don't want to be a homeschooler who cuts hair at home living in WV. It has too much joke potential.:D

Ah! This happened to meeeeeeee. . . . . . .

We had just moved to Alabama. I saw a billboard by the side of a road, advertising "beauty salon" - Bobbie's Kut N Kurl.

I know, I know. I should have known what I was getting in to. But I was from the North dontcha know.

It was a trailer.

And yes, I stayed. And ALL of my kids got their hair cut.

I think my 20yo is STILL traumatized by that visit. :glare:

But it's a whole lot more expensive to live in and harder to homeschool in Florida! ;)

I find homeschooling in Florida incredibly easy. COL really depends on where in Florida.

Seriously, it's called The Garden State for a reason, people.

Wendi

Forty three years after moving away and I have still never tasted a tomato as good as a Jersey tomato.

Excuse me. We are now referred to as "the landmass between Mobile and New Orleans."

I grew up in NJ (when people find out, they ask why I don't have an accent then proceed to speak to me in a Long Island accent... I'm getting better at not sighing)

I cringe every time I tell people I'm originally from NJ and they say, "Oh, Joy-Zee". Um, no. Just no.

Some more lyrics for you, Bill:

Well, I've been to Alabama, people - ain't a whole lot to see

Skynyrd says it's a real sweet home, but it ain't nothin' to me

Charlie Daniels will tell you the good Lord lives in Tennessee

I'm goin' back to the Gator Country where the wine and the women are free

There's a gator in the bushes, he's calling my name (and he says...)

Come on, boy, you better make it back home, again

Many roads I've travelled - they all kinda look the same

There's a gator in the bushes, Lord, he's calling my name

Old Richard Betts will tell you, Lord, he was born a Ramblin' Man

Well, he can ramble on back to Georgia and I won't give a dam(n)

Elvin Bishop out struttin' his stuff with little Miss Slick Titty Boom

I'm goin' back to the Gator Country and get me some elbow room

There's Marshall Tucker ridin' the rainbow, searchin' for a pot of gold

They can take the highway, baby - take all they can hold

The Outlaws down in Tampa town is a mighty fine place to be

They got green grass and they got high tides, and it sure looks good to me

Oh, Gator Country

Little of that chomp, chomp

"Gator Country", Molly Hatchet

I'm not sure what the relative coolness factor is of various states. But I've lived in rural (uncool) parts of NY and MA. I've also lived in Chicago and Southern California. THey all had positives. Honestly, where I grew up and where I live now (both rural parts of NY state) can be a PITA in terms of stereotypes. I say I'm from upstate NY, and people think I mean the NYC suburbs. Or Brooklyn. I live about 7 hours from NYC. Yes, there's still some NY state up here. However, there's no cool stuff like in the city and my life does not remotely look like what you think a NYC life should look like. Frankly, growing up I identified more with the West Virginia stereotypes. Rural. Poor. Everyone has the same last name. Where I am now seems better, but still...

My family is here though, and I actually like the weather (yes, weird=me). Cost of living is pretty low (also contrary to stereotype). It's supposed to be an awful state to HS in, but frankly it doesn't seem that bad. I'll find out in 2 years when I have to start reporting.

There are several states I would not choose to live in, but that is mostly an issue of legal protection or climate (I don't handle heat). So a good chunk of the South is off the list for us.

Almost heaven, West Virginia

Blue Ridge Mountains

Shenandoah River -

Life is old there

Older than the trees

Younger than the mountains

Growin' like a breeze

Country Roads, take me home

To the place I belong

West Virginia, mountain momma

Take me home, country roads

Stop! Stop it, I say! :crying: (Something is terribly wrong with this picture. One of Bill's posts made me misty-eyed? Or maybe it's the wine- but I have only had a couple of sips!)

eta: Oh, yeah. I'd live in a state some consider dorky. But then again, I'm not sure any state could be worse than NY. Between the taxes, the irritating homeschool laws, the taxes, the weather, and the taxes, it pretty much stinks!

Edited by flutistmom

:lol:

Well, Mt. Airy is cool and Columbia is uber-cool. Think Pasadena, or Glen Burnie. I can't help my un-cool roots. At least I moved!:D

I grew up in Columbia, MD. It is über cool. However, I went to the high school known as The Zoo on 32. Cathie went to the ultra chic high school on the other side of the tracks. We had a meat locker in Mt. Airy. One of my DH's college roommates was from Pasadena, MD. He now lives in the ultra fab Chapel Hill, NC. And Glen Burnie, isn't that where the DMV is? One of my college roommates was from Bowie. She also now lives in Research Triangle, NC, although not with DH's roommate. (That would be too cute, wouldn't it?)

I hope y'all know I'm teasing. I've bounced back and forth from AL to MS my whole life and rural MS is a pretty nice place to live.

I suspected so. We're all just a tad touchy here after that "landmass" fiasco during hurricane Isaac. :tongue_smilie: And one news channel regularly mislabels its weather maps, switching MS and AL. :glare:

I suspected so. We're all just a tad touchy here after that "landmass" fiasco during hurricane Isaac. :tongue_smilie: And one news channel regularly mislabels its weather maps, switching MS and AL. :glare:

That one really ticked me off too, and I always enjoy making fun of MS. (But only because I grew up in Louisiana. We have to feel better about being ranked 49th in the country. And y'all have Ole Miss. This Tiger fan just cannot deal with that:tongue_smilie:)

Now I will be up all night wondering if Arizona is cool. :001_huh: :glare: :D

Wendi

Arizona is definitely cool! You have the Grand Canyon!

I'm so curious to know what state you are considering moving to!

We are considering a move from Texas (way cool) to New Jersey (way not cool). So, no, I wouldn't let stereotypes stop you. Or at least try and find out how much you think the stereotypes are based in truth! We visited New Jersey and didn't feel like our stereotypes matched the area at all.

Will somebody do the cool state poll now?!?

I grew up in Columbia, MD. It is über cool. However, I went to the high school known as The Zoo on 32. Cathie went to the ultra chic high school on the other side of the tracks.

The funny part about that is my boyfriend went to your "Zoo" and yours went to my ultra chic high school....

I live in North Texas, and there's parts of it that are cool, and a lot of it that is uncool.

Definitely better places to live, especially in terms of air quality. The air quality here is abysmal--like, EPA-mandating-all-gas-stations-in-this-region-to-use-ethanol abysmal. This area constantly rates an "F" in terms of ozone and particulate matter. Very bad for people who have respiratory illnesses. We had so many "Orange" days this past summer, it's not even funny. Plus, it's a horrid place if you have grass, tree pollen, or mold allergies.

Along those lines, the high ways here are just trashed. I don't know what the problem is, considering how many freakin' inmates we have in this state. We should have the cleanest highways. But there is always tons of litter on the roads. :001_huh:

Also, the property taxes here are really high. A $120,000 ranch home in a typical suburban neighborhood will garner about $3,500 a year in property taxes.

Next: I'm not too keen on the guy in the governor's mansion.

Beaches are okay, but not kept very clean. Thanks to the off shore drilling and the refineries in Houston, there's a lot of pipelines and dirty processing along the shoreline, the closer you get to Galveston. You have to go clear to South Padre to get really nice beaches and water.

Wages are generally lower here than in many other parts.

Health insurance premiums in this state the most expensive in the country.

Also most expensive in the country: youth ice hockey. :glare:

Auto insurance is likewise more expensive here than anywhere else I've lived.

That's probably because most Texans drive like maniacs. I have seen more cars driving the wrong way here, go air borne, flip, roll, spin out, and engage in fantastic fiery crashes in just a few years than I saw all the years I lived in NC, VA, and PA put together. They are flippin' nuts here.

Good things: non-existent home school regulation (I guess that could bad, too though). You don't have to file nothin', tell nobody nothin', show nobody nothin'. :)

Austin and San Antonio: Austin has a really cool alternative vibe, and great music scene. San Antonio is beautiful and has tons of historical buildings (yes, and it has the Alamo).

Mild winters.

Lots of theme parks, zoos, sports, family activities (if you are in a big city).

Cost of living is overall pretty low.

Lots of diversity of people here. Our neighbors are made up of people from Indonesia, Africa, Europe. It's really cool.

Relatively low cost of public universities, with a considerable number to choose from.

There's more, but that's all I can think of now.

If I had my choice of states to live in, I'd probably choose one of these three: Washington, Mass., or NC. Maybe Wisconsin as a runner-up.

My dh and I would like and are planning to move to Canada. Our preferences would be BC, Quebec, and NS.

I kind of "get" this... I grew up in smalltown, SC, and always thought it was dorky. Now we live in Northern Virginia, which I think is pretty cool. We moved to WV for a couple of years and back to NOVA. Strange place, WV. We noticed several odd things there. I won't go into detail :glare:. We moved to NC for 4 years and back to NOVA again. North Carolina wasn't so bad, and not quite as dorky as SC, but I still love NOVA.

I've always wanted to live someplace that gets lots of snow. That would be cool. :tongue_smilie:

I grew up in

--cool. (Sorry, couldn't find the lyrics.)

Now I live in GA. Is that cool?

I've lived in states I didn't think I'd want to live in, namely MS, AR and TX. I ended up enjoying my time there.

I've said I didn't want to live in an I state. So far so good. ;)

I grew up in an unpopular city. So unpopular that when you tell people where you're from, they'll often say, "I'm sorry." Now, it wasn't that bad. It has many good points and really lovely people. But when I had the chance to choose where I live, I picked a place very far away and very different.

I live in Michigan, the stench, of the cesspool, of the economic crisis and a place that always manages to have public officials who come up with the most insane plans (one year, the mayor of Flint announced he was thinking of cutting down all of the trees on every city property - even the parks - and selling the lumber to pare down the city debt...it would have been a piddly amount of money anyway!!!! :glare:). Then there is the age old fight over whether or not the U.P. should leave Michigan and join Wisconsin - oh yes, the old timers still like to keep that alive - or the fishermen who thought that the DNR should poison the zebra mussels (hello, McFly...think man...what else will that kill??????) or whose schools routinely fire teachers and para professionals citing budget deficits but ROUTINELY increase school sports' budgets by large numbers, and where you can indicate where you live by holding up your right hand and pointing (if your veins are prominent, this also works as a map for showing where I-75 cuts through the state or other major thoroughfares :lol:). Wait, I just remembered our state animal is an animal that has never made Michigan it's home except in the rare, northernmost reaches such as Isle Royale - the Wolverine and now we do not have one.single.state.animal. living in the state, yet our state bird, the Robin, is so common it's laughable! Oh, and we are home to the two worst cities in the U.S. for violent crime, Detroit and Flint.

You get my drift. WE AREN'T NORMAL HERE!

But, hey homeschool laws are lovely, the scenery is beautiful, and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.

Faith

Awww, Faith beat me to it! About that 'hand map' thing; that's the whole joke in my 'location', lol. Oh but Faith, you *did* forget to mention the previous mayor of Detroit, Mr. Kilpatrick, and all his nefarious deeds.

And have I ever mentioned that I live in a suburb BETWEEN Flint and Detroit?! Now, it's rather safe where I live; but still.

But like Faith says, Michigan can also be a great place to live. It's beautiful here, homeschooling laws are super easy, and (if you are lucky enough to find a good job), the COL is low.

Yes, I'm sure it matters where you've spent time. I've always lived on the east coast; always lived in MD, in fact, so of course I could be totally wrong about how someone in OK feels about TX, say.

TX seems super-cool to me. When I was vacationing in CO, I got pulled over for speeding in my red rental car with TX plates. I'm convinced it was the TX plates that got the cop's attention. He said, "See that plucky chic in the red Texas car? I need to put her down a notch!" :lol:

Of course you were pulled over for TX plates. If you go from TX to NM - don't even pretend to go a hair over the speed limit - one of the border towns (TX/NM border) actually got in trouble because they only wrote tickets to TX residents for an entire year! Seriously! Of course, the speed limit is still 55 on state highways in NM - kills me every time we go there!!!

And yes, TX is super-cool! We too have mountains (sort-of) and beach, it would just take you two days to make the trip!

I grew up in Columbia, MD. It is über cool. However, I went to the high school known as The Zoo on 32. Cathie went to the ultra chic high school on the other side of the tracks. We had a meat locker in Mt. Airy. One of my DH's college roommates was from Pasadena, MD. He now lives in the ultra fab Chapel Hill, NC. And Glen Burnie, isn't that where the DMV is? One of my college roommates was from Bowie. She also now lives in Research Triangle, NC, although not with DH's roommate. (That would be too cute, wouldn't it?)

Wagners? Rock the meat lockers. That's where we got our fair steers butchered! Oh, and yes, Glen Burnie for the MVA - we don't call it DMV anymore. Speedy place. If you have 12 hours to kill, that's your place.

Arizona is definitely cool! You have the Grand Canyon!

I'm so curious to know what state you are considering moving to!

We are considering a move from Texas (way cool) to New Jersey (way not cool). So, no, I wouldn't let stereotypes stop you. Or at least try and find out how much you think the stereotypes are based in truth! We visited New Jersey and didn't feel like our stereotypes matched the area at all.

Will somebody do the cool state poll now?!?

I just can't say. I'm bound to hurt somebody's feelings. Hint: the state has been mentioned in this thread numerous times.

Of course you were pulled over for TX plates. If you go from TX to NM - don't even pretend to go a hair over the speed limit - one of the border towns (TX/NM border) actually got in trouble because they only wrote tickets to TX residents for an entire year! Seriously! Of course, the speed limit is still 55 on state highways in NM - kills me every time we go there!!!

And yes, TX is super-cool! We too have mountains (sort-of) and beach, it would just take you two days to make the trip!

Yeah, good point. The cop thought I was being cheeky, because he said, "You *smiled* at me as you sped past!" I was smiling because of all the pretty scenery on the way to Royal Gorge!

Edited by Quill

I think I'm such a whopping dork, that the dorkiness of each state would be the appeal. I miss Wisconsin for it's cheese hats, bratwurst and camping. Cool place to grow up. I miss Australia for its chill attitude, chicken flavored french fries, and killer beaches. I miss NY for the hiking, apple picking and the city. And I love Texas for the bravado (I still want a Texas shaped waffle maker), BBQ and manicured subdivisions. I've never wanted to move, but each change has been fun! :)

I don't mind the state we live in (TX) but I sure as heck wouldn't have chosen this particular city. It is just so alien for me. I do try to find the good in it. The mountains are beautiful in the morning sun. The jackrabbits are entertaining. The people are friendly to me even if many do not share that experience. The drivers are insane but fortunately, everything is so crammed together that you never have to drive far. I can get Mexican bottled Coca-cola...that's a big plus. We have a great Boy Scout troop and I like my house.

But I am looking forward to next move and hope it's not to a smaller town in a bigger desert.

There are places I don't want to live, but I can't say it's due to the dorkiness (or lack thereof) of the people. It's due to their location or climate or topography. There are all sorts of people pretty much everywhere - even within states.

I love PA. I grew up thinking PA would be better if it were chopped off and placed on the other side of CA, but that's because it was a long state on our way to vacation in FL and we were just on the boring highway at the time. It's been a great place to live and raise boys - at least - I like where we live. Some other areas in the same state wouldn't fit us. Someone solely seeing the highway could easily have my first impression of the state as a whole.

I chose "I live in a cool state... and would not live in a dorky state" but that's not entirely true. I've lived in three states: cool-dorky-cool in that order. ;)

I grew up in an area of my "cool" state that upon mentioning it to my future FIL at the time, struck fear in his heart and caused him to ask hubby to "seriously consider" who he was going to marry! My hubby's response was that once FIL got to know me, FIL would love me like a girl from "an *I* state." (hee, hee!)

I had some "say" about our move to the cool state I live in now and there were definitely some places I was not willing to even consider, but it was mostly topography and demographics that made certain places a no-go.

OP, I don't know if any of this helps you. You have to decide what you can "live" with and what would absolutely drive you bonkers if you had to live in a place like that.

If a wonderful situation presented itself, I would not rule out any state.

Well, that's a lie. I hate to be frozen. I love ME and VT, for instance, but could not live there because of the long winters and cold, muddy springs. If I am totally honest, NH's Live Free or Die motto sits wrong with me, since it's so combatitive. That gives me pause, although I have enjoyed many interesting sights in the state. The mountains are amazing.

Further, I love GA and LA, but a lot of folks would have negative thoughts about those states. I have negative thoughts about TX, but I think it would be interesting to live there. I get a wonderful thrill when in WV, VA, SC etc. There is something so special to me about certain parts of those states.

Some people think my state is too blue and snotty, but most everyone I know is friendly and generous. I appreciate Yankee Think on conservation, gardening, using up, doing without etc.

Edited by LibraryLover

I think it's funny how we all have different definitions of dorky.

DH and I would rather be dead than live in Texas. We hated the accents. We hated 10 gallon hats, drive through liquor stores, and scorpions in our hotel room. We could not get out of Texas fast enough and we both swore to never go there again, even for "fun." Every time DH gets a job offer from there we both giggle.

I don't particularly care for the second half of February but we need it. Winter kills bugs. And there's no way I'd ever be comfortable spraying as many chemicals as Texans must spray to keep scorpions out of their houses. :lol::lol:

Of course Hoosiers are dorky! :lol:

Just kidding. I'm from KY so you know we're allowed to tease each other around here. I know where I'm from, people think we are all inbred and don't wear shoes.:)

Yes, but you have all that Blue Grass and the horsies. :D

And Wendell Berry lives there...must be pretty cool.

Edited by Susan in TN

Just kidding. I'm from KY so you know we're allowed to tease each other around here. I know where I'm from, people think we are all inbred and don't wear shoes.:)

But you have biscuits and pie!

You should read bell hooks' book Belonging: A Culture of Place. :)

Kentucky is a nice state.