Menu

Opinions on video games

Your Video Game Policy  

1. 1. Your Video Game Policy

• Love them. Allow kids to play as much as they want.
    • Tolerate them. Allow kids to play within certain limits.
    • Hate them. Wont' allow them in the house.

I am opposed to video games, sort of. I think they're are OK in moderation. However, in my experience the more kids play, the more they want to play. I had an extreme example of this with my oldest ds who is now 21. He received his first game console from my parents at age 6, and it changed his life forever. For years he talked of nothing but Sonic the Hedgehog. He has Asperger's Syndrome, so he is particularly vulnerable to OCD behavior. I will always wonder what might have become his life long interest had he never been exposed to the Sega Genesis and Nintendo 64 all those years ago. Math, engineering, genetics, who knows? If allowed, say by grandma, ds21 could play for hours and hours when he was little. He would not stop to eat or go the bathroom. It was like he was transfixed. It always gave me the creeps. On the other hand, the video games became a great parenting tool because he was happy to give up any negative behavior to keep his privileges.

So now we don't have any in the house with the exception of some Vtech thing which my dh insisted was essential to the children's education. I put up a fuss to no avail. The children quickly grew bored with it. Now it's collecting dust. Plus, the kids are allowed to play certain games online, mostly things from the PBS Kids or something similar. Their computer time is restricted to 30 min. per day after lessons are all done. My dh says that I am overreacting to ds21's issues, and that I have depriving him and the younger children of good, wholesome fun, especially now that the Wii has come out.

I'm holding my ground. I tell dh if he wants to go bowling or play golf then go ahead, and take the kids. Isn't it better to go and do something rather than stand in front of the TV and pretend to do something? The kids have the rest of their lives to be borg drones (no I mean video game enthusiasts.) They only have a short time to be active, inquisitive children. I'm curious to see if I'm the only video game curmudgeon around.

When they first came out they were so laughably bad I wondered how anyone could stand them. But even then people were getting hooked. It's addictive, especially for boys.

I made a stand on the issue. No video games, no video game systems. You can play at someone else's house because that's at least somewhat social, but none at home.

I allow the boys a few computer games with strict limits, so I'm obviously not as strict as I'd like. DH got DS a computer when he was 2, with Freddie the Fish. And so it goes. We don't have any special control add-ons, so I think it's likely not as exciting as the guys would wish.

I have seen the kind of behavior that you saw in your son, so I understand why you are wary.

My son started playing computer games at age 2. When we went on vacation, he cried because he missed his game. At that early age, I saw the warning sign, and put restrictions on all of his screen time.

He can still play games, but never when we have company, and only after all work is done, and never more than an hour a day.

He is 12 now, and very well-balanced. He spends time outdoors, loves playing music and sports, and reads for pleasure.

I think it really depends on the personality of the kids. I could give my oldest unlimited screen time every day of her life, and she would choose to work instead. My 9 year old would play a lot at first, then go back to other hobbies.

I'm glad that my son's behavior was not so extreme that I had to ban video games altogether. He and I enjoy playing and it gives us a common bond at a kind of tricky age.

but I must admit that ds would rather be outside if he has someone to play with(he's an "only"). I limit game and computer time to one hour a day. The biggest problem ds has is that he doesn't know how to entertain himself, he has no imagination. He had a cast on his arm for 6 weeks and could not skateboard, bike, or jump on the trampoline. He was constantly saying there is nothing to do, and this is with the limits I put on the technology. I think that is mainly because of the TV time. I think one hour per day is the limit any kid should spend with video games/computer. I believe it is really detrimental to their creativity. With dh addicted to TV, he gets enough passive entertainment in the evening.

I love them. I had the original Pong in the 70's. We play them when ever the mood strikes. There are days that dd and I will play all day. Then there are times the consoles will sit idle for weeks.

I have noticed that when the the two neighbor boys come over to play they will sit there until I kick them off. I don't know if it is because they get "hooked" on the game or if they don't have game time at home and want to play while they can.

I allowed my son to play video games at other houses (when he was early teens they did a few all-nighters:tongue_smilie:)but we never had one. Just too addictive,IMO. My son is 16 and bought his own Wii. I don't limit his time, as long as chores, school etc. are done. This summer he is probably spending too much time on it, but I am hoping he learns to self-regulate. During the school year, he only has so much time because he is just too busy. He has seen friends who spend way too much time, and he has no desire to be that way.

Our video game rule is: all video games are turned off Mon.-Thurs. Only to be enjoyed Friday nights and weekends. I get lazier about it in the summer or vacations... and then I regret it because it affects their behavior... time to tighten up!

I marked "love them" since we're a big computer family. (Funny, since we're a no-tv family!) But we let dd play as much as she earns. Our poilcy is: 1 hour of academic work earns 15 minutes of Wii or online time. Since we rarely do more than 3-4 hours of schoolwork per day, it's pretty much self-limiting. Wii fit doesn't count as Wii time, since I'm actually happy to see dd doing the step aerobics and yoga!

-Robin

I can see their value and we allow dc to play in very small doses. It was dh's love of the *art* and design of early video games that sparked his interest in graphic design and computer generated art and now that pays the bills. :) So I can't be too fussy. He works for a gaming company now (new and tiny, but with big plans ;)), so some of his play is job related research. Or so he says. :001_huh:

But he's the first to put pretty tight limits on our kids playing time and if they don't turn the game off cheerfully when we say, then they lose that privilege for a short time.

I'm curious to see if I'm the only video game curmudgeon around.

You're not. I hate them. And my wife is perhaps more "militant" than I am in detesting them.

It will be "interesting" to see the battle of wills play out as my son (now 4 ) realizes all his friends have video-games (and they do) and he doesn't.

I will say, we've had a wonderful time with "Starfall" online, with the "phonics" and early readers (thanks to recommendations from this forum), but it doesn't stop the alarm bells from clanging in my head: "Gateway drug! Gateway drug!"

Bill (who can be can be "conservative" for being a Liberal)

Well, dh is a video game researcher. I think we have eleven (? I'd have to check how many are actually hooked up) game consoles connected to the TV right now... And quite a few handhelds and obviously a jillion games.

So it's *here*. But my kids actually play very little. I don't have set time limits for screen time, but they must ask my permission for any screen usage, and I only allow it in very limited quantities. Actually, ds plays more video games when his friends come over, 'cause they're always in awe, lol. And his friends all know that I don't allow game-only play dates -- they don't even ask at the beginning of a visit any more, but if they play outside or do some creative Playmobil thing for a while, I'll let them play video games for the last hour...

Luckily neither of my children are obsessive about games. If they were, I would have to take an even harder line about their usage. I don't believe that all game usage (or tv/movies or computer usage) is "bad", but it does take kids' time away from other activities, and excessive media input can cause adhd-like behavior in almost anyone (and dh would say that I'm a prime example, lol). So we practice moderation. But if I had a child who was obsessive about it, I think I would make the game stuff completely off limits.

One of ds' good friends has a tv and game systems in his room (as well as in the family room) and ds asked if he could buy a tv for his room. I just laughed at him. Told him, yes, when he has his own house, but not till then. ;)

I love video games but my kids still have limits.

:iagree: Well, love is kind of strong. We have several video games systems (played in spurts) and lots of computers for online games (but like another poster said, no TV). Still, the kids do have limits. I voted tolerate. But I more then tolerate. I even wish I played World of Warcraft.

We play them when ever the mood strikes. There are days that dd and I will play all day. Then there are times the consoles will sit idle for weeks.

I have noticed that when the the two neighbor boys come over to play they will sit there until I kick them off. I don't know if it is because they get "hooked" on the game or if they don't have game time at home and want to play while they can.

:iagree:

My kids like there video games but we've never had to put limits on them. They go in spurts. Sometimes they want to play them a lot, other times they just sit. Although as much as they may be "into" a game if dh or I say it's time to turn it off, there's never an issue. I guess if my kids started misbehaving because of them I may view them differently.

I don't really like video games, but find nothing wrong with them; it's just not my thing. However, there are some great family style games (Wii bowling, golf, boxing)! I limit the times DCs play on games. DS really would play all day, everyday. But he would play soccer all day everyday; golf all day everyday. Everything he does is addictive. The others play occasionally and really don't need to monitor time. Two hours every month or so is not a big deal IMO.

My question is why are you digging in your heels on this issue? Is it moral grounds? Not wanting the stress and noise of games?, etc. If you can find the bottom line reason, you'll know whether or not it's an issue in which to give in or truly say not-in-my lifetime! (I didn't have a chance as DH is a gadget guy and loves technology. The newer the game/system, the better.)

I'm in the minority on this issue. We have no limits on games. My children have always had access to computers and games and are still interested in other things. Sometimes, a child will engorge themselves in something they can't otherwise have. It's that whole forbidden fruit thing, IMHO.

I read an article once that studied a group of surgeons. The ones that had played video games had better hand/eye coordination than the ones that didn't. I always thought that was pretty cool. :)

Editing to add: While I'm typing this, my ds11 is playing a video game that requires problem solving skills. We find things to learn in every game we play.

We don't have a video game system and probably never will. DH is opposed to them more than I am, by the way. Even though he does play the occasional Age of Empires game.

We do allow the boys to play...very limited...tetris, chess, and a couple of other "puzzle" type games on the computer.

We havent invested in Wii yet or Nintendo Ds. But they do comp. games on Disney. They have a 30 min. time limit for the day. That is it.

Jet

I have a game addicted brother, who is 24 and still lives with mom. He's the NICEST guy you'll ever meet, but this is a serious problem. We will never own a traditional gaming system. I am not opposed to my kids playing on them at friend's homes. In fact, my 5yo gets so transfixed, we can have HOURS of adult conversation at our best friend's home. Which only solidifies that we won't buy one.

A caveat to my stance is that I am intrigued by the Wii system. The fact that it involves some physical movement just seems cool. If we ever did get one, time limits would be STRICT.

Do love or hate them. Some are good (like games that actually require some thinking, i.e. Civilization or chess). But I don't like the kill, death, kill ones. Not too much a problem having two girls. Harry Potter is about as violent as they get. :lol: Dh would rather play chess.

I'm in the minority on this issue. We have no limits on games. My children have always had access to computers and games and are still interested in other things. Sometimes, a child will engorge themselves in something they can't otherwise have. It's that whole forbidden fruit thing, IMHO.

I read an article once that studied a group of surgeons. The ones that had played video games had better hand/eye coordination than the ones that didn't. I always thought that was pretty cool. :)

Editing to add: While I'm typing this, my ds11 is playing a video game that requires problem solving skills. We find things to learn in every game we play.

I guessed from your avatar you'd have this opinion :D

I'm right there with you. We have 4 computers and several video game consoles, and we each have our own Nintendo DS so we can play 4 player games as a family. We love video games, and I see so much value in them that we don't put limits. My son, who is 8, has abandoned his DS for the time being in favor of spending his time on the computer playing Warcraft 3 and Heroes of Might and Magic V - usually with me and/or his dad. He's working on building his own maps and scenarios - something WAY to complicated for me to even bother with. The DS and Wii games they play help their reflexes, their coordination, and keep them MOVING (Wii Fit, Wii Sports, DDR) on days it's too hot to play outside. It's also just a really great thing to do as a family - since getting the Wii we hardly ever sit and play regular board games - playing Big Brain Academy, Wario Ware, Wii Sports, Smarty Pants, and other games just blows board games out of the water!

My older son is fine with video games, as is my husband and as are my brother and his sons. My younger son, though, is not. He becomes extremely hyper, agitated, and sometimes violent. He starts wanting to do nothing else. We were at the zoo once and he cried the whole time because it was "so boring" and he just wanted Lego Star Wars. So we have taken away the video games and at this time they're in a closet, but since we have serious issues with younger son each time they come out, they may leave the house altogether.

I don't really like video games, but find nothing wrong with them; it's just not my thing. However, there are some great family style games (Wii bowling, golf, boxing)! I limit the times DCs play on games. DS really would play all day, everyday. But he would play soccer all day everyday; golf all day everyday. Everything he does is addictive. The others play occasionally and really don't need to monitor time. Two hours every month or so is not a big deal IMO.

My question is why are you digging in your heels on this issue? Is it moral grounds? Not wanting the stress and noise of games?, etc. If you can find the bottom line reason, you'll know whether or not it's an issue in which to give in or truly say not-in-my lifetime! (I didn't have a chance as DH is a gadget guy and loves technology. The newer the game/system, the better.)

I dig my heels in because I've seen the potential harm they can cause. I've seen a little boy who wet his pants rather than pause the game to go to the bathroom. Also, I don't see enough benefit from the games to make up for the costs in time and money. Hand/eye coordination can be developed in other ways. As I said in my OP, I prefer we play golf or go bowling instead of pretending. My husband and sons are avid golfers anyway. We don't do play dates, so the kids have never seen VGs at anyone else house. They don't even know they're missing out. I figure when the kids are old enough to know how deprived they were by their mean old mother, they can work it out in therapy, and on their own dime,too. :D

It's funny because I'm liberal in many, many ways. But when it comes to VGs, Hannah Montana and those horrid Bratz dolls, I'm as conservative as they come. I guess everyone has to be a sourpuss about something.

I actually allowed video games into our home because of Austin's Aspergers! One of his therapists suggested it would be a good way to give him something to talk about and do with other boys his age. And it's the truth! But he is not like typical Aspies... the only thing he likes to do on the computer is check the Weather Bug. So we put limitations on the video games and it's not been an issue.

He also just got a Wii for his birthday. I swore we'd never have a big gaming system (Austin had a Gameboy and then got a PSP for Christmas). But I adore the Wii! It's so much fun and we're playing together!!

I dig my heels in because I've seen the potential harm they can cause. I've seen a little boy who wet his pants rather than pause the game to go to the bathroom.

If a child is using a video game to the extent that it is harming him - wetting his pants instead of stopping the game, still living at home as an adult because they can't quit playing, or any of the other issues mentioned in this thread - this is a parenting issue, not a video game issue.

A parent should monitor *everything* a child does, and if it is interfering with normal functioning in the life of the child, the parent needs to step in and take action. It might be a video game, it might be food, it might be a peer who negatively influences the child.

The video game isn't inherently evil, but it can cause harm when a parent isn't parenting. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings here, but I'm trying to imagine letting my son sit in front of a video game until he wet his pants. I can. not. imagine it. :rant:

The kids have the rest of their lives to be borg drones (no I mean video game enthusiasts.) They only have a short time to be active, inquisitive children.

That's how I feel, too. There are simply too many better things to do. Childhood is too short and too precious to waste any of it in front of a glowing screen.

Ds has video games. He's very self-regulating in his time, we've never had to set limits. He buys most of his own games, so it's an incentive to save money.

His friend is only allowed to play on the weekends and ironically he is obsessed about games. That is all he wants to do when he is with ds.

The video game isn't inherently evil, but it can cause harm when a parent isn't parenting. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings here, but I'm trying to imagine letting my son sit in front of a video game until he wet his pants. I can. not. imagine it. :rant:

Well and Legos certainly aren't evil, but my son has had an "oops" with not getting to the bathroom a time or two because he was so involved with what he was building. :001_huh: Neither is playing Star Wars with his friends...but sometimes that sucks him in and he gets distracted.... You're right Amy, it's a parents job to help a child learn when to step back, when to practice moderation, especially if they're the type of kid that just tends toward obsession or addiction.

You're not hurting my feelings. I'm sure it's difficult to imagine because you haven't walked in my shoes. My ds who had this issue didn't wet his pant because he was allowed to play for hours, but because he literally could not sense or feel anything outside the game. It happened when I let him play for 30 minute or his grandma let him play for 2 hours. He also had a serious fixation on Sonic the Hedgehog, his favorite VG character. No matter what anyone said to him, he perseverated about Sonic. As I said, this was a child with Asperger's, so the VGs were not the only issue. I did place rigid constraints on ds's access to VG early on - time limits, forced bathroom visits before and after playing, etc. (Even grandma was brought on board.) However, one cannot "parent" away obsessive-compulsive behavior. It must be addressed on many levels.

I'm proud to say that ds turned out OK. He is in college and living on his own now. I'll take all the credit for that. :D I realize that VG are not in and of themselves the evil. Still, the experience left a bad taste in my mouth. Kind of like relatives of alcoholics who choose not to drink.

My daughter has some, with specific limits. But I do have a ques, for all those dead set against them--do you let your kids watch tv? And isn't that actually worse?

Good question. It may well be worse. I haven't seen anyone who became fixated on TV like my oldest ds did with VG though. I do allow my kids to watch some TV, but within certain limits.

I agree with you 100%.

We do not have limits. Even more each child has his own computer. Ds11 has his computer, a tv, and a Wii in his room. Ds6 likes to keep his computer on his drawing table/school desk but he could have it moved into his room at anytime. Both have their own Nintendo DSs, actually DH and I also each have our own (mine is pink). Ds11 and DH both have their own PSPs. We have an Xbox 360 in the living room. Saying we have a lot of games would be a serious understatement.

We have taught the boys the importance of being responsible and doing your important work (school and chores for them) before playing both through words and example. Neither plays excessively, at least not in that mind numbed way that I do observe in children with parents that restrict video games.

People used to saying reading novels was a waste of time and addictive and rotted people's brains...all the same stuff that is said about video games and tv or any other "screen time" (I despise that term) activities.

We play together as a family on the 360 for several hours every week. Sometimes for a whole day on the weekend. We played Rock Band for two hours together this afternoon. The only rule we have before someone (and it applies to the adults too) plays alone on the 360 is that they make sure no else had plans for the tv at the same time and the volume is kept reasonable.

Most evenings DH will play something on xbox live while I watch and knit, crochet or read next to him.

Add me to the love video games category. We trust dd to set her own limits for the most part, and she does so quite well. One day, she might play, the next not. She has to get her schoolwork done in order to watch TV or play with anything, and sometimes the fact she knows she has a game she is about to beat is extra incentive to get done quicker. She doesn't take her Nintendo DS many places at all, and understands how tacky it looks for kids to play those in restaurants and other inapropriate places.

If I had a kid who only sat in front of a screen all day, I would consider it a character flaw and a flaw in my parenting. I wouldn't blame it on the video games.

I haven't read all the posts. We don't have any video games or anything to play them on (x-box, nintendo, etc.). I think they can be addicting (like these boards:D) and even lead to somewhat anti-social behavior depending on the child.

There are too many other wonderful ways to spend a day.

no game systems, no hand helds, no computer games. None. Ds has been allowed on occasion to play Playstation at his best friend's house, but we tell him when over there to always suggest something else instead. I agree with Soph the Vet- too many other good things to do. Dh is more opposed that I am. His foot is down on the subject.

ETA: We are the only family that we know of that doesn't have any sort of gaming system.

You're not hurting my feelings. I'm sure it's difficult to imagine because you haven't walked in my shoes. My ds who had this issue didn't wet his pant because he was allowed to play for hours, but because he literally could not sense or feel anything outside the game. It happened when I let him play for 30 minute or his grandma let him play for 2 hours. He also had a serious fixation on Sonic the Hedgehog, his favorite VG character. No matter what anyone said to him, he perseverated about Sonic. As I said, this was a child with Asperger's, so the VGs were not the only issue. I did place rigid constraints on ds's access to VG early on - time limits, forced bathroom visits before and after playing, etc. (Even grandma was brought on board.) However, one cannot "parent" away obsessive-compulsive behavior. It must be addressed on many levels.

I'm proud to say that ds turned out OK. He is in college and living on his own now. I'll take all the credit for that. :D I realize that VG are not in and of themselves the evil. Still, the experience left a bad taste in my mouth. Kind of like relatives of alcoholics who choose not to drink.

But you *did* parent. My point was that the video game isn't an evil entity. The combination of your son's specific characteristics with the video game was a bad one. So you intervened. What I'm saying is that when a parent sees a child doing something unhealthy and wrings their hands that it is such a terrible thing but doesn't step in, it isn't the "terrible thing" that's so terrible. (I'll admit from your first post about wetting himself, I did not have the impression that Aspberger's or any other mental health issues were involved, and I understand that Aspbergers's brings its own complicated set of issues to any equation.)

But a blanket - "no video games" or "unlimited video games" doesn't work across parenting anymore than most generalizations do. Plenty of kids use video games in a reasonable way by limiting themselves or by following parent-imposed limits. A few don't. But they ALL need a parent to keep an eye on things and be willing to be the bad guy if necessary.

It will be "interesting" to see the battle of wills play out as my son (now 4 ) realizes all his friends have video-games (and they do) and he doesn't.

I will say, we've had a wonderful time with "Starfall" online, with the "phonics" and early readers (thanks to recommendations from this forum), but it doesn't stop the alarm bells from clanging in my head: "Gateway drug! Gateway drug!"

You know, I don't think there *has* to be a battle of wills, even when he does find out that all of his friends have more video game access than he does. As I've said, we have tons of game stuff available in that it's in the house, but we keep pretty tight limits on *all* screen time. Some of ds' friends have games/tvs/computers in their rooms and totally unlimited access. My kids simply know that that's not the way it works in our house, and different families have different rules. I've explained the reasons why I don't think endless screen time is good for children, just as I've explained why we don't have certain foods readily available in our home. There may have been the occasional hint of a whine (and that's one of the things I think I did right from the beginning -- the rule has always been that *whining*, begging or arguing about screen time always results in getting *none* for a period of days proportional to the amount of ugliness displayed), but we've never had a "battle of the wills".

And, you know, in a way I'm going to agree with you about Starfall or other "educational games" as being "gateway drugs". lol... I just don't think they have particularly more value than "entertainment games" -- or that entertainment games are necessarily less educational than educational games. There are inherent disadvantages to *all* screen time -- but sometimes there are advantages that outweigh them... And there are plenty of allegedly educational games that are less well designed than some mainstream games meant for play (and again, vice versa).

In the end, I like maintaining both flexibility and parental authority in this area. It has worked well for us, and given me the power of discretion, which I find infinitely valuable when it comes to my children.

We play together as a family on the 360 for several hours every week. Sometimes for a whole day on the weekend.

Yes, fun, fun, fun! We just got a new game called Boom Blox for the Wii that was created by EA and Steven Spielberg. He wanted to create a game he could play with his kids. And I hear he's working on a couple of other games too.

We also got an Agatha Christy game for the Wii called And Then There Were None. While it's a one-player game, the entire family works together trying to figure it out.

I actually allowed video games into our home because of Austin's Aspergers! One of his therapists suggested it would be a good way to give him something to talk about and do with other boys his age. And it's the truth! But he is not like typical Aspies... the only thing he likes to do on the computer is check the Weather Bug. So we put limitations on the video games and it's not been an issue.

He also just got a Wii for his birthday. I swore we'd never have a big gaming system (Austin had a Gameboy and then got a PSP for Christmas). But I adore the Wii! It's so much fun and we're playing together!!

I had to laugh. One of my daughters is very good friends with a young man with Asperger's at our church. Guess what they talk about? Age of Empires, Halo, Lego Star Wars, etc.:D

We also got an Agatha Christy game for the Wii called And Then There Were None. While it's a one-player game, the entire family works together trying to figure it out.

What? There's an Agatha Christie game for the Wii? I. am. so. there. On to the topic at hand. My son loves video games. My hubby loves video games - he in fact wants to go back to school to finish up his programming degree so he can write them. I have problems doing "fun" things with my son, and Super Smash Bros, Mario Party, and M+S at the Olympic Games are FUN. We interact. We talk about being a good winner, and a good loser. They have been a wonderful teaching tool for a boy who is pretty extreme about most things. We all have DS. I am not for violent games at all though. He will not be playing 360 or PS3 for a very. long. time. I love Nintendo and most of what they put out though. Video games are a great hobby for our family, and everybody needs hobbies, right?