Menu

Fun? What do you do, personally...

to have fun? I am in a rut lately. My good friends have either temporarily or permanently moved (due to husbands' work.) I am *stuck* with nobody, or so it seems. Also, I live in a very small city with NOTHING to do-we don't even have a Wal-Mart.:001_huh: The nearest city with malls, nice restaurants, etc. is 30 miles away. Plus, we are financially strapped right now, so I need *cheap* fun. Sigh.........I am feeling so bummed.

For fun I like to do the following:

Shop

Read

Play cards online

Play video games

Hang at the Hive

Shop

Garden

Decorate

Re-decorate

Holiday decorating

Special projects such as slight remodeling

Shop

Tai chi

Zumba

Research interesting topics

For a number of years I've been limited to just a few fun things.

I like book club and other opportunities to hang out with fun, smart friends. I like yoga when it doesn't make my cry - which is half the time. I like playing with my dog. Dogs are frequently fun. I like knitting but it isn't really fun. Reading is the same. It is fun to watch professional tennis and Carolina basketball.

Run

Yoga

Reading

Pick a series from Netflix to watch

Piano

walk with dh

crosswords

explore the internet, LOL

church groups

joined a Mom's Morning Out~it's once a week and we combine it with library so I don't have to feel bad about going

My friends craft, knit, crochet or scrapbook. It's not for me but YMMV

Not sure how old your kids are but games with them

to have fun? I am in a rut lately. My good friends have either temporarily or permanently moved (due to husbands' work.) I am *stuck* with nobody, or so it seems. Also, I live in a very small city with NOTHING to do-we don't even have a Wal-Mart.:001_huh: The nearest city with malls, nice restaurants, etc. is 30 miles away. Plus, we are financially strapped right now, so I need *cheap* fun. Sigh.........I am feeling so bummed.

I could have written this. :grouphug:

We moved a few months ago, and I am *lonely*. Wal-Mart is 30 minutes from me, but I don't like Wal-Mart anyway. Target (love) is 45 minutes. :001_huh:

It is beautiful where we live, but there is **nothing** around us except wildlife. Love it, but missing friend time. KWIM?

So, we go for hikes. I take the dog for a walk. I try to count my blessings. I read. And, we go letterboxing. Try the letterboxing with your kids. You will LOVE it. It is an adventure, gets you outside and it is cheap. :) Seriously one of the best things I have found in years. Enjoy!

I'm having fun right now participating in a treasure/scavenger hunt online to win a baby carrier! There is a new task daily for 10 days. I've made a mermaid out of cardboard, fabric scraps and a stapler. I've also taken pics of my kids in pirate gear.

:001_smile:

Maybe take your kids to that city 30 miles away and have them do a scavenger hunt? Bring a picnic lunch to cut down on costs and make a day of it! Winner gets to choose the popsicles at Walmart on the way home (cheaper than going to the ice cream shop). Or if they're not old enough to do that on their own, do one in your own backyard?

Sorry, I have scavenger hunts on the brain!

Lately for fun I've been sewing cloth menstrual pads. LOL

Now I need to make cloth panty liners to back up the menstrual cup, which I love!

I've also been going with DH on craigslist missions to get hay and wood for the winter.

Good times!!! :D:D:D

Edited to add: My real passions is quilting!

Edited by Shellers

I don't really do anything "fun". But some of the things I do for pleasure are

Genealogy

Flea market shopping

Fixing up my flea market finds- I especially like to renovate old trunks. I'm currently working on refinishing some antique stained glass windows.

Dog obedience training

I'm planning to build a few things from Ana White's site this winter

Beading and simple jewelry making

photography (not cheap)

reading (I love that I can always have a book to look forward to, and these days, with all of the resources on the internet, I find it easy to find suggestions for new books to read.)

writing

making menu plans and trying new recipes

perusing new cookbooks (I often check cookbooks out of the library)

designing photo books of my kids

home decor and organizing

I wish you were around here. I have just been thinking the same thing. And we both have teen daughters. I'd spring for the coffee...;)

My kids are telling me that they are nearly grown and I need to find my thing to do for the next phase. They are onto something.

I could have written this. :grouphug:

We moved a few months ago, and I am *lonely*. Wal-Mart is 30 minutes from me, but I don't like Wal-Mart anyway. Target (love) is 45 minutes. :001_huh:

It is beautiful where we live, but there is **nothing** around us except wildlife. Love it, but missing friend time. KWIM?

So, we go for hikes. I take the dog for a walk. I try to count my blessings. I read. And, we go letterboxing. Try the letterboxing with your kids. You will LOVE it. It is an adventure, gets you outside and it is cheap. :) Seriously one of the best things I have found in years. Enjoy!

This looks awesome! Thank you!

I practice yoga, run a homeschool group, exercise, scrapbook a bit, knit, cook, read, surf the web...i dont have a ton of friends here, but there are a couple i can go out and grab a drink with once in a while. I Like going to the beach with my dogs (and kids lol), working on our house, and strangely, organizing. I have a weird idea of fun :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

Edited by Halcyon

I love

reading (mostly nonfiction, but recently some classics I've missed)

Computer time--forum, Pinterest (particularly the humor) and FB

TV (no cable, so just network, but I have to be careful not to watch too much--I just like the story aspect and everything tidy at the end)

Monday prayer group

My Education For Ministry group at church (includes study for about 2 hours a week plus the 3 hour classtime)

Getting together with friends over coffee

Homeschooling and planning when we are homeschooling

I'm active at work, so my "hobbies" are rather sendentary. I've never been a knit/craft/scrapbook girl, or a cooking/beautifying the home girl--wish I was, but I'm all thumbs and not very patient, and those hobbies take money, too.

I'm such a nerd..... the things I enjoy doing are not typically what other people would call fun...

But I'm happiest when I'm:

- reading..

- writing

- working on a little project that would further our preparedness, sustainability

- organizing

- making natural health products for our family: this week, I'm making a batch of Master Tonic and some elderberry syrup to prepare for the fall/winter season

- hiking, snowshoeing

- learning alongside my family

- crafting - especially if its making something that we will use - facecloths, soap, etc, etc

- cooking, making meals for the freezer (I get SUCH a feeling of satisfaction anytime I'm able to make a meal for the future)

Things I'd like to take up:

- nordic skiing

- archery

oh - I also wanted to mention that I've started writing snail mail letters with a friend... its SUCH a nice way to communicate... such a treat to get a letter in the mail... and it forces me to choose carefully the things that I want to share... just a really, really nice way to nurture a friendship...

oh - I also wanted to mention that I've started writing snail mail letters with a friend... its SUCH a nice way to communicate... such a treat to get a letter in the mail... and it forces me to choose carefully the things that I want to share... just a really, really nice way to nurture a friendship...

I just started doing this with my gandmother who is about to turn 100. She cannot hear so talking on the phone is not possible. I have been able to share more through letters then just talking...you can add in more descriptive sentences and express your feelings more deeply. Also having her write back in her own shaky hand is something I will have to reread after she has passed away.

I just started doing this with my gandmother who is about to turn 100. She cannot hear so talking on the phone is not possible. I have been able to share more through letters then just talking...you can add in more descriptive sentences and express your feelings more deeply. Also having her write back in her own shaky hand is something I will have to reread after she has passed away.

Oh- how WONDERFUL.... what a keepsake these will be... love it!!

I totally agree with you when you say that you are able to share more through letters then talking. Its so true. And its such a lovely contrast to the Instant-always-in-your-face-sometimes-thoughtless communication that we share with one another via texting, facebook, email, etc, etc...

Over the years I've taken dance lessons (clogging, Scottish country dance, hula), and fencing lessons (at the community college). I've also played laser tag; I was a member of LaserQuest for awhile, which was way cool, because there was a members-only night, where we play five games between 8 and midnight, each game with different rules. Way cool. :D

But when my dc were little, the one dance class (clogging) was as much as I could pull off. Otherwise, it was grocery shopping by myself, and church-related activities such as choir and deaf ministry. Those were fun.:)

Lots of the things I like to do for enjoyment have been mentioned. But this weekend I found a new passion that hasn't been mentioned...sweater shaving :lol:

Seriously once you start you can't stop. My sweaters are all looking like new now!

That's what I've heard and it's why I will never start. It's the same with cocaine. I'm afraid I'd like it too much. I'm hopeful, though that you've recognized your addiction. The first step in getting help is acknowledging that you have a problem. :tongue_smilie:

For fun I like to do the following:

Shop

Read

Play cards online

Play video games

Hang at the Hive

Shop

Garden

Decorate

Re-decorate

Holiday decorating

Special projects such as slight remodeling

Shop

Tai chi

Zumba

Research interesting topics

For a number of years I've been limited to just a few fun things.

Chucki, do you like to shop? :001_smile:

I'm such a nerd..... the things I enjoy doing are not typically what other people would call fun...

But I'm happiest when I'm:

- reading..

- writing

- working on a little project that would further our preparedness, sustainability

- organizing

- making natural health products for our family: this week, I'm making a batch of Master Tonic and some elderberry syrup to prepare for the fall/winter season

- hiking, snowshoeing

- learning alongside my family

- crafting - especially if its making something that we will use - facecloths, soap, etc, etc

- cooking, making meals for the freezer (I get SUCH a feeling of satisfaction anytime I'm able to make a meal for the future)

Things I'd like to take up:

- nordic skiing

- archery

Can you share your master tonic and elderberry syrup recioes? Do you have favorite books for health?

I read quite a bit. As long as I stick to BookMooch/PaperbackSwap and the library (and make sure to return library items promptly), that's very cheap.

I watch a few series on broadcast and/or Netflix. Cable isn't cheap, but my husband won't give it up, anyway. So, having me watch a few things doesn't have a financial impact. We have the streaming only plan from Netlifx, which is under $10 per month. I also pick up DVDs from the library occasionally.

I walk with my dog and listen to either audiobooks (downloaded free from the library) or podcasts (also free).

I drive a lot to get my kids to and from activities and end up spending a fair amount of time by myself in the car. I always bring a book and/or fun stuff to listen to on my iPod.

I've rediscovered popular music in the last several years. Every now and then, I use an iTunes card (or just rip songs from CDs we already own) to create a new, fun, themed playlist. I listen to those while driving with the kids and also while cleaning the house or doing yard chores. I really enjoy discovering new songs and performers.

As a family, we have season tickets (for preview nights, the cheapest way to go) for a local theatre, and I love going to shows. We always get "comps" for shows my kids do, too. And as they've gotten older their shows have gotten more and more enjoyable. I love going to those, too.

And I really love playing with my dog. She loves to hang out with me on the couch while I'm watching TV and chase my fingers and try to find my feet under the blanket. Sometimes, she likes to play fetch (something I didn't think real dogs actually did). Obviously, keeping pets isn't free. But she's one of the very best things about my life most days. And she costs less than a lot of hobbies.

Edited by Jenny in Florida