Menu

What would you do if you bought this property/house...

Say you bought a very nice, wooded lot in a nice development (large, single-family homes, $500k price range) and built a beautiful custom home. The house is located in the back corner of the lot, well off the road, but very closely (house is perhaps 30-50 feet away from the property line) bordering a neighboring 60-acre farm. The farm is not part of the development, but has been there since the early 80s. The property line with this farm is pasture and paddock fence (all electric), and the farm owners keep horses and goats. The pasture is well-grazed; it doesn't look nice. Immediately beyond the closest fenceline to the house is the horse barn, which has been around for awhile and is quite an eyesore from this angle. Next to the barn is a large metal pole building, which houses poultry. And the poultry...well, there's a lot of it. Near to a hundred chickens, some ducks, geese, and peafowl. Between the many roosters, the geese, and the peacock, it's loud. REALLY loud. The roosters crow anytime they feel like it--including 4 a.m.--and the first time you heard the peacock, you thought someone was being murdered. All this is happening maybe 25 yards from the bedroom.

To add to it all, the pit where all the manure is dumped is close to the property line, and is less than 20 feet from where the driveway was cut through. To drive up to the house, it is unavoidable to see a massive pile of poo.

Do you complain about the noise and/or general dumpiness? And what about the manure pile? You've spent a lot of money to have a beautiful, quiet place on 3 acres, and this was not what you bargained for.

ETA for clarity: I am the farm owner! :) I am trying to put myself in a potential new neighbor's position. Thank you to anyone willing to humor me.

Edited by BrookValley

If there aren't covenants or an HOA that affect the actual farm....I would not complain. If I lived in a subdivision with rules about whether there could be roosters, etc. and my neighbor (within the same subdivision, not a farm outside of those covenants/HOA rules) had some in violation of those rules, I'd complain. Moving in next to an existing farm? Nope.

eta: working farms are messy. That's the way it is IMO. Most working farms I know have manure piles, broken down equipment, etc.scattered about. If there are any rules governing location of manure piles and so forth that do affect the farm, and they are in violation of that, perhaps you could pursue it. But I kind of doubt that's the case, at least based on the info provided.

Edited by Momof3littles

I'm confused as to how all this wasn't known before the lot was even purchased, not to mention a site chosen and built on?

I edited my original post for clarity. I probably should have mentioned in the post that I am the farm owner--not the new home owner. I don't know how anyone could buy the property without realizing what they were moving in next to, though it is very possible to look at the property and not realize just how loud the poultry are. Certainly, you aren't going to realize that the boys crow at all hours of the wee morning.

If you (or whomever -- not sure if the post is about you or someone you know) moved onto that lot knowing there was an existing farm there, no -- I wouldn't complain. I would have closely staked out the property prior to purchasing it, I would have carefully decided where my house would be to keep it as far away from the farm life as possible, and if I didn't like what I was looking at, I'd start planting trees or erect a fence on the property border. Quite honestly, if I was the farm owner of an established farm and the "new people" came to me with complaints such as these, I'd tell them to pound sand AND I'd move that manure pile just a little bit closer to the property line.

I'd say you built near a working farm. Planting a tree line might help, but surely these issues were there when the building project was begun.

Even if you're going to live in the development in the country, you need to realize that the country is not simply vast fields and meadows.

:lol: just read your edit. :lol: I'd say bless their hearts and let them plant some trees on their own property.

Since you're the farm owner, can you relocate the manure pile?

The rest is their tough luck.

I mean, so's the manure, but it's the one thing that you might be able to change, if you were so inclined.

Ppl don't move in next to a farm and then demand that everything changes to suit them. Well, some ppl probably DO, but they're dipsticks.

The farm was there first. You knew it was there when you bought the property and built the house.

As the farm owner, I would make sure I checked up on the current zoning regulations and make sure nothing was changed.

I want to add that I have known people who have built nice homes near farms, then complained about the farms! I have never understood what they were thinking when they built the house.

Yeah, in an effort to maintain some sort of goodwill, *if* you can relocate the manure pile somewhere that still works for you and your farm, that could be a nice gesture. If it was chosen for a reason and that's what works best for your farm, then oh well for the people who built.

They should have done their due diligence. I've learned through the years it is good to stake out what your house or property is like at different times of day, check out traffic and noise during those times, etc. It doesn't always give you a great idea of what it might be like living there, but you should spend some time there before committing to buying if you can...that way you know some of the issues that may pop up.

If they are telling you your pastures don't look nice enough, I think I'd laugh at them.

The only thing that I think might be reasonable to move is the manure pile....having it that close to another person's property isn't cool.

but the rest of it? If the new owner doesn't like it they shouldn't have built there.

Yeah, but the farm was there first, and they're not the ones that decided that's where the access should be, that was the developer.

I mean, if it's doable, moving the manure pit would be nice, but it's not their *fault* that someone decided to arrange things that way, kwim? Farm's been there a heck of a lot longer.

No, you don't complain. The farm was there first. Sorry, but you should have walked the property before building.

If finances allow, you could put up a privacy fence or a row of evergreens by the driveway to block the view of the manure pile, and you could do the same along the other fenceline. The more trees you have there, the more view will be blocked. It will take a few years, of course, for them to grow. Poplars would be quicker, but they don't live as long.

ETA: I was typing while you clarified. If you are willing to move the manure pile, that would be a kindness to the new owners. I don't think you should worry about it, though. It's up to them to decide if they want to buy the house, not up to you to make their view beautiful.

Edited by klmama

I mean, so's the manure, but it's the one thing that you might be able to change, if you were so inclined.

Ppl don't move in next to a farm and then demand that everything changes to suit them. Well, some ppl probably DO, but they're dipsticks.

We're in the country. I wonder if it's even worth moving the manure pile. There will be farm smells that waft further than that one piece of property from time to time no matter what you do. If I bought the property and didn't like the farm I would sell. I doubt you can make the new owners happy. :grouphug:

You smack your head for your own stupidity for not checking out the full extent of the property before you bought. Then you purchase trees and hedges to block out the unappealing view if it bothers you that much. Period!

I'd say you built near a working farm. Planting a tree line might help, but surely these issues were there when the building project was begun.

Even if you're going to live in the development in the country, you need to realize that the country is not simply vast fields and meadows.

:lol: just read your edit. :lol: I'd say bless their hearts and let them plant some trees on their own property.

The only thing that I think might be reasonable to move is the manure pile....having it that close to another person's property isn't cool.

but the rest of it? If the new owner doesn't like it they shouldn't have built there.

The farm was there first. You knew it was there when you bought the property and built the house.

As the farm owner, I would make sure I checked up on the current zoning regulations and make sure nothing was changed.

I want to add that I have known people who have built nice homes near farms, then complained about the farms! I have never understood what they were thinking when they built the house.

Yeah, in an effort to maintain some sort of goodwill, *if* you can relocate the manure pile somewhere that still works for you and your farm, that could be a nice gesture. If it was chosen for a reason and that's what works best for your farm, then oh well for the people who built.

They should have done their due diligence. I've learned through the years it is good to stake out what your house or property is like at different times of day, check out traffic and noise during those times, etc. It doesn't always give you a great idea of what it might be like living there, but you should spend some time there before committing to buying if you can...that way you know some of the issues that may pop up.

If they are telling you your pastures don't look nice enough, I think I'd laugh at them.

Yeah, but the farm was there first, and they're not the ones that decided that's where the access should be, that was the developer.

I mean, if it's doable, moving the manure pit would be nice, but it's not their *fault* that someone decided to arrange things that way, kwim? Farm's been there a heck of a lot longer.

all of these.;)

:iagree:

You were there first. I would save moving the manure pile until they said they have a problem, it gives you something you can offer to do if they start complaining. But I don't think you should have to do anything.

I would give them a nice welcome home gift of some farm fresh eggs!

They had three acres of property and chose to put the house 30 feet from your property line? Probably not their best decision.

If the manure pile was there when they built, it's their problem. If you've recently moved it there then perhaps you can make some accommodations and relocate it.

In their defense, they probably didn't think about the 4 AM rooster call or the blood curdling peacock serenade- they likely visited during the day. But that doesn't mean you have to change anything- it just explains why they might not have realized what they were doing.

I edited my original post for clarity. I probably should have mentioned in the post that I am the farm owner--not the new home owner. I don't know how anyone could buy the property without realizing what they were moving in next to, though it is very possible to look at the property and not realize just how loud the poultry are. Certainly, you aren't going to realize that the boys crow at all hours of the wee morning.

Well, then I still fail to see how this is your issue at all. Unless all these things changed after the house was built, this was their responsibility to investigate beforehand. And I'm far from a country girl, but I know that poultry are loud. And smelly. As others said, perhaps moving the manure pile would be a sign of goodwill, but even that is outside the realm of your responsibility to these people.

You smack your head for your own stupidity for not checking out the full extent of the property before you bought. Then you purchase trees and hedges to block out the unappealing view if it bothers you that much. Period!

:iagree::iagree:

I'd invite my neighbor/farm owner over for lunch. Hopefully, I'd end the lunch with a new friend (sensitive to doing whatever is REASONABLE for neighborly relations), an extended classroom for my home schoolers, and an agreement for life long free fresh eggs and poultry!

I would not complain, but I figure those who have answered are in the minority. I lived in Hampton Roads for several years. There was a housing development built really close to a military runway where jets take off and land. There were always people complaining about the noise and the rattling windows in their house. The runway had been there many many years before the housing development.

this happens a lot.

We had our neighbor complain about our mooing mama cows and babies when we were weaning the babies. But they built like 10 feet off of the property line.

Then they were surprised that we didn't like their dog chasing our cattle. "You mean we have to keep him put up? I thought dogs could run free in the country." Of course they can...as long as they don't bother people's livestock or poultry.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Thanks, everyone, for all of your replies. Can you tell that I am having a little bit (understatement) of anxiety over having neighbors move in so close? We've been here a long time, and until they cleared the lot for this new house we couldn't even see any of the houses nearby. We have a big, noisy, smelly farm, and I love every bit of it, but I worry about people. I am not trying to judge folks before they even move in (they haven't yet--I'm not even sure if the place has sold. I don't know if it's the builder/developer building the house, or if the lot sold and the new owners are building it). They may be wonderful, or at least non-obtrusive, but I still worry. I worry about my animals a lot. The last time a home was built in this neighborhood, the construction crew came through the woods to one of my pastures and threw large rocks and sticks at my two elderly horses. :confused:

As for the manure pit, it was built into the side of a little hill in a place very convenient to the barn and poultry building. You can dump down into the pit, which is really a necessity because we generate a lot of manure--if it were just a pile, it would just sprawl (and I have nowhere to let a pile of manure that big sprawl), if that makes sense? You can only dump so many wheelbarrows full of stuff on top of each other before you can't go any higher. It would be a huge inconvenience, not to mention a bit of expense for more lumber/gate/etc., to build a new one. I could potentially plant some trees on one side of it, though. It is certainly not my wish to be a bad neighbor!

this happens a lot.

We had our neighbor complain about our mooing mama cows and babies when we were weaning the babies. But they built like 10 feet off of the property line.

Then they were surprised that we didn't like their dog chasing our cattle. "You mean we have to keep him put up? I thought dogs could run free in the country." Of course they can...as long as they don't bother people's livestock or poultry.

They're lucky you didn't just shoot their dog. That's what would happen around here, a strange dog chasing livestock.

this happens a lot.

Ugh. Really? Yeah, see this is what I'm worried about. "Can't you make your roosters stop crowing at 3:30 a.m.?" Uh, no. I can't. And the house will be going in the very closest corner to our farm. Very close to all the action. I believe they built it there because they had trouble getting the lot to perc.

As for the manure pit, it was built into the side of a little hill in a place very convenient to the barn and poultry building. You can dump down into the pit, which is really a necessity because we generate a lot of manure--if it were just a pile, it would just sprawl (and I have nowhere to let a pile of manure that big sprawl), if that makes sense? You can only dump so many wheelbarrows full of stuff on top of each other before you can't go any higher. It would be a huge inconvenience, not to mention a bit of expense for more lumber/gate/etc., to build a new one. I could potentially plant some trees on one side of it, though. It is certainly not my wish to be a bad neighbor!

I totally get that. I grew up riding horses, and the barn I boarded at before bringing my horse home had a pit like that where they could dump manure. I totally understand. Once we brought my horse home, we only had one, so dealing with the manure wasn't that big of a deal.

If it was chosen for a reason, I would not inconvenience yourselves.

It's the dipsticks I'm worried about. :lol:

But I should probably stop worrying.

Yup, you should.

Not your responsibility to change your long existing farm practices b/c someone decides to build right up against it.

I *would* pay attention to zoning laws, etc...I've heard of some underhanded practices in those being changed to the detriment of farmers :glare:

I think that you just need to carry on. The person building the house should have checked everything out ahead of time. I wouldn't move anything.

I might check and make sure that there are no codes that will bite me, but it sounds like you would have already heard if there were.

You are a nice person to be thinking ahead of time, but honestly, you were there first. It is the responsibility of the buyer to check out what is around them.

They're lucky you didn't just shoot their dog. That's what would happen around here, a strange dog chasing livestock.

my dh went over there and talked to them a couple times and finally we called the police. The policeman informed them that under state law we had the right to shoot the dog if the harassment continued. So the next Saturday, they were out building an invisible fence.

Ugh. Really? Yeah, see this is what I'm worried about. "Can't you make your roosters stop crowing at 3:30 a.m.?" Uh, no. I can't. And the house will be going in the very closest corner to our farm. Very close to all the action. I believe they built it there because they had trouble getting the lot to perc.

I would be kind and welcoming to the neighbors and not expect trouble.

Yup, you should.

Not your responsibility to change your long existing farm practices b/c someone decides to build right up against it.

I *would* pay attention to zoning laws, etc...I've heard of some underhanded practices in those being changed to the detriment of farmers :glare:

I am good for zoning laws. We're in a very rural/agricultural county. And I am down two horses, so now we only have four, and even with six I was below the limits for needing certain plans/oversight from the dep't of ag for the larger livestock. I participate in a poultry plan through the state, so the dep't of ag is out here twice a year or more, and I know we're good. Our farm is not subject to any covenants, HOA rules, etc. So I am not too worried about any of that kind of stuff. Just the dipsticks. :tongue_smilie:

Agreed with others... move the manure pit *if* that's something doable. Maybe take them some fresh eggs a couple of times? Regardless, you're not really obliged, just if you want to try and make nice.

Oy. I grew up on a property adjacent to farms. I can remember fertilizer season when we'd get near the dirt road turn off and my mother would have to yell, "Quick, roll up the windows!" and we'd all hold our noses. It was annoying, but we'd never have complained! And the farm family, while we didn't know them, were very nice. They would loan my dad their tractor to mow our meadows once a year.

Ok, so now the question is...which one of you WTMers is looking for a nice home on a pretty lot next to the funny farm? I'm looking for a good neighbor! :D All the free farm field trips for homeschoolers you can handle!

Sorry, I couldn't afford that house.

Plus, need to stay on the north side of the border :tongue_smilie:

Ok, so now the question is...which one of you WTMers is looking for a nice home on a pretty lot next to the funny farm? I'm looking for a good neighbor! :D All the free farm field trips for homeschoolers you can handle!

My kids would adore living next to a farm, and my DS1 LOVES hard work and farm types of chores. He would rake, water, feed, pick stuff from your garden for you or help you weed, muck stalls...the kid lives for that stuff. I'm not kidding.

Nm... read your follow ups. Planting some trees, like you mentioned, on the one side of the pit, would be a nice gesture that you both might benefit from. Be the friendly neighbor when they move in, and try not to anticipate trouble.

Edited by CathieC

My kids would adore living next to a farm, and my DS1 LOVES hard work and farm types of chores. He would rake, water, feed, pick stuff from your garden for you or help you weed, muck stalls...the kid lives for that stuff. I'm not kidding.

Win-win! When do you guys move in? :D

The only thing I would do in your shoes is move the manure pile, as a nice gesture to the new neighbors.

I'm thinking about starting off with planting some fast-growing trees along it--I am not opposed, but it would be a collosal inconvenience to move it, not to mention it would cost some money in materials. It is mostly horse manure and it does not smell (manure is really only smelly as long as it is fresh. Once it dries and starts composting, it's not too funky).

ETA: CathieC, sorry to be redundant. We were posting at the same time!

Win-win! When do you guys move in? :D

I'm thinking about starting off with planting some fast-growing trees along it--I am not opposed, but it would be a collosal inconvenience to move it, not to mention it would cost some money in materials. It is mostly horse manure and it does not smell (manure is really only smelly as long as it is fresh. Once it dries and starts composting, it's not too funky).

ETA: CathieC, sorry to be redundant. We were posting at the same time!

Yeah, see I don't think horse manure smells anywhere nearly as bad as pig or cow manure. Not even close. But, that may be because I grew up with a horse. I truly think equine poo is less nasty.

My kids really, really want a farm. Someday, maybe! If only we could expose them to farm life by proxy for now, where they could do farm chores til their little hearts were content LOL!

As far as the manure pit goes.....manure stinks if it is 20 feet away or 300 feet, so I wouldn't worry about moving it.

The barn view is just part of the country life.

The roosters, well that sucks but honestly living in a neighborhood with people who drive diesel trucks can be just as annoying at 3am as they idddddddddle, bbbuuubbbububbubububbbbubububub.

Peacocks, well they are loud and eerie. You may want to give the neighbors a heads up on those cries before the police are involved. LOL Or at least give the police the heads up, in case the neighbor cries. :lol:

Pole barns are ugly, the neighbors can plant trees or you can. If you plant them, you have control over the variety. Try contacting the national arbor day association to see if they have access to any free saplings. You can also contact a homeschool program chapter, or local school and see if there is a teacher who may want to do an 'Earth Day Project' of planting trees and visiting the farm. You could turn it into a fun day for kiddos and get the trees you want to boot. Tiny saplings are pretty cheap if you order in bulk and would grow fast planted by a manure pile!

I live in a city neighborhood and all of the things you mentioned wouldn't bother me, except the manure pile. (Chicken and pigs smell the worst to me :ack2: ) Anyone who visits the house should smell that one right away so they should know about it going into it. I would much rather look at an old barn, that the house with faded grey paint and broken mini blind, 100ft behind my home, right now.

I say, don't sweat it unless it becomes a problem. Some families don't mind the country life, even if they don't want to be farmers themselves.

:iagree:Sufficiently dense landscaping blocks alot of noise.

The only thing I would consider doing right away is to let them know in casual conversation how much your animals are worth, say in case their adorable pup decides your chickens make great squeaky toys one day or happens to enjoy chasing something else you own. Our neighbors lost ALL of their chickens one day when a dog got loose from the house behind me. It was an expensive loss that the dog owner was not expecting.

The airfield we live on is on a flat plain (for obvious reasons) and outside the gates is NOTHING but farm land, including a huge farm that has a riding stables, cows, pigs, chickens and host of other things. When they are fertilizing the fields it is the worst smell ever. Seriously. EVER. It makes me want to gag it's so bad and there is no escaping it as the plain is very windy. Erk.

As a home owner, they should have walked the property several times on different days at different times before making the purchase, but if they didn't, it's not your fault. If it's possible to move the manure pile, it might be a nice thing to do to promote neighborly feelings. I know people say it doesn't smell unless it's fresh, but *I* think it does and it's probably because I'm not used to the smell.