Menu

What would you do if you bought this property/house...

so, you bought a house next to a farm that was there when you bought the house but you want to complain about how the farm is run? isn't that putting the cart before the horse?

put up a hedge of arborvitae. It will cut any dust from the farm, as well as sightlines.

eta: okay - saw your update you own the farm. if/when the homeowner complains, make the suggestion of the arborvitae hedge that they can have installed (and they can easily have a mature hedge installed that is 6-7' tall and will grow taller. they only get 3-4' wide and are very attractive hedges). *they* chose to buy there next to an existing farm. as long as you aren't breaking any zoning regs, this is really their problem (it's not like they bought the house and were surprised there was a farm there - unless they bought it sight unseen and the seller didn't disclose there was a farm there.) so the onus is on them to deal with their unhappiness in a productive manner. you are under no obligation.

Edited by gardenmom5

I would not complain, but I figure those who have answered are in the minority. I lived in Hampton Roads for several years. There was a housing development built really close to a military runway where jets take off and land. There were always people complaining about the noise and the rattling windows in their house. The runway had been there many many years before the housing development.

I live right next to train tracks. I do complain. It rattles the house, is loud and is busy! I had no idea when we bought that there would be days that 15+ trains would come through between 3 & 5 in the morning. But I complain on facebook and to friends, I don't expect anything to change. These neighbors can complain all they want to each other. But to expect the farm owners to change stuff for them is a bit much.

Since you're the farm owner, can you relocate the manure pile?

The rest is their tough luck.

I mean, so's the manure, but it's the one thing that you might be able to change, if you were so inclined.

Ppl don't move in next to a farm and then demand that everything changes to suit them. Well, some ppl probably DO, but they're dipsticks.

:iagree: But if you're not from a farming family some of that ignorance is just lack of experience. I wouldn't move the manure pile just yet or the crowing chickens. Let the prospective folks get a taste of reality first. It your home, your manure pile, your chickens to keep the way you want.

I would NOT move the manure pile--and this is why: it sets the precedent that you have to change your farm for their big fancy house. That's not a precedent I'd want to set.

I wish I could live in the country near you!! I love that you are being so thoughtful about your animals and sensitive to the potential new owners. I agree that I wouldn't move or change anything ahead of time, or even offer to do anything at your expense when the new people move in. If they want to pay for a move of the manure pit, then that could be worked out.

I see you also having a loss in this case, where you lose your privacy and forest view. The new owners will need to understand this as well. I'm sure that with your personality, things will work out fine.

Ok, so now the question is...which one of you WTMers is looking for a nice home on a pretty lot next to the funny farm? I'm looking for a good neighbor! :D All the free farm field trips for homeschoolers you can handle!

You wouldn't happen to be anywhere in WA state? That sounds dreamy.

If I were the homeowner, I promise I would have done my research and would be showing up on your porch with cupcakes to sweet talk you into maybe letting my family have some fun/help on your farm. ;)

-Carrie, whose development doesn't allow fowl or small livestock. :tongue_smilie:

You smack your head for your own stupidity for not checking out the full extent of the property before you bought. Then you purchase trees and hedges to block out the unappealing view if it bothers you that much. Period!

:iagree:

eta: I wouldn't worry much about zoning laws. If you were okay when you established the farm you should be grandfathered in if something changes. And as far as the house goes, try not to worry until someone actually complains (and not even then since you are in the right). There's a good chance the developer is building it and it may not sell because of location.

Edited by Cera

You wouldn't happen to be anywhere in WA state? That sounds dreamy.

Actually, I'm on the other side of the country. We're in the DC metro area.

If I were the homeowner, I promise I would have done my research and would be showing up on your porch with cupcakes to sweet talk you into maybe letting my family have some fun/help on your farm. ;)

-Carrie, whose development doesn't allow fowl or small livestock. :tongue_smilie:

A neighbor who comes bearing cupcakes! That would be my dream come true. :D

eta: I wouldn't worry much about zoning laws. If you were okay when you established the farm you should be grandfathered in if something changes. And as far as the house goes, try not to worry until someone actually complains (and not even then since you are in the right). There's a good chance the developer is building it and it may not sell because of location.

I'm not sure if the lot is sold/house is being built to suit or if the developer is building it (I need to check the realtor's databases and see if it's on the market). This is partly why I actually want to wait to put up any additional fencing and/or fast growing trees--which is the one expense I'm willing to incur, for my own sense of privacy--but if it hasn't sold, I want any potential buyers to see and hear as much as possible so they know exactly what they are in for!

If I remember correctly, many of the houses in this subdivision were built custom after the lot was sold. Though the developer is an absolute slimeball, and he's holding a grudge against me because I wouldn't trade him choice lots off my property for his lots in this development that wouldn't perc. He used the threat of this very house to try and bully me into giving him some of my property on a large pond. He told me he'd build as close to me as he could and create a lot of drama if I didn't do it (which is BS--if he was going to develop this lot, where the house is going is where the house needed to be. Like he was going to not develop a viable lot out of the goodness of his heart? :glare:). I told him in no uncertain terms to stick his house where the sun don't shine...It is the last lot in the subdivision to be cleared/built on, and I'm assuming this is from a combination of it being hard to perc and the least desirable location in the neighborhood.

Maybe you could put up a nice sign on your side of the property line listing all the activities that take place on your farm so that potential lot viewers will know what the developer is selling them. ;)

Now THAT could get interesting. We are very, very accustomed to our privacy here. I won't go into any more details than that. :lol:

Though the developer is an absolute slimeball, and he's holding a grudge against me because I wouldn't trade him choice lots off my property for his lots in this development that wouldn't perc. He used the threat of this very house to try and bully me into giving him some of my property on a large pond. He told me he'd build as close to me as he could and create a lot of drama if I didn't do it (which is BS--if he was going to develop this lot, where the house is going is where the house needed to be. Like he was going to not develop a viable lot out of the goodness of his heart? :glare:). I told him in no uncertain terms to stick his house where the sun don't shine...It is the last lot in the subdivision to be cleared/built on, and I'm assuming this is from a combination of it being hard to perc and the least desirable location in the neighborhood.

Wow! Do you have proof of this conversation? I would definitely hang onto it...although I'm not sure how YOU would end up culpable for any *drama*. Sheesh! It is kind of beyond me that he would ask ANYWAY!

I can't believe how many people build new houses and then complain about the existing use of the property nearby! I was very happy to see that the OP was not the new home owner. We know of a dairy farm that had been around for many, many years and when a new development went in next to it, the people complained about the smell of the cows.:glare: We also have small airport nearby and a very expensive development was built near it and within the flight path. Now the spoiled homeowners want the airport closed. Some of them claim they bought the house from out of town and didn't know about the airport! Unfortunately for them, the FAA will do everything in its power to prevent closing of airports.

:D My thoughts exactly!

:D My thoughts exactly!

When we bought our home in an agricultural zone in NY, we had to sign a paper indicating that we understood that we were going to be living in an active agricultural zone with early morning activity, tractors in the roads, and the smells and sounds of farming.

Wow! Do you have proof of this conversation? I would definitely hang onto it...although I'm not sure how YOU would end up culpable for any *drama*. Sheesh! It is kind of beyond me that he would ask ANYWAY!

No, and it's not like he didn't threaten to do anything he hasn't already done and wasn't well within his right to do (build the house...though I don't know what he meant by drama, other than the normal drama associated with building a house). He's just a jerk. He's also the same person I caught blasting through my property on a four-wheeler, decked out in camo and fully armed. His reason? He was looking for the property lines. Uh huh. The property lines. When you know every inch of the property line because you own and developed the bordering property. On an ATV. With your shotgun loaded with buckshot during rut. Apparently I look very, very stupid when I'm angry?

Put him in a kilt and he'd be my dream come true, too.** :D

You know, assuming he was PKM. (Prime Kilt Material)

Hhhhmmm...forget this thread. I'm suddenly not so worried about what the new neighbors might be like... :lol:

When we bought our home in an agricultural zone in NY, we had to sign a paper indicating that we understood that we were going to be living in an active agricultural zone with early morning activity, tractors in the roads, and the smells and sounds of farming.

We had to sign that, too! Don't you know the upstate folks got sick and tired of the city people whining about agricultural endeavors when they bought their vacation homes?!

Can you just hear them? "Wah! We didn't know all those dairies smell bad!" :lol::lol:

The only thing that I think might be reasonable to move is the manure pile....having it that close to another person's property isn't cool.

but the rest of it? If the new owner doesn't like it they shouldn't have built there.

Move the house. Seriously. I know people who have done this (for different reasons).

Seriously, if I were the homeowner, I'd ask you to move the manure pile. I'd ask for manure for my garden. And I'd ask if dc could help on farm -- for the experience, not for pay. Sounds like benefits of being on a farm, without all the responsibility.

Edited by Alessandra

You smack your head for your own stupidity for not checking out the full extent of the property before you bought. Then you purchase trees and hedges to block out the unappealing view if it bothers you that much. Period!

This. They could have also built their house not so close to the property line. Maybe if they also put in a water feature it would help cut down on the noise. But yeah, something they should have figured out before buying and building.

I love it!!!

You were there first! I feel more sorry for you having the sight pollution of their houses. Maybe you should have put up a sign when you knew they were going to build houses: "Fields fertilizered frequently with fowl manure." On the other hand, they could have figured it out on their own. No use complaining now.

My dh always says "Manure is the smell of money!" $$ Your bling is just different than theirs.

We farm, so I don't understand anyone else's complains. Stinky loud animals = sounds and smells of home :D

I mean, so's the manure, but it's the one thing that you might be able to change, if you were so inclined.

Ppl don't move in next to a farm and then demand that everything changes to suit them. Well, some ppl probably DO, but they're dipsticks.

And then, at most, I would come begging you for mercy (cuz it really was my own oversight for not noticing in the first place) - if it were possibly convenient for you to move the manure pile please ...

I have friends that own a farm. When they first got roosters, they were very conscious of the noise. They have their roosters about 15-20 yards from their house. But they got used to it. But then, they are the farmers... I'm thinking it's kind of like living in the city and getting used the the noise of buses running on your street.

Say you bought a very nice, wooded lot in a nice development (large, single-family homes, $500k price range) and built a beautiful custom home. The house is located in the back corner of the lot, well off the road, but very closely (house is perhaps 30-50 feet away from the property line) bordering a neighboring 60-acre farm. The farm is not part of the development, but has been there since the early 80s. The property line with this farm is pasture and paddock fence (all electric), and the farm owners keep horses and goats. The pasture is well-grazed; it doesn't look nice. Immediately beyond the closest fenceline to the house is the horse barn, which has been around for awhile and is quite an eyesore from this angle. Next to the barn is a large metal pole building, which houses poultry. And the poultry...well, there's a lot of it. Near to a hundred chickens, some ducks, geese, and peafowl. Between the many roosters, the geese, and the peacock, it's loud. REALLY loud. The roosters crow anytime they feel like it--including 4 a.m.--and the first time you heard the peacock, you thought someone was being murdered. All this is happening maybe 25 yards from the bedroom.

To add to it all, the pit where all the manure is dumped is close to the property line, and is less than 20 feet from where the driveway was cut through. To drive up to the house, it is unavoidable to see a massive pile of poo.

Do you complain about the noise and/or general dumpiness? And what about the manure pile? You've spent a lot of money to have a beautiful, quiet place on 3 acres, and this was not what you bargained for.

ETA for clarity: I am the farm owner! :) I am trying to put myself in a potential new neighbor's position. Thank you to anyone willing to humor me.

I don't think the owner can complain, because the "nuisance" was there all the time.

However, as the farm owner, to be agreeable, I'd try to hide some of that, if I could.

How could they not know about the poultry, manure etc if they walked the plot and chose where to build the house. Sorry you are being bothered by idiots!

I'm confused as to how all this wasn't known before the lot was even purchased, not to mention a site chosen and built on?

:iagree: Tell them to plant some fast growing trees and build a fence. Maybe offer to move the manure pile if that is feasible and you are feeling neighborly.

Send them one of these brochures: http://www.co.ottawa.mi.us/CoGov/Depts/Planning/pdf/AgDisclaimer.pdf

This is an honest to goodness SCRATCH AND SNIFF manure/farm brochure for our county. Friends of mine are the family with the 4 blond kids.

Right now our neighbor is NOT happy with us. We moved here last year and cut down 3 acres of woods and put in horse pasture and a barn. Manure is all picked up almost daily place is well kept. Problem is, HE lost his privacy. See, he placed his house near the lot line when he built it and he cut down all of his own trees to the property line. He was counting on the trees on our property to give him privacy.

We have the legal acreage to do all of this and we were kind enough to leave about 50 feet of woods buffer on his side of the lot line (actually all the way around our property).

Moral of the story......ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check the zoning before buying/building to see what you or your neighbors can and can't do........and don't rely on someone else for your privacy.

What you do depends on how much trouble it is, IMO. If it's just as convenient for you to put the manure somewhere else, then yes it would be considerate to do so as a courtesy to your neighbor. But if changing the way your land is used is going to be expensive or a hassle, you are under no obligation - they shouldn't have bought next door if they didn't like it.

I have a farm, too. While your neighbors built a home and moved in KNOWING what your property looked like, out of respect, I would move the manure pile.

I am thinking of moving ours CLOSER to the NASTY neighbor I have. You can truck your manure here.:tongue_smilie:

About the noise factor, you can't do a thing.

Just realized you were asking what we'd do having purchased the next door place. Well I wouldn't feel justified in making any sort of complaint since I'd bought the property knowing your farm was next door. To be honest I'd probably be over there trying to make friends with you because my kids LOVE farm animals so much and I need to check that you will allow them on your property :lol:

I would not complain, but I figure those who have answered are in the minority. I lived in Hampton Roads for several years. There was a housing development built really close to a military runway where jets take off and land. There were always people complaining about the noise and the rattling windows in their house. The runway had been there many many years before the housing development.

I live in HR now and they STILL complain about things like this, and they also just keep building even though the Navy warns them about it all the time.

I'm further out in Chesapeake this time so the jet noise is pretty rare but there are nights when it sound like there are guys fast roping into my yard from helicopters, but hey I chose to live here and knew things like this would happen so I just usually laugh and hope I don't end up hearing anything that sounds like a crash.

As for the OP and the farm situation, well if they were crazy enough to put the house there and didn't realize those situations then "too bad, so sad" they can learn to deal or move. We'd love to live somewhere like that. Now if you had pigs you'd probably have my 7 year old knocking on your door looking for a room to stay in tomorrow. LOL