Menu

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the world's most wasteful inventions ever. Single servings of pre-ground (and thus not really fresh) coffee that is often flavored with hideous additives. The kcups come packed in plastic with an extraordinary amount of waste with each serving. About as unearth-friendly a product as one could imagine.

To top it off the kcups are ridiculously expensive. So much so that people hide them from their blood relations for fear they might help themselves a little too lavishly.

Good grief!

Bill

Ahhhhh....there he is! Saving the world one kcup at a time!;)

I seriously love you, Bill! (she types while drinking a decaf brewed in her Keurig):D

And remember: It would be rude of you to give them a gift of a box of K cups this time, you know, smiling sweetly and saying, "I remember you liked these last time. We had to get rid of our K cup machine due to the expense, but here, just for you..."

Terri

:lol::rofl::smilielol5:

Whoa, somebody needs Audrey's kitchen tongs.

:lol:

I don't have a Keurig, and don;t like flavored coffee. But I do liek them in waiting rooms... my chiropractor has one- he doesn't need a whole pot of coffee cooking away all day long, so this is good there. The girls love to have one- it's like a toy- the easy Bake Oven for coffee, I guess. :confused: Add in the powdered creamer and SpyCar will lose his mind. :D

I actually prefer those single-brew coffee things that look like tea bags... I think they're called Folgers Coffee Singles? We don't keep decaf cofee in the house- but I buy those for my decaf friends. We also had them instead of a pot of coffee at the refreshment table for the high school musical. (My brilliant idea :D ) and only one lady refused to drink it.

514HHW15KFL._SY450_.jpg

I would just buy the reusable insert. This will keep the relatives from stealing the disposable cups, and it will show them that they can just buy one of these and some coffee if the regular cups are too expensive.

Or, they'll take those too.

Clearly they enjoy kcup of they wouldn't have taken so much home! I would just put out a select number of kcups. They are guests in your home and your dh's parents. Plenty of reasons to put out the "good" stuff.:)

They've stolen from her. Plenty of reason to lock up the silver, imo.

:iagree: It's happened to me. It's not just that stealing's wrong, there's also a horrible feeling of betrayal and of not being respected or valued.

I had several boxes of Kcups and in the few days they visited most were depleted? Knowing you can't drink that much it's assumed perhaps they took some home with them.

Well they come next week for 4 days.

Here is our solution: :glare:

I should finish all the Kcups on hand before they arrive. I bought a cheap coffee maker and bag of coffee for $14. :D

I even have plenty of creamer on hand. :tongue_smilie:

So they will have coffee but there are no Kcups on site!

I remember your original thread. I hope it goes well. I too am curious to see if they ask where the K-cups are. :p I wonder if privately one will say to the other, "You see I told you we shouldn't have taken so many. Now we have to drink that cheap crap!" :lol:

:iagree: Two wrongs don't make a right. I never read the original thread, but really?? You are going to lie to them in order to get them back for their stealing?

:confused: I'm not seeing a second wrong here. What exactly is wrong with providing non-kcup coffee? If anything, Bill says it's more rightous to NOT use kcups, so her plan is doubly right :tongue_smilie:.

I am not saying what the inlaws did was right. It absolutely was not. However, there is an easy solution to this. Don't put out as many kcups than will be needed over the 4 day stay. Instead of having 100 available, put out 12.

I obviously do not know these people personally, but they are her dh's parents. It's coffee. Perhaps in his family everyone shares and shares alike? I know my dh's family likes to be in everyones business while I am very private. Families just function differently and I am just more inclined to give the parents a little grace for this one offense.

If it were ME, I would put out the kcups.

Putting out fewer kcups is preventative. Not putting them out at all is making a statement.

I am not saying what the inlaws did was right. It absolutely was not. However, there is an easy solution to this. Don't put out as many kcups than will be needed over the 4 day stay. Instead of having 100 available, put out 12.

I obviously do not know these people personally, but they are her dh's parents. It's coffee. Perhaps in his family everyone shares and shares alike? I know my dh's family likes to be in everyones business while I am very private. Families just function differently and I am just more inclined to give the parents a little grace for this one offense.

Putting out fewer kcups is preventative. Not putting them out at all is making a statement.

No, it's choosing what to serve company. If Tess's family eats steak every Thursday night but can't afford steak for company without destroying their steak budget for the month, so they don't serve steak (although they have some in the freezer) but instead they serve chili, is that making a statement?

No, it would be nonsensical to call that a political move. Budget-conscious yet hospitable is what it is, and both of those are good qualities.

Putting away the previously-thieved super-spendy kcups and serving perfectly good other coffee, nothing wrong with it, not poisoned, not fit for the dogs, but just, you know, coffee, to guests, is fine. Serving coffee to one's guests is hospitable. It's a nice thing to fix a cup of coffee for guests, and the guests will be receiving their nice cups of coffee.

:confused: I'm not seeing a second wrong here. What exactly is wrong with providing non-kcup coffee? If anything, Bill says it's more rightous to NOT use kcups, so her plan is doubly right :tongue_smilie:.

The second wrong is the way the OP is going to leave the Keurig on the counter just so the inlaws can see it. She is taunting them.

Absolutely nothing wrong with serving non-kcup coffee if that is what you have available. The OP stated that she is making it a point to use up the ones that she has before her inlaws arrive. That is the difference.

My inlaws are difficult at times too. TRUST ME!! However, they are the parents of my dh and my kids' grandparents. I would just try to make it so the same incidence could not happen again.

The same thing could be accompished by only putting out 12 kcups. Don't know why this is so hard???

It doesn't sound like they were put out. They were put away in the cupboard where they belong. Now if you're saying she should put a limited number in the cupboard, where does she put the rest? In her underwear drawer? Isn't that the same as putting them away? What if they run out of the 12 in the cupboard? Does she need to try to sneak another 12 from her drawer? What if they see her do it?

And it didn't sound like she's going to deliberately try to use her current supply up before they arrive, as in down as much kcup coffee as she can, but that she will not buy more before they arrive--and her current supply will run out by then from regular use.

The same thing could be accompished by only putting out 12 kcups. Don't know why this is so hard???

Not serving KCup coffee is hardly poor hospitality, though. She is still providing coffee, just not expensive trendy coffee products (not a fan here. :D) Putting out 12 cups could be a problem, if they take them the first day and then she needs to buy more lest she look like a poor hostess.

It's actually kinder to not have it around altogether, as it might remind them of their transgression and cause them guilt.

Honestly, you can make a different in choice in how to handle this situation, but hiding part of them doesn't seem any more noble to me than running out. The OP is hardly wronging these folks.

They didn't just drink a lot of coffee. They didn't ask her if it would be OK if they took a few extra K-Cups home with them. They STOLE them.

In my world, STEALING is a bad thing.

And when family steals from family, it is a horrible thing. It's not something for which you "give a little grace." IMO, she's giving them a whole lot of grace by allowing them into her home at all. Who wants guests who will steal from you? :confused:

If she's "making a statement" by not putting out K-Cups this time around, I certainly hope they're smart enough to realize it.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

Not serving KCup coffee is hardly poor hospitality, though. She is still providing coffee, just not expensive trendy coffee products (not a fan here. :D) Putting out 12 cups could be a problem, if they take them the first day and then she needs to buy more lest she look like a poor hostess.

If they have the nerve to mention it, you can just politely say that the k-cups didn't seem to last very well. You switched over to regular coffee because you didn't want to run out while they were visiting. :tongue_smilie:

I've never had k-cup coffee. I need to find a friend with one who will give me a cup. :lol:

:iagree: It's happened to me. It's not just that stealing's wrong, there's also a horrible feeling of betrayal and of not being respected or valued.

well there is a history of not respecting us. This just blew our minds. Ask and I would have gladly shared some. I just didn't know what to do when they came back and I just wanted to share my solution.

Bill, sorry I am making a pile of trash that the environment doesn't need. You are right, there is much better tasting coffee out there. I just never drink more than a cup in the morning but I see your points. And now I have the cheapo pot with some Seattle's Best Coffee to enjoy! Who knows...maybe I won't go back to the Kcups. :D:tongue_smilie:

They didn't just drink a lot of coffee. They didn't ask her if it would be OK if they took a few extra K-Cups home with them. They STOLE them.

And when family steals from family, it is a horrible thing. It's not something for which you "give a little grace." IMO, she's giving them a whole lot of grace by allowing them into her home at all. Who wants guests who will steal from you? :confused:

If she's "making a statement" by not putting out K-Cups this time around, I certainly hope they're smart enough to realize it.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

If they have the nerve to mention it, you can just politely say that the k-cups didn't seem to last very well. You switched over to regular coffee because you didn't want to run out while they were visiting. :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, and you could remind them that if they happen to pass by a store during their visit, they might want to stop in and buy some K-Cups. Tell them you'd buy them yourself, but wow, they're just so gosh-darned expensive and they seem to practically fly right out of the house when you buy them, so that's why you don't buy them any more. But, you know, if they want to buy them, the Keurig is right there on the counter. (Be sure they know what flavors you like best.) :tongue_smilie:

I've never had k-cup coffee. I need to find a friend with one who will give me a cup. :lol:

You could come to my house and steal some of my K-Cups. I would politely turn the other way and pretend not to see you do it. :D

No, it's choosing what to serve company. If Tess's family eats steak every Thursday night but can't afford steak for company without destroying their steak budget for the month, so they don't serve steak (although they have some in the freezer) but instead they serve chili, is that making a statement?

No, it would be nonsensical to call that a political move. Budget-conscious yet hospitable is what it is, and both of those are good qualities.

Putting away the previously-thieved super-spendy kcups and serving perfectly good other coffee, nothing wrong with it, not poisoned, not fit for the dogs, but just, you know, coffee, to guests, is fine. Serving coffee to one's guests is hospitable. It's a nice thing to fix a cup of coffee for guests, and the guests will be receiving their nice cups of coffee.

:iagree:

Here's something to think about. What if I didn't drink coffee? Am I rude not to have any in the house?? Or sweet tea?? I have always provided drinks I didn't drink in the past b/c I knew guests drank them. The Keurig is on the counter b/c I usually have kcups. I don't right now. And knowing a large purchase could disappear is my reason for not buying more right now. But I am providing. And dh uses the refillable cup for making tea. So it's in use but not for coffee. It's not to taunt. Again, I was just sharing my solution...not opening up a debate if we aren't fair. They are staying with us...after last time it's very generous.

:iagree: It's a shame you have to hide things, or in this case, not even have them, because family is coming to visit.

Here's something to think about. What if I didn't drink coffee? Am I rude not to have any in the house??

When I was growing up we had a jar of Taster's Choice in the back of the fridge for my grandmother. We were a non-coffee household but tried to provide something. I bet she hated it, but she never said anything. :) But we didn't know anything about coffee!

Sorry, the feelings of a lazy, environment-killing wastrels don't count nearly as much as the environment now.

I thought we had rules against proselytizing? :D

Ppl who are a guest in someone's home and steal from them are scuzz.

*Family* that steals is even worse.

Frankly, I'd leave them a jar of insant, 2 dixie cups, and directions to the tap. Outside. On the curb. And still consider myself on the side of generous :glare:

We used them in the hospital when we were there. Well not the coffee ones, but I did destroy the environment by buying a bunch of tea ones and some hot chocolate ones. I love the hot chocolate ones. I am actually planning on buying one for the house, I want to start the 5 year old on coffee to see if it helps with his ADHD, and I don't want to brew a whole pot of coffee for half a cup a day if it works. Plus I love the hot chocolate ones, and would love having them readily available. That being said I do use real cream not the artificial stuff.

You could come to my house and steal some of my K-Cups. I would politely turn the other way and pretend not to see you do it. :D

:lol: I'd rather sit and have a cup with you.

I wouldn't steal them since I don't have a Keurig at home to use them in anyhow. But if you stepped out of the room for too long, I might start brewing them up and pouring them into a thermos in my purse. ;)

Here's something to think about. What if I didn't drink coffee? Am I rude not to have any in the house?? Or sweet tea?? I have always provided drinks I didn't drink in the past b/c I knew guests drank them. The Keurig is on the counter b/c I usually have kcups. I don't right now. And knowing a large purchase could disappear is my reason for not buying more right now. But I am providing. And dh uses the refillable cup for making tea. So it's in use but not for coffee. It's not to taunt. Again, I was just sharing my solution...not opening up a debate if we aren't fair. They are staying with us...after last time it's very generous.

I didn't read this entire thread, just your OP and these last pages, but it seems you've gotten jumped on. I'm sorry for that. You shouldn't have to cater to people who steal from you (no matter who they are) nor should you have to defend yourself for not doing so. :grouphug::grouphug:

I want to start the 5 year old on coffee to see if it helps with his ADHD, and I don't want to brew a whole pot of coffee for half a cup a day if it works.

I have bought instant espresso granules. I can dissolve a small amount in hot water and stir it into a mug of almond milk or hot chocolate, and my kids can't really taste it. I store the jar in the freezer, and the same little jar has lasted a really long time. The sneakiness of it made it useful for testing the placebo effect.

:iagree: I'm a little shocked that anyone would even suggest she's being ungracious by putting out a drip coffee maker after they stole from her. :confused:

If they'd stolen her jewelry, would it be wrong to give her valuables to a friend to keep while they're there? How is locking up the stuff they're inclined to steal "lying"??

If I recall the original post correctly she DID only put a generously reasonable amount out... they took the rest out of storage and took them home.

And maybe she has to leave the keurig out ont he counter because there is no room for it? I have nowhere to put my kitchenaid stand mixer other than my counter, so it stays there all the time.

Every time Bill posts on these threads, I go brew a K-cup.

I'm gonna be up all night.

A new WTMforums drinking game! :cheers2:

And maybe she has to leave the keurig out ont he counter because there is no room for it? I have nowhere to put my kitchenaid stand mixer other than my counter, so it stays there all the time.

You mean you don't offer butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking soda, vanilla and chocolate chips to anyone guest who happens to want to bake cookies? RUDE! :lol:

Because she did that last time and they STOLE the others she had in storage. Obviously just putting a few out isn't going to cut it with these people.

Stealing is wrong. I don't care how we are related. I had a cousin who stole my stepmom's checkbook and wrote bad checks. Was she being rude to use a checkbook in front of him after they got all that cleared up?

OP :grouphug: There is something icky about having thieving relatives. My niece stole some of my pain pills last time she was here. I so seldom use them that I didn't notice for several months. I felt really violated.

You are not being rude. You are providing coffee. I don't think Emily Post thinks one should reward a thief with first class goods. I think you came to a good solution under the circumstances.

Edited by pdalley

You mean you don't offer butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking soda, vanilla and chocolate chips to anyone guest who happens to want to bake cookies? RUDE! :lol:

Anyone is most certainly welcome to bake using my ingredients... as long as I get some too. I hate baking, and cookies are especially my worst- not due to lack of intelligence or ability but rather childhood trauma.

But I also don't mark the levels in my baking ingredients and since I rarely bake I;d never know if someone came in and cleaned out my entire cabinet. :D Unless they left a plate of cookies like I was Santa Claus. :lol:

But not offering freshly baked cookies to my guests? Yeah- I'm RUDE there. I am eternally grateful for GFS foods pre-shaped frozen unbaked cookies. And the giant tub of scary-white frosting... it has allowed my children to have much happier memories of Christmas cookies. :tongue_smilie:

I think that's very generous of you, and perfectly reasonable as well. I think it's reasonable to have a few drinks on hand that you know your guests like, even if you don't drink them, but only to a point. You shouldn't feel obligated to have an entire beverage store on hand, and if you don't happen to have any K-cups, so be it. Your guests don't get to feel taunted; they are welcome to bring some K-cups for everyone to use if they want them that badly.

I want to start the 5 year old on coffee to see if it helps with his ADHD, and I don't want to brew a whole pot of coffee for half a cup a day if it works.

We have a small coffee maker (4 cups), and we could use it for half a cup a day if we wanted to. DH makes a full pot, and I usually make a second pot, but usually with just two cups, sometimes just one. It is pretty quick, just a couple of minutes. Much less expensive and more environmentally-friendly than the K-cups.