Menu

I just need to vent....maybe some advice if anyone has any?!?

Okay.....first of all (I was going to wait a bit, but it's kind of important to the story):

photo15.jpg?t=1344535064

That being said....I have a major dilemma.

I'm sure you all remember my surgery back in March to remove an ovarian cyst. I ended up with a $1200 or $1300 doctor bill. The doctor's office called me on July 23rd demanding a payment and stating that if I didn't pay it in full, I would no longer be a patient there. The woman was not very nice. I do understand that it is her job to intimidate people into paying her, but boy she sure was confrontational. I didn't have anything to give them at that time, but I called back on August 2nd to arrange payments. I agreed to pay $50/month and provided a debit card for them to automatically withdraw it on the 2nd of every month. I specifically asked the woman if that would clear me to continue to be seen and she said, "yes".

On Monday of this week, I called to make my first OB appointment. After pulling up my account, I was told I could not be seen until my bill was paid in full. I asked to speak to someone in billing as was sent to the mean lady that had called me on July 23rd. I explained what I was told on Aug 2nd and she was VERY quick to remind me (in a very condescending tone) that she had already told me on July 23rd that this would happen. I asked if it matter that I would be a medicaid patient and there would be no additional amounts added to my bill. She didn't care and claimed that she had already reviewed my account with the office manager and until I cleared my bill, I could not be seen.

At that point, the tears started flowing and I couldn't stop them. I have 12yr of history with this office and have NEVER carried a balance. I said to the woman, "so, after 12yr and 3 babies with the same doctor, I now have to find a new one for my last baby?" and she just said "until your balance is cleared you cannot make any new appointments". It's hard to describe her tone on here, but trust me when I say that it was NOT NICE......even when I was sobbing.

So, here I sit. TWELVE years and THREE babies with my OB and now they won't let me make an appointment over a $1200 or $1300 bill that already has payment arrangements made on it. I just don't understand. No additional charges will be accruing. What does not seeing me change? They will get their $50/month and my bill will go down $50/month whether they agree to see me or not?

DH tried calling today and, of course, got the mean lady (she's the collections lady) to talk to. He argued with her for a few minutes before she said "I'm going to end this conversation" and hung up. He plans to talk to the office manager, but prefers to do it in person, so it'll wait until tomorrow.

I'm just devastated. This seems so stupid. Sigh.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay.....first of all (I was going to wait a bit, but it's kind of important to the story):

photo15.jpg?t=1344535064

I'm sure you all remember my surgery back in March to remove an ovarian cyst. I ended up with a $1200 or $1300 doctor bill. The doctor's office called me on July 23rd demanding a payment and stating that if I didn't pay it in full, I would no longer be a patient there. The woman was not very nice. I do understand that it is her job to intimidate people into paying her, but boy she sure was confrontational. I didn't have anything to give them at that time, but I called back on August 2nd to arrange payments. I agreed to pay $50/month and provided a debit card for them to automatically withdraw it on the 2nd of every month. I specifically asked the woman if that would clear me to continue to be seen and she said, "yes".

On Monday of this week, I called to make my first OB appointment. After pulling up my account, I was told I could not be seen until my bill was paid in full. I asked to speak to someone in billing as was sent to the mean lady that had called me on July 23rd. I explained what I was told on Aug 2nd and she was VERY quick to remind me (in a very condescending tone) that she had already told me on July 23rd that this would happen. I asked if it matter that I would be a medicaid patient and there would be no additional amounts added to my bill. She didn't care and claimed that she had already reviewed my account with the office manager and until I cleared my bill, I could not be seen.

At that point, the tears started flowing and I couldn't stop them. I have 12yr of history with this office and have NEVER carried a balance. I said to the woman, "so, after 12yr and 3 babies with the same doctor, I now have to find a new one for my last baby?" and she just said "until your balance is cleared you cannot make any new appointments". It's hard to describe her tone on here, but trust me when I say that it was NOT NICE......even when I was sobbing.

So, here I sit. TWELVE years and THREE babies with my OB and now they won't let me make an appointment over a $1200 or $1300 bill that already has payment arrangements made on it. I just don't understand. No additional charges will be accruing. What does not seeing me change? They will get their $50/month and my bill will go down $50/month whether they agree to see me or not?

DH tried calling today and, of course, got the mean lady (she's the collections lady) to talk to. He argued with her for a few minutes before she said "I'm going to end this conversation" and hung up. He plans to talk to the office manager, but prefers to do it in person, so it'll wait until tomorrow.

It IS stupid. You are paying on it.

I'm sorry.

And Congratulations! You will find someone better.

Call and leave a message explaining the situation to your doctor. Odds are, since your family has been seeing this doctor for so long, he/she will have a little talk with the billing department.

I don't know how to do that. This is an office of 19 practitioners. Even when you call with a medical issue, they take your name and number and have a nurse call you back. If it warrants a check with the doctor, the nurse will check and then call you back again to let you know what the doctor said. I have no idea how to get a hold of my doctor directly. :(

Call and leave a message explaining the situation to your doctor. Odds are, since your family has been seeing this doctor for so long, he/she will have a little talk with the billing department.

Sometimes doctors have no idea how their staff behaves when they're not within earshot. Generally, doctors are willing to work with a patient who has a payment plan. It might be worth contacting the doctor directly and explaining the situation. The office should have the doctor call you if you request that. If for some reason they are jerks about it, then contact a hospital your doctor is affiliated with, and have them get in touch with him to call you. Good luck and congrats! :grouphug:

aw, that is awful. Im sorry.

Maybe this means you are meant to be seen by someone else, someone even better?

Sigh....I don't know. I love my doctor. She knows my kids by name.

Not only that, but there is only one other OB practice in town and they aren't accepting medicaid patients right now.

photo15.jpg?t=1344535064

I'm sure you all remember my surgery back in March to remove an ovarian cyst. I ended up with a $1200 or $1300 doctor bill. The doctor's office called me on July 23rd demanding a payment and stating that if I didn't pay it in full, I would no longer be a patient there.

On Monday of this week, I called to make my first OB appointment. After pulling up my account, I was told I could not be seen until my bill was paid in full.

Is that even legal?? :confused:

It *is* stupid...

I'm sorry she treated you this way!! :grouphug:

Is that even legal?? :confused:

It *is* stupid...

I'm sorry she treated you this way!! :grouphug:

Ha! I don't even know. I'd love it if it wasn't. That lady was so mean. It wasn't what she said, it was definitely HOW she said it. Makes me want to cry just thinking about it.

I don't know how to do that. This is an office of 19 practitioners. Even when you call with a medical issue, they take your name and number and have a nurse call you back. If it warrants a check with the doctor, the nurse will check and then call you back again to let you know what the doctor said. I have no idea how to get a hold of my doctor directly. :(

He may also be listed in the phone book. :)

Also you could send a letter to him outlining the situation. But generally, hospitals are pretty good about having a doctor call you back -- they get them the messages, they have to. You don't have to be specific you could say, "I need Dr. so-and-so to call me at home."

First off.....Congrats!! :D

Secondly....call the office and tell the receptionist you wish to speak to the patient liason for that office. Tell her both you and your husband were both treated extremely rudely by someone in their employ and you would both like to lodge a complaint and also make an appointment with Dr. Xyz. I would tell the person you have been their client for 12 years....longer than Mrs. Snippy-pants and you would like the complaint to go on file.

When you DO get your appointment with your Doctor PLEASE inform him of your treatment by this person. Sometimes when you run a business, you have no idea why you are losing clients if no one tells you.

I had to do this one time with a doctor's office staff. The receptionist, for some reason, thought it her job to protect the OB from his crazy clients and wouldn't put calls through....My doctor was livid, and fired her. This was an awesome Dr. who happened to hire a kook.

I hope it all works out for you with your Dr. He probably has no idea how this woman is treating his patients.

Faithe

Sometimes doctors have no idea how their staff behaves when they're not within earshot. Generally, doctors are willing to work with a patient who has a payment plan. It might be worth contacting the doctor directly and explaining the situation. The office should have the doctor call you if you request that. If for some reason they are jerks about it, then contact a hospital your doctor is affiliated with, and have them get in touch with him to call you. Good luck and congrats! :grouphug:

:iagree:

I would find any way possible to get in touch with your doctor. If he is any kind of doctor, and I'm guessing you like him since you have been with him through 12 years and 3 babies, he is going to want to keep you as a patient. If there are 19 doctors then he is even LESS likely to know what is going on.

Gatekeepers can suck, sorry, I know they have their position, but reducing people to tears shouldn't be one of them.

Congratulations!! :party: :party:

Call back and ask who they could refer you to if they're not accepting you as a patient and explain you've tried another office to no avail.

Of course it is legal that they don't see you if the bill isn't paid. We do live in a free country. THat doesn't mean it is nice or good or anything else.

OP, I would write the doctor a letter since that should get to the doctor and explain the situation. You won't be incurring any more bills and you are making payments. Hopefully, that will cause the doctor to see you through this pregnancy.

Congratulations.

I would suggest a letter marked to Dr. So and so and then also put in bold letters, CONFIDENTIAL! The staff will be in big trouble for opening it. It should go directly to her desk.

I'd also send it registered receipt so someone has to sign for it.

Tell the doctor how you feel, let her know that the other office is not taking new patients so your child will not be receiving pre-natal care, and see what happens. Chances are, once the doctor is apprised of the situation and sees that A. you have state health insurance and B. you have a good faith payment plan, she will tell the office staff that you are a patient in good standing and call to make an appointment.

There is no guarantee, but generally, I think most docs will go for this unless of course their practices in are in bad financial straits.

:grouphug:

Faith

I'm not so sure a doctor can deny medical care to an existing patient...

First off, congratulations!!! I would definitely call someone in the state government who oversees this kind of thing and find out if they can even do this. We have a $10,000 deductible healthcare plan and have had to carry a balance on high cost procedures. It took me three years to pay for a $7000 colonoscopy :glare: I've NEVER had anyone say I could not be seen or treated if we were carrying a balance. In fact, when I call or go in they don't even MENTION it to me; it's SOLELY handled with the billing dept. I would be very upset too.

Sigh....I don't know. I love my doctor. She knows my kids by name.

Not only that, but there is only one other OB practice in town and they aren't accepting medicaid patients right now.

I don't get it.... the bills you incur for pregnancy will be covered by medicaid already. Dumb people.

Your dh is right, I'd march down there myself and have a talk with them too!

:grouphug: and Yay for you too!

Congratulations!

Send a confidential letter to the Dr.

YOu don't have to rush in, just try and relax while this gets settled.

And, minor vent, I paid a whopping total of $3000 to a birth center when my oldest was born. That's *only* 21 years ago, not 65. Prices are cah-razy.

When you or your dh talk to the office manager, make sure to let them know you want the doctor notified of this. After all it is his/her business and these are his/her employees.

If you feel, you cannot reach the physician, write a letter with "confidential" marked on the envelope and directly addressed to the physician. Just saw Faith already

suggested this - great minds think alike. :)

Edited by Liz CA

Of course it is legal that they don't see you if the bill isn't paid. We do live in a free country. THat doesn't mean it is nice or good or anything else.

OP, I would write the doctor a letter since that should get to the doctor and explain the situation. You won't be incurring any more bills and you are making payments. Hopefully, that will cause the doctor to see you through this pregnancy.

Congratulations.

Actually, since she will be covered with State insurance for her pregnancy, it is illegal for them to refuse to see her based on a previous bill.

If you get no where with the Dr.'s office, call your state Medicaid Ombudsman and explain the situation to them. They will call the Office and get it straightened out.

Congratulations!

Send a confidential letter to the Dr.

YOu don't have to rush in, just try and relax while this gets settled.

And, minor vent, I paid a whopping total of $3000 to a birth center when my oldest was born. That's *only* 21 years ago, not 65. Prices are cah-razy.

My midwife still only charges $4,500 for all prenatal care, birth, and postnatal care. Actually, if you are self pay I hear it is $4,000.

:iagree: I have had disagreements with doctors over billing that they billing manager refused to budge on. One time I wrote a letter and received a personal call from the doctor stating that it was cleared and not to worry about it. The second I spoke the the doctor personally and it was cleared up.

Congrats! Don't worry, you'll get it resolved. I know how stressful it is right now though.

Congrats on the pregnancy!

You've gotten some great advice here on getting in touch with your doctor. We also had an instance where the doctor's staff didn't want to let us through and we were able to reach the doctor who said of course she would see us (and did).

Actually, since she will be covered with State insurance for her pregnancy, it is illegal for them to refuse to see her based on a previous bill.

If you get no where with the Dr.'s office, call your state Medicaid Ombudsman and explain the situation to them. They will call the Office and get it straightened out.

::delurking::

Depending on the state, yes, this is VERY accurate.

OP, if tomorrow your Dh doesn't get anywhere with the Office manager. Call the State Attorney General's office. Thye will be able to tell you if this act is legal or not and how to handle it. Some states will have you contact the office manager again and "inform" them of their mistake and others will do it themselves.

Good luck,

Kris

This is exactly my thought. ESPECIALLY if the only other OB in town doen't accept it.

I would suggest a letter marked to Dr. So and so and then also put in bold letters, CONFIDENTIAL! The staff will be in big trouble for opening it. It should go directly to her desk.

I'd also send it registered receipt so someone has to sign for it.

Tell the doctor how you feel, let her know that the other office is not taking new patients so your child will not be receiving pre-natal care, and see what happens. Chances are, once the doctor is apprised of the situation and sees that A. you have state health insurance and B. you have a good faith payment plan, she will tell the office staff that you are a patient in good standing and call to make an appointment.

There is no guarantee, but generally, I think most docs will go for this unless of course their practices in are in bad financial straits.

Faith

:iagree: with Faith's plan, and congratulations!!

Secondly....call the office and tell the receptionist you wish to speak to the patient liason for that office. Tell her both you and your husband were both treated extremely rudely by someone in their employ and you would both like to lodge a complaint and also make an appointment with Dr. Xyz. I would tell the person you have been their client for 12 years....longer than Mrs. Snippy-pants and you would like the complaint to go on file.

When you DO get your appointment with your Doctor PLEASE inform him of your treatment by this person. Sometimes when you run a business, you have no idea why you are losing clients if no one tells you.

:iagree::iagree:This is excellent advice.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: and congratulations!!!

If I'm understanding correctly, you have agreed to pay $50 a month til the $1300 balance is paid off. This means it will be 26 months before your doctor will be fully paid for the work that she and her staff have provided you.

Would you expect to go to a restaurant or clothing store, rack up a bill, convince them to wait over 2 years to be fully paid, and then be welcomed back to the establishment? Why do you all expect this of your doctors? Obgyns have some of the highest malpractice premiums to pay in the industry. They have nurses, staff, and overhead to pay. Just because they're doctors doesn't mean their work should go without rightful compensation.

I seriously don't understand some of these responses.

To get a message to the DOCTOR, I would try to send a handwritten card in a nice envelope, addressed to the doctor by name, with "personal and confidential" written on the outside, bottom of the envelope.

"Dear Dr. ###,

I just wanted to personally thank you for your wonderful care over the past 12 years and three babies. You have been so important/wonderful/etc. . .

I am now pregnant with my fourth (final) baby, and I was so distressed when Sally, in billing, told me that I could not make an appt to see you since we are making $50/mo payments on our outstanding $1200 bill. I am sorry we weren't able to pay this bill in full yet, and I want you to know that we do plan to continue payments until it is paid in full, even though we aren't able to see you.

If there is any way that you could intervene with the billing department to allow us to be seen for this pregnancy, I would greatly appreciate it. (The pregnancy will be covered by Medicaid, so we will not run up any additional payments, but will continue to make payments on our balance.)

If you are not able to see me for this pregancy, I would be ever so grateful if you could refer me to another OB who might provide me with the x/y/x/wonderful care you have provided me in the past.

Best wishes, and thank you so much,

Sincerely,

. . .

(Include your phone number and mailing address.)

It might not work, but it is a good shot.

Congratulations. I agree this is rude, rude, rude. I got the same kind of treatment from the Medicaid office; apparently some people enjoy seeing others hurt.

That said, I would most definitely go there in person and be pretty loud in the lobby, demanding to see the office manager and if still a problem request to see the doctor and gt this settled. This woman is just so rude. I suspect a polite, but public scene would take care of things in your favor.

Not necessarily. OP said it is a office of 19 practitioners. This might be a practice policy out of the hands of the individual doctors. Practice policies like cutting off patients who don't pay their bills protect all the doctors in the practice. It is possible that one doctor can't over-ride the policy.

Not saying it isn't worth a try, but be aware that the doctor might not have any say over this issue.

Unfortunately, doctors don't have to accept anyone as a patient. If you have an unpaid bill, they don't have to accept you even if you have Medicaid or have been seen there before. In my county, only the doctors who want to practice at the county owned hospital will take Medicaid and that's because they have to if they want hospital rights. Most doctors don't think it pays enough to make taking Medicaid patients worth the trouble. I'm sorry they were so rude to you and there's no excuse for that, but it's possible that the doctor is the one who set the policy.

Medicaid will sometimes pay bills that happened before you were covered by them. It is worth checking into. I had a hospital stay several years ago when I was uninsured. I applied for coverage after the incident and it covered the bill.

If the pregnancy now makes her eligible for Medicaid (and she wasn't before), Medicaid will not pay any previous bills.

If I'm understanding correctly, you have agreed to pay $50 a month til the $1300 balance is paid off. This means it will be 26 months before your doctor will be fully paid for the work that she and her staff have provided you.

Would you expect to go to a restaurant or clothing store, rack up a bill, convince them to wait over 2 years to be fully paid, and then be welcomed back to the establishment? Why do you all expect this of your doctors? Obgyns have some of the highest malpractice premiums to pay in the industry. They have nurses, staff, and overhead to pay. Just because they're doctors doesn't mean their work should go without rightful compensation.

I seriously don't understand some of these responses.

The OP didn't ask for a "free ride"...she is paying the bill. It's called a payment plan...some of us aren't on the "high horse" you're riding around on. :glare:

Seriously...I don't understand some of the snooty/I'm better than you are attitudes...