Menu

Wal-Mart RV "camping" - yes or no?

I'm curious about this after watching a film in my class at college. Apparently, some Wal-Marts post "No overnight camping," while others don't discourage the practice. Yet, the No Overnight Camping sites still apparently turn a blind eye to the campers. (At least it appeared so in the film.) Is this truly a free RV camping option? Would you camp there despite posted signs if it was apparently being done by others anyway? Would you perhaps do this, but only if it was not posted as prohibited? Would you never do this, legal or not?

I wouldn't do it, but I'm kind of a rule follower on things like that.

I've never quite understood the appeal of staying in a Wal-Mart parking lot. It's not like you have an electrical or sewer hook-up. Why not stay somewhere more aesthetically appealing, if you're not worried about the hook-ups :confused:?

When I met hubby he was traveling from job to job, living in an Isuzu Trooper. He would go to the gym after work to shower and try to meet ladies, eat at an all you can eat Asian buffet, and then sleep in a sleeping bag in the front of his trooper. He would park under a street light in a parking lot of whatever was near his work, Walmart included, and as never asked to leave, or even questioned. So, people do it.

He can go long periods without eating, and has very "regulated bowel" (you can almost set a watch by it). It worked for him and saved him rent.

Plenty of folks do it here. Our town is sort-of an in-between place - lots of summer tourists going from point A to point B in their RVs. There are a few RV places in town, but not many, so folks park their RVs in parking lots (including Walmart) while they are in town for a day or so.

Turns the parking lot into quite a social place when a large group of Rvs stop there for the night. Much cheaper than hotel rooms!

My parents have done this a couple of times. Once, they arrived in a small town and the campsites were all closed (or full, I can't remember which) so they went back to WalMart and parked by several other campers. They only did it for one night and were welcomed by WalMart and their security personnel. They said they would not make it a habit however simply because they didn't like the bright lights shining in all night.

Wal Mart's policy has been to allow it and encourage it. It is the cities that are putting a stop to it in some places.

I would stop for a night, in a camper or RV not a tent or a sleeping bag under a car. There are times that we travel that we get in late and plan to leave in the morning. Sometimes it really isn't about camping.

My FIL and step-MIL travel around the US in their RV and often spend a night at W-mart. They only do it when they are on the road, going from one point to another or if they get tired and need to rest for a while. They mainly camp at camp grounds.

They say W-mart encourages it as an active parking lot keeps theft rates down, plus they know the RVers will do their shopping at their stores. FIL has said it is not uncommon to have a W-mart security guard come around to chat and see if they need anything.

As someone else mentioned, though, come cities do have ordinances against overnight camping.

When we looked into RV living it was an option we considered while traveling from one place to another. It does depend upon local law and there seems to be a code of etiquette. For instance if you have pop-outs don't use them, park in a far end, support the business a little, don't BBQ in the parking lot, and leave no trace. Although from these posts its seems some use it as a party location. Some people alert the manager as a courtesy as well.

Our Walmart gets used a lot for RVs due to our location. Where we used to live did as well, but I personally wouldn't park overnight at that location due to petty crime in the area.

We have a Wal-Mart RV camping app that tells us which Wal-Marts are ok with overnights. We would never spend a lot of time there, but when we drove from Salt Lake City to our home in Canada and were trying to get as many hours of driving in as possible it sure was convenient to pull into a Wal-Mart at 11pm one night and leave first thing the next morning.

Walmart lots can be a lot safer than some interstate rest areas, since there is security and security cameras. When I drove to some of my travel nurse assignments and wanted to drive straight through but got sleepy I would sometimes look for a Walmart parking lot or other 24 hour supermarket type lot to pull over and park my car in for a few hours of rest.

No I wouldn't do it and I find it aggravating that people do here alot. I mean all the time alot. I have seen campers dumping trash in the parking lot. Letting their animals hike their legs on peoples cars and go wherever. It is crummy looking and I hate it. It may not bother me if they could actually park in an out of the way place but half the time you have to fight to get in there.

Mix that with walmart being the only shopping we have besides one winn dixie and one publix it makes for a nightmare.

I think it's a great idea! If you're not gonna use anything around, I can't see why you would pay $40 or whatever for absolutely nothing. We are self sufficient even with our little trailer... Well, the 24 hr restrooms don't sound bad, either. Even though I don't usually shop at Wal-mart.... I'm sure I could find razors there. They're the cheapest at Wal-mart..... :)

When I met hubby he was traveling from job to job, living in an Isuzu Trooper. He would go to the gym after work to shower and try to meet ladies, eat at an all you can eat Asian buffet, and then sleep in a sleeping bag in the front of his trooper. He would park under a street light in a parking lot of whatever was near his work, Walmart included, and as never asked to leave, or even questioned. So, people do it.

Interesting! Food-wise, the all-you-can-eat buffet sounds a lot better than a friend I knew who used to get a dozen donuts because he said it was the cheapest way to get 12 "meals". :lol:

Plenty of folks do it here. Our town is sort-of an in-between place - lots of summer tourists going from point A to point B in their RVs. There are a few RV places in town, but not many, so folks park their RVs in parking lots (including Walmart) while they are in town for a day or so.

Turns the parking lot into quite a social place when a large group of Rvs stop there for the night. Much cheaper than hotel rooms!

It looked like that on the film. One guy even said, "We haven't had a chance yet to meet the 'neighbors'..." :D

Wal Mart's policy has been to allow it and encourage it. It is the cities that are putting a stop to it in some places.

Why do you think the cities care? Wouldn't it be property of Wal-Mart? Hmmm. I'm curious about this now.

Our Walmart has water and electricity for RV campers.

Well, how about that, now!

Walmart lots can be a lot safer than some interstate rest areas, since there is security and security cameras. When I drove to some of my travel nurse assignments and wanted to drive straight through but got sleepy I would sometimes look for a Walmart parking lot or other 24 hour supermarket type lot to pull over and park my car in for a few hours of rest.

That's a good point.

I think it's a great idea! If you're not gonna use anything around, I can't see why you would pay $40 or whatever for absolutely nothing. We are self sufficient even with our little trailer... Well, the 24 hr restrooms don't sound bad, either. Even though I don't usually shop at Wal-mart.... I'm sure I could find razors there. They're the cheapest at Wal-mart..... :)

I'm getting a really funny mental image of you shaving your legs at 1:00am with bottled water...:D

eh go for it unless you get stuck with a park watch guy with mall cop syndrome your good to go. Oh an just go purchase some stuff it usually helps but be prepared to move in the middle of the night because sometimes they do get a wee bit strict but you should be could to go. OH! I almost forgot to mention scope out the area before you call it a night. walmarts are some of the cheapest stores in the nation and can attract crowds that are down right scary.:leaving:

We have done it on a few rare occasions when we were exhausted on a long trip and needed to stay somewhere to sleep for a few hours but there are no inexpensive camping options (or no camping options at all). We have never gone somewhere with a goal of camping at Walmart...it's always been a last resort sort of thing.

When we had an RV, I much preferred to have electric hookups but in a Walmart, I could still get some sleep and a shower in the morning (in the RV) then keep on driving.

We would not park somewhere that didn't want campers...Florida Walmarts didn't want campers when we had our RV for example.

I have never heard of such a thing!! I had no idea that people did this. I don't have any Walmarts in my part of town though and I don't shop there myself anyway, so I guess I wouldn't have noticed.

I wouldn't do it if there were signs posted not to. Of course, I'm not the camping type anyway. I need a decent hotel!

We have "Walmart camped" in our RV before, usually out of necessity. (Pull in late at night, sleep, leave early the next morning.) Walmart encourages this, as they figure people who camp in their parking lots will come into the store to buy something, and they are usually right. From what I understand, it is the municipalities that discourage it, but not Walmart themselves.

Yep, most Wal Marts encourage it and have RV equipment aisles.

My answer is not so much a yes or no, but WHY? The below are the only reasons I could see for camping at Walmart:

Dh and ds overnight camped at several Walmarts when they drove out west a few years ago.

We have done it on a few rare occasions when we were exhausted on a long trip and needed to stay somewhere to sleep for a few hours but there are no inexpensive camping options (or no camping options at all). We have never gone somewhere with a goal of camping at Walmart...it's always been a last resort sort of thing.

<snip>

I could see it as a stop over, if you are too tired to drive any further, or if all the camp grounds were full. I can't see going somewhere with the intention of camping in their parking lot, doesn't that defeat the point of camping? TBH, I've never camped before, rv or otherwise, but if I *were* to camp, I would think part of the allure would be spending time enjoying the ammenities of the campground.

I do know long haul truckers use our local Walmart as a rest stop, we don't have anything else in town and they park at the back, lower end of the lot. I don't think it's ever been a problem.

I wouldn't do it, but I'm kind of a rule follower on things like that.

I've never quite understood the appeal of staying in a Wal-Mart parking lot. It's not like you have an electrical or sewer hook-up. Why not stay somewhere more aesthetically appealing, if you're not worried about the hook-ups :confused:?

Well... I can't speak from much experience here, but I know that a local band goes on tour for about a month at a time and they usually sleep in cars/van in the WM parking lot (or similar) when they are on tour. They are going out west (CA/AZ/NM/CO/etc) in August and they'll probably do the same.

It seems to be sort of standard, because they posted a picture on FB of another band - complete with tour bus - staying in the same parking lot for the night.

I know that isn't everyone, but those are the only ones I know of. :)

We have "Walmart camped" in our RV before, usually out of necessity. (Pull in late at night, sleep, leave early the next morning.) Walmart encourages this, as they figure people who camp in their parking lots will come into the store to buy something, and they are usually right. From what I understand, it is the municipalities that discourage it, but not Walmart themselves.

I hadn't thought of this, but it makes sense as well.

I do know long haul truckers use our local Walmart as a rest stop, we don't have anything else in town and they park at the back, lower end of the lot. I don't think it's ever been a problem.

We have those, too. We have a massive WM parking lot which is never full, so they are never bothering anyone. :)

We have slept a few hours in a Walmart parking lot but not over night. We will go in and buy something stuff even if we don't need it. It don't feel right to go and not get something from the store. I will say Wal Mart is better than Target. There were signs in an east coast state at most places even at the rest stops and there was a freak snow storm and we needed to stop for safety. The rest stop would not let us stay they said they will plow the snow around us and yes they started to do that. We went a Target and asked if we could until the storm passed again a NO and it was a Wal Mart that let us even with the signs saying no overnight. Sometimes you just need to get off the road.

Another variation on boondocking is the Santa Barbara, Calif., homeless parking program. Certain facilities (libraries, churches) allow the homeless to park their vans and RVs in certain spots in their parking lots. So long as they have a permit sticker, no one hassles them. Seems like a kind system.

Rolling Stone: The Sudden Sharp Decline of America's Middle Class

Florida Walmarts didn't want campers when we had our RV for example.

I live in South Florida and have never seen a RV parked at a Walmart, but I do see lots of them parked in a very busy shopping plaza near my home in front of K-mart/Office Max. I see them every year during tourist season, many times it's the same RV still there (I tend to have to run to the BJ's there every few days). I never understood why people would camp in the parking lot and always found it kind of :confused:, but after reading this thread I see it's more common than I ever realized.

Maybe in some other areas, but here Wal-Mart attracts the lowest common denominator. A friend got mugged walking through the Wal-Mart parking lot (she was a Wal-Mart employee at the time, heading to work). Cars are routinely stolen from the Wal-Mart (and the mall) parking lots. Every Christmas our local police tell people to watch for people hiding under cars (at both Wal-Mart and the mall) waiting to cut your ankle with a straight razor and then take your purse and packages. I won't even go in Wal-Mart unless I can get a parking spot right in front AND I have a male friend with me.

There is no way I'd "camp" in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I'd rather (and I have) take my chances at rest areas and 24-hour truck stops.

Sue

Our local WM is on the outskirts of town. Is it much more common to see semi trucks parked there overnight. We are about 30 minutes from the interstate, so I do find that a bit strange. Occasionally I will see an RV, but not often. There are no hook ups there for water or electric either. It's a strange concept for me, honestly.

We traveled for years spending some nights in Walmart parking lots for various reasons. Sometime it was just because we were driving through. Sometimes all the RV parks were full. In some cities it was just for the lights in the parking lots. LOL Over 5 years I never had a Walmart give us gruff. Of course we have been off the road since 2003. I can't wait to get back out there again in the next few years.

Maybe in some other areas, but here Wal-Mart attracts the lowest common denominator. A friend got mugged walking through the Wal-Mart parking lot (she was a Wal-Mart employee at the time, heading to work). Cars are routinely stolen from the Wal-Mart (and the mall) parking lots. Every Christmas our local police tell people to watch for people hiding under cars (at both Wal-Mart and the mall) waiting to cut your ankle with a straight razor and then take your purse and packages. I won't even go in Wal-Mart unless I can get a parking spot right in front AND I have a male friend with me.

There is no way I'd "camp" in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I'd rather (and I have) take my chances at rest areas and 24-hour truck stops.

Sue

Wow. I've been to a lot of Walmarts, but never one even remotely like this.

There have actually been a lot of assaults in W-M parking lots (when the security cameras only cover the doors)... but I would hope that having a few RVs there all night with someone in them would discourage crime out there.

Every Christmas our local police tell people to watch for people hiding under cars (at both Wal-Mart and the mall) waiting to cut your ankle with a straight razor and then take your purse and packages.

This is an urban legend that circulates regularly. Check it out at Snopes.

This is an urban legend that circulates regularly. Check it out at Snopes.

You'd think the ankle slashers would change their MO (or at least their favorite store) once everyone knew, anyway. Must be something primally frightening about razor blades. Like razor blades in apples. I never could understand how they'd get IN there without cutting the exterior of the apple.

You'd think the ankle slashers would change their MO (or at least their favorite store) once everyone knew, anyway. Must be something primally frightening about razor blades. Like razor blades in apples. I never could understand how they'd get IN there without cutting the exterior of the apple.

And what are you supposed to do, go out to your car on stilts? Crawl up on hands and knees and peek, all the while getting run over by someone scanning the lot for a spot?

And what are you supposed to do, go out to your car on stilts?

What, you don't do that already? :001_huh: Wow, you're a danger seeker!

Actually I have some specially made shoes that have daggers sticking out from my ankles! That way I'll slash them before they slash me! They also have strobe lights to illuminate the "bad guys" lurking under my car. I just stick my foot under and POW!

Anyway I never had heard of camping at Wal mart. Totally fascinating.

What, you don't do that already? :001_huh: Wow, you're a danger seeker!

Actually I have some specially made shoes that have daggers sticking out from my ankles! That way I'll slash them before they slash me! They also have strobe lights to illuminate the "bad guys" lurking under my car. I just stick my foot under and POW!

Anyway I never had heard of camping at Wal mart. Totally fascinating.

:smilielol5:

:lol::lol::lol: Too funny. Where did you buy your special shoes?? Walmart? :D

Did you watch the Downton Abbey Christmas special yet? :p

My parents have stayed at Wal-Marts in their RV many times. They don't do it for fun, it's a late night pull-in and early morning pull-out kind of thing. They usually have a destination and will camp when they get there, but when they are trying to cover a lot of miles it's a lot easier to find a Wal-Mart than a campground.

You guys are making me long for a camping trip to Wally World! I mean, how fun!? It's only 105 tomorrow. No silly grass or trees to mess with, no bothering with electric or water hookups - who needs water??? You'd have the black-top all super-heated and the glaring lights at night. Not to mention the lulling sound of the interstate right by your ear as you doze off to sleep, that is IF you sleep. What with the gun under your pillow for protection from your "neighbors".

Sign me up!!!:tongue_smilie:;)

The town my in-laws live in do this as policy. Mainly truckers park their rigs in the WalMart parking lot at night. And it is always the same area of the parking lot. There is not a truck stop in town and the rigs are too big for the local RV park. On occasion, we see a lone RV sitting in the Trucker "zone" at WalMart and laugh that they are too cheap to pay for the RV Park next door. :D

The same mentioned RV park has nice wide pull outs with electricity, water, and a lovely swimming pool. I think they must have very little funds if an RV'er parks in WalMart.

Dh has traveled in a bus for years with his job and they usually do stay at a Wal-Mart overnight where allowed. One of their reasons is the convenience of purchasing food and supplies in the morning before heading out, but mainly because it's a relatively safe location to park for the night with the security cameras everywhere. Having experienced attempted robberies at knifepoint multiple times over years, they know those big, shiny buses are targets for thieves.