Menu

The last part was awful! The theme seemed to be nightmares - the children's then the parent's with the house party. It was just weird. No Shakespeare?mno Austin? No downton even.. Why did they not go with the romantic side of England? The kid singing at the start was amazing - reminded me of the girl who sang int 1996 Atlanta Olympics "the power of the dream" can not go wrong with kids' choirs.

Let the games begin - please!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. They will be has -beens soon. Nobody will care.

We got Jazz. Wynton Marsalis -- this is our music.

And maybe Barbra Streisand will need to get her act together if she has an Olympic shot. Everyone love Barbara. She's 70. She needs to hang on.

Billy Joel.

The Boss.

Wynton Marsalis would be good. Maybe reunite the Marsalis brothers. Barbra would be good. Maybe the Eagles. Just not the Boss.

It wasn't a house party, It was a celebration on the National Health Service (NHS) and the famous London Children's Hospital (GOSH)...There were bits about Shakespeare too. It was quintessentially British and perhaps the reason why the world didn't get it.

It was celebration of what has made GB, GB. It was about the Industrial Revolution when GB was at its peak right into the history of the 1950, 1960 and today. It was a celebration of some of the greatest things British like the invention of the World Wide Web, the film, music industry and the diversity of modern day Britain etc. Not surprisingly I am sure it doesn't make sense to most people if they don't understand about GB history but I suppose that's what they were trying to highlight.

It was celebration of what has made GB, GB. It was about the Industrial Revolution when GB was at its peak right into the history of the 1950, 1960 and today. It was a celebration of some of the greatest things British like the invention of the World Wide Web, the film, music industry and the diversity of modern day Britain etc. Not surprisingly I am sure it doesn't make sense to most people if they don't understand about GB history but I suppose that's what they were trying to highlight.

I do understand the history, and I got all the references. I lived in the UK for 10 years, my DH & DS are British citizens, and my inlaws live in the UK.

I still think it's the worst. opening. ceremony. EVER. :ack2:

Jackie

I'm not getting it at all. I appreciate the 80s music, but I don't find it appropriate for the venue.

Bizarre.

And why in the world is Ryan Seacrest interviewing Michael Phelps? I hardly think of Ryan as a credible news person. (He could be interviewing some of those 80s rockers though.)

lol.

Edited by LibraryLover

I have to say, I was really excited to watch this with the kids ...... but we were so disappointed :confused1:. I loved the intro with the views of England, the childrens choir and the pastoral scene, but it lost me after that. I wonder how it looked to people in the crowd? There were so many bodies milling about on the stage, I wonder if you could make heads or tails of it from the stands.

Hubby is English, can't wait to get his take on it.

Meredith

We're enjoying it! Bejing seemed very big and flashy and Chinese. This seemed a little more eccentric, understated, and British to me. :001_smile:

Is it weird that my kids don't know who Mr. Bean is but yelled "BLACK ADDER!", when Rowan Atkinson popped up? Love him. :D

Beijing was a show to the world with aesthetic "perfection" . - it was China showing off how amazing they are and can be and they do have the resources to do that... - which was great and incredible...

London, was a show for the UK, a bit messy in parts - it was a celebration of the people, talent and uniqueness that is Britain - which was great and incredible...

They both set out with two very different goals.. - I enjoyed both, but felt the London one moved me more (as im British..) - but I can see how for other people from other countries, alot may have been lost...

:001_unsure: We forgot it was on, so turned it on late - just in time for the 70's music, which quickly morphed into ghastly 80's ensembles and scary rockers and then... kissing! Kissing everywhere! :blink:

So we turned it off, sorely disappointed that even the Olympics couldn't be family friendly!

But now that I've seen these comments we'll have to youtube it and watch the beginning.

Beijing was a show to the world with aesthetic "perfection" . - it was China showing off how amazing they are and can be and they do have the resources to do that... - which was great and incredible...

London, was a show for the UK, a bit messy in parts - it was a celebration of the people, talent and uniqueness that is Britain - which was great and incredible...

They both set out with two very different goals.. - I enjoyed both, but felt the London one moved me more (as im British..) - but I can see how for other people from other countries, alot may have been lost...

I agree with all of the above, but especially the bolded ~ except I'm not British.

This band is doing a great job singing "Come Together".
:iagree:

It would have been better if Costas and Lauer hadn't talked all through it :glare:

Now I'm just confused----why are they having a band do a cover of a Beatles song when Sir Paul is in the building? I know they'd need to fill in some of the parts with other people, but this (and the flying bike) is just bizarre,

The bike was supposed to be a Dove- Bird of Peace.

It reminded me of ET. hehehe

I find all opening ceremonies to be a tad bit boring. I watched for the first hour and a half (on regular network television, not live) and then sat down to do some other stuff.

I enjoy the actual events much more. :) I usually just sit down and watch a little of the opening ceremonies, in particular, so I have a vague idea of what all the fuss is about.

That cauldron is very cool! Much better than the Atlanta one, which looks like a McDonald's french fry container.

:iagree: It was! :) I love the fireworks and you can never go wrong with Pink Floyd. ;) The runner in the stadium lights was cool too. :)

I have LOVED this one! The first hour especially. So much better than the last two opening ceremonies!

I think the first hour had a Cirque du Soliel feel to it, and the costumes captured the essence of the turn of the century time period beautifully. Well done!

Edited by Cindy in the NH Woods
I missed the ending, however.