Menu

I saw this on Facebook and then saw how the comments are going viral. I think it is so refreshing to see a company boldly stand behind something that is going to most definitely cause them problems. How many companies can say that they made such a moral choice over profits?

We are going to have to up our Chick-fil-a intake to show our support, because I am sure there is going to be boycotting and backlash.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I really and truly do not mean this in any argumentative way but I completely agree but from a different direction. I'm so proud of JCPenney and Target and so many other companies making a moral stand on what they believe. It took me several days of thinking whether or not I think companies need to get involved and make some public statement at all. Then I thought about the fact that so many of the public are almost demanding it of companies now that a statement is almost unavoidable.

Even though you and I support different companies and opinions on it I do agree with your sentiments 100%. It's got to be a little scary to do it knowing that there is a good chance the backlash could potentially cause a lot of trouble.

:) Meant with all sincerity :)

They can have whatever opinion they want but I will definitely not be setting a foot in their establishment.

ETA: to call this a moral choice is subjective.

Yep.

We already didn't eat there for a variety of reasons. I mean, it's not like they have a lot of vegan options, anyway. But we all vowed not to purchase anything there when they popped up on the Human Rights Campaign's naughty list.

I'm glad to see other folks posting on Facebook and talking in person about their nasty policies.

I think it is so refreshing to see a company boldly stand behind something that is going to most definitely cause them problems.

I don't think boldly standing behind something that causes problems is necessarily good or bad. Just being controversial isn't a virtue.

Anyway I wish restaurant owners would direct their religious views to things that more directly affect the topic at hand, like quality food, good work environment, benefits for workers, good pay for farm workers, and humane treatment of those chickens. Or nutritional content of said food.

They can have whatever opinion they want but I will definitely not be setting a foot in their establishment.

ETA: to call this a moral choice is subjective.

:iagree: This is good to know the week before we take a road trip, which is the only time we ever might partake in fast food. Won't be patronizing them ever again.

This thread may be short lived. Get out the kilts please. :D

I really and truly do not mean this in any argumentative way but I completely agree but from a different direction. I'm so proud of JCPenney and Target and so many other companies making a moral stand on what they believe. It took me several days of thinking whether or not I think companies need to get involved and make some public statement at all. Then I thought about the fact that so many of the public are almost demanding it of companies now that a statement is almost unavoidable.

Even though you and I support different companies and opinions on it I do agree with your sentiments 100%. It's got to be a little scary to do it knowing that there is a good chance the backlash could potentially cause a lot of trouble.

What a positive opposing post! Thanks for being kind with your opposite response :) Our sentiments are comig from the same place in being impressed with businesses becoming involved in something that it is MUCH easier to stay out of as you can see by all the responses to my post.

I will boycott businesses like Chick-fil-a that promote bigotry.

I don't think it is the "moral" choice, but the opposite. Immoral hate-mongering and bigotry.

Bill

:iagree: I feel the same way about Domino's and several others food establishments who practice similar hate-mongering and bigotry.

I don't think it is the "moral" choice, but the opposite. Immoral hate-mongering and bigotry.

Bill

:iagree: I feel the same way about Domino's and several others food establishments who practice similar hate-mongering and bigotry.

:iagree: and I will miss the tasty badness that is Chick-fil-a and their lovely indoor playground and restaurant workers refilling my drink when I am inside one and bringing my food to my table. Oh well at least I didn't eat there that often, but I did enjoy their lemonade.

Sigh.

I really would like to buy a chicken sandwich without it delving into my beliefs regarding civil rights.

And while we're at it, the movie stars can keep their flapping lips shut about politics. Their opinion isn't one ounce more important than mine.

This is a great post, PITB, and would that others could learn to be more gracious like this in their opposite opinion. Many of the posts I see in reply here are just as harsh/unloving and of subjective morality as Chick-fil-A is perceived by them to be.

Love Chick-fil-a. I'm proud that they are willing to stand on this. I'm also thankful for the millions of those who agree with them who will frequent their establisment more in order to show support!! :001_smile:

:iagree:

Bill

:iagree:

While I support their right to fund the programs they believe in, I think I will exercise my right not to give them my tiny amount of business. :001_smile:

I wish we had one here in town so I could make a point of NOT eating there.

Oh, well. At least we have a JCP for me to shop at regularly. I have the satisfaction of knowing that when history looks back, I'll be able to say I was on the right side of things, AND I get to show my support by buying purses instead of crappy sandwiches. Win-win for me.

I like to know where businesses stand on these issues. I try not to frequent businesses that give large donations to political things I am opposed to or are anti Christian. And I have no problem frequenting places that are viewed as not politically correct. I may not agree with certain things but I am in favor of free speech across the board. I view this as giving me options and would rather know. Those who disagree can express their view by not eating there. But

We like ChickFilA and like that they stand for some of the same things our family believes in.

Just my 2 cents:)

Paula

Chick Fil A took a stand when they did not open on Sundays and they are going strong. This just makes me support them more.

Not being open on Sunday is a good moral stand. It's saying "we believe a person shouldn't work on Sunday, and we won't make any of our employees do so either." It follows the spirit, as well as the letter, of the law. That's putting your money where your mouth is.

Saying you're anti-gay and donating to anti-gay organizations? That's not moral, that doesn't help anyone; all that does is try to push religious belief for the sake of religion. It's hateful, not helpful.

This is a great post, PITB, and would that others could learn to be more gracious like this in their opposite opinion. Many of the posts I see in reply here are just as harsh/unloving and of subjective morality as Chick-fil-A is perceived by them to be.

:iagree:Absolutely!!!! It's really funny when you step back and watch.

Bill

We don't have that company here but I do boycott companies that have behaved similarly.

Not being open on Sunday is a good moral stand. It's saying "we believe a person shouldn't work on Sunday, and we won't make any of our employees do so either." It follows the spirit, as well as the letter, of the law. That's putting your money where your mouth is.

Saying you're anti-gay and donating to anti-gay organizations? That's not moral, that doesn't help anyone; all that does is try to push religious belief for the sake of religion. It's hateful, not helpful.

Nope! It's saying "I agree with what God says about the topic." It has nothing at all to do with hate.

And while we're at it, the movie stars can keep their flapping lips shut about politics. Their opinion isn't one ounce more important than mine.

:iagree: I think I will make of list of 50 things that irritate me and list "performers speaking about politics" as number 37.

We don't have that fast food place here. I've seen them in our travels, but never eaten in one, as we try to not do chains.

Now that I know this, I'll buy gas station food on my travels before I step foot into such a place.

One of my fav places is a deli that is not open from 12 noon Fri until 8am Sunday,

Since some of their waitstaff are gay, I can see the difference between religion and bigotry.

Good luck to Franken Chicken.

Edited by LibraryLover

I don't understand why folks are up in arms over a 91-year old man's point of view. I've never heard of Chic-fil-a discriminating against any of their workers or refuse to sell a burger to anyone based on anything personal. Mr. Cathy was asked his opinion and he gave it. Good grief, isn't that allowed anymore?

I don't know why not supporting the homosexual community is considered hateful. I believe it's wrong, I would never support it in any way, and yet I have very good friends that are homosexual and we are both ok with the other seeing the world differently. I don't hate them, I just simply do not agree with them.

Nope! It's saying "I agree with what God says about the topic." It has nothing at all to do with hate.

In that case, I expect to see the company follow up their anti-gay announcement with further announcements that their employees will no longer be allowed to eat shrimp at work, and that they will ensure their uniforms contain no mixed fibers.

You think donating to anti-gay organizations is just saying you agree? It's not furthering their efforts at all? Because the Chik-Fil-A upset is not about what was SAID, so much as it is about what they DO with the money they make.

I don't know why not supporting the homosexual community is considered hateful. I believe it's wrong, I would never support it in any way, and yet I have very good friends that are homosexual and we are both ok with the other seeing the world differently. I don't hate them, I just simply do not agree with them.

It's not about not supporting the homosexual community. It's about actively supporting the ANTI-homosexual community.

I don't understand why folks are up in arms over a 91-year old man's point of view. I've never heard of Chic-fil-a discriminating against any of their workers or refuse to sell a burger to anyone based on anything personal. Mr. Cathy was asked his opinion and he gave it. Good grief, isn't that allowed anymore?

Because, as I understand it, he wasn't giving his personal opinion, he was stating the company's official position on the matter.

You think donating to anti-gay organizations is just saying you agree? It's not furthering their efforts at all? Because the Chik-Fil-A upset is not about what was SAID, so much as it is about what they DO with the money they make.

:iagree: that is the point with the boycotts happening here too.

In that case, I expect to see the company follow up their anti-gay announcement with further announcements that their employees will no longer be allowed to eat shrimp at work, and that they will ensure their uniforms contain no mixed fibers.

If they ever started doing that I would be eating there every chance I got.

What does God say about it?

Cathy’s remarks earlier this week to a Baptist website, in which he affirmed the Atlanta-based company’s belief in “the biblical definition of the family unit,†went viral Wednesday.

But I know what you're thinking: What about this “Biblical definition of the family unit†Cathy and his chicken-hawkers believe in? Those who actually read the Bible – not to be confused with those who merely enjoy thumping it – will find that the Good Book never defines the family unit. Not in the Old Testament, not in the New. Nowhere. On what constitutes a family unit the Bible is curiously mum. So what kind of families does Dan Cathy believe are Chick-fil-A families?

The Bible is brimming with stories of faithful families from which we may draw our own conclusions. From Genesis to Revelations, the Bible abounds with instructive examples of the family unit. God-fearing, God-approved family units. Chick-fil-A-approved family units.

There's the family of Moses, for one. Moses had two wives. One was a Ku****e, the other his cousin, Zipporah. Moses' relatives objected -- to the lady from Kush. Lamech, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob -- all those Biblical patriarchs had two wives. God was cool with that; how about you, Dan?

Abraham had solid family values. In fact, he valued family so much he married his half-sister, Sarah. This made Abraham and Sarah's children their nieces and nephews, too. Those kids were their own cousins. Confused? Somehow God managed to keep it all straight.

Abraham’s brother Nahor, was likewise a “family†man. Nahor married his niece Milcah; Milcah’s offspring were not just her children but her first cousins. Family reunions are a lot easier to put together when everyone is already living in the same tent.

The Bible tells us that mighty King David enjoyed a large family, complete with multiple wives and concubines. Yes, concubines. God apparently kept an open mind.

David's son Solomon went for sheer volume. The Bible tells us he had 700 wives and 300 concubines. Family units like that can put away a lot of chicken sandwiches, huh, Mr. Cathy?

Then, of course, there was the Jewish carpenter who married an adolescent girl already pregnant with someone else’s child.

Family units all, each with God’s blessing.

Glad we've cleared that up.

It's not about not supporting the homosexual community. It's about actively supporting the ANTI-homosexual community.

So you either have to support them, or say absolutely nothing? You are never allowed an opposing view? That seems rather one sided and hateful.

NOPE, not when it is not the "popular" opinion ;)