Menu

My favorite solution to all of this is to separate the religion part of marriage from the legal, contract part. Aren't there countries in which the actual legal part is handled separately from any religious ceremony? I'd like that, please.

Actually, it is my understanding that this is still the norm for the Orthodox church. I am a little sketchy on the details, but I thought I read something about this.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite solution to all of this is to separate the religion part of marriage from the legal, contract part. Aren't there countries in which the actual legal part is handled separately from any religious ceremony? I'd like that, please.

And I couldn't care less if the legal contract thing is called a "civil union," because it would be one . . . for everyone.

Then, those who wanted to also be married in the eyes of their church could do that, too.

Then my church, which has been offering union and marriage ceremonies for many years, could go right on performing them and any other churches that want to reserve that for man-woman couples are welcome to not perform them. Equal playing ground for everyone, respect for every human being.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

They'll count as soon as Christians also start pouring their money into banning the shellfish industry and men's razors.

We can NOt ban men's razors they work better than women's for a close shave without slicing my legs up.

Since most of the above is just me being a little sarcastic I think I should state this. To the best of my ability I follow the OT with the understanding that God didn't make us to have to follow the law or be condemned, that's what grace is for and that's what Jesus came for. The law shows us the heart of God though and what he desires for us. If I stumble with it though, He doesn't love me any less. If someone struggles with gluttony, he doesn't love them any less, if someone struggles (yes I'll be bashed for using that word here) with homosexuality, He doesn't love them any less. That doesn't mean that I am supposed to say it's ok, but just because someone has something that I call sin in their life doesn't give me the right to bash them. I don't agree with them, and I can't support them, and I by my belief system would have to support something that others would see as opposing them, but that doesn't mean I hate them.

Wow I need to review my grammar and writing. My poor kids don't have a hope if they learn their grammar from me.

You're certainly entitled to believe what you choose to. However, that doesn't translate into Christianity as a whole getting to legislate their theology for everyone.

Though I have to say, I see people who are supposedly open minded hating Christians a whole heck of a lot. I guess open mindedness doesn't extend to them. :001_huh: It's frustrating. People literally hate us - at least that's how it seems.

I don't care what someone thinks of gay marriage or gay rights or whatever. Everyone thinks what they think. Who cares?

1. Where are people saying they hate Christians on this thread?

2. There's been several pages of people posting why they would not support a company that gives $ to groups that actively seek to deny people their civil rights.

Have either of you read 1 Corinthians in the original Greek? Paul made up a word in that particular passage. The word is "arsenokoitai." Coincidentally, it happens to be the word that is translated as "homosexual" and about 20 other things in various versions of the Bible. It is equally likely that Paul was referring to those who were r*ping young boys.

It is curious to me that a man can make up a word, and people thousands of years later can be so sure of what he meant that they are willing to condemn an entire group of society, who, again, don't even subscribe to the same beliefs.

This is my understanding: "Paul used the Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Old Testament. The Greek translation of the Leviticus passages condemns a man (arseno) lying with (koitai) another man (arseno). Paul joins these two words together into a neologism, a new word, and thus he condemns in 1 Corinthians and 1 Timothy what was condemned in Leviticus."

If it was about rap*ng young boys the word would have been paiderastia.

Meaning: Paidos- child, boy

Erastes/Erastai - love/lover

This is my understanding: "Paul used the Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Old Testament. The Greek translation of the Leviticus passages condemns a man (arseno) lying with (koitai) another man (arseno). Paul joins these two words together into a neologism, a new word, and thus he condemns in 1 Corinthians and 1 Timothy what was condemned in Leviticus."

If it was about rap*ng young boys the word would have been paiderastia.

Meaning: Paidos- child, boy

Erastes/Erastai - love/lover

I am so confused. Why would a Jewish guy be using a Greek translation of a Jewish book that would've originally been written in Hebrew?

Why bother with legal marriage at all? I've never been married and I don't see what's so great about it. You can call it a "civil right," but what important things really turn on it?

Well, being covered on your spouse's health insurance policy, for one. Tax breaks for another.

Sigh. :glare:

I like Chick-fil-a. I won't stop eating there. No one should be surprised by the guy's take on things - it's well known that he's a pretty fundamentalist Christian, they don't open on Sundays, etc. :rolleyes:

Though I have to say, I see people who are supposedly open minded hating Christians a whole heck of a lot. I guess open mindedness doesn't extend to them. :001_huh: It's frustrating. People literally hate us - at least that's how it seems.

I don't care what someone thinks of gay marriage or gay rights or whatever. Everyone thinks what they think. Who cares?

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Why bother with legal marriage at all? I've never been married and I don't see what's so great about it. You can call it a "civil right," but what important things really turn on it?

Benefits, being able to see your SO at the hospital, being able to make decisions for a SO in the hospital, etc...

Yes!! I finally found a cause I can support! :D Not that I personally pour my money into any of these types of issues, and I don't really care where everyone else pours there money. But I can say, that since I don't eat shellfish and there's a lot of beards around here, that by your standards I'm allowed to count the OT verses on homosexuality.

Since most of the above is just me being a little sarcastic I think I should state this. To the best of my ability I follow the OT with the understanding that God didn't make us to have to follow the law or be condemned, that's what grace is for and that's what Jesus came for. The law shows us the heart of God though and what he desires for us. If I stumble with it though, He doesn't love me any less. If someone struggles with gluttony, he doesn't love them any less, if someone struggles (yes I'll be bashed for using that word here) with homosexuality, He doesn't love them any less. That doesn't mean that I am supposed to say it's ok, but just because someone has something that I call sin in their life doesn't give me the right to bash them. I don't agree with them, and I can't support them, and I by my belief system would have to support something that others would see as opposing them, but that doesn't mean I hate them.

Wow I need to review my grammar and writing. My poor kids don't have a hope if they learn their grammar from me.

You did an excellent job of articulating your thoughts! I whole heartedly agree with you!!!

It always comes back to hate, and yes there are people that are filled with hate but who can tell me any position that does not have supporters that go to extremes. That certainly does not mean that the opposing view of what you believe means people are hating...I just don't get that :confused:

We can NOt ban men's razors they work better than women's for a close shave without slicing my legs up.

In that case, we'll make them legal, but call them something else, like "gender-neutral hair removal devices for everyone." That way, everyone can have a razor, but you won't actually be able to call it a razor unless your church gives it to you.

;)

Married people are less likely to end up on welfare for one.

2. There's been several pages of people posting why they would not support a company that gives $ to groups that actively seek to deny people their civil rights.

I always find those statements particularly confusing as I am a Christian and I am one of those arguing in favor of gay marriage. I don't believe I am the only one either.

Spyer died in 2009 after a long battle with multiple sclerosis, leaving her property to Windsor. Because the marriage was not recognized under federal law, Windsor had to pay more than $363,000 in federal estate taxes, according to the suit.

Six states have legalized same-sex marriage since DOMA went into effect, including New York in 2011. But federal law and programs do not recognize those marriages because of DOMA.

Windsor's attorneys argue that the federal law violates the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution which prohibits states from denying people equal protection under the laws.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/16/us-usa-courts-gaymarriage-idUSBRE86F1BA20120716

Have either of you read 1 Corinthians in the original Greek? Paul made up a word in that particular passage. The word is "arsenokoitai." Coincidentally, it happens to be the word that is translated as "homosexual" and about 20 other things in various versions of the Bible. It is equally likely that Paul was referring to those who were r*ping young boys.

It is curious to me that a man can make up a word, and people thousands of years later can be so sure of what he meant that they are willing to condemn an entire group of society, who, again, don't even subscribe to the same beliefs.

So THAT's why we call it an arse. cool I know a greek root! :tongue_smilie:I am writing that word down to use as an insult. Not because it means homosexual just because coitus in the arse (which is what that words looks like in you break it down and reverse it) sounds funny in a big greek word :D

I hope I don't fall into this category?

I absolutely do not "hate" Christians. In fact, I don't think I actually hate anyone. But I have friends of different faiths and no faiths. My son sings with a choir based at a Christian church and has friends there. My daughter takes voice lessons with a lovely woman of a different Christian faith, and we adore her.

I guess I can hate the bigotry but still love the person. Isn't that supposed to be a good thing in the Christian belief system?

Yeah, because Ellen is so very dangerous. lol

They're boycotting over Ellen? Do they interview or question every person involved in the fashion industry, marketing, franchising, clerks, models, or other people used in advertising? Ellen wasn't hired to make a "gay statement", but because she's got a kicking sense of humour and comedic timing (kinda like hiring Robin Williams). Do we ask straight actors if they are shacking up, have commited adultery, etc?

Okay, CF made a statement and choose to put their money somewhere. So do other companies. Have a problem with it, don't support it. Support it, well then support it.

I'm sorry, I've gotten to the point that I'd rather just have the government out of it altogether. Marriage was not always associated with government. It was associated with culture and religion. Each of our faiths (or non-adherence to any) have their own rules on it. If registering is needed for legal protections (being able to speak for another, inheritance, providing for children, etc), then fine, get it, for anyone. I remembering being told that homosexual marriage would affect traditional marriage. It doesn't. It does not affect us at all. I cannot force someone to believe as I do...nor can they force me to not believe as I do. The ONLY fear I can see with those that think it does affect traditional marriage, is that they fear their ministers will be forced to perform weddings that they cannot in good conscience agree with. That though would fall under the state staying out of religion. (I would like to see the government stay out of both religion and marriage)

*signed, more concerned about the greatest of the commandments than US legislation...and sick of politics*

Edited by mommaduck

I always find those statements particularly confusing as I am a Christian and I am one of those arguing in favor of gay marriage. I don't believe I am the only one either.

I am also a Christian and in favor of gay marriage.

I don't hate anybody. I do find several people rather annoying but hate is a really strong word.

In that case, we'll make them legal, but call them something else, like "gender-neutral hair removal devices for everyone." That way, everyone can have a razor, but you won't actually be able to call it a razor unless your church gives it to you.

;)

cool a PC term for razors...who knew?

Well, being covered on your spouse's health insurance policy, for one. Tax breaks for another.

But they are getting rid of the differences there. At least in some states (mine included, and we're not very liberal here), you can put your domestic partner on your health insurance without any legal paper. And the marriage tax benefit isn't what it used to be. I think it should be removed if it hasn't already been.

As a single mom, I think it stinks that married people (and domestic partners) get off so much cheaper on insurance.

So THAT's why we call it an arse. cool I know a greek root! :tongue_smilie:I am writing that word down to use as an insult. Not because it means homosexual just because coitus in the arse (which is what that words looks like in you break it down and reverse it) sounds funny in a big greek word :D

Great. :glare: Now they will be sure to lock and delete the thread. All because Swellmomma likes the sound of her arse.

:tongue_smilie:

:auto:

Exactly. My mother has been a Chrisitian her entire life and when she lived in MA she was a justice of the peace and frequently married gay couples in my childhood living room.

;)

:lol::lol:

I have seen Christian groups get thier knickers in a twist and then boycott a company or companies too many times to count. I do not care if they boycot. I do not care if they hold hands and sing kumbaya. I would prefer the members of my family and local homeschool group quit sending me e-mail crap related to the issue if the month, but the delete feature is a modern marvel.

It really is something. I have some friends who are really into some of the, um... extreme groups when it comes to certain issues. (Nothing to do with the current topic.) While I don't necessarily disagree with some of the stuff they say, they want to do things like boycott EVERY STORE in town because they can trace almost everyone to 'donating funds to ____' (insert any organization which they feel is the opposite of their cause). I'm like :001_huh: because seriously?! Where the heck am I supposed to go if I can't buy groceries at any of the stores in town?! :lol: So I totally just find myself rolling my eyes at the constant 'boycotting' of all these places.

1. They aren't. But there IS a whole lot of 'Christians do ____' (insert anything negative about Christians that any Christian ever has done, even if it's just been wackos from Westboro ;) ) and negative comments about Christianity. It comes across incredibly hateful and negative. :( Especially since that isn't necessarily the case. (Like, Christians don't all believe the same thing, kwim?)

2. See what I said above. Seriously. People are boycott happy. I really just don't care to get into the politics of every last business. Is part of it laziness on my part? Most likely. But I don't feel any guilt about that. Sorry.

Edited by PeacefulChaos

No why would I have a problem with them boycotting JC Penneys. I have no issues when certain Baptist denominations boycotted Disney World either. It is their right to patronize whoever follows their values, just like it is my right to do the same.

It was a number of Evangelical groups, not just Baptist. I'm not offended, but I feel the need to defend my church since we ARE Baptist and we don't support boycotts of ANY type. :001_smile:

:iagree:

Maybe we should just ban them for shaving chickens?

It was a number of Evangelical groups, not just Baptist. I'm not offended, but I feel the need to defend my church since we ARE Baptist and we don't support boycotts of ANY type. :001_smile:

??

What? What do you mean Baptists don't support boycotts?

I am curious not argumentative.

Hey now. I don't stick my nose into everyone else's hobbies. Don't tell me what to do with my poultry in the privacy of my own home.

Edited by Mergath

No why would I have a problem with them boycotting JC Penneys. I have no issues when certain Baptist denominations boycotted Disney World either. It is their right to patronize whoever follows their values, just like it is my right to do the same.

I don't think all Baptist do that. I go to a lovely Baptist church and no one in there is boycotting anything last I checked, except maybe one or two of the emotionally unstable people in the church:tongue_smilie:.

Sounds like a plan

Oh THERE YOU GO AGAIN!!!

Geez. You are a troublemaker. Here we are, getting along peacefully, and you come along stirring things up.....

:lol::lol::lol:

Can't help it. SOmetimes the board makes it just too easy

??

What? What do you mean Baptists don't support boycotts?

I am curious not argumentative.

Only if it is for Satanic shrimp shack but they lobby in favor of Baptist Beer ;)

Oh, I know I should go to bed, (I have to be at church early tomorrow), but I am afraid I will come back in the morning and find this thread vanished along with all hope of finding out more about chicken shaving for fun and recreation.

To hear my Mamaw tell it, Baptist INVENTED boycotts! :D

Hey now. I don't stick my nose into other everyone else's hobbies. Don't tell me what to do with my poultry in the privacy of my own home.

:lol::lol::lol:

Hey now. I don't stick my nose into other everyone else's hobbies. Don't tell me what to do with my poultry in the privacy of my own home.

Freak :glare:

We should have a public stoning on the hive...or a public getting stoned on the hive....which ever works to settle the crowd

Companies aren't people, why would they get Civil rights!?!?

Constitutional rights, then. :) (It's late; I said the wrong word.)

Should the mayor be legally allowed to block them from coming to the city just because he disagrees with the political/religious stance of the founder of the company?

That is why I said certain Baptist groups, since I knew it wasn't all of them. I could remember about other Evangelical groups. I wasn't trying to say all Baptists supported the boycott though, or even all Baptist denominations :).

Oh and this thread so reminds me of the following comic:

http://xkcd.com/386/

probably because it is 1am and I should be asleep.

That is why I said certain Baptist groups, since I knew it wasn't all of them. I could remember about other Evangelical groups. I wasn't trying to say all Baptists supported the boycott though, or even all Baptist denominations :).

Oh and this thread so reminds me of the following comic:

http://xkcd.com/386/

probably because it is 1am and I should be asleep.

:lol: That is hysterical. :lol: :lol: