Menu

I don't understand why folks are up in arms over a 91-year old man's point of view. I've never heard of Chic-fil-a discriminating against any of their workers or refuse to sell a burger to anyone based on anything personal. Mr. Cathy was asked his opinion and he gave it. Good grief, isn't that allowed anymore?

Their company has donated millions to anti-gay marriage groups. It's not just one sweet old man's opinions. If you put your money into a company like this, this is what you're financing. I think it's just good to understand that when you walk through the door. Absolutely, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

This is a push button issue for me. It affects many families we know and love, including some homeschoolers.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Their company has donated millions to anti-gay marriage groups. It's not just one sweet old man's opinions. If you put your money into a company like this, this is what you're financing. I think it's just good to understand that when you walk through the door. Absolutely, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

This is a push button issue for me. It affects many families we know and love, including some homeschoolers.

I have never been in one of these fast-food places in my area. I've seen them on the road, but not sure what part of the country. I travel to FL by car lots, although I have driven other places as well.

Edited by LibraryLover

So you either have to support them, or say absolutely nothing? You are never allowed an opposing view? That seems rather one sided and hateful.

Did you read what I wrote? "It's not about not supporting the homosexual community. It's about actively supporting the ANTI-homosexual community." It's not really the opinion that matters in this case. It's what is being done with the active support, the MONEY made by the business.

If you say "I don't believe in aliens" and then you give money to groups actively trying to shut down alien-finders, what do you think the alien finders and people who support them will think? It is one thing to have an opinion that may or may not hurt people, it's another thing entirely to WORK for something that hurts other people.

Nope! It's saying "I agree with what God says about the topic." It has nothing at all to do with hate.

One would think that as much emphasis as conservative Christians put on this issue that Jesus must have been quite clear about what a heinous sin homosexuality is. Could you please cite which passages in the New Testament have him addressing homosexuality? Thanks!

I do wonder, though, what God has to do with selling chicken?

And, I hate to say this, but lots of other people seem to be getting different messages from God on this topic.

It's really not that confusing. He's quite clear on it in His Word.

I don't think God has anything to do with selling chicken. I don't think gay rights has anything to do with selling doorknobs and sheetrock either, but apparently Home Depot does and have decided to take a stand on the matter. It goes both ways. :D

I've been boycotting Chick-Fil-A for this very reason for awhile now. And I loved Chick-fil-a. DD and I ate there often.

The thing that upset me the most was the fact that Chick-Fil-A donates money to anti-gay organizations and other organizations with a history of hate. Organizations who have a purpose of "curing" homos*xuality. Praying the gay away and therapy just flat out don't work, and in fact have been shown to increase suicide at an alarming rate. I can't, in good conscious, spend my money at a company who is going to pass it along to organizations like that.

Quite wonderfully, the trickle down effect works, and I've encouraged a number of other people to boycott also. It may be small in the scheme of things, but it makes me feel better. :D

I don't know why not supporting the homosexual community is considered hateful. I believe it's wrong, I would never support it in any way, and yet I have very good friends that are homosexual and we are both ok with the other seeing the world differently. I don't hate them, I just simply do not agree with them.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

As some else mentioned people get hateful and angry and all up in arms pushing same sex marriage in these threads because no one should ever have a differing personal/religious belief, but those anti same sex marriage supporters are the hate mongers ??? Always leaves me wondering about some serious double standards.

I don't understand why folks are up in arms over a 91-year old man's point of view. I've never heard of Chic-fil-a discriminating against any of their workers or refuse to sell a burger to anyone based on anything personal. Mr. Cathy was asked his opinion and he gave it. Good grief, isn't that allowed anymore?

Actually, Chick-Fil-A has a terrible reputation on LGBT issues and has for a long time. The Human Rights Campaign consistently gives them zeros on all of their evaluation points, including:

- having a non-discrimination policy that includes sexual orientation

- providing diversity training to employees

- allowing any kind of LGBT employee resource group, even if employees asked for one

And of course business owners are allowed to express their personal beliefs. It's kind of a fundamental right in this country. However, they must certainly be prepared for the consequences, just like the rest of us.

The mayor of Boston is vowing to block the restaurant from opening in "his" city, claiming that the restaurant "discriminates" against gay people. Never mind that any gay couple (or any person at all) can walk right in to a Chik-Fil-A, order a meal without any questions being asked, and then carry on with the rest of his day, no challenges, no nothing.

Um, isn't Mayor Menino being a bit . . . "discriminating"?

Head of company doesn't agree with mayor's personal stance on controversial issue = business is then not allowed to open in that city? REALLY?!

Does our Constitution still HAVE a first amendment????

What does God say about it?

I understand your point, but the Bible clearly states homosexuality is a sin. Marriage is a relationship understood to be sexually consummated, therefore by definition two men or two women who are married and consummate their marriage are sinning.

Did you read what I wrote? "It's not about not supporting the homosexual community. It's about actively supporting the ANTI-homosexual community." It's not really the opinion that matters in this case. It's what is being done with the active support, the MONEY made by the business.

If you say "I don't believe in aliens" and then you give money to groups actively trying to shut down alien-finders, what do you think the alien finders and people who support them will think? It is one thing to have an opinion that may or may not hurt people, it's another thing entirely to WORK for something that hurts other people.

But if they had been actively financially supporting the homosexual community they are good. But if they do the opposite they are bad? I could agree with saying that a company shouldn't be financially supporting either, but on here I'm seeing a lot of one sided thinking.

I don't think God has anything to do with selling chicken. I don't think gay rights has anything to do with selling doorknobs and sheetrock either, but apparently Home Depot does and have decided to take a stand on the matter. It goes both ways. :D

Would you be kind enough to point me to those passages?

I respect everyone's choice to support or not support Chick-fil-a. I do not agree with protecting an archaic law and view point that actively discriminates against law abiding citizens.

I feel the same way about Domino's and several others food establishments who practice similar hate-mongering and bigotry.

:iagree: There are quite a few companies I won't buy from because as a consumer I have the ability to 'vote' with my dollars. I wouldn't want my two cents going toward something I don't support, so I don't support X company.

I really and truly do not mean this in any argumentative way but I completely agree but from a different direction. I'm so proud of JCPenney and Target and so many other companies making a moral stand on what they believe. It took me several days of thinking whether or not I think companies need to get involved and make some public statement at all. Then I thought about the fact that so many of the public are almost demanding it of companies now that a statement is almost unavoidable.

Even though you and I support different companies and opinions on it I do agree with your sentiments 100%. It's got to be a little scary to do it knowing that there is a good chance the backlash could potentially cause a lot of trouble.

:) Meant with all sincerity :)

Well said.

One would think that as much emphasis as conservative Christians put on this issue that Jesus must have been quite clear about what a heinous sin homosexuality is. Could you please cite which passages in the New Testament have him addressing homosexuality? Thanks!

Jesus IS God. He and the Father are one. He was very clear about that in the NT that He is the I AM, the same I AM who spoke in the OT. Jesus was there in the beginning. All things were created through Him and for Him and by Him. He is the Word. He is God in the flesh. Anything in the OT were His words as well. I think you have google. Go to biblegateway.com. I bet you can find a way to search out the words. :001_smile:

Yes. And most Christians are quite clear that they are going to pick and choose which of his rules they follow based on which social issues happen to be in vogue and which cultural group they happen to be riled up against.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

As some else mentioned people get hateful and angry and all up in arms pushing same sex marriage in these threads because no one should ever have a differing personal/religious belief, but those anti same sex marriage supporters are the hate mongers ??? Always leaves me wondering about some serious double standards.

Probably has something to do regarding which group is trying to deny basic civil rights to others.

Bad business is what it is. Business and religion should not mix imo. Choosing to be closed a certain day of the week is their perogative as a business. Choosing to tell an entire segment of a population they are wrong is bigotry. Bigotry should never be applauded.

Calling a stand politically correct is an attempt to lessen the importance of that stand. The term PC is dated and I find it very pointless.

I know I am not being PC by saying I think it is morally wrong to deny two adults the right to marry and be a family. And I do think praising a company for their anti homosexual opinions and agenda as moral is extremely subjective. I personally find people who want to shove their own personal agendas down an adult couple's throat by denying them their civil rights to be extremely immoral. Obviously not everyone on this thread but I know what is right in my heart.

Clearly they want a certain audience. I would NEVER want to dine in that company.

Now HERE is the definition of tolerance, ladies and gentlemen.:D

Up until this year, President Obama supported traditional marriage, yet I never heard/read any hate directed towards him from liberals on this board.;)

But if they had been actively financially supporting the homosexual community they are good. But if they do the opposite they are bad? I could agree with saying that a company shouldn't be financially supporting either, but on here I'm seeing a lot of one sided thinking.

Who said someone had to actively support the homosexual community to be good? They could do nothing and no one would care.

It is not one-sided thinking to say that I don't want to support a company that ACTIVELY SUPPORTS things I fundamentally disagree with. It would be one-sided if I demanded that they support things I agree with. But I, and no other person in this thread, has done so.

Would you be kind enough to point me to those passages?

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NIV): "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters, nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

Leviticus 18:22 (KJV): "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind it is abomination."

Leviticus 20:13: "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

Ugh, I consider myself a conservative Christian, but I feel like fighting to keep gays from marrying comes across as unloving. My husband and I disagree on this. He's all about how obedient we need to be to God's Word and how Sodom and Gomorrah will happen all over again if we allow gays to marry. Oh, and he also thinks that it will open the door to pedophiles marrying children and that people will be allowed to marry their animals, and yada yada yada. My opinion is that they're going to live like they're married anyway, why not just let them get married. Not everyone is Christian, so why force them to obey the Christian law? And DH and I keep going in circles b/c he feels like our country is a Christian country, so we should uphold the Christian law. Can I boycott Dh? LOL!

BTW, I won't be boycotting Chick Fil A, but I won't be going out of my way to support them just because of what they support.

Yes. And most Christians are quite clear that they are going to pick and choose which of his rules they follow based on which social issues happen to be in vogue and which cultural group they happen to be riled up against.

:iagree: But then, I think that everyone practices a little hypocrisy no matter what they say they believe.

Bad business is what it is. Business and religion should not mix imo. Choosing to be closed a certain day of the week is their perogative as a business. Choosing to tell an entire segment of a population they are wrong is bigotry. Bigotry should never be applauded.

I agree that this shouldn't be something that a business should be involved in.

If those of us with a conscience were tolerant of bigotry, fundamentalist Christians would still be denying marriage to interracial couples along with gays. It's not about tolerance, but about standing up to hate.

Jesus IS God. He and the Father are one. He was very clear about that in the NT that He is the I AM, the same I AM who spoke in the OT. Jesus was there in the beginning. All things were created through Him and for Him and by Him. He is the Word. He is God in the flesh. Anything in the OT were His words as well. I think you have google. Go to biblegateway.com. I bet you can find a way to search out the words. :001_smile:

Lol. Even more of a non answer than I expected. You out did yourself.

So, have you given up shellfish? The mixing of fibers? Do you eat pork? I am betting you (like most Christians) don't follow most OT laws, so why do you pick and choose?

Hint: I know the reason as a Christian I don't, but we know if you give that explanation you just torpedoed your argument above.

As a member of American society he is free to hold any opinion he likes and direct profits from his company through any legal venue he chooses. By the same token, all the other members of this American society are free to disagree with his opinion and choose from another of the many food options in thier area. It cuts both ways.

Do some people on this board get angry about issues surrounding gay rights? I think it is fair to say they do. I think it is also worth noting that of all of the times IRL I have heard someone angrily discussing gay rights, only a few times were in favor of them.

Up until this year, President Obama supported traditional marriage, yet I never heard/read any hate directed towards him from liberals on this board.;)

Shhhh!!!! You aren't allowed to call out the hypocrisy! :lol::lol:

I understand your point, but the Bible clearly states homosexuality is a sin. Marriage is a relationship understood to be sexually consummated, therefore by definition two men or two women who are married and consummate their marriage are sinning.

Not to turn this into a biblical debate or anything but....

(1) the Bible doesn't clearly say that homosexuality is a sin. That is part of the reason for the split in Christianity over whether to accept/reject gay marriage. At the very basic, the are questions of translation.

(2) the Bible clearly states that many things are sins, but as a modern culture we've realized that some things have become outdated. The food restrictions, for example, were a matter of health. Nearly everyone I see today is wearing mixed cloth. Most men, even very conservative Christians, shave their beards. These are people that actually subscribe to the belief system which they aren't following, while many GLBT people DON'T consider themselves Christians and are still somehow supposed to follow the rules. :confused::glare:

Not being open on Sunday is a good moral stand. It's saying "we believe a person shouldn't work on Sunday, and we won't make any of our employees do so either." It follows the spirit, as well as the letter, of the law. That's putting your money where your mouth is.

Saying you're anti-gay and donating to anti-gay organizations? That's not moral, that doesn't help anyone; all that does is try to push religious belief for the sake of religion. It's hateful, not helpful.

:iagree: I don't find this activity by chik fil a as particularly Christ-like. Its disappointing.

Not being tolerant to fundamentalist Christians would involve denying them the right to worship as they chose, marry who they want in their churches, etc...

Asking them to not force their agendas on two consenting adults who want basic rights is not intolerant. No one is saying their have to be married in your church or anything.

These are people that actually subscribe to the belief system which they aren't following, while many GLBT people DON'T consider themselves Christians and are still somehow supposed to follow the rules. :confused::glare:

Yup. Complete lunacy. If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

One can support 'traditional' marriage and not be against gays marrying.

Lots of us straight folks rejoice when our gay friends have lovely weddings. A wedding is wedding. Love is love. I have no idea why people give a danm. Even if you do, let God sort it out at the end!

As one of my children said, at age 4, "I'm sure God would not care who a person loved."

Edited by LibraryLover

Lol. Even more of a non answer than I expected. You out did yourself.

So, have you given up shellfish? The mixing of fibers? Do you eat pork? I am betting you (like most Christians) don't follow most OT laws, so why do you pick and choose?

Hint: I know the reason as a Christian I don't, but we know if you give that explanation you just torpedoed your argument above.

No. Thankfully, I am fully aware of the New Covenant. It wasn't a non-answer. It is a fact. He is quite clear in the NT that HE is God and that He is one with God. Sorry, but I think you're the one who is not quite clear. The NT, as well as the OT, are clear on the issue. But you've made your decision. Carry on.

The mayor of Boston is vowing to block the restaurant from opening in "his" city, claiming that the restaurant "discriminates" against gay people. Never mind that any gay couple (or any person at all) can walk right in to a Chik-Fil-A, order a meal without any questions being asked, and then carry on with the rest of his day, no challenges, no nothing.

Um, isn't Mayor Menino being a bit . . . "discriminating"?

Head of company doesn't agree with mayor's personal stance on controversial issue = business is then not allowed to open in that city? REALLY?!

Does our Constitution still HAVE a first amendment????

That one really screams hypocrisy. I would think Mr. Menino would be more concerned about bringing jobs to the Commonwealth instead of practicing the very discrimination he claims to oppose.

Mr. Cathy was being interviewed by the Baptist Press. I would really be shocked if he gave any other answer. They have been in business for 56 years with the reputation of supporting Christian values.

For those who are "boycotting," I supposed you don't have a problem with the "million moms" group boycotting JC Penneys.

Who said someone had to actively support the homosexual community to be good? They could do nothing and no one would care.

It is not one-sided thinking to say that I don't want to support a company that ACTIVELY SUPPORTS things I fundamentally disagree with. It would be one-sided if I demanded that they support things I agree with. But I, and no other person in this thread, has done so.

:iagree: My boycott of Chick-Fil-A is not based on the fact that they don't agree with me. I don't expect anyone person, much less a large company, to agree with me on every social issue.

But it is the active support of HATE GROUPS that bothers me. And let no one misunderstand, because that is exactly what much of the donated money from Chick-Fil-A goes towards.

(1) the Bible doesn't clearly say that homosexuality is a sin.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NIV): "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters, nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

That's pretty dang clear.

Not being tolerant to fundamentalist Christians would involve denying them the right to worship as they chose, marry who they want in their churches, etc...

Asking them to not force their agendas on two consenting adults who want basic rights is not intolerant. No one is saying their have to be married in your church or anything.

And there is the part they don't get. I find it amusing those who proudly proclaim themselves "non-PC" want to restrict the rights of consenting adults because they don't want to be offended.

I think many of them have expressed that he was too moderate.

I said he was too moderate during the election, and I am a moderate.

That's pretty dang clear.

No. You have to understand. Sharpies and scissors help to get that part out of God's Word. It's much more readable and sweet that way!! :lol:

Shhhh!!!! You aren't allowed to call out the hypocrisy! :lol::lol:

Huh? That was one of my least favorite things about him and I talked about it openly. I bet I'm not the only Obama supporter who did and who voted for him even if he wasn't perfect in my eyes.

Do you agree with 100% of the politicians you vote for on every single issue?

Leviticus 18:22 (KJV): "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind it is abomination."

Leviticus 20:13: "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

Okay, I acknowledge I'm not biblically literate, but I have to ask if you live by all of the rules in Leviticus?