Menu

s/o Why is your universal healthcare a love?

Me neither. How about it, those of you who live with UHC..... if you dont' get a flu shot, are you refused an appointment to see a doctor when you call because you're experiencing flu-like symptoms?

astrid

No. Never. At least not in The Netherlands.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me neither. How about it, those of you who live with UHC..... if you dont' get a flu shot, are you refused an appointment to see a doctor when you call because you're experiencing flu-like symptoms?

astrid

No.

I have never experienced, or heard of being forced to get any medical thing done in order to get coverage.

astrid

My husband (asthmatic) and my mother (old) are called in for flu shots each year, but there's no compulsion.

My mother has high blood pressure but has refused medication. There's no suggestion that this will cause her to lose any services.

Laura

No. Never. At least not in The Netherlands.

No.

I have never experienced, or heard of being forced to get any medical thing done in order to get coverage.

These voices from the field seem to indicate otherwise. Thanks for the replies!

astrid

astrid

I'm British and haven't been to the doctor in 4 years. I'm overdue a number of tests, but would never be refused treatment. We refused early immunisations for oldest two children, and while the health professionals tried to talk us out of that decision, they did respect that it was our decision and would never have refused to treat us or our children.

There are problems with our NHS. Rationing definitely happens. You do hear occasional horror stories. There is waste. Some people do abuse it (my own mother did :glare:). But my family has only ever received excellent care. DH also has a private health scheme through work, which we have never used. People who have used it say that you simply see NHS doctors slightly more quickly and in rather more luxurious surroundings.

Don't the insurance companies in the US make huge profits? (I really don't know about that). If so, that would make my blood boil, knowing that at the same time people are suffering terribly from lack of medical care.

Edited by Cassy

Don't the insurance companies in the US make huge profits? (I really don't know about that). If so, that would make my blood boil, knowing that at the same time people are suffering terribly from lacking of medical care.

Oh, I'd say that "huge" is a gross understatement. :glare:

astrid

astrid

I have never had a flu shot, neither have my kids and we have NEVER been refused medical care when we have flu symptoms. I know numerous people throughout western Canada who can say the same thing.

None of my kids have any immunizations of any kind at this point, and I know a couple families here that are the same and they haven't been refused any service because of it.

There's no such thing as 'approval for services' here.

I've certainly never seen it in my province either. My GP does harp on me to get my annual physical, though, but has never denied services because I dodge it. He does have a rule that he won't issue a refill on my BCP without an office visit that includes checking bp and a blood test. I don't argue with that because I can know that elevated bp is a risk with BCP, and that issuing BCP to a woman without checking to see if she's pregnant is kind of stupid.

I get very good care when I want it or need it. And, dh and I together pay less for all federal and provincial taxes now than I paid by myself for health insurance premiums (not including co-pays) when I lived in the States over 15 years ago. If all I ever got from my taxes was health care, I'd still be way ahead. As it is, I get much, much more from my taxes than just health care.

Or the actual parents of the needy kids. Kids get Medicaid. I don't. Hubby has insurance through work but to add me would multiply the premium exponentially. We don't have hundreds of dollars sitting around that could be rebudgeted. I do like having the lights on. And eating. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree::iagree:

This is our current scenario.

If hubby gets son and I under his health plan, we pay a huge premium monthly and bills or rent goes unpaid. Which is why I am looking for a part-time job to cover the loss. Ironically, son's medicaid coverage pays everything due to his rare genetic disease being "billable" code while the private insurance treats it as "not medically necessary". I have never understood that. The same code but some private insurance bureaucrat rejects it. And then you have to fight for the bill to be paid.

I have 2-3 more years to finish homeschooling my son and get him into college. My plan is to go back to work full-time as a public schoolteacher -- primarily for the healthcare plan. And to get extra $$ for son's college tuition and books.

This is what frightens me most about a single-payer system. I have been without insurance and I sprained my ankle very badly while uninsured. I did not choose to go to the doctor and probably would not have even if I had had insurance(obviously this is probably not the sort of care that would be required). I recently acquired insurance and have not been to the doctor and will probably not go unless I absolutely have to. I have not been to a doctor's office in at least 7 years. There are certain tests that I will not consent to and I have never had a flu shot and have no intention of starting to take one annually either now or in the future.

This seems like an out of place worry with regards to UHC for me. If anything I think we have more respect for patient autonomy in Canada than I have seen in the US. People have the option of flu shots - you don't HAVE to get them. The same with other vaccinations or care options. No one is going to kick you out of the hospital because you didn't access the preventative care you should have before.

astrid

That has never happened. And just because we're talking about vaccines... I've refused vaccines for ds and he's never been turned away either. Although the PHA is big on promoting vaccinations and reminding you, there is respect for the fact that it is a parent's right to refuse.

That has never happened. And just because we're talking about vaccines... I've refused vaccines for ds and he's never been turned away either. Although the PHA is big on promoting vaccinations and reminding you, there is respect for the fact that it is a parent's right to refuse.

Same here. Boo hasn't had any, Princess we're going to start, and I don't even get questioned on it, after I say no, we're not following the sched.

Same here. Boo hasn't had any, Princess we're going to start, and I don't even get questioned on it, after I say no, we're not following the sched.

Oh, I will admit I did get questioned on it. The questions mostly went like this:

PHN: Did you know you can get well-baby home visits? Did you know you can get your child vaccinated?

Me: Yes.

PHN: And it is covered by the PHA. Did you know that?

Me: Yes.

PHN: Did you get this pamphlet on covered services? Do you have any questions? Are you sure you know that you don't have to pay for this?

This went on for roughly the first year of ds's life. I cannot say I was annoyed because... well... they were so polite and inoffensive about it. It was somewhat amusing, though. Basically, they just wanted to make sure that I knew I wasn't in the US anymore and that health care wasn't going to require any digging in my pockets. :D

As a recipient of taxpayer funded, government run and controlled healthcare in the US, I'll take my medical coverage over that in the civilian world any day.

We're military and our healthcare system is the epitome of "social medicine." Does it have its quirks? You bet. Downsides? Most definitely.

The biggest downside is that it's a minor system within this country. So our choice in doctors who accept the insurance is limited. Although, if this coverage were universal, that problem probably wouldn't be there. There are also co-pays and out of pocket expenses for medicine if purchased at a civilian pharmacy.

My husband has continuously re-enlisted over the last 18 years just because of the insurance. He's been offered jobs where he could make six figures, but we still stayed with the military because of the insurance. Why? The insurances offered by husband's prospective employers would not cover me because I have multiple health issues. They also wanted to increase the premiums for my oldest son because he was sick when he was born and there's a possibility it could cause issues in the future (this is despite the fact that it's been 15 years and hasn't had one issue resulting from that illness). When we checked on private insurance, they wanted over $3000/month and that was one of the cheaper options. Definitely NOT something affordable because of the area of the country the jobs were located.

I have options within the Military system. I get referrals, which are required to be in the system within 48 hours. Oh, those referrals are for if you're seeing civilian doctors.

When we lived near a smaller base it took longer to get appointments but that was due to the area. Example: I called for a Pap and was given an appointment nine months later. However, now that we're in a larger area, I just called and made an appointment for two weeks from now.

Personally, I do believe that healthcare is a right not a privilege. Driving is a privilege, owning a car is a privilege, owning a home is a privilege. But being healthy physically, mentally and emotionally? To me that's a basic right of life. I don't see how anyone can say that owning a gun or voting are rights but having the ability to care for your person isn't.

Again, JMO. :)

As a recipient of taxpayer funded, government run and controlled healthcare in the US, I'll take my medical coverage over that in the civilian world any day.

We're military and our healthcare system is the epitome of "social medicine." Does it have its quirks? You bet. Downsides? Most definitely.

I guess this is why I don't find the idea scary. My health insurance has been controlled by the government for my entire adult life, and it has been great. Have there been times that something was denied? Yes, but I have always managed to find an alternative with the doctors or to get them to give a different reason for it and then it went through.

I do know someone in Canada who had a breast reduction that had to be approved but that would be considered "cosmetic" by most ins companies here. It was covered.

My best friend will be having a breast reduction that will be covered as well. Her doctor has advised her to drop some weight first though and she has taken his advice, but regardless of when she wanted it, it would've been considered a necessary surgery because it was causing her back pain.

I've certainly never seen it in my province either. My GP does harp on me to get my annual physical, though, but has never denied services because I dodge it. He does have a rule that he won't issue a refill on my BCP without an office visit that includes checking bp and a blood test. I don't argue with that because I can know that elevated bp is a risk with BCP, and that issuing BCP to a woman without checking to see if she's pregnant is kind of stupid.

I get very good care when I want it or need it. And, dh and I together pay less for all federal and provincial taxes now than I paid by myself for health insurance premiums (not including co-pays) when I lived in the States over 15 years ago. If all I ever got from my taxes was health care, I'd still be way ahead. As it is, I get much, much more from my taxes than just health care.

And that's his rule, nothing mandated by UHC.

I think most countries with UHC have some form of charter or constitution that outlines their rights and freedoms and can't be overridden by UHC.

My best friend will be having a breast reduction that will be covered as well. Her doctor has advised her to drop some weight first though and she has taken his advice, but regardless of when she wanted it, it would've been considered a necessary surgery because it was causing her back pain.

I've known plenty of people in the US, in recent years, who have had reductions covered due to the back issues.

I was thinking about the post that mentioned that baby who was refused the treatment the parents wanted and so came to the US. It got a lot of press at the time, especially from anti-UHC American sources. It was portrayed as some sort of government beomouth rationing care. It really wasn't about that at all.

It was one of those tricky cases because it was about the care of an infant. If an adult had been wanting the same treatment and was able to indicate that, it would likely have been approved. But in this case it was an infant who couldn't communicate.

Normally, parents make all the decisions about care in such cases. In this case though, the treating doctors were not comfortable with he idea that this was in the best interest of the patient. And I feel comfortable in saying that doctors in the big children's hospitals are pretty used to parents making decisions that they wouldn't and respecting that.

What happens in that case is that the issue goes before the hospital ethics committe. And in this case, they determined that it was not good medical care to give that procedure to the baby - the child was in pallitive care and was dying and it was an invasive procedure, essentially for the benefit of the parents.

Of course these committees can make mistakes, but that does not mean that there is really no ethical dilemma. And in this case IIRC they approached several other hospitals and got the same response.

I don't think that I am comfortable saying that private medicine is better because they will do anything you ask, even if it is ethically questionable, as long as you can pay. In fact, that isn't true - American hospitals also have ethics committees. But it seems to me the implication of saying people should be able to get ANY procedure they want if they can pay for it.

I was wondering about the mandatory care stuff too, but I'm glad several have chimed in to answer about that. My worry was weather you have to follow some mandated plan or you don't get x, y, z....though it's not like they don't try to scare the daylights out of you for not wanting to pump the pharmaceutical companies pockets full of money in the US.

I often feel bad talking about this, because we are the upper class. I have a big heart for people being taken care of and having health care. Heck, my mom is the top of admin for a community health care here, and those drs are nothing short of amazing. Most of them are doing free work and spend their lives trying to help those in need. I am beyond words for them. No I don't know what it's like to not be able to pay medical bills, but that doesn't mean I don't truly feel the pain of people who cannot. I will *never* know of friend/family member who literally would not eat if not for some sort of medical treatment without doing something to help. I always feel the comments of," you don't know what it's like." No, I have not lived it but there are people like myself and many others who WOULD sacrifice to spread humanity.

I know far too many people who have the same outlook on UHC. They don't really understand it first of all. And second they feel you should work and be able to pay for anything you can afford. So, if your kid gets x,y,z, then you should be able to pay for the top treatments. And if someone with no money has the same thing, well.....I guess you come first. It's sad. And also I think they cap a lot on the people who made bad choices....you know like alcoholism leading to liver disease and the like. They should not have the same care etc. Or the single mothers that keep having babies....where does it end, etc. It is just a totally different mind set. There are soooo many people that don't have a heart for mankind. For whatever reason we evolved to be a compassionate species, we did. Maybe there are two :tongue_smilie:

I just think the system sucks as in right now, so I am all for trying and failing at something else. How much worse could it be .

My children have not ever been denied care because they don't have the mandatory vaccines. Now, I do get "the look" whenever the subject of vaccines comes up, but that's it.

I've never heard of anyone not receiving treatment for something because they didn't do the routine preventive maintenance (for lack of better terminology right now! LoL).

We're military and our healthcare system is the epitome of "social medicine.

:iagree:

Without a single doubt, free health care is the number one benefit of military service for our family. (And that is really saying something, because the retirement deal is pretty sweet as well.) We pay nothing to see a doctor. I do not have to consider money when deciding whether or not my kids need to take a trip to the ER. I am well aware that I am very lucky in that regard.

I think it is beyond sad that anyone should be denied care because of money, or let potentially life saving preventive care lapse because they can't afford to see a doctor. I think it is absolutely disgraceful that in this country, some have to bankrupt themselves to provide healthcare for sick family members. I am disgusted that people who could be saved are allowed to die because of money. Money!?

I come from a long line of soldiers. I was born in the Army. No one could ever be more patriotic than I was as a child. But as an adult? I have come to be ashamed of the love of profit that appears to trump human decency time after time, issue after issue.

And that isn't political, by the way. There is shame enough to go around. That much is certain.

The very title of this thread just blows mind. I was seriously :confused:. It seems pretty obvious to me. Having access to healthcare instead of living in fear of the inevitable? This is not a tough concept to puzzle through. And for those who say they have great healthcare so they don't have a problem with our current system, just wow. Where is the empathy? Where is there a nod to the thought of, "There but for the grace of God go I?" I am agnostic and I still find nothing but truth and humility in that phrase.

Without a single doubt, free health care is the number one benefit of military service for our family. (And that is really saying something, because the retirement deal is pretty sweet as well.) We pay nothing to see a doctor. I do not have to consider money when deciding whether or not my kids need to take a trip to the ER. I am well aware that I am very lucky in that regard.

I think it is beyond sad that anyone should be denied care because of money, or let potentially life saving preventive care lapse because they can't afford to see a doctor. I think it is absolutely disgraceful that in this country, some have to bankrupt themselves to provide healthcare for sick family members. I am disgusted that people who could be saved are allowed to die because of money. Money!?

I come from a long line of soldiers. I was born in the Army. No one could ever be more patriotic than I was as a child. But as an adult? I have come to be ashamed of the love of profit that appears to trump human decency time after time, issue after issue.

And that isn't political, by the way. There is shame enough to go around. That much is certain.

The very title of this thread just blows mind. I was seriously :confused:. It seems pretty obvious to me. Having access to healthcare instead of living in fear of the inevitable? This is not a tough concept to puzzle through. And for those who say they have great healthcare so they don't have a problem with our current system, just wow. Where is the empathy? Where is there a nod to the thought of, "There but for the grace of God go I?" I am agnostic and I still find nothing but truth and humility in that phrase.

:hurray:

We are retired USMC, so we've also been in 'socialized medicine'....for 22 years. And now, we pay so very little for what we get. I never have to wonder "if" I should go to the doc/er if needed. Not to say "well, la-tee-da", but to illustrate that it ALREADY exists here in the US and it works.

I was not implying at all that America is the only country where doctors receive training. But there are many doctors from around the world that are receiving training in the US (not necessarily their only training, but some parts of it). And the effect on medical training is an important one to consider as well. The medical situation in America is extremely complex and there are many sides to the issue, and there may be many ramifications to whatever solution is chosen.

there are many doctors from around the world receiving training in England, Canada and Australia. I am saying this aspect of the argument doesn't exist as a problem.

Maybe we are defining "approval of services" differently. How are you defining it? I'm talking about being able to go and request a service (or have your doctor recommend a specialized service) and having it be up to someone else whether and when you get to have that service. Are you saying that nobody in Canada is ever denied a service or told it won't be covered? Because that clearly is not true.

So for example, if you wondered whether you have Lyme disease, could you go and say "I want the blood test" and you'd get it, no questions asked?

Could you go and say "my kid needs a CAT scan" and have it delivered just like that?

How about a boob job or sex change? For real?

:lol::lol::lol:

You crack me up...

OF course you can go to any doctor and say I want a blood test, or an xray. The dr would be curious why you wanted a scan, and I believe you have to pay a small amount for scans if they are not an emergency.

I have gone to a dr and said I want a referral to a Gino. and he has written out the referral NO Problem. My DH has gone to the DR and asked for a referral to a top Allergist, the DR wrote out the referral no problems.

But boob jobs and sex changes, plastic surgery for cosmetic reasons (not because of trauma like burns) is not covered under UHC. you would have to pay for things like that.

:lol::lol::lol:

You crack me up...

OF course you can go to any doctor and say I want a blood test, or an xray. The dr would be curious why you wanted a scan, and I believe you have to pay a small amount for scans if they are not an emergency.

I have gone to a dr and said I want a referral to a Gino. and he has written out the referral NO Problem. My DH has gone to the DR and asked for a referral to a top Allergist, the DR wrote out the referral no problems.

But boob jobs and sex changes, plastic surgery for cosmetic reasons (not because of trauma like burns) is not covered under UHC. you would have to pay for things like that.

I'm laughing here too. What American insurance policy covers cosmetic plastic surgery and sex changes?? The premium for a policy like that would $10,000 a month!!!

I have stayed out of this because I have lived in the UK for only 5 years. I love the NHS. I have seen people receive amazing treatment. Rationing--the waits are no longer than in the US. I once waited 6 weeks for an MRI in the US. I lived in a major city and took the first availiable appointment--1 am I think it was.:lol:

A good friend's 85 yr old mother recently had a bowel infection. Both of dh's parents died in the US from a similar infection. 5 cat scans and 2 surgeries in 36 hours. she is still with us. We just went to her 60 th anniversary party. I honestly cannot imagine that number of CAT scans being approved by US insurance. We do not live in a highly rated NHS area. It supposedly isn't great in our part of the country.

Another elderly friend was told she needed a hip replacement. Took ages to convince her. Her NHS doc worked really hard to convince her. Because of the number of people scheduled ahead of her, NHS sent her to a private facility for free--some odd law. She waited a month or so.

I could go on. We have been amazed by the level of care. The village gp makes home visits for people who need him too. A friend's 90 year old uncle wouldn't go to the dr so he came to him.

We were huge sceptics. We continued to pay for our really expensive American plan for the first year. But we did not need it and really could not afford it. Gave it up without regret. Really would prefer treatment here.

Yes, we do hear complaints sometimes. Because we are still learning we ask questions. Frequently the complaining has little basis. Totally unrealistic expectations. Generally while talking the story changes-- the NHS did a good job.

There is no such thing as an "NHS death panel." People are given the option to receive treatment. Some do chose not to. Their decision is respected and appropriate care is given.

There is little difference in care here versus a blue cross plan. Better then an American HMO. IMO.

Just want to add that private medicine is realitively cheap here. Next day open MRI of spine, diagnosis by a specialist less then Ă‚Â£1500. Considering the amount not covered/deductible for my US back surgery-- this is cheap! Have not used private but know a doctor socially. I asked. That was the answer.

This argument never makes any sense to me.

Your insurance cos make decisions, overriding your Dr, all the time.

Yup. People keep saying (here and elsewhere) how much they don't want government bureaucrats making their health decisions. Who do you think makes them now? Corporate bureaucrats. People whose job it is to make money for their company's shareholders. People who make money by cutting costs. People who cut costs by denying care. People who work for companies that are not responsive to their consumers. As long as there is a profit motive in healthcare, it's going to be all about money and not about healthcare.

Tara

Yup. People keep saying (here and elsewhere) how much they don't want government bureaucrats making their health decisions. Who do you think makes them now? Corporate bureaucrats. People whose job it is to make money for their company's shareholders. People who make money by cutting costs. People who cut costs by denying care. People who work for companies that are not responsive to their consumers. As long as there is a profit motive in healthcare, it's going to be all about money and not about healthcare.

Tara

You know, though, I think the corporations WANT that perception out there. That way they can keep us all in a stranglehold. They keep telling the lie and people keep believing it because they are terrified of the alternative.

You know, though, I think the corporations WANT that perception out there. That way they can keep us all in a stranglehold. They keep telling the lie and people keep believing it because they are terrified of the alternative.

Yep.... Their lobbyists are quite good too.

That's what I don't get. You guys can't even to have a real public discourse about UHC because so much money seems to be spent trying to shut down that discussion before it even begins.

That makes me think the US could have UHC though, otherwise what are all those people spending money on shutting down the discussion worried about?

That's what I don't get. You guys can't even to have a real public discourse about UHC because so much money seems to be spent trying to shut down that discussion before it even begins.

That makes me think the US could have UHC though, otherwise what are all those people spending money on shutting down the discussion worried about?

I think we will have it-eventually. These companies are running wild. They have a total monopoly and free reign from the government. People will realize how out of control they are, but I hope it's before they decimate us as a country. And I know that is a catastrophic sentence, but I don't know many small businesses who are planning on keeping their healthcare. They just can't afford it. We can't just keep paying these prices that go up and up with no stop.

:iagree: I was one of the terrified....until ds had Lyme disease and we couldn't get him the care he needed, and I now have a chronic illness and not only can not afford the medications that would help me, I can not get other insurance because of a " Pre-existing" condition:glare:

I am no longer terrified of UHC, I am terrified of continuing with the status quo and manipulations of corporate insurance companies.

Pure insanity.

I have a girlfriend who worked at one a few years ago-she had to quit. She couldn't live with herself and who she was 'denying' over the phone. She would go home and cry day after day, she started having anxiety attacks. It was horrible. She hates them something fierce.

I have a girlfriend who worked at one a few years ago-she had to quit. She couldn't live with herself and who she was 'denying' over the phone. She would go home and cry day after day, she started having anxiety attacks. It was horrible. She hates them something fierce.

:crying:That is really sad.

I'm in Canada and just had a breast reduction three weeks ago. I had terrible back pain and skin irritations. I had to be approved but it wasn't a problem because I was huge up there.

As far as other questions: I can pick my own doctor and I can pick a specific specialist if I wanted to. I've never had to wait too long to see a specialist either usually within a couple of weeks.

As far as it being free it isn't. I pay my taxes and so I except good service and have complained when I don't get it (OK actually DH has complained for me) I was in the hospital having my daughter and my doctor was making some really bad decisions and wasn't listening to me or my DH and we requested a new doctor. Right there in the middle of labour AND I got one (a GOOD one too).

I don't have to use the health care as much as others and I certainly don't mind paying taxes so that another person can get care that they need.

My taxes are also not as high as some health insurance policies in the USA.

I also have lived in the USA and I never got sick and didn't have to use a doctor in the three years I lived there but my sister got pregnant and the sneaking around her doctor had to so that she could afford to have a baby was crazy.

I think we will have it-eventually. These companies are running wild. They have a total monopoly and free reign from the government.
Not quite free reign. :001_smile: Medical Loss Ratio provisions of the ACA kick in this year (80% of premiums must to "health services" for individual and small group plans, and 85% for large group plans), and health insurers are still reeling from the final ruling that marketing expenses are not "health services." :D

Here's an older, but still relevant article about how the MLR provision can help bring about greater transparency:

http://www.shrm.org/hrdisciplines/benefits/articles/pages/lossratiosrules.aspx

Not quite free reign. :001_smile: Medical Loss Ratio provisions of the ACA kick in this year (80% of premiums must to "health services" for individual and small group plans, and 85% for large group plans), and health insurers are still reeling from the final ruling that marketing expenses are not "health services." :D

Here's an older, but still relevant article about how the MLR provision can help bring about greater transparency:

http://www.shrm.org/hrdisciplines/benefits/articles/pages/lossratiosrules.aspx

A friend of dh's just announced he got a rebate check back from his insurance company for $709 thanks to Obamacare:D The health care law provides that now health insurance companies must spend at 80% of premium dollars for health care.

AFAIK in Australia there is UHC and then you can elect to buy additional private insurance that offers coverage for things not covered under UHC. .

Sort of - I live in Aus and used to work for the Private Health Insurance industry. PHI generally doesn't cover 'more' procedures, what it provides for is more choice. Basically it makes the more expensive choices (private hospitals, specialists of choice etc.) more affordable, because PHI will cover or at least rebate some of the costs (depending on type of cover). There are lots of ins and outs but generally a PHI policy will not cover you for unnecessary procedures - those are considered a choice and need to be paid for out of pocket,. Extras like Dental/optical etc are a different kind of policy. Without PHI you go on a public waiting list and get whichever doctor/hospital bed/specialist appointment that happens to be available.

The public health system is run by the state governments, with funding also coming from the federal government. But I'm not an expert on all of that.

I do not currently have PHI and have never had any issues with the public system, in fact there are many cases where I would (and did) choose public over private no matter how much money I had. But there are some cases I have seen - especially for elderly patients - where PHI has been invaluable...

Overall we have a fantastic system and I am thankful for it. It is not perfect but it does provide a good level of basic healthcare for every citizen. I do not know if/how it would translate into the US.

I live in the US and am very pleased that something is being done about the disaster that currently exists. An example of the insanity that is US health care costs from today:

My husband recently changed jobs so we have new insurance with a high deductible.

Before I had new insurance cards I needed to fill an antibiotic RX at $30.59, so not horrible.

Today I took my receipt in so that the RX could be re-run with the insurance discount. $30.59 refunded, new cost $4.19! The insurance didn't pay the pharmacy anything, I just get an 86% discount because I have insurance.

Anyone who'd like to know more about this should look at Atul Gawande's New Yorker article about the town in Texas that has the highest Medicare costs in the USA. Not surprisingly (for those of us in healthcare), it is an intensely privatized area, without university practices or hospitals, with a super-high concentration of private, for-profit medical practices and hospitals. The conversation he relates with local cardiologists, and their description of the super-interventionist medical culture there, demonstrates perfectly the kind of system we'd have it profit motive alone was the driving force of medical care. Why not do a cardiac catheterization (on a patient who doesn't need it) when you are certain to be paid?

There is a cardiologist in my area who has been seriously discredited, lost his license, and has a number of pending lawsuits. He was revealed to have done thousands of stents and cardiac catheterizations that were unnecessary. We can't rely on insurance companies, or patients, to recognize when care is overused.

There is a private hospital near my house, known for its lovely "birthing rooms" (tastefully furnished, doncha know) where the C-section rate is 40%. It's an excellent example of the distortion of medical care by the profit motive. More care is NOT always better care.

I worked for years in a doctors office as a front desk person who had to vet people who didn't have the right insurance or couldn't pay at the time of service. It was a walk in/ primary care clinic and oh..,,it was awful. I had people crying, calling me names, screaming at me, begging me and I couldn't hack it after several years. There's not enough money in the world that would get me back into the office side of the medical field.

To add to your list: I'm saddened and disgusted every time I see a collection jar at a local store, or read about a benefit so little Johnny Local can get cancer treatment. No one should have to depend on a barbecue benefit at the local park for life saving procedures. That's beyond sad.

Back in the 80's I worked briefly for a re-insurance company. They insure the insurance companies. If you think big insurance companies are bad, reinsurance companies are heartless. I quit after 3 months, and the only reason I made it that long was because I really needed a job.