Menu

When is your official first day of school this year?

September 3rd will be our official start date. We school year round, but I need a start date for the state and we try to do something fun to mark the start of our new year. The schools here start around August 6th as well. We generally complete our last week of school thier first or second week, take two weeks off and start our new year.

Aug 1st was my first reply but then I realized it's a Wed this year so...either we'll start June 30 or Aug 6th. We are year-around schoolers but I am thinking of trying to get the bulk of our studies done more traditionally Aug-May since my kids have liked not doing this summer compared to last year when we schooled each week May-June-July-Aug...I think my older 2 (pre-teens) are starting to like time off and are willing to put in long days/weeks when the weather isn't so nice and life isn't so busy.

Assuming you do a Fall-Spring or Fall start year-round school year?

PS here starts August 6. We're going to be on a family vacation until Aug 13, so I'm thinking August 20 will be our official "first day" of 3rd grade :).

When I did a little school at my church, we started around the middle of August (not common in California, which usually started after Labor Day) so that we could finish the semester at Christmas, when we took off three weeks instead of the usual two. We finished the Thursday before Memorial Day Weekend, giving us all of June and July off. So if I were doing a similar schedule as a homeschooler, I'd start either Aug. 16 or 20; the last day of the fall semester would be December 21; the beginning of the winter/spring semester would be January 14; last day of school would be May 23.

It is completely dependant on thos baby's arrival. If I get through the next three weeks....we will start July 30th, work for a week or two and take a little time off for the baby then start back up. My kids tend to overlook ;) I don't want to loose a whole.month waiting on the baby. If he is born early, we will start as soon as I feel up to it.

2nd week of September. We live in the rain most of the year and no way am I cooping us up indoors in the summer! Besides, my anniversary is the end of August and we are finally going on a trip. Then my inlaws visit the first week of September. I may actually need a week off after that but we will see.

This will be our first year homeschooling and I am hoping to be ready to begin on August 1st. We will take the first three days to check out all of our new curriculum and to discuss our schedule and expectations for this wonderful new journey! Obviously, I really have no idea :001_smile: so I will be checking in here often for advice.

Well, my plans were to have started this week. Unfortunately, things came up (and hence the reason we start so early!) and I hope to start Monday (7/9). This is going to be a busy year and I need all the time I can get!

Well, baseball lasts until the end of July AND my ds11 has camp the last week of July (he'll have to miss the last week, but dd6 won't miss it). I was hoping to start that last week, but it's not going to happen.

Then, I thought we'd start the first week of August...again, not happening:glare:. I had told my mom a couple of months ago we'd come visit then as baseball will be over. She lives 3.5 hrs away, so I really want to get out there to see here. Skipping it isn't an option, neither is going any earlier...so be it!

August 6th it is!

PS-Dd6 has been doing her MFW 1st grade curriculum for the past two weeks (off/on) b/c she BEGGED me to start. I don't think she'll be so gung-ho by November:lol:.

July 23. We've been on a summer schedule since DH and I finished teaching our respective (university) classes in mid-May. We're traveling now, but when we get back I'll take a week to get unpacked and organized and then we'll start back up.

Public schools here ended May 24 and start again on August 1.

I'm due to have a baby on August 1st and I range from being on time to being two weeks overdue. I'll start after Labor Day on Sept. 4th. That'll give me time to have a baby, sort all the stuff I bought, buy whatever else we need and get a school area set up. We really shouldn't have taken the summer off but I figure the break will help my sanity....or I hope it does.

We'll be late this year.

The public schools start on August 20, but my son will still be in England with his choir at that point. They don't return until the following week. I figure the kid will need a few days to unpack and sleep before he'll be any good for schoolwork. Then, it's my husband's birthday . . .

So, what with one thing and another, we aren't starting until September 5 this year.

August 13; we school 6 weeks on, 1 week off. Our last chunk before Christmas will be only 5 weeks, but we will make it work somehow. ;) I think school is easier on our home life than summer--my kids bicker so much more, both from heat and from having less to do--so I am looking forward to starting up again. :001_smile:

our summer break just started a week ago. when PS finished. School not due back until after labor day. So that is when we will start. However, we do school light. DS has 3 week completely off then we do half schedule until school starts