Menu

What curriculum have you used for the longest amount of time-in terms of years?

HollyinNNV

What is the longest (in years) that you have used a specific curriculum product?  

1. 1. What is the longest (in years) that you have used a specific curriculum product?

• 1 year
    • 2 years
    • 3 years
    • 4 years
    • 5 years
    • 6 years
    • 7 years
    • 8 years
    • 9 years
    • 10 or more years!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is R&S math, but will be ending this year as we try out TT. I've been very happy with R&S math. This will be our 3rd year using sotw. My dd12 did the four books in 2 years and my dd9 will be starting them this year.

Since we've only been at it for 5 years I can't go higher than that. LOL

Pre k and K I didn't use any thing specific. I didn't have WTM until late in 1st grade. I implemented it for 2nd. So I've used FLL and STOW for two years going on three this year.

I've used the Pathway Readers to teach reading for all five of my kids, so that's been 9 years, if I'm calculating right.

We've used MCP math for 8 years but I'm switching to Shiller this year.

We've used Saxon Math for 5 years.

We've used Faith and Life for Catechism for 11 years!

We've used this as a wonderful elementary program (through pre-algebra) for four kids and it has done a great job at explaining math.

We also used Sonlight K to 5 until the oldest hit highschool.

In fact, I feel like a traitor leaving MUS and SL for better high school programs.

SRA McGraw Hill Math Explorations and Applications, used 1-6 with one child and K-6 with the other (but did 2 books in one year to make it 5 or 6 years). We also did Spelling Workout for 5-6 years. The next longest after those would be SOTW for 4 years.

I know that some out there haven't been homeschooling that long. However, I'm hoping that they share what they found, too.

Also, I don't know about anyone else, but I don't often post on IEW threads, even though I actually coordinate an IEW co-op.;) I've been using the curriculum so long. I've answered so many q's about it in real life. I am kind of weary of it. Sorry-but it is true. Someday I have to write an "everything you've ever wanted to know about IEW post and save it!" Sometimes I think people (including myself) get really excited about the latest and greatest curriculums and post freely about them. But, the old standard comfortable ones are less "fun" to post about. (or is it just me?)

Anyhooooo I think that this poll has been really interesting! Is it just me, or has Rod and Staff come up a lot? I am enjoying seeing what everyone likes long-term. Long-term use holds a lot of weight with me.

I really appreciate everyone posting!!!! Keep 'em comin' ! You guys are awesome.:grouphug:

of homeschooling and have used Abeka grammar all seven years. Had I read the 2nd edition of TWTM before I read the 1st edition, I probably would have used Rod & Staff, because it is such an excellent grammar program.

However, the first year we homeschooled, I had not read TWTM and I bought Abeka for everything, because I knew nothing about homeschooling. I knew within a month that I could not keep using everything from Abeka, because I simply didn't like it. I did like Abeka's grammar and math (I'm talking only K-6 math, not their upper-level math! That's a whole 'nother story!). Then, six weeks or so into that first year of homeschooling, I discovered TWTM (1st edition), read it, and was delighted to hear that Abeka's grammar was recommended by SWB.

We still use it because the kids are used to it; the grammar portion is still very good. I don't care for the writing as well, so we've always supplemented the writing.

I know that we talk a lot about jumping from one curriculum product to another. But, I'm wondering what curriculum you have used for the longest? My poll asks for the # of years you have used that product. Then, might you post what curriculum gets the award for long-term use?

Holly:D

One or the other child has been using it for the last five years.

Laura

We've had blips in between where I've toyed with the idea of doing something else but then I realized that nothing is perfect so we stuck with it. I found it important to stick with a program with math because they all have different philosophies.

Now as we begin grade seven math, I'm happy with our decision. I have three very different learning styles amongst my children and Saxon is working for each of them.