Menu

What curriculum have you used for the longest amount of time-in terms of years?

HollyinNNV

What is the longest (in years) that you have used a specific curriculum product?  

1. 1. What is the longest (in years) that you have used a specific curriculum product?

• 1 year
    • 2 years
    • 3 years
    • 4 years
    • 5 years
    • 6 years
    • 7 years
    • 8 years
    • 9 years
    • 10 or more years!

I know that we talk a lot about jumping from one curriculum product to another. But, I'm wondering what curriculum you have used for the longest? My poll asks for the # of years you have used that product. Then, might you post what curriculum gets the award for long-term use?

Holly:D

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abeka Phonics. It's the only phonics program I use, it works, and it's taught the way I was taught. I used Abeka when I was in 3rd grade and had to go through their phonics program in a summer course before being permitted to enter the private school. It jumped me from a naturally good reader to a speed reader.

I put 6 years because that's how many years we've been homeschooling. During that time, the things that I have not wavered on have been Singapore math, SOTW (yes, it took us 6 years to get through it), and Rod and Staff English starting in 3rd grade for both kids. Those happen to by my kids' favorite books too.

I've used BJU math with my oldest for K , 1, 2 and 3 . So for 4 years . I stopped at 4 and 5 and wished I didn't . We're going back and maybe starting with BJU 5 for this coming year .

I've used Calvert for grades 1, 2, 3, 4 so for 4 years there too . We're not going to continue with it though after this year .

I've also used 100 Easy Lessons supplemented with The Reading Lessons for 3 of my daughters so far .

I have been homeschooling for 7 years.

I've used MCP math for 7 years.

Spelling workout for 6 years.

Handwriting without Tears for 6 years.

Rod and Staff English for 3 years.

Explode the Code 3 years.

These are the ones that have worked for the boys and that I don't even consider changing.

For us, it was Excel Math for elementary school. It's similar to Saxon with the spiral approach, but costs less and moved quicker. We also loved the fact that it was somewhat "self-grading" with the check answer. This allowed the kids to find their mistakes and correct them quickly, without having to wait for mom (who tends to get behind in grading).

Blessings,

Dana (formerly DeeFL...need to switch that to CO since we moved 3 weeks ago.)

I have used LLATL for the whole 9 years. I have used Apologia for 5 years (elementary and then upper sciences). I have used Saxon math from 5/4 to 8/7 with each child and then I sue Teaching Textbooks with Algebra 1.

I'm not much for skipping around. I guess I was blessed to find out what worked for me early on and then using it.

We've been hsing for 2 years, but we've used Sonlight for 3 years. I'm planning on continuing to use SL, but I'm switching to using the pile method instead of the IG.

I've used Calvert K twice, both times combining with other stuff. Singapore has also been a long-term hit, we've used all the EB books and ds is using 1A and 1B over the summer (and into next year for a a break from R&S).

There are several things I'm going to use for a second year: R&S Math, Pathway readers, LLATL and ETC.

Sing Spell Read and Write + Alphaphonics--used with all five children (starting way back in '92). SSRW for a fun, easy, doable phonics program, Alphaphonics for drill practice.

Abeka K math: I like this text as an easy, colorful intro into math. We only ever used the workbook--no teacher's materials. If we couldn't figure something out, we skipped it.

R&S Math: used 1-7th since discovering it 8 years ago

R&S Bible: Grades 5-8: This four year program covers the entire Bible. I've been very pleased with it, and it has worked well with my wide variety of learners.

Jensen's Grammar: used with four of the five so far (8th grade); next year will be my last time through....

Sonlight K-100--started way back in '93 with this and all my children have gone through most of these cores (and all the wonderful books) in some fashion or another. This coming year we will be going through Core 100 for the last time. Sniff, sniff. (Sonlight's claim to help you build a home library is true--when my college daughters come home, they will usually pick out a book to read and relax by, and most often it's a Sonlight book....)

It took me 5-7 years to find some things (math, for instance) but when I find something that works for me and my students, I stick with it. I'd rather work around known problems and shortfalls than get something new and have a new host of difficulties to straighten out.