Menu

How do YOU bring peace and joy to your homeschool?

Halcyon

Over the last couple of weeks, in light of our pending move next week, i have eased up a bit on hardcore academics so i can pack. In giving myself permission to do this, i ave found our homeschool has more joy and light in it. The boys spent a good 3 hours yesterday constructing time machines out of cardboard boxes, complete with satellites, levers, and an inteicate code system to communicate. I have been doing more read alouds and nature videos such as Nova's Where Did We Come From? which has lit a fire under my eldest to read some back issues of Discover and Smithsonian. It is almost as though the kids are leading the way right now. And interestingly, whether it is by habit or conditioning or just being responsible, older will at some poi t always turn to me and say something like "You know, I really think I need to get my Latin done now." :001_huh: Now we are not getting as muchndone school-wise as usual. But my Dh over the last few months had been encouraging me to find ways to help them take more ownership over their learning....could this be it? In any case, there is definitely more joy and light in our homeschool lately, and i wonder if others could share with me any changes you have implemented in your homeschool that brought about more peace and joy.

Thank you.

We needed a break in February and even though I intended not to do any "school", we still logged the same amount of hours in interest led learning. It was a great break! We did get behind on our "core" subjects.

I really don't know how to put peace and joy in our homeschool during normal times. So, :lurk5:. Hoping to be inspired!

I think about this often. I struggle with whether or not they are learning more when they are devouring books in their free time, following rabbit trails, etc. versus scripted lessons or otherwise formal lessons.

I often look at them learning so much when they are engaged in activities like you have described and wonder if I should pull them away from an activity to "do school." Are they learning more during that activity, or simply applying what they have learned during our formal lessons? I think there is a ideal balance somewhere...just not sure how to pinpoint it exactly.

Peace is easy since we are a houseful of introverts. We prefer the quiet. I light candles, play classical music, maintain a tidy house and in general just have a mindset of peacefulness.

The joy is a little harder to come by. We do try to work hard but at the same time keep things fun. I do try to find humor in most situations so we do laugh often. Even while doing math.

Dd has never been one to read non-fiction for the fun of it. She prefers the fantasy genre and getting her to read anything else is like pulling teeth. So reading has to be assigned. And I don't know how to turn fairies and dragons into science class.

I love days like that too. I am looking forward to our summer break in a few weeks. Hopefully that will bring more joy.

I have started exercising regularly. That seems to give me more energy to get things done which puts me in a better mood, which brings a little more peace :)

I canceled school on Wednesdays. It is my busiest day at work and was causing lots of problems trying to get school "done" and complete the amount of work I have to do. After the first few weeks, they started looking forward to Wednesdays and planning what they'd do. Yesterday, my older dd was up early and in the garden at 8am. She started veggies and herbs from seeds and transplanted them yesterday. She had prepped the garden, tested the ph, amended the soil, and all kinds of things in the previous weeks.

Younger transplanted the veggies she'd started then setup an office of her own near mine - she was working at home too. She even took her baby to her office and read to her during her breaks. Older researched the causes for WWI during her lunch break from the garden and practiced her cello for an extra hour. (we're not studying WWI right now, she was just curious) They have found an amazing amount of things to keep them busy on their "day off" from school. It has stretched our school year out into June, but I think they may be learning as much during their down time as they do during school.

As for joy, I remember that this is their childhood not just their education.

Peace for us has been the use of a schedule for managing our work around here. I was finding it impossible to do school, cook, clean, work outside the home and care for our livestock all by myself. The DH works in another city and is away all week, so it's just me. I was getting pretty frazzled trying to do it all, and it all has to be done, and by me, so I had to figure out a way to make it work.

Anyway, I did find a way. And as a huge surprise to me, that way actually opened up a TON of time for self-improvement, reflection, and opportunities to teach the boys what the word discipline really means.

It started with reflection on time, and how we do ourselves a disservice by allocating time for one thing and then stealing it for something else. Often that means taking the time we need for ourselves and rationalizing it by saying that we needed it to clean, or cook or teach. Just getting a handle on appreciating that was huge. The second half of that reflection was to determine how much time was really needed to do the things that had to be done. Often I had the tendency to not give myself enough time to clean. Now I schedule two hours a day for it. When the two hours are up, cleaning is done to my satisfaction. I schedule two hours for my morning exercise. The boys, watching me, are now running with me in the mornings and learning a lot about patience, timing and endurance. I've set aside an hour in the evenings just to read and write and muse. The boys are now looking forward to that restful time in the evenings to listen to their audiobooks. I set aside the time I needed for school. The boys are appreciative of that because they know now that at a certain time, school will be done.

Anyway, that's brought peace here, a clean house, happy animals, happy boys and a very happy Mom!

We don't school on Wednesday.

we read scriptures and say a family prayer in the morning after breakfast.

At 10am we stop what we are doing and have devotional (sing a hymn, review our memory scripture, have a prayer, and read a bible/character story. It is enjoyable and relaxing)

I cut out all unnecessary busywork.

I keep the tv off during the week.

I read aloud to the kids.

I send them outside.

going to bed t a decent hour and getting up before the kids always makes the day go smoother.

Having a meal plan and a chore chart helps too.

Edited by hmsmith

I just mixed up our schedule a bit ... history first, followed by LA (including writing about history). Then after lunch, math followed by science.

Mornings used to be rushed and stressful, but it's amazing how the shift in subjects helps me ease up. Our history and science are pretty fun! It is SO nice to have a little less LA on my plate, now that the writing is subject-based.

I have just recently created check lists for each of the boys for all of the lessons that need to be cover in a week. I never would have guessed how beneficial this would be. The boys have more ownership over their lessons(DS9 prefers to do 3 or 4 days worth of a subject at a time, who knew). I am less stressed about sitting down and getting each subject done each day because I am less worried it will get away from us. I am no longer the task master, the list is! So far this has really been revolutionary in our homeschool.

Edited by fairy4tmama

I put classical music on for peace, but what helps the most is when little dd takes her nap :tongue_smilie:

As for joy, I have noticed that dd10 is happier with fewer subjects during the day. We spend the same amount of time on school, but if we can dive deeply into the subjects instead of rushing from one to the other, the day goes much more smoothly. Maybe I need to look into a loop schedule for next year or figure a way to better combine subjects or something.

At 10am we stop what we are doing and have devotional (sing a hymn, review our memory scripture, have a prayer, and read a bible/character story. It is enjoyable and relaxing)

I send them outside.

going to bed t a decent hour and getting up before the kids always makes the day go smoother.

This looks a lot like our family. I am curious, what do you consider a good bedtime? I know it depends on what time everyone gets up. These are our bedtimes: Baby-7:00 (gets up to eat again at 10pm), 3yo-7:30, 7yo-8:00, 9yo-8:30. Some people seem to think this is really early. And some, like my parents, even think we are kind of mean! Everyone is up by 7am. I would be interested to know when others are putting their children to bed....

I forgot about reading aloud. I have always read aloud, but had slacked off from it during the day last year except for schooly stuff. This year I have made sure we had a read aloud going for just enjoyment. I read a chapter or two every school day after lunch then they get to go outside and play. It has helped bring peace and joy back, at least during that part of the day :P DD7 will never be joyful during spelling or writing time. But she is improving.

I switched to Heart of Dakota in January 2011. It has been a breath of fresh air. No planning, no stress, we enjoy it, he's learning, it fits us. And, if we happen to have a busy or just "off" day, it's easy enough to skip over something and come back to it the next day.

TV off, worship music on for most of the day brings an overall peace to our day (not just school). I've also found for myself, alone time with the Lord before my day begins really helps.

Hmm, well, I've learned a lot over the past years about this particular topic...mostly from the School of Hard Knocks. My poor oldest child. :lol:

1. I don't raise my voice. Ever. It isn't worth it and it accomplishes nothing. Except that it guarantees that your child will not learn anything in school for the rest of the day, and it makes everyone grumpy and sullen. No yelling.

2. I use unit studies for as many subjects as possible. Discovery learning is the best and has a very high retention rate.

3. Hands-on studies, lots of experiments, messy projects, art, music, cooking, all kinds of stuff that brings smiles, laughter and genuine learning to our homeschool.

4. Nature study. Yep, we're on of those CM families. We spend most of our schooldays outside in pleasant weather. We have nature notebooks and art supplies that can travel, and we spend time observing and painting/drawing all the beauty around us.

5. Read alouds. Outside in nice weather. My neighbors have all gotten quite the education from eavesdropping on our read aloud time (or so they say). One summer, when new construction was going on behind us, the workers would all stop talking when we came outdoors and read "Across Five Aprils", a biography of Lincoln, and another book on Civil War battles. One guy even shouted, "Quiet guys, it's time for the Civil War!" :lol: :lol:

Trying to be mindful of my long term goals can help overcome short term frustration. And when all else fails...smile. :)

Peace for us has been the use of a schedule for managing our work around here. I was finding it impossible to do school, cook, clean, work outside the home and care for our livestock all by myself. The DH works in another city and is away all week, so it's just me. I was getting pretty frazzled trying to do it all, and it all has to be done, and by me, so I had to figure out a way to make it work.

Anyway, I did find a way. And as a huge surprise to me, that way actually opened up a TON of time for self-improvement, reflection, and opportunities to teach the boys what the word discipline really means.

It started with reflection on time, and how we do ourselves a disservice by allocating time for one thing and then stealing it for something else. Often that means taking the time we need for ourselves and rationalizing it by saying that we needed it to clean, or cook or teach. Just getting a handle on appreciating that was huge. The second half of that reflection was to determine how much time was really needed to do the things that had to be done. Often I had the tendency to not give myself enough time to clean. Now I schedule two hours a day for it. When the two hours are up, cleaning is done to my satisfaction. I schedule two hours for my morning exercise. The boys, watching me, are now running with me in the mornings and learning a lot about patience, timing and endurance. I've set aside an hour in the evenings just to read and write and muse. The boys are now looking forward to that restful time in the evenings to listen to their audiobooks. I set aside the time I needed for school. The boys are appreciative of that because they know now that at a certain time, school will be done.

Anyway, that's brought peace here, a clean house, happy animals, happy boys and a very happy Mom!

I really appreciate this. You have given me a lot to ponder and think about. I love all the ideas that everyone has had thus far. Bringing peace and joy to our day is something I have been thinking about a lot lately as well.

This looks a lot like our family. I am curious, what do you consider a good bedtime? I know it depends on what time everyone gets up. These are our bedtimes: Baby-7:00 (gets up to eat again at 10pm), 3yo-7:30, 7yo-8:00, 9yo-8:30. Some people seem to think this is really early. And some, like my parents, even think we are kind of mean! Everyone is up by 7am. I would be interested to know when others are putting their children to bed....

I would be interested in hearing what others schedules as well. Perhaps you could start a new thread.:lurk5:

ETA: I just realized I forgot to add my schedule. I don't love our schedule, I am working on changing it so we go to bed earlier and wake up earlier. Typically we put our oldest 3 kids to bed at 9. They usually don't fall asleep until about 10:30 (which I am not happy about). We put our Ds to bed around 10:00, after he has had his nighttime bottle and a few minutes of play time alone with mom and dad. The kids usually wake up around 8:30 or 9:00, except my Dd4 she is usually awake at 6 or 7 and plays quietly in her room. Like I said I would love to change this so our day would start earlier but on the flip side I want my kids to be able to see their dad more than an hour or two in the evening. We are yet to find the ideal schedule for our family.

Edited by ForeverFamily

5. Read alouds. Outside in nice weather. My neighbors have all gotten quite the education from eavesdropping on our read aloud time (or so they say). One summer, when new construction was going on behind us, the workers would all stop talking when we came outdoors and read "Across Five Aprils", a biography of Lincoln, and another book on Civil War battles. One guy even shouted, "Quiet guys, it's time for the Civil War!" :lol: :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

We go through seasons in our homeschool. For months we will follow a strict schedule of academics...and then for months we will follow interest led learning, do tons of read alouds, art projects, music etc....then that gets old and we go back to scheduled academics in core subjects.

I am always amazed at how much my kids accomplish during those unschooley seasons! It seems when they hit their limit...and need more skill teaching....we go back to that.

I purport that homeschooling, like life....goes through seasons. Paying careful attention to the needs of your family and your kids can help determine when those seasons take place and the shape they take.

Enjoy the season you are in...and plan/look forward to the next....

We got a radio and turned it on to play music while they worked on assignments. Made a world of difference.

Isn't it amazing how that works? I play classical all day, low, and music does keep people calm.

Spend as much time outside as you can. We do nature study too.

Be respectful of people needing space. We're together all the time, peole need SPACE. :D

I'm another that reads outside. We have a screened in porch and we lounge out there all the time and do our readalouds.

Remember to enjoy this.

YOU are my hero!! Please tell me more about how you went about setting time schedules for yourself....and your kids. I am trying to do this...without being completely resentful....nice, huh?

Trying to be mindful of my long term goals can help overcome short term frustration. And when all else fails...smile. :)

that is so funny, but apart from funny-what an incredible way to *show* the excellence of homeschooling. You gave those guys a memory that could change their own decisions on how to raise their kids.

That is exactly our schedule. My 11 yo goes up at 8:30 and reads in bed until 9.

I'm currently reading Charlotte Mason's works, and I am so convicted that I am to blame for the lack of peace and joy in our school. Our habits are all bad, we have no time to ourselves, or for family, and all I do is throw work at them and say, "GET IT DONE!" I was already leaning towards going back to a CM homeschool, but this thread has convinced me!

As for scheduling, I love Managers of their Homes. When I use it, life goes well. When I don't, well look at my year!:glare:

Blessings!

Dorinda

This link on CM's principals might help others. It's helping me!

I have just recently created check lists for each of the boys for all of the lessons that need to be cover in a week. I never would have guessed how beneficial this would be. The boys have more ownership over their lessons(DS9 prefers to do 3 or 4 days worth of a subject at a time, who knew). I am less stressed about sitting down and getting each subject done each day because I am less worried it will get away from us. I am no longer the task master, the list is! So far this has really been revolutionary in our homeschool.

I made a really simple check-off list sometime back, and it was working really well until I forgot about using it! Thanks for the reminder ;) It worked well for me because at the end of a week, even the weeks where I was worried that we were too relaxed, I could see there was a lot going on!

I send them outside.

going to bed at a decent hour and getting up before the kids always makes the day go smoother.

So many important points here! I am trying to keep my home running smoothly, as I have noticed over the years that when things are clean and organized, we have more time for creativity, as with the tv off most of the time (love documentaries though). Busywork indeed should be cut out. When I got rid of a bunch of workbooky stuff, we had a lot more peace in the house! And outdoor time keeps everyone happy.

As for joy, I remember that this is their childhood not just their education.

Exactly. I think this is part of why I am so drawn to Charlotte Mason's methods. Short, varied lessons allow for time for the kids to just be kids, to explore their interests, spend time constructing things from cardboard, or making aliens with clay, reading books on the bench under the apple tree.

I have noticed too that having the kids involved in real activities - cooking, gardening, and things of that sort - keeps them happy too. It allows the both to learn, and to feel that they are making a contribution to the family as a whole.

And reading. Lots of reading aloud. They love the time we spend cuddled up in the big chair, or outside on sunny days, just reading. Again, back to Charlotte Mason a little - lots of "living" books!

and i wonder if others could share with me any changes you have implemented in your homeschool that brought about more peace and joy.

Thank you.

Great question, Halcyon.

We have rain and dark days here for months and months so it is imperative my dds go outside when it is dry and/or sunny. :)

We are doing half-days now. Lots of reading and playing in the backyard. I just snapped this pic of dd9 outside reading Holes in her happy place. Summer twaddle? Oh, yes. :)

post-530-135350866932_thumb.jpg

We aim for 11 for both kids, midnight for ourselves. DS gets up around 8 and DD around 10. Most days this means we are done with breakfast and sometimes all of school before she is up.

To keep peace and joy we do short lessons. I don't Luke to spend more than 20 minutes on anything. History goes longer sometimes because we color and do a lapbook. But that is fun. We have lots of free play time. Yesterday, we were at the theatre all day, there was no joy when we got home because we were tired and no one had had their alone time....rough night! Today, we are all doing our own thing, then run errands, then to the theayre again. We should have a better day because we all got some peace!

My kids are (almost) 11 and 9. Bedtime is 9:00, lights out by 9:30. They are generally up at 7 because of my work and the fact that I need to drop them off at my mom's.

It'll be interesting in July, (when I become a SAHM) with the same bedtime in place, to see when they generally wake up!

Once I decided I do not have to prove anything to anyone, that changed a lot. If *I* am happy, our day is fabulous. I NEED to have a clean house, or I just feel lousy. We always have one huge clutter spot, but as long as I can have a n hour or so of devoted cleaning a day I am a different person.

Now that the weather is nice, we are outside a lot. In the NW summers are fairly mild, but it's still too hot for us to be out from later morning to early evening non stop so we usually just goof off all morning until after lunch these days. But we did not take any actual vacation except around thanksgiving and Christmas. There's just no reason, because we don't have anything to do. So I do not have ANY problem with May and June being very light months.

Also, I am a hobby gardener. I know a great deal about soil ecology and other environmental issues from a scientific standpoint, and we discuss these topics at length. DS can go on for hours about the problem with GMO corn and soil depletion :lol:

And, we recently learned how to (finally) operate my compound miter saw together. How's THAT for a shop class :D

TV OFF during the day. The moment it comes on, the attitude of the whole house changes.

Me OFF the computer during the school day. (We just finished. :tongue_smilie:)

Earlier to bed, all waking up early.

A lot of interest-led reading and science.

Taking time for me, generally, from moments of breathing/mini-meditation to hours out of the house.

If it doesn't get done by the afternoon, let it go. I might use a game in the same subject, but not formal work. Our focus is shot by the afternoon.Any attempts at late schoolwork result in lots of stress.

Math FIRST, right after circle time. Maximum brainpower, minimal stress.

Finally got Adderall for my ADD child. Cue hallelujah chorus. She can finally focus on what we're doing in the morning. (I don't give her the afternoon dose generally. That's playtime.)

For said ADD child, I send her sister off to play when dd and I are working together on schoolwork. Having her sister around is too distracting and results in a lot of stress for everyone. They take turns with me, and sister can come out during several easier subjects now with the Adderall, so that's awesome.

Sometimes we use soothing music in the background. Also, as they each take turns, they get to decompress a bit between subjects. The Drama plays, The Sponge draws or plays with her new pet snail.

TV OFF during the day. The moment it comes on, the attitude of the whole house changes.

These two are very key to me. I also don't let Sylvia play on the computer when she's done and Becca's still working.

I like to light a scented candle.

I used to play soft classical music; maybe I should start that again?

I'm experimenting with a little cofffee for Rebecca to help her focus, particularly in math.

As far as bedtimes go, we're all kind of night owls. We try to get the girls to bed by 10:30. They're usually up around 8. DH has to wake up crazy early for work.

7pm for all the kids (except now that the days are getting later, it is more difficult to bring myself to put them in bed by 7, but that is the goal). They lay in bed and listen to audio books and usually fall asleep around 8 or 9pm. At the end of the day I am ready for quiet time. They get up around 630-7am

A lot of interest-led reading and science.

Taking time for me, generally, from moments of breathing/mini-meditation to hours out of the house.

If it doesn't get done by the afternoon, let it go. I might use a game in the same subject, but not formal work. Our focus is shot by the afternoon.Any attempts at late schoolwork result in lots of stress.

Math FIRST, right after circle time. Maximum brainpower, minimal stress.

Finally got Adderall for my ADD child. Cue hallelujah chorus. She can finally focus on what we're doing in the morning. (I don't give her the afternoon dose generally. That's playtime.)

For said ADD child, I send her sister off to play when dd and I are working together on schoolwork. Having her sister around is too distracting and results in a lot of stress for everyone. They take turns with me, and sister can come out during several easier subjects now with the Adderall, so that's awesome.

Sometimes we use soothing music in the background. Also, as they each take turns, they get to decompress a bit between subjects. The Drama plays, The Sponge draws or plays with her new pet snail.

:iagree: Things always run much more smoothly around here when we do those things.

Please tell me more about how you went about setting time schedules for yourself....and your kids.

Okay, but I'd say that any schedule would have to be very individualized for the house and household. For instance, I've only got two kids, the house is only 2000 sq ft and my main animals to upkeep are four big dogs, nine old cats, a flock of chickens, 10 baby ducklings and one injured duck at present. Not a whole lot, really.

Step 1: Rise at an early hour. (This was something I wasn't sure I could do because I've always been a night owl.) I'm up at six every morning. I'd add get to bed at the hour you need to be in bed by. For me this is 9:30-10:00. (For the boys they are up by 6:45, and in bed by 9:00)

Step 2: Decide what has to get done every day and divide it into an hour in the morning and an hour at night. Similar to the Fly Lady program, only there is a tendency to want to put everything AND the kitchen sink into those routines. Five things, tops. And I don't bother to put things like get dressed or put on shoes. Really--those things are givens. But basically in that hour the animals get their day started (I've got phys therapy on the duck for instance in the morning) and the washer gets started and the dishwasher gets unloaded, and the boys get fed.

Step 3: Decide how much time you need for yourself. THAT TIME IS YOURS. Do not let things take it from you. It is far too easy to waste an hour (um, checking the forum!) rather than reading books on my self-education list for example. I have set aside two hours for exercise as I'm running longer distance now. I have an hour in the evening for my reading--this is not exactly relaxing reading for me, but it could be if you wanted it to be. This hour is after dinner for us, so the boys get to play or listen to audiobooks.

Step 4: Decide the level of clean you have to have and how long it takes you to get there. For me, I don't have to have spotless, but I want it to where if someone came by for a cup of sugar they wouldn't be afraid to take tea. For me this takes about six hours. Obviously I haven't got that kind of time per day. But I can do two hours a day and get there over time. So I tackle a set schedule of rooms a day.

Step 5: Decide how much time you need for school. I didn't need more than five currently. As I need more time for school I may have to cut the cleaning back and spread it out over more days. I've already been making plans to do this as needed.

I think that's about it. I did this about three months ago, and recently changed from the winter schedule to the summer one, and so far it's worked pretty well. But you can see how it would have to be very individualized. And some people might actually find the constraints of a schedule to be stressful instead of peaceful. But at least for us, knowing that Monday we will have clean sheets and clean rooms, and that Wednesday we bathe all four dogs, and that Friday night Mom comes home from work with the week's groceries, and that Saturday is the day I do any needed food prep for the week's cooking, and that every morning breakfast will be ready to eat by 7:30....well, that's peaceful for me.

Edited by Critterfixer

I just had to log in to respond to this. So funny, these are the exact bedtimes we had/have for our girls at the same ages. :D Baby, 7 pm (or earlier). Three year old, 7:30 pm (or earlier). Seven year old, 8 pm. We don't have a nine year old yet, but we do have five year old twins. They all are in bed by 8 pm. AND they take a 1.5 to 2 hour nap about 4x/week. ;) People used to think we were terrible, putting the girls to bed "so early" when they were babies and toddlers. But the girls were always healthy and didn't drag around like tired children seem to do. So I'm glad we were "early to bed, early to rise" people. We still are.

The (near) Daily Quiet Time/Nap is the key to peace and joy around here -- my peace and joy. It has two rules: (1) Lie down; (2) Be quiet.

AMEN! Still working on this.

:iagree:

I found I can tolerate waking up at 7. Earlier than that, and I am not productive at all, and the day's a waste. Then I get the kids up by 8 if they're not. That's good for this night owl family!

Okay, but I'd say that any schedule would have to be very individualized for the house and household. For instance, I've only got two kids, the house is only 2000 sq ft and my main animals to upkeep are four big dogs, nine old cats, a flock of chickens, 10 baby ducklings and one injured duck at present. Not a whole lot, really.

Step 1: Rise at an early hour. (This was something I wasn't sure I could do because I've always been a night owl.) I'm up at six every morning. I'd add get to bed at the hour you need to be in bed by. For me this is 9:30-10:00. (For the boys they are up by 6:45, and in bed by 9:00)

Step 2: Decide what has to get done every day and divide it into an hour in the morning and an hour at night. Similar to the Fly Lady program, only there is a tendency to want to put everything AND the kitchen sink into those routines. Five things, tops. And I don't bother to put things like get dressed or put on shoes. Really--those things are givens. But basically in that hour the animals get their day started (I've got phys therapy on the duck for instance in the morning) and the washer gets started and the dishwasher gets unloaded, and the boys get fed.

Step 3: Decide how much time you need for yourself. THAT TIME IS YOURS. Do not let things take it from you. It is far too easy to waste an hour (um, checking the forum!) rather than reading books on my self-education list for example. I have set aside two hours for exercise as I'm running longer distance now. I have an hour in the evening for my reading--this is not exactly relaxing reading for me, but it could be if you wanted it to be. This hour is after dinner for us, so the boys get to play or listen to audiobooks.

Step 4: Decide the level of clean you have to have and how long it takes you to get there. For me, I don't have to have spotless, but I want it to where if someone came by for a cup of sugar they wouldn't be afraid to take tea. For me this takes about six hours. Obviously I haven't got that kind of time per day. But I can do two hours a day and get there over time. So I tackle a set schedule of rooms a day.

Step 5: Decide how much time you need for school. I didn't need more than five currently. As I need more time for school I may have to cut the cleaning back and spread it out over more days. I've already been making plans to do this as needed.

I think that's about it. I did this about three months ago, and recently changed from the winter schedule to the summer one, and so far it's worked pretty well. But you can see how it would have to be very individualized. And some people might actually find the constraints of a schedule to be stressful instead of peaceful. But at least for us, knowing that Monday we will have clean sheets and clean rooms, and that Wednesday we bathe all four dogs, and that Friday night Mom comes home from work with the week's groceries, and that Saturday is the day I do any needed food prep for the week's cooking, and that every morning breakfast will be ready to eat by 7:30....well, that's peaceful for me.

Thank you for your candidness. Yes, I think a schedule...or routine needs to be very individualized....but it is always good to know what WORKS for another person.....and how you can implement what may work for you.

Thank you....you have my wheels turning. I am looking to focus more on me a bit....my health, needs and education...so I can be a better me for my husband....and kids.....and especially for ME. Maybe it sounds selfish...But when I am peaceful, it seems everyone else around me relaxes a bit as well.

Thanks again.....

I just had to log in to respond to this. So funny, these are the exact bedtimes we had/have for our girls at the same ages. :D Baby, 7 pm (or earlier). Three year old, 7:30 pm (or earlier). Seven year old, 8 pm. We don't have a nine year old yet, but we do have five year old twins. They all are in bed by 8 pm. AND they take a 1.5 to 2 hour nap about 4x/week. ;) People used to think we were terrible, putting the girls to bed "so early" when they were babies and toddlers. But the girls were always healthy and didn't drag around like tired children seem to do. So I'm glad we were "early to bed, early to rise" people. We still are.

The (near) Daily Quiet Time/Nap is the key to peace and joy around here -- my peace and joy. It has two rules: (1) Lie down; (2) Be quiet.

My kids always had early bedtimes. Littlies @ 7:30, middlies @ 8, 10-13 @ 8:30. Everyone else in rooms by 9:30 and lights out @ 11. My adult kids follow their own schedule, but need to be extra considerate about sleeping young ones...AND especially sleeping Mom!!!!!

We always had early bed times too. When I was a kid...my brother and I had early bedtimes. It used to be normal for kids to be in bed at 7. Think of Robert Louis Stevenson's poem "Bed in Summer". Yep, it was the norm. Now kids are up to all hours, going to one activity or another, watching way too much TV...( I remember I had to be in bed after Beat the Clock!! That show played at 6:30!!!:lol:).

I don't think you are mean....I think you are smart....and traditional:D

Edited by Mommyfaithe

Our homeschool is more peaceful when we have less transitions (i.e. do subjects for longer periods of time less frequently).

i agree. And i have the unfortunate tendency, when school is going quickly and smoothly, to ADD MORE SUBJECTS to the day :confused: instea d of just saying "yay, we've finished early, now go play!" :glare: that needs to stop, now. I am not someone who works well with a tight schedule, but i do like routines. This is a mix of what we are doing now, and what i am aiming towards. In other wor, this would be my ideal schedule:

8 am wake up, have tea, read paper, make boys breakfast. They are up at 730 and are usually immersed in books, so i use this time to get myself ready, tidy up the kitchen from any late cooking dh has done (he often works late), make beds, and throw a load of laundry in.

9 school begins. Math or latin is first.

1130 am take a break, while i prepare lunch.

12 to 1230 lunch, while i read aloud.

1230 to 230 history, science or catch up on work not completed in the morning.

230 to 6 boys in activities some days, other days home while i clean house, with their help (sometimes) some days i work and they go to afterchool. Still other days, we are involved in a fun project and we work on it through the afternoon.

6 or 7 dinner (shower and pjs first)

730 or 8 i read aloud until about 830. Lights off at 9. (830 is better but since hey sleep in until 730 they seem to get enough sleep. I read or watch a show with dh till 11 pm.

Saturday afternoons are big cleaning days for me. Dh usually takes boys out for the afternoon so i clean :001_smile:. Sunday afternoons, i clean and prep for coming school week.

Read alouds are important, and like mommyfaithe, i am beginning to realize thhere are seasons to our homeschool. Sometimes we are more hardcore, back to back academics, other times there is more nature walking, exploring, individua

Pursuits... I am finding also there seems to be a Unit Study Season :tongue_smilie: where we just enjoy random unit studies without an attempt to be "orderly".

That's great! We do quiet/naptime ever day here, too! And like you, I've noticed my children don't seem to be tired and/or sick as much as the "average" child! And I am totally trying the book on tape thing at bedtime! What a great idea!

***Thanks for all of the other bedtime responses! It helps to get a glimpse of what it looks like in other families!***

I have a dd7 that is a bit advanced and rather intellectual for her age. It is so tempting to strictly follow classical education with its early grammar and foreign language and such. And I have a degree in Spanish, so it was really hard for me to give up the grammar and foreign language. But I have come to the conclusion though that I am the protector and guardian of my children's childhood, and I have made a conscious effort to study only those academics that are either basic skills (3 R's) or that give my children joy (for us, that means history/geography). Reading, playing outside, pretending, playing board games, etc. are so much more important right now.

I think the big thing here is for me to just lighten up and :chillpill:. I'm in assessment/planning mode right now, and what I realize is, we have gotten *so much* done this year! We didn't (re)-start 4th grade till late October when we started homeschooling, and at first I felt so behind, especially in math, and was so panicked, but you know what, it has all worked out fine! We're right where I wanted to be in math, in terms of curricula, and in terms of conceptual understanding and problem-solving skills, we are light years ahead of my wildest fantasies.

Really, everything goes so much faster when you are teaching one on one. We've started almost all our "5th grade" work already, I'm really focusing on going deep and making connections instead of trying to add every new cool thing I hear about. Next year's plan is lean and clean. And you know what? I'm giving us permission to lighten up over the summer. We'll still do some math and latin, and of course read-alouds, but with everything else, it's going to be fine if we just stop now and start up again when Mo goes back to school.

I guess my point is just for me, to realize that we are doing enough, I can lighten up and don't have to be the relentless overachiever every second, well - if I can live in that place, there is a lot of peace.

And when Mama's happy, everybody's happy, so bring on the joy!