Menu

If you have read a good book lately, please share the title.

A couple that I have recently enjoyed are:

We need to talk about about Kevin

It's one of those books that most might not like the subject matter, but it was handled well in the book and it's one of those books that really makes you think. I enjoyed it. I also saw that they are making it into a movie.

A Sword of Fire and Ice Series is another set of great, great books.

WE'LL HAVE THE SUMMER http://www.amazon.com/Well-have-Summer-Dutch-Henry/dp/1603818375/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337124449&sr=1-1 Touching story about a husband and wife and a horse

:lol:

For some reason, your summary of this book has me laughing. Maybe because I'm such a suburbanite, that the idea of someone writing a story about me, my husband and a horse seems so out there. Seriously, I'm laughing so hard right now thinking about it.

Now I'm going to have to read that book. ;)

:lol:

For some reason, your summary of this book has me laughing. Maybe because I'm such a suburbanite, that the idea of someone writing a story about me, my husband and a horse seems so out there. Seriously, I'm laughing so hard right now thinking about it.

Now I'm going to have to read that book. ;)

For those of us horse lovers, it isn't so "out there":lol:

Maybe the amazon description of the book is a bit better. It is really a very good read and a very touching story. Again, as a "horse person" I was very impressed with the accuracy and detail put into the "horse" side of the story.

I had a great summer a couple of years ago reading through all of James Herriot's books. I often took them to the pool with me and received a lot of strange looks whenever I laughed out loud. Those books took me to Yorkshire every time I read. I was so sorry to finish them.

Another summer I loved re-reading Agatha Christie's autobiography. She also had the gift of transporting me to another time and it was fascinating to read how she became such a successful writer.

Recently I enjoyed The Romance of the Forest by Ann Radcliffe.

For a great mystery/classic, The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins is one of my favorites.

Like another poster I devoured two of Kate Morton's books, though after reflecting upon my reading I felt they had a somewhat twisted quality. I wanted to find out what happened, but in the end, I was a little disgusted. I tire of reading fiction about demented family secrets. Still, her books kept me reading. I might read another one...

Penelope Wilcock's Halk and Dove trilogy.

I could imagine being there and living in a monastery, very well written, also an interesting and thought provoking story.

Lisa Bergen's Waterfall, Cascade, Torrent trilogy.

Fun historical series.

C. J. Darlington's Bound by Guilt and Thicker than Blood.

Jodi Hedlund's The Preacher's Bride and The Doctor's Lady.

Edited by ElizabethB

Omgoodness...Im reading my kids books now...and loving them.

I really enjoyed Mara, Daughter of the Nile.

I just finished Twenty One Balloons...very cute story...Seven Daughters and Seven Sons...I really enjoyed that book...and Shadow Spinner

I also read Hobbit and the lord of the rings...those are great.

My husband gave me Piers Anthony series...xanth novels...those are great storys to read...fantasy...not really for the kids...lots of puns. A Spell for Chameleon is book one.

• 2 months later...

Havah by Tosca Lee as well as Demon: A Memoir (don't let the title concern you) - Demon is one of my all time favorites. It's very thought provoking. Lee is a Christian author.

Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. This is one of the few non-fiction books that would go on my "favorites" list. It's a wonderful story of 2 men from completely different backgrounds and how their lives are joined together.

The Rush of Wings series by Kristen Heitzmann. Actually, I like all of Heitzmann's books except Indivisible (and it has a sequel, but I disliked Indivisible so much that I didn't read it). Rush of Wings series was my favorite though. ETA: Her book Secrets is free right now for Kindle on Amazon. It's the first book in a series, and the series is pretty good.

Anything by Francine Rivers. Redeeming Love is my all time favorite, but I love everything she's written.

A good place for free Christian/inspirational for your Kindle is Inspired Reads. Not everything they post is great literature, but I've found some little gems there every once in a while. I have more free books waiting for me on my Kindle than I could ever read, and I can read a lot!

Edited by mandymom

I finally got around to reading that Potato Peel Pie book - I'm sure someone's mentioned it already; great read.

And I also read Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, which was also very sweet and enjoyable, about a British widower in a small seaside town who falls in love with the widowed Pakistani-British shopkeeper.

I had fun with Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

Loved Joe Lieberman's book about the Sabbath. I think it's The Gift of Rest.

Loved Gift From the Sea, an old book by Anne Morrow Lindberg.

I thought for a moment you were SWB:lol:, thinking, Holy Moly, when does SWB have time to read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculair Children?!

Ida Elisabeth by Sigrid Undset.

She wrote another fabulous read, my favorite triology of all time...Kristin Lavransdatter. I prefer the translation by Tiina Nunnally.

The first one is a quicker read. To read the Kristin, you kind of need to make a commitment and know that you will need to persevere through the first part of the first book. After that, you will be hooked.