Menu

Who are your favorite FEMALE authors?

And/or what are your favorite books written by women? I'd appreciate fiction or nonfiction recommendations.

I'm looking for a few books to have around after the baby is born (and my parents take the older kids to their house for a week).

Thanks!

My favorite book series ever is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.

"The year is 1945. Claire Randall is traveling with her husband when she touches a boulder in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is hurled back in time to a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of our Lord 1743. Catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life, she soon realizes that an alliance with James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, might be the only way to survive. Thus begins a work of unrivaled storytelling that has become a modern classic."

The characters are so good, the series has everything- history, romance, drama, fantasy, sex, war, everything all rolled into one! And it's almost impossible to end up not having a crush on Jamie. :D

I also like Laurel K. Hamilton's "Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter" and "Merry Gentry" series, but you'd have to be into paranormal/vampire stuff.

If you are, I also recommend the Black Dagger Brotherhood books by J.R. Ward, though they are a bit more graphic than Laurel K. Hamilton's books.

And another series along those lines is the "Dark" series by Karen Marie Moning

Moving away from that type of paranormal stuff, I like almost every book by Jodi Picoult, too. Those are more drama and sometimes suspense.

ETA: Oh, and I also love Philippa Gregory for historical fiction novels, particularly about royalty.

Margaret Atwood has some good ones but like others have said they tend to be pretty "heavy" and for me personally they are hit or miss as to whether I will get into them or not. The Handmaid's Tale will probably always be my favorite by her.

Edited by NanceXToo

A. S. Byatt is one of my favorites. Her novels are engaging, but not easy reads. They also tend to deal with familial dysfunction, so if that is not your cuppa, they are not for you.

Barbara Kingsolver is good; she writes fiction, but I especially enjoyed her non-fiction Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, which is about her year of eating locally. It was very inspiring.

For bucolic fiction of the British type, I recommend Miss Read. Yes, Miss. She wrote about small town British life from the mid 1950s on. Sweet, but not saccharine. Perfect post-baby reading, IMO. Her series about Thrush Green is multi book, and just delightful.

Oh, and if you are at all interested in sci-fi/fantasy, check out Connie Willis' novels Blackout and All Clear. They are a real and engaging look at London during WWII, seen through the eyes of time travelers. :)

Edited by Caitilin

Patricia Cornwell - her Kay Scarpetta series..she's a medical examiner, so murder/suspense genre

Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum novels...they are funny, main character is a bounty hunter

Ann B. Ross - Miss Julia series

Patricia Cornwell is one of my favorites as well:)

A. S. Byatt is one of my favorites. Her novels are engaging, but not easy reads. They also tend to deal with familial dysfunction, so if that is not your cuppa, they are not for you.

Oh, yes! I recently finished Possession and The Children's Book. Both were heavy but absolutely engrossing.

My favorite book series ever is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.

"The year is 1945. Claire Randall is traveling with her husband when she touches a boulder in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is hurled back in time to a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of our Lord 1743. Catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life, she soon realizes that an alliance with James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, might be the only way to survive. Thus begins a work of unrivaled storytelling that has become a modern classic."

The characters are so good, the series has everything- history, romance, drama, fantasy, sex, war, everything all rolled into one! And it's almost impossible to end up not having a crush on Jamie. :D

I also like Laurel K. Hamilton's "Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter" and "Merry Gentry" series, but you'd have to be into paranormal/vampire stuff.

:iagree:

Those were pretty much my recommendations as well, lol. I never get tired of reading any of these authors.

If you are into Fantasy I also really, really enjoy Jaqueline Carey (start with Kushiel's Dart), Robin Hobb's Farseer & Tawny Man trilogies, Sara Douglass (particularly the Troy Game series), and Elizabeth Haydon.

If you are, I also recommend the Black Dagger Brotherhood books by J.R. Ward, though they are a bit more graphic than Laurel K. Hamilton's books.

:iagree:I love these series!

Anne Bishop's Dark Jewels series is really good, as well as Kim Harrison's Hollows series.

I am struggling b/c I tend to like authors that write pretty heavy (Margaret Atwood, Toni Morrison, etc). . . and I don't think that'd be great baby-bonding-hormonal reading!

I think Isabel Allende would be super. It's quality literature, but it's not generally depressing either. Some great stories!

Kate Atkinson, esp Behind the Scenes at the Museum

Alice Munro

A.S. Byatt, her new book, Ragnarok, is wonderful

Jane Urquhart, esp The Underpainter

Amy Tan

Jhumpa Lahiri

Tracy Chevalier, esp Girl with a Pearl Earring, and Falling Angels

Eudora Welty

Julia Alvarez- In the Time of Butterflies

Cristina Garcia- Dreaming in Cuban

Harriet Scott Chessman- Lydia Cassatt Reading the Morning Paper

;) Try Kristin Lavransdattar. By Singrid Unset

I like Margarite Yourcenar, esp. the Memoirs of Hadrian and The Abyss, both historical novels. Yourcenar spent many years traveling to the places Hadrian went and reading what he read and wrote, in the original.

If you want fun and entertainment, we were just discussing THe Egg and I on another thread.

Dorothy Sayers!!!!

For bucolic fiction of the British type, I recommend Miss Read. Yes, Miss. She wrote about small town British life from the mid 1950s on. Sweet, but not saccharine. Perfect post-baby reading, IMO. Her series about Thrush Green is multi book, and just delightful.

Am I the first to suggest Agatha Christie? Her books are light fun reading, there's always a twist, and usually they have a happy ending.

Elizabeth Ironside (modern British mysteries)

Ellis Peters (Brother Cadfael and other books)

Americans: :)

Anne Tyler

Anne Fadiman, "Ex Libris"

Firoozeh Dumas, "Funny in Farsi"

Dorothy L. Sayers (esp. the Lord Peter/Harriet Vane series--begin with Strong Poison)--mysteries that are more "literature" than "genre", so to speak

Dorothy Parker--short stories, acerbic wit, can be a mild downer if you read too many in one sitting

Hester Browne (Little Lady series)--Brit chick lit

Ruth Rendell--suspense, mystery

Anne Lamott She writes nonfiction about her life--single mom, often hilarious, a little "inappropriate" if you are super conservative, but she's a Christian and came to faith after some rough life experiences. Traveling Mercies and Bird by Bird are my favorites.

Beloved and The Bluest Eye are by Toni Morrison. Her writing in Beloved is so beautiful.

I also like Ann Voskamp, but she's an aquired tast to some.

Elizabeth Peters - her series with Amelia Peabody!

Jan Karon

Jane Austen

Dorothy Sayers

Anne Perry (her Pitt and Monk series)

Pearl S. Buck

Betty Smith (not just A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - she wrote more!)

Barbara Pym - try Excellent Women

older anthologies of columns by Erma Bombeck also fun light reading.

Barbara Kingsolver. I love everything she's written, but my absolute faves are The Poisonwood Bible and The Bean Trees.

Speaking of post-partum reads...a friend of mine brought me The Bean Trees while I was recovering in the hospital after the birth of my son. Good read. I:) I've never actively sought out a Barbara Kingsolver book. Usually, someone passes me a copy. But I've never been disapointed.

I just finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, which I really enjoyed. Very visual; absolutely beautiful, actually, with several great characters.

I'll also third or fourth Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series--fun stuff--as well as the spin-off Lord John series (Outlander is a bit of everything; the Lord John books are more mystery).