Menu

What's the best book you've read this year?

We are more than 1/4th of the way through this year, and I thought I'd ask what's the best book you've read this year?

I read the Hunger Games trilogy, and so far, those are my favorite. I'm not going to count those, though, because it was my 2nd time reading them, lol.

I am now reading The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant, and it is fabulous!! I am loving it. Someone here recommended it; thanks!!

And you?

For nonfiction, definitely The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Made me think but kept me engaged with a good story.

For fiction, so far it's The Night Circus, which was lovely and romantic and evocative.

For YA... I don't know. Probably Divergent, which is the dystopian YA book that has reminded me most of The Hunger Games so far.

Ds and I read Hunger Games last week. I can't wait until dh gets paid so I can go buy the sequels, but it doesn't qualify for my favorite. I love the story, can't wait to see the movie, but the writing...I don't know...maybe I should start a spin off because there were a few things that made me go "meh". :lurk5:

I read my rough draft from Nanowrimo this week as well. It's rough but not bad for a draft. It's probably the best first draft I've written. It has potential. So maybe that's my favorite, but it's not something anyone else will be able to read soon.

I think The Two Towers is my favorite published work so far this year. We start The Return of the King this week. Two Towers really pulled me in, it was just what I need to read in so many ways. Chapter 4 The Riders of Rohan is my favorite. These are some of my favorite quotes:

"To hope, maybe, but not to toil," said Aragorn. "We shall not turn back here. Yet I am weary."

Aragorn, "But when the great fall, the less must lead."

Aragorn, "There are some things that is it better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

I've actually read quite a few great books so far this year. My faves up to this point are:

Colony by Hugo Wilcken (haunting tale of shifting reality in the French tropics)

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (gorgeous, beautiful descriptions)

Zeroville by Steve Erickson (razor sharp, dark humor in an outragous take on Hollywood movie land)

The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall (what if a metaphysical shark was devouring your memories...?)

I'll also put Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling as my YA pick. (I don't usually read much YA, but must include Harry here.)

Runners-up/other great reads so far this year:

Cooking with Fernet Branca by James Hamilton-Paterson (funny!)

The Nun by Simonetta Agnello Hornby (if you like detailed historical fiction)

Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (gritty & strong)

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (noir western)

In a Strange Room by Damon Galgut (almost hallocinogenic, haunting travel tales/memoir)

None of my reading this year has been heavy, except on YA lit. :)

I read the Hunger Games trilogy and absolutely adore them - enough so that I read it a second time as soon as I finished the first time!

Keturah and Lord Death is the other book that has hooked me this year.

Books that I've read for the first time this year?

Non-fiction:

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy

Fiction:

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Popular Fiction:

Game of Thrones (the five books, collectively)

YA Fiction:

The Hunger Games (the three books, collectively)

I downloaded The Night Circus on my Nook, but I haven't read it yet.

Elegant- is this your first time reading LOTR? How exciting!! I don't even know how many times I've read them.

I've read a ton of good books this year but recent faves were:

Cold Comfort Farm, by Stella Gibbons--slyly funny and great British fun, plus teaches a really valuable life lesson.

Island of the Lost, by Joan Druett--fantastic writer's historical account of a shipwreck back in whaling days--how the survivors stayed alive and took charge of their own fates is both incredible and inspiring. Really don't know if anyone could pull it off today--certainly not the folks on "Survivor".

Orphans of the Living: Stories of America's Children in Foster Care, by Jennifer Toth. Heartbreaking, absolutely, but great reporting on what life is like for these children, who are all around us but largely go unseen and underserved to a degree you can't even imagine.

Elegant- is this your first time reading LOTR? How exciting!! I don't even know how many times I've read them.

Amazingly yes. Ds and I are enjoying it so much. I have no clue why I never bothered to read them. We each have our own copy, that way mine will never get confiscated.

This is the second website today where I've seen this book mentioned!

Not sure... none have been life changing reads yet here. Probably my favorite so far is "The Language of Flowers" by Vanessa Diffenbaugh.

It touched me more deeply than any book I've ever read. My best friend recommended it. It is not only the best book I've read this year, it's one of my favorites.

One of my reading goals is to read through all of the Man Booker Fiction winners in order of win. So far, I've read through to 1981 and Rushdie's Midnight's Children.

A. Mazing.

Oh, a worthy goal! Love it. I've read quite a few Man Bookers (winners & nominees) & really enjoyed them.

Hammer of God by Bo Giertz

I found it on this booklist at the Writing Rhetorically blog where the author says, "It is a collection of stories, almost reminiscent of Dostoyevsky’s tone, that tells the same truth throughout: true faith is a balance of Law and Gospel. I loved this book and highly recommend it to all."

I loved it, too.

Half of a Yellow Sun, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (A flavoursome account of the Nigerian/Biafran war)

and

Tarka the Otter, Henry Williamson (wonderfully rich language, though I don't know what most of the terrain words are.) I'm pretty excited though. I got to meet an estuary on the weekend.

:)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

So far I have enjoyed "State of Wonder" by Anne Patchett. I haven't read much this year, usually by this time I have 3 or 4 favourites. It is slim pickings this year. :D

I liked State of Wonder, too. I haven't read much this year, yet, but so far one of the books I'm currently reading is my favorite- Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.

I can't remember! I read a bunch of books I was going to assign dd if we homeschooled, but nothing stands out. I reread Girl of The Limberlost and loved it.

I read most of Over Sea, Under Stone about a year ago--rich language, beautiful!

Read Hunger Games and Mockingjay and liked them.

Oh--Loved One Thousand Gifts. Prob my fav.

As I always do when we have a book thread, I'm taking notes, lol. I just cannot get in to many books lately. I don't know what's up with me.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was really great.

I tried so hard to read this book last year. I know everyone says to give it 80-100 pages, but I just couldn't. Maybe I'll try it again.

Amazingly yes. Ds and I are enjoying it so much. I have no clue why I never bothered to read them. We each have our own copy, that way mine will never get confiscated.

I have to admit that I have never read it either:leaving:

need to go check out paperback swap right now so I am not run off the board.:tongue_smilie:

As I always do when we have a book thread, I'm taking notes, lol. I just cannot get in to many books lately. I don't know what's up with me.

I tried so hard to read this book last year. I know everyone says to give it 80-100 pages, but I just couldn't. Maybe I'll try it again.

Yes it is very disjointed and does not make sense at first but it was well worth it I promise!

I am now reading The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant, and it is fabulous!! I am loving it.

You might also enjoy another of her books: In the Company of the Courtesan.

A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell

Looks good but heartbreaking. I loved The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. Have you read that one?

The Housekeeper and the Professor.

On my to-read list....

Confessions of a Pagan Nun.

Oh, goody. My library has this one.

Half of a Yellow Sun, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (A flavoursome account of the Nigerian/Biafran war)

and

Tarka the Otter, Henry Williamson (wonderfully rich language, though I don't know what most of the terrain words are.) I'm pretty excited though. I got to meet an estuary on the weekend.

Half of a Yellow Sun is on my to-read list too. And :lol: about meeting an estuary this weekend. Did you & the estuary get along? ;):001_smile:

so far one of the books I'm currently reading is my favorite- Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.

One of my favorites! A wonderful, rich book.

American Gods, by Neil Gaiman

It was very strange, but I enjoyed it. We actually bought a copy (I get everything from the library).

I'm like you. I get most everything from the library (at least, books for myself). It has to be really super special for me to buy it. (This year, I've bought a copy of The Night Circus after reading it because I thought dd would enjoy reading it too.)

As I always do when we have a book thread, I'm taking notes, lol.

Me too. I always love threads like this. And, my to-read list grows, and grows, and grows.... :001_smile:

My favorite book so far this year is The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton.

I read one of her books last year, The House at Riverton, I think it was, and I was disappointed. I knew what was going to happen by about 1/4 of the way through. Have you read it? I'm just wondering if The Forgotten Garden is similar.

Suprisingly enough, I actually Found The Hunger Games a let down, the movie wasn't that brilliant either. *waiting for the tomatoes*

Yes, it was interesting, but loving the dystopian/post-apocalyptic world novels, and finding one that hit the mainstream "big time" I was expecting something better.

I honestly can't remember books I have read strictly in 2012, because I tend to go on "reading binges" and could easily read 1-3 books a day (or more if they are short)

But among some of the more outstanding ones in a genre similar to "Hunger Games" would be:

Enclave -Ann Aguirre

WELCOME TO THE APOCALYPSE In Deuce's world, people earn the right to a name only if they survive their first fifteen years. By that point, each unnamed 'brat' has trained into one of three groups-Breeders, Builders, or Hunters, identifiable by the number of scars they bear on their arms. Deuce has wanted to be a Huntress for as long as she can remember.

As a Huntress, her purpose is clear--to brave the dangerous tunnels outside the enclave and bring back meat to feed the group while evading ferocious monsters known as Freaks. She's worked toward this goal her whole life, and nothing's going to stop her, not even a beautiful, brooding Hunter named Fade. When the mysterious boy becomes her partner, Deuce's troubles are just beginning.

Birthmarked - Carragh M O'Brien

In a dystopian world of the future, apprentice midwife Gaia, who has served the Enclave faithfully along with her parents, is thrust suddenly into a crisis. She delivers her first baby independently of her midwife mother and takes it to the Enclave inside the Wall as the first of her monthly quota of three newborns. Then her parents are arrested and she learns that they will soon be executed. Gaia springs into action and smuggles herself into the Enclave to rescue them. What follows is an exciting, almost breakneck adventure, as Gaia tries to discover what information the Enclave wants from her and her mother and tries to save both of them from prison. Along the way there is a mildly romantic turn to the story as Gaia develops a friendship and attraction to one of the soldiers, a man with a mysterious past. This world is one in which a small society, composed of an elite inside the Wall and a subservient class outside, is completely cut off from knowledge of anyone or anything outside of its borders. The rulers are authoritarian and mysterious and resemble a monarchy rather than the strictly ideological communitarian system in Lois Lowry's The Giver (Houghton, 1993)

Pure - Julianna Baggott

We know you are here, our brothers and sisters . . .

Pressia barely remembers the Detonations or much about life during the Before. In her sleeping cabinet behind the rubble of an old barbershop where she lives with her grandfather, she thinks about what is lost-how the world went from amusement parks, movie theaters, birthday parties, fathers and mothers . . . to ash and dust, scars, permanent burns, and fused, damaged bodies. And now, at an age when everyone is required to turn themselves over to the militia to either be trained as a soldier or, if they are too damaged and weak, to be used as live targets, Pressia can no longer pretend to be small. Pressia is on the run.

Burn a Pure and Breathe the Ash . . .

There are those who escaped the apocalypse unmarked. Pures. They are tucked safely inside the Dome that protects their....

Incarceron - Catherine Fisher

Incarceron - a futuristic prison, sealed from view, where the descendants of the original prisoners live in a dark world torn by rivalry and savagery. It is a terrifying mix of high technology - a living building which pervades the novel as an ever-watchful, ever-vengeful character, and a typical medieval torture chamber - chains, great halls, dungeons. A young prisoner, Finn, has haunting visions of an earlier life, and cannot believe he was born here and has always been here. In the outer world, Claudia, daughter of the Warden of Incarceron, is trapped in her own form of prison - a futuristic world constructed beautifully to look like a past era, an imminent marriage she dreads. She knows nothing of Incarceron, except that it exists. But there comes a moment when Finn, inside Incarceron, and Claudia, outside, simultaneously find a device - a crystal key, through which they can talk to each other. And so the plan for Finn's escape is born ...

Sapphique - Catherine Fisher

Sequel to Incarceron

The Host - Stephanie Meyer (Author of Twilight,)

NOT VAMPIRE RELATED Book. LOL. Just wanted to add that. There has been talk of the movie coming out for it. Sort of similar to a modern day Body Snatchers.

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed.

Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves-Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.

Those are the ones that immediately stuck in my head. I've probably read all of them in the past year, just not sure when.....I KEEP MEANING to keep a book journal....but somehow it never works out. I may have to add an app to my phone lol. I read wayyyy too much. And I have definitely decided I hate series....I hate waiting for the next one to come out, I hate cliffhangers, unfortunately nearly every book these days is part of a series, as publishers can get much more money out of chopping a 400 page book up into a 4 series book. :glare:

Unbroken by Hillenbrand. Amazing. Non-fiction that reads like a novel. truly inspiring.

:iagree: This was going to be my pick as well.

As a read aloud with the kids I would have to say "The Magician's Nephew". I have never read the entire Narnia series and I am really loving it.

Oh, and I really loved reading "Onward" by Howard Schultz. I am a huge Starbucks fan, so I felt inspired reading about them.

The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. They are the first two of what I have heard is going to be a trilogy (the Kingkiller Chronicles), but Patrick, if you're listening, I need more than three books. Need. :tongue_smilie:

Actually, I guess I read these last year. I'm in a bit of a rut this year. I think I've complained about everything I've read so far. *sigh* I don't like most popular fiction (though I did really like the George R.R. Martin series and the Hunger Games trilogy). I don't like "the" novel...you know, the modern or modern-ish novel about people and their lives and relationships. I have no idea how to describe it. I usually go for fantasy, sometimes science fiction. I am feeling wholly unsatisfied lately.

The one that comes to mind for me is The Same Kind of Different as Me. This book hit me hard, and I think about it often. It's non-fiction that reads like a novel.

For fiction, I really enjoyed Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.

Unbroken by Hillenbrand. Amazing. Non-fiction that reads like a novel. truly inspiring.

I'm listening to this now and loving it! I'm up several times at night nursing a newborn and I keep listening on my ipod even when the baby falls back to sleep. This book is costing me precious rest right now!

Hammer of God by Bo Giertz

I found it on this booklist at the Writing Rhetorically blog where the author says, "It is a collection of stories, almost reminiscent of Dostoyevsky’s tone, that tells the same truth throughout: true faith is a balance of Law and Gospel. I loved this book and highly recommend it to all."

I loved it, too.

I read The Hammer of God about 10 years ago. It was a great book and I think of it often.