Menu

What is your, "What's The Big Deal?" curriculum?

WIS0320

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right Start Math - Teaching this just about drove me crazy.

Singapore Math - Hated all of the different books. Did not like having to figure out how to teach it. Just didn't click with me.

We love MM here! So easy to use and understand!

TOG - The jury is still out on this one.

SOTW - We are loving this.

NOEO - Not impressed.

Apologia Astronomy - Surprisingly, we are loving this.

Spelling Workout - I really wanted this to work but it was too much writing for my two 6 YO's.

AAS - The boys love it; I'm OK with it but I have tweaked it.

:lol:

This is my next step: admitting that I will never be CM. The first step is selling the Nature Handbook. At this time I can't even take the first step. I just KNOW that NEXT year will be the year for me! We are going to do the composer studies, and artist studies, and watercolor in our nature notebooks! And then, we will come inside and sit by the fire and do handiworks!

Always next year!

Don't judge the entire Primary Math series by 1A/B because those are by far the weakest. Singapore gets much, much better after 1B!

Yes! I love Singapore but I have used a different program for the 1A/1B level and then start Singapore with 2A.

Just finished reading the whole thread, and now I'll chime in with mine:

I don't think I like curriculum that is like, say, Elemental Science, where it reads more like a bunch of lesson plans: "Read p10 in that book. Then go do the experiment on p.20 in the other book. Then do some of your own research on that topic," etc. Is Sonlight like that??

We got bored really fast with Easy Grammar, but I don't consider that a "big deal" curriculum because I rarely hear people raving about it.

We hated Writing Strands almost immediately, although I know lots of people love it.

I really loved AAS at first, but after a couple years, and looking back, I'm not sure much was truly learned and retained. I kinda feel like we wasted our time and money with that one.

And just from what I've seen and heard about them, I don't think I would like KONOS, HOD, or Miquon.

beast academy:leaving:

i looked it at because there were 50 threads raving with excitement, but for me, i just didn't see what the big fuss was about. it's really cute, and could possibly make math more engaging, but i just didn't feel the love.

i hated 100EZ lessons. nuff said there;).

i looked it at because there were 50 threads raving with excitement, but for me, i just didn't see what the big fuss was about. it's really cute, and could possibly make math more engaging, but i just didn't feel the love.

To be fair, only one of the books is particularly cute (the "guide"). The practice book (workbook) is pretty much like a regular workbook. It's black and white on newsprint type paper and has lots of problems; it has the beasts on the pages at the top, offering hints, not unlike the cartoon children in Singapore's Primary Math.

(The appeal, to me, is about the type of problems, rather than the comic book format or appearance. However, my son reads all manner of recreational math books on his own time, so he has been reading and rereading the Beast Academy guide along with other such books, such as The Number Devil and books by Johnny Ball and Marilyn Burns.)

AAS. *ducking tomatoes* I've seen the books regularly at Half Price Books. Occasionally when I'm there I will flip through one to make sure I'm not missing something so amazing my feeble mind just can't grasp. I put it back on the shelf, not "getting" it, every time.

AiG God's Design science series. Y.a.w.n. They're written at the high end of the grade spectrum they tout it as, but barely have enough meat for the lower end of that spectrum. :confused:

HOD. It just looks like public-school/group-learning-at-home. When I first read through the samples, I *knew* that the author had been a classroom teacher, and that she had not allowed homeschooling to rehabilitate her (them? Is there more than one author?) If I had managed to overcome my dislike of the methodology and tried to do it with my dc, they would have just looked at me like this :blink: and waited for me to come to my senses so we could do the *real* stuff.

WriteShop. I cannot imagine any circumstances where I could possibly make that work.

Not a great fan of IEW, either, but it doesn't hurt my eyeballs the way that WriteShop does.

HOD. It just looks like public-school/group-learning-at-home. When I first read through the samples, I *knew* that the author had been a classroom teacher, and that she had not allowed homeschooling to rehabilitate her (them? Is there more than one author?) If I had managed to overcome my dislike of the methodology and tried to do it with my dc, they would have just looked at me like this :blink: and waited for me to come to my senses so we could do the *real* stuff.

I am going to defend HOD a bit as I was public schooled and know that HOD is nothing like that. I don't remember living books being apart of public school, dictation or narration. Bible Study was not included, nor where hands on projects. I would have loved the notebooking assignments on those gorgeous pages or the classical music studies. Poetry would have been amazing as well. I really can't think of anything in HOD that is public school like at all. What did you see that made you think that? (By the way, we have used 4 of their guides so I am very familiar with it.)

I am going to defend HOD a bit as I was public schooled and know that HOD is nothing like that. I don't remember living books being apart of public school, dictation or narration. Bible Study was not included, nor where hands on projects. I would have loved the notebooking assignments on those gorgeous pages or the classical music studies. Poetry would have been amazing as well. I really can't think of anything in HOD that is public school like at all. What did you see that made you think that? (By the way, we have used 4 of their guides so I am very familiar with it.)

What notebook pages?????. What did I miss??? I had Preparing, and had to make up ALL. My own notebook pages which turned into way too much work for me. My kids were enjoying HOD, but I couldn't make 2 programs work for me....I chose to stick with Sonlight for this year...but, if there are notebook pages.....hmmmmmm.....

Spelling Power - I can't even fathom spending the amount of time to read through the TM in order to teach this. It is spelling, after all. I have to give too much in too many other subjects to spend the time to read through it and then be that involved!

Considering God's Creation - I wanted to like it, but soooo much cutting and pasting!!

This thread has been very entertaining. But it also made me want to stand up for various curricula that were getting picked on. ;)

For me reading threads like these is as painful as reading the "what classic literature do you think is over-rated?" threads :D

Moby Dick and Beast Academy rock! :lol:

Bill

MFW...see above. Required so much supplementation by me, it was worthless. The science, in particular, was abysmal.

:iagree: The science was really sad!! I like MFW for certain years. I LOVE their focus on missions, but I've taught myself a lot about implementing that, so I don't need it as much anymore! I think their 5-year cycle is better implemented with 3rd-6th graders, 7th at the maximum. 8th grade is just too old for it, IMO. It's also just not as large-family friendly as I thought it would be. The future would have had me running too many TMs in one year for my taste.

What notebook pages?????. What did I miss??? I had Preparing, and had to make up ALL. My own notebook pages which turned into way too much work for me. My kids were enjoying HOD, but I couldn't make 2 programs work for me....I chose to stick with Sonlight for this year...but, if there are notebook pages.....hmmmmmm.....

The notebooking pages are available for Creation to Christ levels on up and they are GORGEOUS!

The notebooking pages are available for Creation to Christ levels on up and they are GORGEOUS!

http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/CTCSamplePagesNoteBook.pdf

You don't need to defend it. This is a thread about things that we don't care for. :)

The whole tone of HOD is classroom oriented (whether it's public school or private, Christian school). That trade books are used instead of textbooks is irrelevant. That Bible study is included is irrelevant. That notebooking pages and poetry are included is irrelevant. I taught in a classroom, and I can tell you that what I see in HOD is just like that, and it is not how I teach my dc at home. :)

I'm glad HOD works for you, but it is ok that it wouldn't work for me. :)

You don't need to defend it. This is a thread about things that we don't care for. :)

The whole tone of HOD is classroom oriented (whether it's public school or private, Christian school). That trade books are used instead of textbooks is irrelevant. That Bible study is included is irrelevant. That notebooking pages and poetry are included is irrelevant. I taught in a classroom, and I can tell you that what I see in HOD is just like that, and it is not how I teach my dc at home. :)

What do you mean by the tone? I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. I have homeschooled for 12 years, used many different curricula and I honestly don't see what you are talking about. I am really curious what you are talking about. Can you give an example of what you are talking about?

I would say that she organizes it more schoolish, i.e. each subject has a key idea, but I don't see anything beyond that. I am not trying to attack you, I just wanted to clarify that HOD is not what you described. I also would love to understand your POV.

This thread has been very entertaining. But it also made me want to stand up for various curricula that were getting picked on. ;)

Yes, some of my favorites have been hit hard in this thread and I want to keep jumping in and defending them. But, I realize that there are many great programs that just aren't a good fit for everyone. We all have different needs and I just have to keep reminding myself of that.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

For me reading threads like these is as painful as reading the "what classic literature do you think is over-rated?" threads :D

Moby Dick and Beast Academy rock! :lol:

Bill

Oh, I know! I avoid those threads because people bash on books I adore, and it makes me sad. Yes, I'm that attached to certain books. :)

This thread is hilarious!

Ok...

Rightstart math K...how the heck do you have kids "see" 5 if they can't count it first. Drove me insane and made dd math phobic. Gives me hives to think about it.

I agree with the Nature Study book by Comstock. Good thing I paid $2 for it at the used curric. fair.

Apologia Science. What young child can read these technical words and not drift off to sleep? Definitely for older ages.

MFW...loved K hated the rest. We were never on level. The books seemed to encompass all age groups but the age group it was for.

R&S English. God help any child who has to use this. It's like kicking a dead horse. I'd rather have a root canal.

Sonlight. Sold it.

HOD has awesome notebook pages starting at the CtC level! My dd was so jealous when she did Preparing and ds did CtC with the COOL notebook pages! They are super high quality :D

Don't judge the entire Primary Math series by 1A/B because those are by far the weakest. Singapore gets much, much better after 1B!

That is a relief to hear. Because right now as it stands, DD7 thinks it is boring and I'm underwhelmed by it. Maybe we'll give it one more year.

But if I sell my Nature Study Handbook that I never use and probably never will use, I will never be CM. I WANT to be CM. By getting rid of the out-of-date handbook, I am admitting that I AM a nature study failure. If it remains on my shelf, there is the hope that one day I will take my children outside and they will come across something really interesting, we will look it up in the book, and watercolor a page about it and I will finally earn my CM badge.

:lol: My book is sitting prominently on our shelves. I picked it up once and it has been sitting there ever since. I keep hoping that *next* year it will entice me more.

Nothing new to add from pp...

For me it has been:

FIAR - just could not get over reading the same book for 5 days. My kids would create a mutiny if I did.

First Language Lessons - opened it up and just couldn't get going with it

100ez Lessons - hated the scripting; Phonics Pathway is to the point and a much better fit!

ARTistic Pursuits - I wanted to like this so much! I need something like this or art won't be done and I like the attention to famous artwork. We have PS, K-3, and JH Book 1 here and none of them has really wowed any one here. Kids are "meh" about it.

Discovery Streaming Spanish programs - especially the middle school ones *yawn*

And then the math programs...

Math Mammoth - the layout and description of how to do things just don't work for me or my oldest. I *made* her do Clocks and Money and she hated it. She much prefers MUS.

BJU Math - those clowns scare my kids

MEP Math - this one confuses me

RightStart Al Abacus Math - another math program doesn't really click with us

Saxon Math - meh... looks so boring. And spiral programs do not work well here.

MUS Primer level - I can't complain about the rest of the series since it has helped my ADHD DD1 so much! But Primer was a waste of time.

... Math is my hardest subject to like. I'm so picky! :tongue_smilie:

Those of you that have tried HOD and didn't get what all the fuss was about, tell me, did you use a program below Preparing? I really think HOD isn't a strong praise worthy program until you get to Preparing. Is there anyone who tried HOD Preparing on up and didn't get what all the fuss was about?

I agree with this. I am supplementing HOD to death in the younger years, but I still like it as a basis to work from because the hands-on component is so easy to do and I like the little things that are in there that you don't see at first glance (e.g., the ball work in LHFHG while learning scriptures was actually very helpful for my dd). It seems that HOD really picks up steam in Preparing on up. The feedback in the upper level programs is that they are quite full and intense. It's kind of unfortunate that these lower levels don't encourage people to stick around because I think it is actually going to turn out to be quite a rigorous program in the long-run.

Kathy

I have to say I agree from the samples I have seen and what I have read online. I have not actually held it in my hands, but I was very turned off by this aspect of it.

BJU Math - those clowns scare my kids
This is hysterical!!! And SO TRUE! My son did not like the clown, either. I can't even remember what level that was, but when I pulled out the little cute paper clown puppet, he had a melt down. Thanks for reminding me of that! :lol:

P.S. And I love BJU elementary math...minus the clown.

why did I just read through each.and.every.post?

These type of threads period are not for the weak - only for the strong.

Don't come here looking to justify your choices or change what you have planned!

It would be ever so helpful if people listed WHY something underwhelmed them then it would makes sense why one may love something someone else doesn't. But I know that would take way too long (especially if you have a long list).

With that said....I was underwhelmed with TOG (too much planning from different sources) which means I am a list checker so of course I love MFW:D

Does anyone really use any one curriculum exclusively and implement it exactly the way it is written? NO of course we don't. MFW is my launching pad and I go down rabbit trails often but always come back to the grid.

I haven't heard these mentioned: Veritas Press, Teaching Textbooks, BJU, Abeka,

why did I just read through each.and.every.post?

I haven't heard these mentioned: Veritas Press, Teaching Textbooks, BJU, Abeka,

It would be helpful to know which levels too! But anyway, nor was CLE mentioned.

Seems the basic textbook is just that. Perhaps we already know what they are and what they entail, unlike the newest neatest! Interesting.

What do you mean by the tone? I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. I have homeschooled for 12 years, used many different curricula and I honestly don't see what you are talking about. I am really curious what you are talking about. Can you give an example of what you are talking about?

I would say that she organizes it more schoolish, i.e. each subject has a key idea, but I don't see anything beyond that. I am not trying to attack you, I just wanted to clarify that HOD is not what you described. I also would love to understand your POV.

It's ok if you don't know what I'm talking about. You like HOD. I don't. The world is big enough for both of us.

And yes, to *me* HOD is what I described. Let's agree that we each have different POV and move on, k? :)

My list:

Wordly Wise and similar vocabulary programs. Boring waste of time.

Sonlight. Really don't like programs like this even though we love to read.

Math Mammoth. Ugh.

Writing Strands and many other writing curricula. I'd rather poke my eyes out than ask my child to do such uninspiring busy work.

Truthquest - Just no, on many levels.

Elemental Science Grammar levels.

I guess I am pretty opinionated. LOL

Edited by mamatohaleybug

CC - spending that much money to give over part of your homeschool to someone else, memorizing a bunch of things out of context.

AAR - so many cheaper alternatives that are actually complete. Even my child who didn't pick up reading on his own would have probably been bored with it. :tongue_smilie:

Rightstart - too much "stuff", and like a PP, I think kids should be capable of counting 5 before learning what "5 objects" looks like. I had a whole thread a while back about this, discussing how I'd like my child to be able to see via counting that 5+3=8 instead of just being told that 5+3=8. The people that are the loudest about not memorizing facts by rote without understanding "why" were also the loudest saying RS was so awesome in that it teaches the kids to "see" this, yet it's just rote memorization of 5+3=8! :confused: I did the lessons with my son, and he wasn't getting it, and it wasn't teaching "why". It was straight rote memorization of facts. We switched to Singapore EM K, broke out the C-rods, and discovered why 5+3=8, by counting, seeing, and any other method we could think of. My son knows that 5+3=8 AND he knows why AND he can see it. ;) Cost me all of about $30 to get that (2 workbooks and a bucket o' rods).

Of course, several programs I use have been listed. We just switched to Sonlight and LOVE IT. We switched to Singapore last winter and LOVE IT. We have Beast Academy and LOVE IT (it's harder than Singapore IP!). :D So glad there are so many choices!

Oy vey!!! I switch around stuff because I go nuts teaching the same stuff year after year. I need to shake it up....

My meh stuff....

Math Mammoth...blah....

Mystery of History....that was a bummer.

Oh, years ago...The Weaver Curriculum. That was all the rage for a while...

Sadly that's my opinion about math mammoth as well. We continue to use it but soon it'll only be supplemental use only since we're switching to TT.

Sorry, Jessie Wise, but OPGTR and FLL...yawn. We struggled through half of OPGTR...i wanted it to work because it was so simple. But it bored us to tears.

Us too!! OPGTR made my kids cringe!

For me it is,

FIAR, tried it twice and don't get the appeal.

Sonlight, Overpriced glorified book list.

Considering God's Creation, I don't get how it can be called CM. It is just a boring black and white textbook with tons of worksheets.

I didn't get HOD either until I bought it and now I love it.;)

I couldn't agree more! What a waste of a year of science. So glad when we quit.

Oh boy, I may risk death here for this one, but:

Apologia, especially for younger ages.

I totally don't get this, the narrow focus for an entire year, the overkill on grade level, everything about it I just don't like. There, I said it, I will protect myself from the flying tomatoes :-)

There are others though:

Sonlight - I agree with everyone's posts here about it being a glorified booklist. So please tell me WHY then do I want to do it so badly even though I think it is far too expensive. That catalog has me drooling every time, even though we'll never go with it.

Any Vocabulary Only Program/Wordly Wise - If you are doing a lot of reading, if you are doing spelling, why in the world do you need something strictly for vocabulary??? Don't kill me, but I find it to be a waste of time if you are doing other things well that also build vocabulary.

MFW - Is it not also a glorified book list? I get the time saving factor, but is it really a "curriculum"?

Cindy

Yes! yes! I wil join you in your opinion! I bought the first 5 books and halfway through the first book I wanted to poke my eyes and my kids would want to sleep because of the word-iness of the curriculum.

:lol: Thank you for giving me the courage to finally sell it! I've owned mine for years and I think it's only been opened once. I was so underwhelmed yet overwhelmed all at the same time.

My list:

Miquon. I just didn't get it. Talk about a flop for my family!

Kumon workbooks. Boring with a capital B.

TOG for younger kids. Great for older kids but so not worth it for youngers, IMHO.

MUS (my kids got 3-4 years behind in math!)

FLL-loved it for awhile, but my kids did not retain any of it.

MM

Rosetta Stone

Sequential Spelling. I don't know how they think the kid is supposed to learn those words, but it just sucked the life out of my dd.

We like so many on everyone else's list-Sonlight, Saxon, Singapore, BFSU. :lol:

Kumon still sits unused on our shelf! Bleh!

Sequential Spelling made me cringe and I love spelling!! So glad when we switched away from this program. My kids were learning to spell like in public school...from a list! Ewwwwww.

Well, I have typically used Sonlight, so I may have a different bent than you do, but can I ask what you use for vocabulary?

My kids need it. They don't care for WW, but they don't really care for much!

Dawn

My list:

Wordly Wise and similar vocabulary programs. Boring waste of time.

Sonlight. Really don't like programs like this even though we love to read.

Math Mammoth. Ugh.

Writing Strands and many other writing curricula. I'd rather poke my eyes out than ask my child to do such uninspiring busy work.

Truthquest - Just no, on many levels.

Elemental Science Grammar levels.

I guess I am pretty opinionated. LOL

Well, I have typically used Sonlight, so I may have a different bent than you do, but can I ask what you use for vocabulary?

My kids need it. They don't care for WW, but they don't really care for much!

Dawn

I can relate to the bolded part above. :lol:

We don't use a formal vocabulary program at all. We just learn vocabulary through our normal academic subjects, mostly history, science, literature and geography. It's the natural way that most people pick up vocabulary and it works really well with my DD.

The vocabulary curricula I looked at were all odd to me. DD already knew most of the words. I don't like that the words aren't learned in any real-life context. I don't know, just seemed so unnatural to me. *shrug* We tried multiple programs before ditching vocab as a subject.

BTW, I love Sonlight as a booklist. I drool over the catalog. I just want to plan my curriculum to exactly meet the needs of my child (many special needs, including standardized neuropsychological testing with areas ranging from 2%ile to 98%ile) so most programs that other people tend to love are automatically knocked out. Scripted, planned out = not for us.

Ok, please don't throw anything at me::leaving:

Sonlight: expensive list of books with little memorable results (for kids)

AAS: too expensive $300+ for a spelling program 1-7

AAR: no I am not paying for it even if it has a puppet. I can buy you one for $5. There are so many more effective programs that are complete for so much less

HOD: I don't get it.

So interesting that you say that because a couple of days ago that crossed my mind.....just making sure to incorporate vocabulary more deliberately. I do it anyway, but having some sort of SAT type list to work off of might really help as my oldest gets into high school work next year.

Dawn

I can relate to the bolded part above. :lol:

We don't use a formal vocabulary program at all. We just learn vocabulary through our normal academic subjects, mostly history, science, literature and geography. It's the natural way that most people pick up vocabulary and it works really well with my DD.

The vocabulary curricula I looked at were all odd to me. DD already knew most of the words. I don't like that the words aren't learned in any real-life context. I don't know, just seemed so unnatural to me. *shrug* We tried multiple programs before ditching vocab as a subject.

BTW, I love Sonlight as a booklist. I drool over the catalog. I just want to plan my curriculum to exactly meet the needs of my child (many special needs, including standardized neuropsychological testing with areas ranging from 2%ile to 98%ile) so most programs that other people tend to love are automatically knocked out. Scripted, planned out = not for us.

Great thread! :) Mine are:

HOD - I agree with Ellie about it being kind of schoolish. Especially DITHOR, I only lasted about 1 week with that. I used HOD for 3 years until I finally realized that I was completely underwhelmed with its rigor. Admittedly, part of the problem is that I think I am just too ecclectic at heart to make an all-in-one curriculum work for me. :)

Singapore - I am just not sold on the whole asian conceptual math thing. My older son used Singapore for several years and I never understood what the big deal was. It was weird. It felt incomplete to me with the lack of drill, lack of review, and lack of good teacher's notes (I cannot stand those HIG's). That child now uses R&S math and contrary to popular belief, the conceptual teaching *is* there, it's just given in smaller doses. R&S explains things sooo much better IMO, things are much clearer. I daresay I think he actually understands math *better* now with R&S.