Menu

What's With the 80's Stuff?

While at the mall, I was disturbed by the amount of neon colors I saw. I don't mind happy, bright summer colors, but we are talking straight from the 80's neon orange, green, yellow, pink, blue. It was everywhere!:w00t:

I also saw ads on the internet the other day for monchichi monkey dolls and a new Garbage Pail Kids movie. The 80's is totally not a decade I want to go through again!

The 80's is totally not a decade I want to go through again!

That's what I said about the 70's when some of those fashions came back. :lol:

My mom always said these things go in 20 year cycles, so it's a little past time for the 80's to return. They (the fashion people) change things just enough for the younger set to think it's all new.

While at the mall, I was disturbed by the amount of neon colors I saw. I don't mind happy, bright summer colors, but we are talking straight from the 80's neon orange, green, yellow, pink, blue. It was everywhere!:w00t:

I also saw ads on the internet the other day for monchichi monkey dolls and a new Garbage Pail Kids movie. The 80's is totally not a decade I want to go through again!

I'm actually glad to hear neon is back. I really like it!

Fashion is cyclical.

Aw, it's okay.

Frankie say RELAX. :D

:rofl: You just made my morning, astrid!

My sister & I were fasionable teens of the 80s. She was the big hair, day-glo colors, & rhinestones, while I was more of the British pop band invasions of funky, punked hair & vintage clothes. :D

oh, i love the 80's! best decade ever. i never liked neon clothes, frosty pink lips, or acid wash jeans - but i did love parachute pants, double belts, vans, and depeche mode! i do love that era so much! it only makes sense that the music & styles remain so popular - the 80's were "totally awesome":D.

The 80's is totally not a decade I want to go through again!

Sorry you didn't like the 80's. It is my fave decade so far, though, so I'm loving it! :D I was totally into the crimped hair, mall bangs, day-glo colors, splatter/puffy paint, all the toys LOL My DD is enjoying the resurrection of the 80's now, like me, it is totally up her alley. We have bought quite a few 80's-riffic (I just coined that - anyone can feel free to use it ha ha) tops!

I have a good friend (who is the same age as me - 34) and she is dismayed, like you. I don't get it - that was our CHILDHOOD? Apparently, she was tortured then by the bright colors and styles of clothes. I'd love to see her old pictures to see what she wore :confused:

I'm actually glad to hear neon is back. I really like it!

Yes! Me, too! I'm an 80's junkie. I have a bunch of the shows on DVDs, and tons of music from that decade on my iPod. I fondly remember my bottle of Electric Youth perfume ;) I have bought DD a bunch of neon tops and outfits, now if I could just find a few things for myself!

That's what I said about the 70's when some of those fashions came back. :lol:

My mom always said these things go in 20 year cycles, so it's a little past time for the 80's to return. They (the fashion people) change things just enough for the younger set to think it's all new.

Me too. Although, when dh and I saw some teens at the mall in their 80's regalia I looked at him and wondered "Did we look that stupid? They look pretty stupid."

Yes, IT'S BACK! RUN FOR YOUR LIIIIIVES!

I don't get the appeal either, but when I was a teenager in the 00's (not so long ago!), I thought the styles coming back were super retro cool. My mom laughed and told me about intentionally roughing up her jeans, ripping holes in them, shredding the hems, and so on. I was like :001_huh:. See, that's how they changed it ... it was faux old. When she was a teen, they wanted the stuff to actually BE and LOOK old. Not so in the 00's. We wanted the style (fake slashes through the jeans, faded colors, etc) but we weren't about to rip them up! We bought them full-price from American Eagle with the razor slashes already in them but still holding together, TYVM.

So yes, the neon is back. My teen neighbor thinks it's totally retro cool. Technically, 25 years old is "vintage". I just really hope the big hair stays in the past, where it belongs.

In 10 years my kids will be young teens, and begging me to buy them tight capris, crop tops with huge armholes, and jellie shoes. My son will shower and then immediately grease up his hair to get the grunge look over the clean. He'll probably have a closet full of baggy flannel shirts.

If the 90's came back, I wouldn't complain! :D

Oh yes! I could so go for the grunge 90's again.

Now my daughter is big on the 80's look. She has all the neon, high top odd colored shoes, checkered hoodies,tight jeans some with and without holes. The whole look minus the poofy hair. Now she was sporting a half side ponytail the other day. I wanted to cry.:confused::lol:

Edited by hsmom

I :001_wub: the 80s!! Well, except for the hairstyles. I could never manage those with straight hair and two front/bang cowlicks!!

I have often wished I had kept my parachute pants to show my kids. I loved to wear my black ones with a white t-shirt and a black off-the-shoulder net shirt with a funky low-slung belt! Ahhh....

And my jellies.... oh, how I miss my jellies!!

Do I need to start folding over the bottom of my jeans BEFORE I roll them up so they will have that tight little rolled cuff at the bottom? Are collars on the polo shirts going back up? Anything else I need to know?

Sad to say, my 80s clothes don't fit anymore............

But isn't the next line in that song, "Don't do it"??? :D

Maybe I am not remembering the words correctly.

QUOTE]

No, you're remembering correctly. My neighbor had a huge oversized shirt in the '80's that said

FRANKIE

SAY

RELAX

in neon colors....

LOL!

astrid

The 80's never went out of style, in my opinion. Doc Martins are a staple of my mom uniform, and I sport a Hello Kitty purse and wallet. I continue to listen to Depeche Mode, The Cure, and The Smiths. Some people are just in denial, perpetually youthful, or a little of both. ;)

Are GIANT shoulder pads coming back, too???

Noooo! Please no!

:lol:

DH and I were watching the Golden Girls this weekend and DH commented that Blanche's shoulder pads were big enough to use in the NFL. ODS was walking through the room about that time and spoke up to ask what a shoulder pad was. He could NOT understand why we actually wore those ON PURPOSE.

How come the 50's styles haven't made a come back???

I just love those beautiful dresses with the big poofy skirts!! I keep waiting and WAITING, but it hasn't come back in style :(

I hope after the 80's stuff goes away, the 50's come back :)

Just 2-3 years ago full skirts that sort of bell out (they often had an underskirt) were very popular. They were usually spring and summer styles. I still like them. They're not quite as long as poodle skirts; they tend to come down to the knee, though, or just a bit farther. I'd post a picture if I could find one.

I just love those beautiful dresses with the big poofy skirts!! I keep waiting and WAITING, but it hasn't come back in style :(

I wore those big skirts in the 80s (we were trying to look 50s). We also had 50s dances.

DH and I were watching the Golden Girls this weekend and DH commented that Blanche's shoulder pads were big enough to use in the NFL. ODS was walking through the room about that time and spoke up to ask what a shoulder pad was. He could NOT understand why we actually wore those ON PURPOSE.

Well, to make our waists/hips look smaller, of course! Same thing with BIG hair. The BIGGER the hair the smaller the actual person appears!!! That's why I got a perm when I was pregnant!! I was only fooling myself, of course.

It is cyclical. We are moving from 70's redux to the 80's now.

Last year I was shopping in a local store and I laughed when I saw a knit dress in geometric patterns. I said to an older woman standing by, "I wore this in 1977." She just laughed. When you live long enough, it comes right back around.

There is nothing new under the sun.

I remember and (gasp) actually wore the big shoulder pads of the 80's when I began working.

They were a repeat of Joan Crawford's (and a few others') shoulder pads of the 40's. My Mom thought it was hilarious because she had worn them in the 40's, like all the other girls her age.

I didn't particularily want to relive the 70's either with the hip huggers, peace signs and some of the platform shoes. But if I had to relive that, then you have to relive the 80's.

Just waiting for big hair! :tongue_smilie:

Me too. I loved the dresses! I think because it's too clean now for our culture.:tongue_smilie:

Not super poofy and not as long as 50's skirts, but I just bought this dress. I thought it was so feminine!

http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=67&pageId=1&viewAll=&productId=570043593&prd=Poppy+Print+Cotton+Sundress&subCatId=&color=&fromSearch=&inSeam=&posId=1&catId=cat210002&cat=Dresses++Skirts&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=5&size=

Hope it's okay to link that. I don't know how to insert a photo.

Do I need to start folding over the bottom of my jeans BEFORE I roll them up so they will have that tight little rolled cuff at the bottom? Are collars on the polo shirts going back up? Anything else I need to know?

I know someone in Milan, Italy right now and they say there are lots of upturned collars!

I know someone in Milan, Italy right now and they say there are lots of upturned collars!

Not super poofy and not as long as 50's skirts, but I just bought this dress. I thought it was so feminine!

http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=67&pageId=1&viewAll=&productId=570043593&prd=Poppy+Print+Cotton+Sundress&subCatId=&color=&fromSearch=&inSeam=&posId=1&catId=cat210002&cat=Dresses++Skirts&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=5&size=

Hope it's okay to link that. I don't know how to insert a photo.

That's cute too! I was thinking more along the lines of these:

http://azbarlow.blogspot.com/2010_08_01_archive.html

And I could even settle for some 60's dresses, like the ones in Hairspray, LOL!!:

Hairspray

They are just so big and poofy and feminine! Love them!! Oh and I LOVE all the dresses on the Pan-Am show!! I was hoping the show might help along the come back :)