Menu

Lost in Translation: What would you think this meant?

Please tell me your first impression here. If a Mom says to a teen daughter, formerly homeschooled and now in an urban high school, while discussing her upcoming trip abroad to a mountainous region,

"Whatever you do, don't cut yourself."

What does this mean to you? I said I'd poll other Moms (and if your 15-17 year old daughters want to weigh in, that would be great).

What would you think Mom meant?

The first thing that comes to mind is "cutting". With no other context whatsoever, I'd assume the dd had a history of cutting and the mom was referencing that.

However, I can see a mom saying that just meaning "be safe", and having no clue of the other possible interpretation (and the dd being offended/horrified).

My son faints at the sight of his own blood. When he went to Scout camp last year, I gave him almost the same stern warning, lol. I was teasing a little and also very concerned that if he did cut himself (by accident), he might pass out and cause the other Scouts and leaders to panic.

But I would probably just assume that she was concerned about the possibility of infection when there wouldn't be adequate clean water and disinfectant available.

If it was a concern over medical care, it would have made more sense to say in general terms "don't get hurt!" or something.

Maybe the girl has an issue with blood where she doesn't clot or something completely life-threatening.

That's all I can think of.

I agree. Maybe she has some blood-clotting issue.

Maybe she has a history of falling and cutting herself open. I have a child like that, and I do tell her not to cut herself sometimes. Usually I say do not hurt yourself, but it is really whatever comes to my mind at the time. I do not tend to read much into what people say though, so I do not always choose my words as though someone is digging deeper into what I am saying. It is bad, because I offend people without meaning to, but it is what it is. Maybe the mom is like me.:lol:

A few thoughts went through my head.

Cutting- an emotional reaction

Cutting-physically cutting ones self accidentally (some people are prone to certain types of injuries....maybe she is a clutz?)

Cutting-used to mean getting injured.

Please tell me your first impression here. If a Mom says to a teen daughter, formerly homeschooled and now in an urban high school, while discussing her upcoming trip abroad to a mountainous region,

What does this mean to you? I said I'd poll other Moms (and if your 15-17 year old daughters want to weigh in, that would be great).

She doesn't want her daughter to need a tetanus shot?

Her daughter has hemophilia and will bleed out, and the nearest hospital is a day away?

If it was a concern over medical care, it would have made more sense to say in general terms "don't get hurt!" or something.

Maybe the girl has an issue with blood where she doesn't clot or something completely life-threatening.

That's all I can think of.

My nephew has hemophilia. You aren't only concerned with cuts so a mom of a kid with a clotting disorder wouldn't necessarily specify cuts either. I think people are reading WAY too much into one small comment.

So, do we get to know why you are asking? Was this you and your dd, and she took offense? Or was it someone else, and your dd thinks it means the daughter's been cutting, and you don't? Or is it some other "lost in translation" scenario? You can't leave us hanging... :D:lurk5:

I would imagine some specific concern about tetanus - that's soil born, isn't it? Or some other such disease.

The comment is a little specific. I personally have a much wider range of concerns: "Whatever you do, don't cut yourself. Don't talk to strangers. Always travel with a friend. Tell people where you are going and when you'll be back. Carry a cell phone. And perhaps a GPS locator. Don't poke a bear. Stay away from bee hives". I'm really just getting started!

Also wondering why you're asking...

I might think it was an inside joke.

For awhile DD went through a tree-climbing phase. I had to really monitor her because she would go 30 or more feet up.

We started to joke when I dropped her off somehwere, "Don't climb any trees!" even if it wasn't a possibility. If someone heard me they might have thought it was strange!

Just an idea, if it wasn't the real cutting issue.

I might think it was an inside joke.

For awhile DD went through a tree-climbing phase. I had to really monitor her because she would go 30 or more feet up.

We started to joke when I dropped her off somehwere, "Don't climb any trees!" even if it wasn't a possibility. If someone heard me they might have thought it was strange!

Just an idea, if it wasn't the real cutting issue.

:iagree:

I would think there may be a story in there. Maybe she went to the mountains before and got in some accident where she got cut pretty badly, and now they are just joking about it.

My first thought is an in joke between mother and daughter. Maybe at some point one of them got cut just as the other said whatever you do don't cut yourself and it has stuck as phrase they use to mean be careful.

Definitely it could mean that the daughter was a cutter, but my first thought was inside joke. I guess for me it would depend on the tone. inflection and body language of both mother and daughter during this exchange.

ETA my first thought is inside joke because in my family we say things like "make sure you are not a dumassnessness" Which is our way of saying "use your brains and don't be a dumba$$" So my thoughts go straight to a family joke that no one else would get.

Edited by swellmomma

I think there's a lot of jumping to conclusions going on here. How can you think anything about it without hearing the rest of the conversation? There are so many possible scenarios. Was camping involved? Maybe the daughter was worried about cutting twigs to build a fire and Mom cautioned her not to cut herself in the process. Maybe the daughter was carrying a pocket knife and other camping equipment for the first time. Maybe said pocket knife wasn't folding up as easily as it should have. Maybe there was a sharp place on daughter's suitcase and she had already scratched herself on it. There are just so many possibilities. I would never think to jump to the worst one.

And it could have just been something between mother and daughter. Once when I was going out with a friend (I was driving), my mom told me not to get hit by a train! LOL.. Her reasoning was that that comment would get my attention better than just telling to me to be careful or drive safely or blah, blah, blah. :lol:

I think there's a lot of jumping to conclusions going on here. How can you think anything about it without hearing the rest of the conversation? There are so many possible scenarios. ... There are just so many possibilities. I would never think to jump to the worst one.

Well of course. But the OP asked "Please tell me your first impression here." While my mind went first to cutting, helped by the "lost in translation" title and the reference to an urban high school (where I assume there is an awareness of cutting), I certainly wouldn't assume that's what the mom actually meant. It was just the first thought in a long list of possibilities. We'd need more facts, context, info about the people involved, why the OP brought it up, and so on, before zeroing in on a realistic/likely scenario, and even then we'd be speculating. The OP asked for first impressions, we gave them.

Well of course. But the OP asked "Please tell me your first impression here." While my mind went first to cutting, helped by the "lost in translation" title and the reference to an urban high school (where I assume there is an awareness of cutting), I certainly wouldn't assume that's what the mom actually meant. It was just the first thought in a long list of possibilities. We'd need more facts, context, info about the people involved, why the OP brought it up, and so on, before zeroing in on a realistic/likely scenario, and even then we'd be speculating. The OP asked for first impressions, we gave them.

I guess it just surprises me that everyone's first impression was so negative and intense. Maybe I just don't think that way.

I always tell my 13yo, "No broken body parts!" She injures herself frequently. She has loose joints which means that ankle turns are pretty frequent for her and those generally mean falling. She hasn't actually managed to break any body parts since she broke her nose at 3yo doing a face plant on the sidewalk, but she certainly has the potential to do so.

I guess it just surprises me that everyone's first impression was so negative and intense. Maybe I just don't think that way.

I think it's more what stage of parenting you're in. Since you're a mom of youngers, the issue may not have touched your circle of friends, or be on your kids' radar. Many teens, though, are aware of the issue (even if only through pop culture and not in "real life"), and those of us with older kids may be more likely to have come across teens who've encountered problems with cutting (or their parents).

I would assume she meant don't get hurt. We've got a lot of family phrases ("buck up and take it like a man", for instance, came into our family when the somewhat wild former neighbor boy told his little sister--they were maybe 6 & 4 at the time--to do just that after she fell) that would make others scratch their heads.

I'd think she didn't want her daughter engaging in what she/Mom thinks to be typical or likely when a group of adolescent girls get together and do the girl-group thing. Maybe the Mom has friends who deal with this, or maybe she watches Lifetime for Women movies, but I'd assume she's equating cutting with a not-unordinary teenage phase or curiosity-most-likely-engaged-in-during-a-group-environment-away-from-home.

I have a teenage sister and teenage nephews, and they thought the same thing when I asked them verbatim from the OP.

OrganicAnn;I think she might be worried about the medical care her daughter would get in that area. Maybe there is infections that she knows about.

This is it, exactly!

Though I do admit I could have worded it more clearly. I told her I'd ask to see if other Moms thought the way I do, and at least some do!

On the other hand, if the daughter has any "issues" then I might think she meant that the daughter cuts herself.

She doesn't, and the really sad thing is that she would have had no idea what this meant two years ago, before she started at the urban school she attends... That makes me sad. I sure as heck didn't have any idea what this meant until I was an adult.

However, I can see a mom saying that just meaning "be safe", and having no clue of the other possible interpretation (and the dd being offended/horrified).

I was the Mom. This is exactly what I meant, and she would have been offended/horrified before being in the urban school system.

So, do we get to know why you are asking? Was this you and your dd, and she took offense? Or was it someone else, and your dd thinks it means the daughter's been cutting, and you don't? Or is it some other "lost in translation" scenario? You can't leave us hanging... :D:lurk5:

Yes, it was me and my own daughter. No, she didn't take offense. I was actually the one who was kind of horrified that her first thought now goes to "cutting" (as in intentionally) because she knows kids who actually do this at the school she attends (not her!). One girl did a monologue about it that was so disturbing that the teacher stopped the class just a week ago.

Ugh. My baby isn't innocent anymore, and that saddens me.

No kid should know about stuff like this.

I personally have a much wider range of concerns: "Whatever you do, don't cut yourself. Don't talk to strangers. Always travel with a friend. Tell people where you are going and when you'll be back. Carry a cell phone. And perhaps a GPS locator. Don't poke a bear. Stay away from bee hives". I'm really just getting started!

She leaves soon for another country. And believe me, my warnings have only just begun. Scary for me to be thousands of miles away.

No, no kid perhaps, but she's well on her way to becoming an adult, so time to arm her with wise info now. Since her peers seem to be there already, you might find some good resources on how to best be a friend to someone who is struggling.

With the culture as messed up as it is nowadays, knowing about cutting, suicide, weird tEa stuff etc. is "normal". Maybe not good, or right, but normal to be talked about in her school environment.

Yes, it was me and my own daughter. No, she didn't take offense. I was actually the one who was kind of horrified that her first thought now goes to "cutting" (as in intentionally) because she knows kids who actually do this at the school she attends (not her!). One girl did a monologue about it that was so disturbing that the teacher stopped the class just a week ago.

To a younger child I would have assumed it was referring to the specific physical injury, but said to a teen I would have assumed intentional cutting. Do a google search on the term "cutting" and you'll see this is the most prevalant usage, especially among this age group.