Menu

Are you a dog person or a cat person?

Are you a dog person or a cat person?  

1. 1. Are you a dog person or a cat person?

• Primarily a dog person. Woof!
    • Primarily a cat person. Meow!
    • Just can't decide -- both!
    • Neither
    • Other (not sure we need this option, but here it is)

For the purposes of this poll, if you choose "dog person" or "cat person" it doesn't necessarily mean that you don't like both, just that you have a preference for one over the other.

Please feel free to make comments. (I'm curious to know if anyone has switched from one favorite to the other.) Thanks!

I've always been a dog person, probably because my cousin's incredibly vicious Siamese cat bit me when I was little and scarred me for life (literally). I grew up in a house with dogs only, but my dh loves cats so I bought him one as a birthday surprise soon after we got married. I ended up being crazy about that kitty and now can't imagine being without both cats and dogs. If I had to choose one over the other though, I'd have a dog, so I chose dog person.

We now have two dogs and two cats and love them all.

I am definitely a cat person, but we just adopted a little dog. :001_smile: It's best for our family during this time in our lives.

A little less than a year ago we moved across the country and had to rehome our two kitties. One we'd had for seven years. It was terrible for me and I will always feel his loss. Unfortunately, it wasn't possible to bring 'Morris' with us. Both our cats went to grandmothers in our homeschooling group. I know they are loved...

This past weekend we adopted a dog though a local rescue. He's wonderful. He's almost cat like except he potties outside. :lol:

Until early this morning, I'd have unhesitatingly answered "cats." But at 3am, a certain animal decided to sit outside my bedroom door and yowl, evidently to announce that she had used the litterbox (she tends to brag about this spectacular accomplishment). So while I still chose cats on the poll, I was a little less enthusiastic.

I've never been a dog person, but I saw part of the Westminster Dog Show on television and now have it in my head that I want a French Bulldog. I don't know squat about bulldogs, French or otherwise, but I really want one someday. Can you take a class in Dogs for Beginners?

Yeah I have one cat now and I am constantly thinking about getting more. But for me that's a slippery slope because I could imagine hoarding cats.

I'm told we can stay outside the Crazy Cat Lady circle if we restrict the number of cats to the number of bedrooms in our homes plus one. Three bedrooms? You're good with as many as four cats. Five will get you into CCL territory.

I'm a dog person, but we just got a cat for dd8. I'm learning to appreciate cats.

Dogs let you know exactly what they want - they have no guile. Cats sneak up on you and spy on you, or sometimes they just stare. I wonder if she wants to eat me. I realize that cats are always hunting and stalking - it just seems funny that I'm the prey sometimes.

Cats don't come when called, but they can't resist when you dangle something in front of them.

My favorite dog/cat jokes:

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

A dog says, "She feeds me, loves me, cares for me. She must be God!"

A cat says, "She feeds me, loves me, cares for me. I must be God!"

So, I'm a lifelong dog person who is learning to really love our new cat!

My cat always comes when I call her. She also pets me. No joke...she pets me. AND she licks me. All the time. She sleeps either wedged up against me, above my head on my pillow, or on top of me. She truly is a wonderful cuddly loveable cat. I do realize not all cats are like her.

That's cool.

Our cat doesn't even look at us when we call her name. She probably doesn't even know her name. "Kendall, come here. Kendall. Kendall. Cat. Come here. Cat. Stupid cat." She does seem fairly social and follows us from room to room.

The dog, however, comes when we call anybody's name. He has no clue what to do, but he sure wants to participate in whatever's going on.

Our kitties come when we call them (unless they are in the middle of an especially good nap). And one of our cats calls my husband to bed every night, same time. She stays upstairs most of the day (her choice, she doesn't like our dogs) but at 11 p.m. every night she comes down and meows at my husband until he goes to bed. (Her nickname is Nanny.) She loves me, but she doesn't seem to care if I come to bed or not -- she only meows at dh.

We've had our sweet dog Marshall for four years, and just yesterday got another dog for the kids from the same rescue, named Mojo. :)

I don't have a problem per se with cats, but DH is severely allergic (it only takes a few minutes for him to start swelling), and he just plain hates them to boot. So we are and will always be a cat free home.

Now the kids love cats, so we volunteer once a week at a local animal shelter as "cat cuddlers". We spend time socializing the cats (which pretty much means we brush them, play with them, pet them, let them snooze in our lap - it's a good gig!). I enjoy our time there, but I am always happy to go home to my dog (and now dogs!).

Can't imagine life without a dog!

I used to be strictly a cat person for years until I got my first dog. Then I switched. I can't stand little yip yap dogs, though. Border Collies, Labradors, Rottweilers, German Shepherds are more my type. ;)

We're actually getting a kitty in June when they are weaned and ready. A little Ragdoll. I have a feeling I may be switching my loyalty again soon... just don't tell our lab. :lol:

I'm a cat person. I absolutely adore cats. We had two and my son developed an allergy with asthma. Finally we decided we had to rehome. I miss cats a lot. He's allergic to dog and, it seems, rabbit too just from exposure at friends homes so we're a no furry pets home sadly.

We're cat crazy here. My husband created a thing called "cute cat news". We text each other (including BF) Cute Cat News then send a pic or something that happened with the cats. We also sometimes say "Meow for now" when saying goodbye. We learned that one from a nutty cat breeder in LA.

Some of the cat people that we've dealt with over the years have been so awesomely out of their minds, we have enough inspiration to last a life time. :tongue_smilie:

Here's a picture of our newest kitty:

Helena, Lulu is so cute! Is she a Bengal?

I have to admit I send my dh e-cards from the dogs and cats from time to time.

Yes, she's a Bengal. She's an absolute doll. BUT, she's very different from our other cats (Siamese and a Bombay). She's kind of wild and a little scary sometimes! :lol:

Our other cats come when we call (Ella and Kiki). I'm sure this one will too. We just need to stop changing her name. First it was Lyra (love that name), but it kept sounding like people were saying Ira. :D Then we tried Petrova. We were sad to give that one up, but it was hard to call out to her with that name. We've settled on Lulu.

I said "primarily a dog person," but it was iffy between that and "can't decide." We had dogs when I was growing up, and they weren't well trained or well behaved. So, when I moved out on my own and wanted pets, I went with cats. I loved them and couldn't imagine ever having a dog.

After that first pair of cats were gone, we had guinea pigs, whom I also loved. But I just started feeling like a really wanted a dog.

My husband, attempting to head off the dog thing, brought home a cat as a gift for me. The problem is that cat hated me. A year later, we tried again. The second cat likes me okay, but really loves my husband.

I just kept saying "dog, dog, dog," and finally, I wore him down.

So, we now have the two cats, one of whom has decided she might like me, after all, and my beloved dog.

I never, ever plan to be without a dog again for the rest of my life.

But I do love the cats, too.

I love, love, dogs but have become fond of a few cats in my lifetime. For the most part these cats act like dogs - which is why I like them :lol:

For the purposes of this poll, if you choose "dog person" or "cat person" it doesn't necessarily mean that you don't like both, just that you have a preference for one over the other.

Please feel free to make comments. (I'm curious to know if anyone has switched from one favorite to the other.) Thanks!

Helena and everyone, yes, please post photos! I love looking at pets!

Lulu is a cute name. Our little girl (a dainty tabby) is Coco and our big boy (a handsome tuxedo cat) is Casey.

Our dogs are Baxter and Molly. They both really, really like the cats. The cats really, really don't like Baxter and Molly.

Our gerbil is Simon. His brothers were Alvin and Theodore (RIP little buddies!).

:D This cracked me up, but I know what you mean. I'm a cat person. I think it's because they are less needy.

:iagree: Yes! Dogs are very needy, and I am always asking mine "What do you want??!!" Cats are more of a challenge, too. It's like when you are in high school, and you never like the "nice" guys who were too available-that's the dogs.

I like cats, and used to have two of them. DD is allergic to them, so we do not have cats now.

They sure are a lot less work than dogs are. Last week, Aidan figured out how to unlock the kitchen trash can and how to take the cap off an unopened bottle of water. My cats didn't do things like that.

I voted both. I used to be strictly a dog person, but somehow ended up with four cats. I love my kitties, and can't imagine being without them. I also love my great big English Lab. She is the sweetest, most obedient dog I have ever had.

I like both. Right now, we only have cats, but I am looking forward to DH retiring so we can settle in somewhere on an acreage and have a dog or two.

I am a BIG dog person, though. Not small, yappy things - and even if they're not yappy, I don't really care for them. The dog must be at least up to my knee in height to "qualify" as a dog, IMO. :D

I am unwilling to consider a lifestyle that does not include a canine companion. Cats, though... I feel like I live alone even when I live with them (which I usually do).

If you ever see anyone advertising hand raised kittens for a good home, chances are you will find a very loving kitty.

One of my cats has been hand raised since birth (she's almost 6 months old now) and an absolute sweetheart. She always wants human love because that's all she's ever known. My sister found them (our kitty and her brother) abandoned with the afterbirth still attached to them. As soon as I put a hand on her to pick her up for a snuggle, she starts purring.