Menu

I'm Changing my Avatar for a little while.....Big Penguin is taking a short break....

On September 8, 2011, Jack Donaldson, a wonderful 12 year old boy, who had the most wonderful family you would ever want to meet, died in a tragic, flash flood drowning in Vienna, Virginia.

My kids, Jack and his sister were school friends and church friends. Jack's parents are the nicest people --

When Jack died, blue ribbons began showing up all over Vienna and the surrounding towns. Jack was a loyal NYY fan and folks began tying ribbons on trees, their mailboxes, etc. Our trees on our property have blue ribbons, at Christmas we decorated with blue lights and blue bows, and my fb photo is the blue bow you see here.

Jack's 13th birthday would have been Sunday, March 18th -- in honor of and in memory of Jack Donaldson (the kid I always wanted in my group if I was a Field Trip Mom), I am fasting and praying this week and I have changed my avatar to 'Jack's ribbon.'

Here is his mom's blog -- Anna was a gifted, talented, funny writer before this tragedy. Now, she takes my breath away. http://www.aninchofgray.blogspot.com/

Please, if you are so inclined, send positive thoughts and/or prayers to Anna, Tim and Margaret. Six months after Jack's death, I still cannot imagine how Anna puts her feet on the floor every morning.

Thank you all.

Edited by MariannNOVA

:crying:

:grouphug:

My heart is breaking for that family, and those of you who are missing him. Thank you for sharing.

Praying......for your family too.

I read some of her blog posts, but it was just too sad. :(

Praying for her and her family.

Thanks, and yes, I know about the too sad.

Only a couple of other times in my life have I almost been knocked over by sadness emanating from another individual.

The first time was a young mom in the town where we lived (OCNJ) whose husband had died in a small plane crash while on a mercy mission to help some folks. She was 8 mos pg at the time -- it was right around Christmas-time.

The next time was when dh, the kids and I went to a grade 5/6 friday night at Church to pack shoe boxes for Samaritan's purse in memory of Jack.

I appreciate all of your good thoughts and prayers. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:crying::crying::crying:

I can't begin to imagine......

Do you know, Denise, I have never collapsed in my life but at the first day of cc, when some moms and I were talking about private schools, and I said that we had attended XYZ private school, one of the moms said to me: 'then you know the little boy who drowned a couple of days ago. He was in 7th grade at XYZ' Now, my dd12 would have been in that 7th grade class -- and there were only 3 boys in the class, and I said firmly: 'Oh, no. None of those boys are the one who drowned.' And, she pulled up the info on her phone and told me his name, and I hit the floor, and the next thing I knew it was some minutes later, and all I could do was think about Anna and Tim........and Jack.

This is heartbreaking beyond words. What a beautiful boy. What a beautiful family. I hadn't heard about it, so I googled a little. What really breaks my heart is thinking of Margaret, who is 10. My kids seem to bicker all the time....yet Jack and Margaret got along so wonderful. They had such a love for each other. Her loss must be unbearable. I read, at some other site, that Margaret made this grocery list for her dad. I could cry buckets. :crying: :crying: :crying:

This is heartbreaking beyond words. What a beautiful boy. What a beautiful family. I hadn't heard about it, so I googled a little. What really breaks my heart is thinking of Margaret, who is 10. My kids seem to bicker all the time....yet Jack and Margaret got along so wonderful. They had such a love for each other. Her loss must be unbearable. I read, at some other site, that Margaret made this grocery list for her dad. I could cry buckets. :crying: :crying: :crying:

Yup -- all true. My dd11 loves Margaret and is having such difficulty coming to terms with this event in her friend's life.

I am as stunned by it today as I was 6 mos ago -- it is still unfathomable to me.:grouphug:

I looked at your post earlier and peeked at her blog before I had to run to the store. I couldn't stop thinking about it and nearly lost it in Kroger :crying:.

Jack sounds so much like my sensitive, builder guy. The thought of one of his Lego magazines coming in the mail, after such a tragedy, is almost too much to bear.

Thinking of you and this family :grouphug:.

Oh, Mariann. I remember when this happened. Utterly and altogether heartbreaking. Her blog posts have me in tears. I will continue to pray for her and the whole family, and you as well. :grouphug:

I'm a blubbering mess...I read her blog. I feel so incredible sad for her. I'm praying for you all. :grouphug:

Oh, how sad; I'm tearing up reading your post.

Oh my....how my heart hurts for them. I simply cannot imagine.

I looked at your post earlier and peeked at her blog before I had to run to the store. I couldn't stop thinking about it and nearly lost it in Kroger .

Jack sounds so much like my sensitive, builder guy. The thought of one of his Lego magazines coming in the mail, after such a tragedy, is almost too much to bear.

Thinking of you and this family :grouphug:.

:grouphug: Praying for Anna and her family. May they be consoled. :grouphug:

(Perhaps our heavenly Mother will have words of consolation for them on the 18th.)

I spent a long time reading her blog' date=' including the eulogy she delivered for Jack. What a beautiful, loving family. I am so sorry for their loss.

[/quote']

Thanks for sharing her blog. I will definitely be praying for your friends! Oh, those pictures of her children the day before!! So precious and so heartbreaking at the same time.

I'll pray for the family. I can't imagine the grief. I made it to her post about his Lego magazine and kit coming in the mail and had to stop. It just hits too close to home.

Thank you all. If you are inclined to pray for this family, please do so.....and don't stop. Thank you all so much!

Her blog is heart breaking and can't help but bring tears to your eyes.

I then looked out at a similar stream near our house. That was when I realized that her blog was also educational. WOW! Something like that is so true.

My thoughts are with the family as they pass through this difficult time.

Those cr*ppy little streams run all through our towns -- I think of Jack every single I see one now -- which is often.

Thank you!:grouphug:

Wow. She's a rock but I'm sure she doesn't feel like one. How hard to go on living for the other child.

A little boy in our town drowned in the same circumstances. So did the little boy who tried to save him.

Boy, you hit that nail right on the head.

I think she and her dh are rocks -- they don't. And I remember my dd33 telling me that Anna would get up every morning b/c of Margaret -- and I guess she is right.

When I hugged Anna at the Operation Christmas Child event in Jack's memory, I told her I am praying for her always. Her response: 'Don't stop.'

How awful about those two little boys. Anna has written a sentence or two in her blog about why she didn't jump in and try to save Jack. I think they both would have drowned.

Wow. There are simply no words. What an incredibly strong woman. I hope her blog gives her a sense of peace and gives her an outlet to sort through her emotions.

Her family will remain in my thoughts and prayers.

I can not even imagine. . .

oh my word. I just read her post about how it all happened. There just aren't any words.

The day I read it, and I already knew what had happened, I was stunned. Anna's words are compelling.

Wow. There are simply no words. What an incredibly strong woman. I hope her blog gives her a sense of peace and gives her an outlet to sort through her emotions.

Her family will remain in my thoughts and prayers.

I can not even imagine. . .

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I think the only thing I can do for their family is pray -- always pray.:grouphug:

Oh Mariann! I am in tears here for that poor family. I absolutely lost it when Margaret said, "But, I don't want to be an only child!" How heartbreaking - for her and her poor mother who had to hear her say it. I cannot stop crying.

I'll hold them up in prayer. Forever.

I just read her account of that day too. The tears are flowing for them. Prayers have been sent up....and will continue to be.

Thank you so very very much!!!! I don't know what to do for that beautiful family except pray!!!! Thank you both again!!!!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I went back and read the story on her blog of what happened that night. I read it while whispering, "oh God, no" the entire time. As a mother with a creek running right through my back yard (less than 500 feet from my house), this story hit me very hard. I knew the danger...but I let it pass me by with my older son. Sometimes we forget that, as kids get older, they still aren't adults! His sweet mother is in my thoughts and prayers as his birthday comes! God be with them!

Me too....had to stop reading...

I went back and read the story on her blog of what happened that night. I read it while whispering, "oh God, no" the entire time. As a mother with a creek running right through my back yard (less than 500 feet from my house), this story hit me very hard. I knew the danger...but I let it pass me by with my older son. Sometimes we forget that, as kids get older, they still aren't adults! His sweet mother is in my thoughts and prayers as his birthday comes! God be with them!

Thank you for your prayers! I look at those little streams and creeks totally differently now --

:grouphug::grouphug:

I just spend about two hours reading her blog, from today right back to last September. I'm just so sad for them. What a beautiful boy.

Anna's writing is compelling, isn't it?

Jack was the best! I remember in third grade I was a field trip mom to National Cathedral. After the tour, the kids were taken downstairs to a large room where they were taught how to chip away at stone and other artisan skills.

Jack had on his heavy apron, goggles, and protective gloves that were handed out to the kids -- he was so into what he was doing. He was just simply a wonderful kid.

I have been sitting here reading through tears. I cannot imagine the pain they have, and will continue to, suffer.

Her writing is nothing short of spectacular. The words are so moving. I am very touched.

I love that they are raising money in his name - hope everyone can donate a little something to help. It's such an awesome way to keep his memory alive, and help others at the same time!

Edited to add that this Sunday, March 18th, is my youngest dd's birthday. She will be 19. I will think of and pray for their family all day.

Edited by StaceyinLA

I have been sitting here reading through tears. I cannot imagine the pain they have, and will continue to, suffer.

Her writing is nothing short of spectacular. The words are so moving. I am very touched.

I love that they are raising money in his name - hope everyone can donate a little something to help. It's such an awesome way to keep his memory alive, and help others at the same time!

Edited to add that this Sunday, March 18th, is my youngest dd's birthday. She will be 19. I will think of and pray for their family all day.

Stacey -- Thank you -- Anna writes repeatedly that she is concerned that Jack will be forgotten.....hence, the efforts to keep his memory alive.

HB to your DD! Hope it is a blessed day! Thank you so much for your prayers!:grouphug: