Menu

If you had a child in K, what would you use to teach phonics?

Just Kate

With my ds (8), I used lots of things (ETC, Progressive Phonics, Happy Phonics). However, I think dd would do better with a phonics program. Any suggestions?

(I have been thinking about All About Reading or maybe just use All About Spelling??? I have no idea, actually. :))

Agree with The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. We used it very successfully with my dd, and now are going through it again with ds. We do use a whiteboard for the earlier lessons, and eventually transition to reading from the book (once there is too much for me to copy each lesson).

I like ABEKA phonics. I don't use ABEKA for anything else though. I buy "Handbook for Reading" and the K workbook. I also do Explode the code for a different kind of reinforcement but you wouldn't have to. Throw in a few Leap Frog videos and that's it.

I started my current K'er in Webster's Speller (free) to learn open and closed syllables. That helps a LOT with "sight words" that you encounter. Most of them can be sounded out easily. Since he knows long vowels in words like "the", "he", "she", "I", and "a", they've been no big deal.

We have also thrown in I See Sam readers (first 52 free online), which he LOVES. They are much better than Bob books.

Recently, we started doing Reading Eggs and Dancing Bears book A. His reading is now starting to take off and get out of that sounding out every single word every single time mode. :D Both of these include a lot of repetition, which is exactly what he needed. Also, I used the "cursor" idea from DB before I even started DB. That has been very helpful when going through the I See Sam readers, uncovering one phonogram at a time.

We used Funnix for Abby. Emmett is currently using Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. Sometimes 100 Easy Lessons gets a bad rap on this board, and to be fair it doesn't work for every child. Emmett is loving it, though, and is pleased with his progress. I also have him working through the I See Sam readers.

With my oldest, I used The Writing Road to Reading because I had zero budget and I liked it best out of the options my library had. It worked very well but was not very user-friendly.

With my 2nd, I used the HOP K-2 kit then AAS.

My 3rd child has special needs, and she may require a more intensive program such as Lindamood-Bell's LiPS phonemic awareness one and then Barton or Wilson. We'll cross that bridge if/when we come to it.

With my ds (8), I used lots of things (ETC, Progressive Phonics, Happy Phonics). However, I think dd would do better with a phonics program. Any suggestions?

ETC, Progressive Phonics, and Happy Phonics...are phonics programs. :confused:

At any rate, with a child of any age, I would do Spalding. :D

I'm going to be teaching my dd in K this fall. As with ds, I'm going to be using Tanglewood's free Really Reading program first. To add something new, I will then use online free program such as Progressive Phonics. I think I will follow up with OPGTR, but only if I see it's necessary.

Really Reading - http://www.tanglewoodeducation.com/1g.htm (click on apple)

Edited by sagira

I taught my older three (including the one currently in k) with A Beka phonics. I really like their program. Although I know A Beka gets a bad rap on these boards.

:iagree: When I started homeschooling, I avoided Abeka like the plague b/c of what I had heard from various forums. However I ended up using their phonics after other programs caused lots of tears. I love their phonics, although I tweak it some.

We do have a DD that is just starting K. We are using PAL-R and PAL-W, soon to start AAS1 and she also does Reading Eggs. We tried 100EZ lessons with my last child and he was bored ... I started Phonics Pathways with her and she seemed bored ... We all love PAL.

I taught my older three (including the one currently in k) with A Beka phonics. I really like their program. Although I know A Beka gets a bad rap on these boards.

Individual ABeka subjects don't get a "bad rap," any more than any other publisher does. Using all ABeka might get a bad rap, as there is an amazingly high burn-out rate among all-ABeka users, especially new homeschoolers, especially new homeschoolers who enroll their dc in ABeka Academy.

ABeka's phonics materials get good reviews.

This is what we do. =)

Agree with The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. We used it very successfully with my dd, and now are going through it again with ds. We do use a whiteboard for the earlier lessons, and eventually transition to reading from the book (once there is too much for me to copy each lesson).

I am loving MP's First Start Reading. Ds learned to write his letters prior, so it works well for us. The writing portions could be skipped though for a child not ready for writing. I love that he is learning to read without stress. It is very gentle yet thorough. We also use phonogram cards from Riggs Institute plus all the other phonics in MP K.

We are so early in the process, but we are basically using OPGTR (after I checked 100EZ lessons, OPGTR and Phonics Pathways out of the library--OPGTR is the one that 'resounded' with me the most). I basically read the lesson ahead of time and get the picture, then do all the work w/ my ds on a fairly large whiteboard. I also make up my own silly short sentences. :)

So far it is working great. We are both happy. Sometimes I split a long lesson into 2 because I want lessons to be on the short side--my ds is only 4.5 and I don't want to push.

I am using Saxon Phonics with my kindergartener. I used Phonics Pathways with my now 11-year old, and she hated reading for years afterwards, but she is a very mathy, rules oriented child. My son is similar, and the Saxon Phonics, with the step-by-step process and EVERYTHING spelled out seems to be a much better fit.