Menu

The very very earliest easiest reader--please recommend!

pehp

My sweet little guy is really starting to gain some momentum with reading. I am taking it very slowly and right now I just write short, funny sentences (using a variety of 2 and 3 letter words he can sound out easily) on a whiteboard. We have a great time with things like "the big fat pig ran" and stuff like that. Don't ask me why; he thinks it's hilarious.

Anyhow, I'd LOVE to find a good reader for him to work through--something with very simple words (VERY VERY easy/early) but something that is at least somewhat engaging. We've already read a couple of applicable pages of Hop on Pop together. I really want him to taste the victory of being able to read the majority of a book himself. But the readers have to be *seriously* easy!

(Are the BOB books boring or worthy?)

I'd love any suggestions you can give. Thanks!

We liked Bob Books the first set b/c there was a sense of accomplishment. But I'm not sure if I had to do it over that I'd spend the money on the Bob Books. We read them 1-2 times and then never looked at them again and they take off so quickly that they sometimes don't need all the Bob levels.

There are books at Starfall.com that you can print out for free. I remember I had to do quite a bit of searching to find them.

I've also found this site to be most helpful and a great start. You can print free early reader books and worksheets. http://www.progressivephonics.com/~suzettew/

And they're hard to find used, but if I had to spend my money I'd look for the early reader books published by k12. Sometimes you can find them used on ebay or elsewhere. There's about 30 of them and this would get you through K & 1st grade material.

Yeah, I know I was SO frustrated when my guys were ready to take off and the "early reader" books were not actually phonics based books.

I started with all of the Easy Reader Dr. Suess books I could find at the library. You will have to help with some of the words, but they are very entertaining and fun to read. They also make your child feel like he is reading a *real* book (rather than some sort of early reader that looks more like a brochure than a book IMO).

I highly recommend the Nora Gaydos "Now I'm Reading" series. I bought the Animal Antics set. The first half of each book builds a sentence, using quite a bit of repetition. The second half of the book finishes the story with the same vowel sounds, but less repetition.

For example, the first four pages of the first book are:

A cat.

A fat cat.

A tan fat cat.

A tan fat cat ran.

Then it tells a story about the cat's pals who help him get to the finish line.

Book #2, the short-o book, starts with "A dog. A hot dog." and so on.

When my kids were very young, I reinforced the words with lower-case refrigerator magnets.

The illustrations are fun and colorful. My daughter really giggled at the Fish Gift book. (Fish Gift is number 8 out of 10, when simple blends are introduced.)

I highly recommend the Nora Gaydos "Now I'm Reading" series. I bought the Animal Antics set. The first half of each book builds a sentence, using quite a bit of repetition. The second half of the book finishes the story with the same vowel sounds, but less repetition.

A cat.

A fat cat.

A tan fat cat.

A tan fat cat ran.

When my kids were very young, I reinforced the words with lower-case refrigerator magnets.

The illustrations are fun and colorful. My daughter really giggled at the Fish Gift book. (Fish Gift is number 8 out of 10, when simple blends are introduced.)

:iagree:

We used Bob Books, which my dd liked. We also used the big orange Dick and Jane book, which she loved. The only thing about the Dick and Jane book is that it is not in order from easy to hard, there are easier stories in the back so you may want to go there before you get to the harder stories.

We loved I See Sam (links in this post for free ones to print/use) and/or Progressive Phonics (free too). My boys loved the characters and silly stories. Both are phonics based and 100% decodable (in the case of progressive phonics the student read parts are 100% and for I See Sam the entire thing is 100%). So they are strong phonics based readers and are very gradual. Given they are free you could look at them online or even try them out to see if he likes them. My guess is he will! :001_smile:

My boys liked the Biscuit books. There is a whole series of them. While they may introduce a few new words, my boys were able to read these with more ease than others because most of the words are simple, and I remember with the first book at least, the story followed a pattern with some repetition. The story was still interesting and it felt like a real book. These were about the simplest books I found. There don't seem to be a lot of good books out there for the earliest readers.

What a great thread :)

My 3 and 4 year olds love the Bob books.

I See Sam books seem very similar, imo.

My 6yo loved the Progressive Phonics books.

Everyone has been ho-hum about the Starfall books, but we use them.

Off to look at some other things mentioned :)

ETA: I wanted to say that when my daughter was little, I would make her little books. They were usually about life, family, etc so a lot of sight words ("Jacob and Kimberly like to play cars." "Kimberly likes to help feed her little brother, Tyler."). But you can do it with phonics also, of course. Maybe something like, "Kimberly hugs the mom. Mom hugs Kimberly. Kimberly hugs the dad. Dad hugs Kimberly. Kimberly hugs Tyler. Can Tyler hug Kimberly? Kimberly hugs the dog. Sophie cannot hug Kimberly. Kimberly loves her family." Okay, this is off the cuff and obviously I'm not very good at it! I better work on it since I have some littles it'd be fun to do for :)

Edited by 2J5M9K

I'll second the Hop on Pop Dr. Seuss book. I just picked up a copy because they had Dr. Seuss books on sale at Walmart for five bucks each, and it's perfect for the level dd is at right now.

We also have two little box sets of Scholastic readers that dd likes. Each set has books leveled one through five, though all the levels are very easy, and comes with an audio cd. We found them at the thrift store for two bucks a set.

I'm using the Bob Books 1st collection with my 3YO twins. It is working very well. They love to read an Actual Book and I usually end up copying OPGTR on a white board b/c they aren't thrilled with that actual, physical book.

I taught my 5YO DD to read using OPGTR and the entire Bob series. Initially I got them from the library but I couldn't always get the ones I wanted when I needed them. For only 1 child though, I'd recommend relying on the library. Buying made sense for us with 3 kids.

A cat.

A fat cat.

A tan fat cat.

A tan fat cat ran.

:iagree: I used these with dd when she was almost 4yo. She loved getting the stickers that come with the books. By the time she was 4.5yo, though, she didn't need them anymore and had graduated to library books.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all SO much for these incredible responses. I can't wait to take the time this weekend to sit down with pen, paper and Internet and determine which ones to try first for my little guy.

I appreciate all of the input--there are so many great suggestions here, and they look so promising. Thank you so much!!!!

Dick and Jane books come to mind. Also, Step Into Reading Level 1 books are VERY basic and there's a wide variety. Scholastic has leveled readers.. A & B books would work I think. I haven't really looked at BOB books yet.

Dick and Jane aren't going to be phonics based -- but they're great for sight words and repetitive language. We also liked Elephant and Piggie...

I am going to put in a plug for Brand New Readers. These are similar to BOB books in that the come in box sets but the illustrations are much nicer and the stories are more engaging and funny. My son loved them when the time was right as did all his little buddies who I passed them down to.

I would go with the I See Sam books as others have mentioned. They move VERY slowly and give LOTS of practice with each new sound and word (but you can go through the books at his own pace). They also keep things like b and d, p and q far apart in the instruction so one is mastered before the other is taught.

I am going to put in a plug for Brand New Readers. These are similar to BOB books in that the come in box sets but the illustrations are much nicer and the stories are more engaging and funny. My son loved them when the time was right as did all his little buddies who I passed them down to.

my dd loved these. she will still talk years later about how funny they were. they are all sight words, but great for the "I read a real book!" feeling that gets kids to want to learn to read.