Menu

TOG Roll Call

Hedgehogs4

Hi Everyone! I've been seeing so many posts about TOG recently, with everyone thinking about what they'll use for next year, I thought it might be helpful to do a roll call and find out just how many of us there are.

If you currently use TOG or are going to use it in the upcoming year 2012-2013, please post what year you are doing, what levels your students are, if you are using a co-op specifically for TOG, and if you have a blog, include the link! :001_smile:

I'll go first!

We are using TOG year 3 this year. I am teaching D and LG levels. We will be covering year four next school year. We do attend a co-op with 5 other families.

My blog is linked in my signature line, and I do write about TOG frequently.

Edited by Hedgehogs4

Looking at it. Still need to learn more first. I am asking all the people I know who use it what they like about it. I have heard that there is so much work for the teacher. I like the IG from what I can see just not sure yet. I was thinking of SL but their history line up does not match up to where I am. I am looking for something that comes planned out, has some hands on activities, uses great literature including living books that I can purchase the books and spend a few days putting our year together. :lurk5:

We're in Year 2 this year with my DD (2nd grade). We use all LG books for history. For literature I sometimes substitute other titles because her reading level is at least 5th grade.

Next year we'll be in Year 3 with my 1st grade DS added. My DD will go to all UG for literature. I'm not sure about history yet. I will likely read history aloud to both of them together, so I will probably use a combination of LG and UG books. A friend of mine has many of the LG books, so my plan is to go through those to see which would be suitable for my oldest. I always plan one unit at a time!

I do blog at Barefoot in the Park.

We're using Year 1 this year in a co-op with 11 other families. This is our first year with TOG & the co-op's first year of existence. We plan to participate again next year, and the co-op is planning to grow.

I have a D, LG & K. Our co-op recommended LG for grades 1-3, so our K is attending the Pre-k class at co-op, and I'm using MFW K with him at home.

This is our first year using TOG. We are using year 2. I have LG and D students. We are in a co-op with 4 other families. We will have 6 families next year.

We plan to continue with this. I have learned so much about how to work with TOG this year, and I foresee only getting more efficient as time goes on. It is not nearly the huge undertaking I thought it would be! I'm not a blogger, so no blog. :)

We spent a little longer on Y2 finishing U4 the beginning of this school year, there is just so much there I couldn't rush. We have plans to finish Y3 U1-U3 before summer. Y4 just arrived and I want to have that finished in the 2012-2013 school year. I am teaching LG, UG, and D.

We're doing Year 2 this year and plan to do Year 3 for 2012-2013. I'll have 1 doing a D/R combo (some D books, some R books), 1 doing all D, and one doing UG or a UG/D combo. We do not belong to a TOG related co-op.

I have a blog but can't seem to be consistent about posting to it :tongue_smilie:. The link is in my signature.

Another happy TOG family here!

I started TOG when my oldest was in Kindergarten so we are finishing up our third year. Our new year starts July 1 and we will be using Year 4. Our kids will be an 8yo 3rd grader, 7yo 2nd grader, 5yo Kindy and 2yo busy.

We really love Tapestry- I am working the Tapestry booth at the NC convention this year and I'm so excited about it!

I am always mystified when people say that Tapestry requires so much planning & work for the Mom.

I spend 2-3 days each summer poring over my TOG manuals and planning for the entire year on a spreadsheet. It is easy peasy. I used to be a middle school teacher so I do have experience with planning older grades. Even so, looking ahead to the R & D work, I can see that it might take me 5 or 6 days of working in the afternoons or evenings to plan for everyone. Really, Tapestry has done all the work of researching for you so all that is left for you to do is to pick & choose what you want to cover.

We'll be starting our 3rd year with TOG this fall, with R/D/UG...

ToG has become the backbone of our homeschool. As the kids are starting to do more and more outside classes we really enjoy this "family subject/time".

I'll hold on to ToG as long as I possibly can!!

I am really tron as to what to do next year. I am loosely using TOG this year with oldest DD and some for younger DD with TGPOE. Oldest DD and my DS (Ker) are NOT rigorous kids. DD (8) is a rigorous kid. She fits well with the reading and workload. I think I am going to do OM 1st and 7th for 2 of them but continue with TOG for younger DD. Sigh...I really have no clue what the heck I am doing.:confused:

I'd love our Co-op to look at doing TOG for the 7th-12th, but it seems cost prohibitive. I mean.... for one student the total ends up being?? And for two... at different levels?? If it was in the "less expensive" range... we'd totally be there!! :) (We would need to do YR4...)

Our co-op is made up of all families who use TOG as their core curriculum. I don't think it would work as a co-op supplemental. KWIM? You'd have to have each family committing to use it for their whole families in order for it to work.

so...you are NOT using TOG?

Y2 now, going on to Y3 for 2012-2013 (appears we have several at the same point in the history cycle :))

I'll have all levels. My R student isn't very strong, but we'll try to keep pushing that direction.

Next year we will have made a complete TOG loop..back to where we started! :) That's like an important milestone, isn't it? :D

We've been baby stepping it. I was convinced TOG was the way we needed to go..so haven't fretted too much over 'doing it all' from the beginning.

Anyway...oh...no co-op. We are and have been always on our own.

Due to doubts and second guessing, I have decided to start TOG next year with Y4. I will have 2 D students and a UG student. I have been given all 4 years of Classic. From all that I have read, I am not sure how this is going to work but I need to give it a try. If it doesn't work, I'll just buy new.

We do not belong to a Co-op but I do have a blog and the link is in my siggie.

We are on our third year of using TOG. My dd8 does LG history and UG literature. My ds6 does LG...sometimes. I have struggled with feeling overwhelmed trying to plan TOG over the years, but now that my 2 oldest are able to "read to learn" it is much better.

I just bought Year 4 this morning. I will have 1 UG and 1 LG student next year. I had so much fun previewing the year.:D

Oh, and no blog or co-op here.

Well, I am debating starting TOG this fall or the next year. We were blessed with TOG Years 1 & 2 redesigned, but I already bought HOD CtC for the fall. We would be independent and I do not have a blog even though I should. :001_smile: We have a 12, 10, 8, 3, and 1 year old. I am looking forward to studying the same time periods!

Missy

This is our 4th year using TOG, we are currently in year 3 and will start the 2012-2013 school year with Unit 4 of year 3 and then move on to Y4.

This fall I will have 1 R / 1D/ 2 UG and 1 LG student. We do not participate in a TOG Co-op.

Using year 1 with a D and 2 LG. I'm coming back to it after a "what was I thinking" year with Classical Conversations. I will be merging TOG and some memory work from CC that applies to the actual thing we are learning. TOG is the core, CC memory work is the add on. I will not be in a community. I've used Year 3 and 4 in the past and we loved it. Again - don't know what I was thinking.

Beth

We are doing TOG year 2 this year. We often seem to only have time to read, read, read and discuss what we've read, but havnt had time to do the vocab, the maps after week 10 or so, or any crafts, etc with it.

We are in week 20 right now and are reading anything from lower grammar on up to Dialectic.

Im thinking that I will do year three next year, but I was thinking about following a spine book and just getting titles from TOG's selections on their site and also other books from the library.

But if I get my hands on year 3 cheap, I will do it again next year. I think I just havnt planned my weeks out well enough in advance, and maybe that's why I havnt been following it well.

I also often feel that we get the reading and discussion done, but don't seem to have time or energy to do much more. But we do have a small co-op and in our co-op we incorporate a TOG hands-on project or writing assignment as well as science. It's been one of my favorite parts. We spred Year 2 out over 2 years and we are currently finishing up Year 2. I love the literature selections and keep history as our core. I will probably continue with Year 3 next year.

what year you are doing, what levels your students are, if you are using a co-op specifically for TOG, and if you have a blog, include the link! :001_smile:

We are finishing up Y3 now, and will start in Sept 2012 with Year 4, UG & D levels (9DD, 12 DS)

We do meet weekly with another family that is using the same schedule we are & the two D students do the discussion together. I would do TOG even if they don't though.

I started with the last 2 units of Y1 classic and LG only, and loved it! (even jumping in in the middle)

Did Y2 up to the 2nd unt clasic, then bought 3-4 redesigned, and just did red. 3 this year

Edited by lcelmer

:seeya:

Hey, everyone!

I'm almost never on the boards anymore, but figured I'd pop in.

Heading in to my 2nd go-around with TOG: next year's I'll be teaching Year 1 for the 2nd time to an R, 2 D's, and an LG/UG 8-year old who is a voracious reader.

With my oldest in college, doing a TOG-Like rotation for her first four semesters in an Honors program, I've sure seen the fruit! We're so busy now (long story) that we almost always stick to just the History, Lit, and Writing. . . . but I wouldn't trade the discussions for anything. They are the highlight of my week!

And on another note - I'm the TOG Booth Hostess for Alabama, so if you're in that neck of the woods, look me up!

I just purchased TOG Yr 2, and we plan to use that next year. I am in the process of figuring out if we'll be doing UG and LG or just LG or some kind of mix. I will have a 4th grader and 1st grader with 2 more littles.

No co-op, but we do have friends who will be doing Y2 as well - LG - and hope to coordinate some projects or field trips with them.

We just started with TOG. We had done part of a prior unit, but we are going full into it with Y3U3. I also purchased Y3U4 and all of year 4 for planning for next year. We school year round.

I have a LG who struggles even with that (he is 6) and a 9yo/4th grader who is doing D level most weeks, and sometimes reads the UG work as well (but not the extra writing/sheets). He loves his reading and history. My LG hates it all currently, hates history in general, but I'm hoping ...

Guest tazmom3

This was our first year with TOG - we're finishing up Y2 with 1UG and 1LG. We'll continue on next year with Y3 moving my son up to D, my dd up to UG, and adding in my K student with some of the activities and stories.

I was a little worried taking on TOG this year, but I LOVE it! It just works so well for us. I consider this our learning curve year. I am just now, at the end of the year, figuring out how many ways I could have used TOG this year but didn't.

I wish we had a TOG co-op in the area, but we don't.

2012-2013 will be our 10th year with TOG Lord willing. We will be in Year 3.

We've used it at all levels, currently UG/Dialectic (we're transitioning) and Rhetoric (history only).

I am involved with a TOG co-op for now at least. It's our 4th year.

I have a blog (below) but I don't have much time to post to it any more.

2012-2013 will be our 10th year with TOG Lord willing. We will be in Year 3.

We've used it at all levels, currently UG/Dialectic (we're transitioning) and Rhetoric (history only).

I am involved with a TOG co-op for now at least. It's our 4th year.

I have a blog (below) but I don't have much time to post to it any more.

Hey good to see you here. Your blog was very helpful to me when we were first starting. I was just over at your blog yesterday, looking for your posts on notebooks...

I love to see the longevity of TOG. It seems that when people use it, they really stick with it. 10 years! Good for you.

I'm about to push the button and order TOG for next year. It will be our first year, and we're starting with Year 1. I'll have one in each level, although my oldest (9th grade next year) has LDs but is bright and straddles the R/D line depending on what I'm asking of her. I think my 9yo may be a UG/LG mix also. It will be an interesting year! Hope I survive. :tongue_smilie:

I have a blog (in my sig) but haven't discussed TOG at all yet.

We are doing year 3. I started with year 1 and planning to study year 4. I'm not in a co-op. I just have a 3rd grader so we use LG/UG on lit and history. We are mixing depending on the availability of the books at the library. We are using the lapbook this year and I think it's good but time consuming for my dd.

Grace