Menu

Dressing For The Theatre?

Ok, maybe I'm weird, but...

I was always taught that you dress up for live theatre. That it's a formal event, you dress appropriately.

I was honestly stunned last night by the number of ppl wearing jeans. Jeans, hoodies, t shirts, plaid flannel shirts... (I saw one guy wearing a t shirt w/a beer logo on it, another w/the knees ripped out of his jeans)...

Is this the new 'normal'?

I was taught that you dress up as a sign of respect for the theatre, for the performance, for the actors.

Am I that out of step?

(If I am, I guess we can chalk it up to being an unsocialized homeschooling parent! :lol:)

We always dress for the theatre. I was raised that way and being in theatre, it is what you do. Many people don't though. Part of it is that you don't dress for Broadway any more. Two years ago we went to Mary Poppins in NYC, we went in shorts and t-shirts. That is what people do. We toured all over NYC for the day, ate dinner, bit did not have time to go 30 minutes back to my sister's apartment to change. I felt very word about it, but we were in the majority. It makes me sad.

I am with you and in addition to dressing nice, I am stuck on always wearing black to the theater.

I feel sort of the same way about air travelling. After years in the business and being required to wear professional attire while in the air, I still dress to fly. I know it's much more comfortable to travel in comfy clothes but I just can't bring myself to do it.

We do a lot of community theatre. I have always been a dress for the theatre person but at the local theatres, I confess that we don't fancy dress but I do try to do respectable dress, think more business casual. When attending events at the Broadway style theatre, philharmonic etc, we definitely dress nicer. I am taking the girls to see Wicked this summer, and they will definitely dress up for that.

I feel sort of the same way about air travelling. After years in the business and being required to wear professional attire while in the air, I still dress to fly. I know it's much more comfortable to travel in comfy clothes but I just can't bring myself to do it.

That's funny. When I had to fly for business meetings, just a few, we always wore regular clothing and kept our business attire unwrinkled. We would arrive at the hotel, immediately change, and go to our meeting. In fact, we often flew back out the same day so the hotel room was strictly for changing.

We've been going to quite a bit of theater the past year. The smaller theaters where we are much encourage a come as you are atmosphere where you might feel overdressed in full on evening wear and tend to to comedy or family freindly shows. The bigger theaters with travelling broadway shows or adult shows people definitely dress up for. I think both experiences can be great. :001_smile:

Yes, unfortunately it is a new normal, along with loudly munching on food from crinkly wrappers and guzzling beer :glare: Manners in the theater have devolved into those at sporting events.

I was also taught you dress up, you don't eat in the theater (that used to not be allowed -- only during intermission and not in the theater itself!) and pay attention and respect the actors. It's so hard to have to explain to my young children why they can't have candy and other assorted crap in the theater when others do, and why I expect them to behave better than the boorish adults around them.

"Boorish." I love that word ;)

Edited to add: I agree casual attire is fine for community theater and park performances, but the ones I'm talking about are $70-$100 Broadway Across American shows. They're not cheap and they are more formal affairs. I also agree with the poster who said something to the effect that the way the majority of the theater dresses dictates how they act. The people dressed up to go to the theater have been more respectful and quiet in my experience, than the people who wear jeans and t-shirts. Last time we went to the theater, I had to tell the people in back of me to stop talking during the show. These were orchestra seats for a touring South Pacific show.

Edited by jujsky

Imp,

I have taught my family differently, but then they live with a classical pianist who used to perform professionally.

One of the problems that I have had in the past was that if a venue had too many of the too casual crowd, the attitude of "too casual" seemed to follow with the clothing. Hate to say it, but how you dress for an occasion can affect how you behave at that occasion. The well dressed crowds did not talk during the performance, kept their cell phones turned off, didn't text, etc. Their manners were HUGELY better than the casual crowd as a general rule. Certainly not all were like this....if jeans and a t-shirt was the best the person had, very likely they were still doing their best which meant acting their best. KWIM! But, the slob crowd, I hate to say it, were atrocious...talking, laughing, on their cell phones....I'd stand up to take a bow and they weren't even paying attention...texting their friends. Since I was not a major known pianist, mostly local and only performed smaller venues within a three hr. drive of my home, I was able to see my crowd...no huge concert halls to deal with...it was upsetting...all that work and people talking on their phones! Once it became "the norm" to hear cell phones ringing during my performance, I would axe that venue from list. I had one place that was very upset because they would get $35.00 a ticket for my Biscotti with Bach recitals and sell out all 200 seats. But, they did nothing to control the crowd and I didn't need the money so badly that I had to put up with the rudeness. At that point, most of the people were not even attempting to dress up...yet I'm up on stage in an evening gown. Take a hint people....I don't expect you to be in evening wear, but shirts without stains and holes would be really nice and turn the %^%$^& cell phone off please!

So, coming at if from the otherside, I will say that the concept of it being offensive to be ill mannered and dress too casually or at least "slobbish" for formal events is lost on this generation. They aren't being taught this.

I have no desire to see a return to formal wear and uber dressy clothes that people cannot afford...ticket prices are already through the roof and we'll soon have a return to music and theatre being only for the "haves". That is absolutely something I am fundamentally against. But, the general rule of being neat and clean, wearing the nicest that you have, and then conveying that respect in action does need to be actively taught!

Faith

Yes, you dress for the theatre. Unless you've been raised in a barn, as my grandmother would say. :lol:

My dd is a ballerina, and I am always shocked at folks who think they can come to the ballet in a very fancy theatre (not an outdoor performance in a park...entirely different dress code there), wearing jeans and tank tops. They are not admitted. It states on the ticket that evening performances require business dress at minimum. They lighten up on the dress code before 8 PM, but honestly, is it asking too much to wear some nice khakis and a collared shirt for men and a dress or nice pants and a shirt for women? No one is suggesting a tux or a formal evening gown (although some people do show up dressed like that, and I love it!), but please...your pants should have more material than holes and your underwear should never be visible!

I always dress for the theatre and make my kids too. I noticed the last time we went to a live performance (Love According to John) there was about 1/2 the theatre goers dressed up and the other half in whatever they wore that day. I even noticed a few in pj bottoms. If it was a little community theatre I would wear nice clothes but not necessarily dressed up. For the symphony, ballet, or other large performances we all get dressed up which sometimes involves going shopping for outfits, and a trip to the salon for hair to be styled. It is a rare treat to get to go to a live performance, we take getting ready seriously ;)

Wow I'm shocked by the manners issue! We've been to like 20 theater shows the past year and probably a dozen or more concerts and recitals and I've had no complaints about the behavior of people around me and I consider myself very picky about that kind of thing. My kids started music lessons as preschoolers so they've always been great about sitting through concerts that have been less than exciting for them. I can't imagine buying a ticket and not wanting to hear/see the performance. I also can't imagine going to a ballet with a dress code and not dressing either. Weird. :confused:

That's funny. When I had to fly for business meetings, just a few, we always wore regular clothing and kept our business attire unwrinkled. We would arrive at the hotel, immediately change, and go to our meeting. In fact, we often flew back out the same day so the hotel room was strictly for changing.

Oh, I was in the travel industry, there's the difference.

Yes, unfortunately it is a new normal, along with loudly munching on food from crinkly wrappers and guzzling beer :glare: Manners in the theater have devolved into those at sporting events.

I was also taught you dress up, you don't eat in the theater (that used to not be allowed -- only during intermission and not in the theater itself!) and pay attention and respect the actors. It's so hard to have to explain to my young children why they can't have candy and other assorted crap in the theater when others do, and why I expect them to behave better than the boorish adults around them.

"Boorish." I love that word ;)

You know, I also see it as a NEW normal, but suddenly I had a flash image of what the Globe Theater must have been like.... maybe we're just coming full circle after all.:confused:

We dress up. I care not about the barbarization that is going on - my family is not going to partake in it.

We dress up for theatre, ballet, opera, classical music performances, promotions, nice restaurants... all situations in which more formal dress code is required. I was raised this way, I cannot fathom not dressing up for those circumstances.

However, we are in general more formal dressers, so it is typically not a big deal for us.

This discussion reminds me of the time we went to see "The Sound of Music" by a community theatre group in a high school. (I don't remember what we wore.) This was not my kids' first time in the theatre and they knew to behave. (They were 4, I think.) We sat in the very back seat. However, some permissive aunties came with us and pooh-poohed my strict orders to sit still and be silent.

All was fine until the kissing scene. At that point everything got completely quiet. Then a little voice was heard throughout half of the auditorium (gotta love acoustics):

"eeew."

Then chuckles everywhere.

My hand was over someone's mouth the rest of the evening.

See, this wasn't community theatre. This was a travelling Broadway production, tickets almost $100 a shot.

To me, you pay $100 per seat, it calls for more formal attire than jeans and a hoodie. :glare:

And, to me it also makes a difference that it was an evening performance, not a matinee.

Ok, maybe I'm weird, but...

I was always taught that you dress up for live theatre. That it's a formal event, you dress appropriately.

I was honestly stunned last night by the number of ppl wearing jeans. Jeans, hoodies, t shirts, plaid flannel shirts... (I saw one guy wearing a t shirt w/a beer logo on it, another w/the knees ripped out of his jeans)...

Is this the new 'normal'?

It depends entirely on what kind of theatre and where you are (and a little bit on whether it's an afternoon or evening performance).

Here in Central Florida, jeans and t-shirts are typical at pretty much all matinees, except for opera and ballet. A show that draws older folks will tend to bring in a dressier audience, but if I were seeing, say, Rent or Spring Awakening, I would expect very casual wear on all audience members.

Evening shows will see people a little dressier, although it still depends on which theatre and what kind of performance. Again, opera and ballet audiences tend to be both older and more formal, while regional and local productions, especially of more contemporary pieces, will be more casual.

In New York, I would still feel comfortable in jeans at most matinees, although I would probably choose a dressier top. For an evening show, I would dress up more, but I wouldn't be surprised to see jeans on some audience members, especially younger people.

I wonder if the decline in dress standards is down to fewer people actually going to extremely formal theatre environments say Opera houses. Dh and I have worked at some of the most formal theatres in the UK, places like Glyndebourne, Royal Opera House Covent Garden, Royal Albert Hall etc.. These places have an air of formality so you learn to dress to fit in but if a person's only experience of theatre is kids shows or local community theatre it may never have crossed their mind to dress up in any theatre.

Glyndebourne required even back stage staff to wear black tie if there was any risk of them being seen by the public. It's just a different environment, but then ticket prices are eye watering so it is just something most people don't experience.

You know, I also see it as a NEW normal, but suddenly I had a flash image of what the Globe Theater must have been like.... maybe we're just coming full circle after all.:confused:

LOL this is what I think every time I head to the opera, too. I dress for the theater and ask the kids to do so as well, but our opera company had a big push a few years ago that included reminding folks that the point was to COME, not to go out and buy fancy clothes for the occasion. I've seen everything from goth with multi-colored fluorescent hair to black tie. I have NOT seen horrible manners, thankfully. I think that would be different.

Then again, like AuntieM said, folks in the Globe theater were incredibly ... um... interactive.

I just went to a community theatre performance Saturday night. I wore a nice pair of jeans and a blouse, but I was working the concession stand and just snuck in the back to watch the performance. (There is no eating in the theatre, so the concession stand is closed during the actual show.) The regular patrons all wore at least business casual.

Dh used to work for an airline. I can remember dressing up to fly, and making sure the boys had dress shoes that fit. Sneakers and jeans were not permitted if you were flying non-rev.

There would have been everything....well dressed upper class and the unbathed peasants...and talk aboit a rude audience!

I wonder if the decline in dress standards is down to fewer people actually going to extremely formal theatre environments say Opera houses. Dh and I have worked at some of the most formal theatres in the UK, places like Glyndebourne, Royal Opera House Covent Garden, Royal Albert Hall etc.. These places have an air of formality so you learn to dress to fit in but if a person's only experience of theatre is kids shows or local community theatre it may never have crossed their mind to dress up in any theatre.

Glyndebourne required even back stage staff to wear black tie if there was any risk of them being seen by the public. It's just a different environment, but then ticket prices are eye watering so it is just something most people don't experience.

We dress up for all the shows we produce. Many parents follow suit. They see how we dress and they bring siblings dressed well now too. We had one 8 year old ushering in the follies dress I have ever seen.

We dress up. I care not about the barbarization that is going on - my family is not going to partake in it.

We dress up for theatre, ballet, opera, classical music performances, promotions, nice restaurants... all situations in which more formal dress code is required. I was raised this way, I cannot fathom not dressing up for those circumstances.

However, we are in general more formal dressers, so it is typically not a big deal for us.

:hurray::hurray::iagree:You go, girl!

I agree wholeheartedly.

:iagree:

Our family dresses up for everything -- usually just one level more than one would expect. I do notice that for anything we have attended with a group, the NEXT time there is an event, others have stepped up their level of dress as well -- so perhaps there is a way to influence in this regard.

I am going to the Kennedy Center this week with all three kids -- we will dress up -- there will be some there who look like they have to rush home and clean their garage.:glare:

DD12 has a 'ball' on Sunday Evening -- it is 'formal' -- the women who run the Cotillion mean 'formal' -- they also mean what they say in their email that anyone who does not dress in 'formal' will not participate and will be asked to leave. FTR, the formal requirement for the ball has been known to everyone for the past 12 mos.....it isn't a surprise to anyone and attendance is not mandatory.

Edited by MariannNOVA

I agree with you imp - you dress up.

I attend theater in a major city - but the one that birthed "grunge" for a reason. We go, there are a mix of black tie evening gowns and jeans and flannel shirts . . . . where they sit is generally segregated by ticket prices.

:iagree:

Our family dresses up for everything -- usually just one level more than one would expect. I do notice that for anything we have attended with a group, the NEXT time there is an event, others have stepped up their level of dress as well -- so perhaps there is a way to influence in this regard.

I am going to the Kennedy Center this week with all three kids -- we will dress up -- there will be some there who like they have to rush home and clean their garage.:glare:

DD12 has a 'ball' on Sunday Evening -- it is 'formal' -- the women who run the Cotillion mean 'formal' -- they also mean what they say in their email that anyone who does not dress in 'formal' will not participate and will be asked to leave. FTR, the formal requirement for the ball has been known to everyone for the past 12 mos.....it isn't a surprise to anyone and attendance is not mandatory.

This is excellent! Thanks for teaching this and influencing others.

When I subbed for semester in band, I took my beginner, intermediate, and advanced bands (all middle schoolers) to a Young People's Concert at the DSO. Lots of young folks and a Saturday morning performance so the event coordinators and performers do not expect a dressy crowd, but the DSO stills shows in black tie and for my students from podunkville USA, this was their first exposure to evening dress. The ushers are always in evening dress, etc. and orchestra hall is a lovely venue. I told my students that they couldn't wear jeans, boys shirt's had to have collars, nothing could be stained or torn, girls had to have nice pantsuits or skirts/sweaters or dresses. For my family's on low income, I noted each student's size and asked for loaner clothes from others. If tennis shoes were all they had, then they had to bring them to school on Friday so my teacher's aide could help me clean them up as spiffy as possible...you'd be surprised what that white-wall tire cleaner stuff and a toothbrush will do. Additionally, it inspired our school principal to start a clothing closet of really nice clothes in a variety of sizes that students could borrow for more formal occasions.

I was so proud of my bunch. They looked great and it really showed on their faces. Additionally, they were the best looking group in the entire crowd and believe me there were schools from West Bloomfield Hills and Grosse Pointe there! The ushers noticed and when it came time to honor a school group by meeting Maestro Wilkins personally and being invited to the stage to talk with the first chair of each section about their own band instrument, it was my group that was chosen. You should have seen the look on their faces. I'm convinced it was because they were well prepped both on manners and they'd taken the time to dress up...it made them seem like the serious kids that would not waste the orchestra members time. My flute section talked for weeks about how to manage circular breathing on their instruments.

So, I'm all for even just borrowing a decent pair of pants and shirt for such an occasion or hitting the resale stores. There is a frame of mind that goes with dressing for events.

However, that said, I can live with the jeans if people would just NOT text during the performance or talk outloud about the day's events! :glare:

Faith

This is excellent! Thanks for teaching this and influencing others.

When I subbed for semester in band, I took my beginner, intermediate, and advanced bands (all middle schoolers) to a Young People's Concert at the DSO. Lots of young folks and a Saturday morning performance so the event coordinators and performers do not expect a dressy crowd, but the DSO stills shows in black tie and for my students from podunkville USA, this was their first exposure to evening dress. The ushers are always in evening dress, etc. and orchestra hall is a lovely venue. I told my students that they couldn't wear jeans, boys shirt's had to have collars, nothing could be stained or torn, girls had to have nice pantsuits or skirts/sweaters or dresses. For my family's on low income, I noted each student's size and asked for loaner clothes from others. If tennis shoes were all they had, then they had to bring them to school on Friday so my teacher's aide could help me clean them up as spiffy as possible...you'd be surprised what that white-wall tire cleaner stuff and a toothbrush will do. Additionally, it inspired our school principal to start a clothing closet of really nice clothes in a variety of sizes that students could borrow for more formal occasions.

I was so proud of my bunch. They looked great and it really showed on their faces. Additionally, they were the best looking group in the entire crowd and believe me there were schools from West Bloomfield Hills and Grosse Pointe there! The ushers noticed and when it came time to honor a school group by meeting Maestro Wilkins personally and being invited to the stage to talk with the first chair of each section about their own band instrument, it was my group that was chosen. You should have seen the look on their faces. I'm convinced it was because they were well prepped both on manners and they'd taken the time to dress up...it made them seem like the serious kids that would not waste the orchestra members time. My flute section talked for weeks about how to manage circular breathing on their instruments.

So, I'm all for even just borrowing a decent pair of pants and shirt for such an occasion or hitting the resale stores. There is a frame of mind that goes with dressing for events.

However, that said, I can live with the jeans if people would just NOT text during the performance or talk outloud about the day's events! :glare:

Faith

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

and i hate the texting thing too.

We were on Broadway this past Saturday. Everyone was very casual.

I remember when we first moved to NYC/NJ in the late 70's early 80's Broadway was a MUCH more formal affair. Over time it became less and less so. Most Broadway shows are seen by tourists. I don't remember the exact percent, but it was something like 75% of the ticket sales came from tourist. I think that has a huge impact.

Picture your average NYC tourist. Jeans and sneakers/walking shoes, carrying shopping bags of goodies they have bought. They have possibly just stood in line for two hours to get tickets at TKTS for a show that day. Most don't have time, or want to waste time going back to a hotel room. And if you aren't staying in the city, say staying with friends (like so many of our visitors do) you have to get from where you are to Penn Station, then hop a 30 minute train ride. I don't think so. Not to mention that would be an extra $15 in just LIRR tickets alone.

Plus look what's happened to Times Square. It's Disneyified! M&M stores, Hershey store, Toys 'R Us, Hard Rock Cafe, and everything like that. It is totally different from how Times Square used to be. The area changed itself to bring casual tourists to them and make them comfortable there (and there by willing to spend more money there vs. a museum). They promoted the whole casual thing. Every tourist book talking about Broadway states how causual is perfectly fine.

Broadway in NYC sets the tone for musicals and plays. I'd really like to think because that has been made so casual the rest of the theater scene around the country has just followed suit. Unfortunately, I actually think it's just we are lazy and sloppy as a culture anymore, which is sad.

I do think, at least around here, people dress up more for things like the opera and Lincoln center type performances. However I think those performance tickets are bought more often by locals than tourists, so that to me make big difference.

We were on Broadway this past Saturday. Everyone was very casual.

I remember when we first moved to NYC/NJ in the late 70's early 80's Broadway was a MUCH more formal affair. Over time it became less and less so. Most Broadway shows are seen by tourists. I don't remember the exact percent, but it was something like 75% of the ticket sales came from tourist. I think that has a huge impact.

Picture your average NYC tourist. Jeans and sneakers/walking shoes, carrying shopping bags of goodies they have bought. They have possibly just stood in line for two hours to get tickets at TKTS for a show that day. Most don't have time, or want to waste time going back to a hotel room. And if you aren't staying in the city, say staying with friends (like so many of our visitors do) you have to get from where you are to Penn Station, then hop a 30 minute train ride. I don't think so. Not to mention that would be an extra $15 in just LIRR tickets alone.

Plus look what's happened to Times Square. It's Disneyified! M&M stores, Hershey store, Toys 'R Us, Hard Rock Cafe, and everything like that. It is totally different from how Times Square used to be. The area changed itself to bring casual tourists to them and make them comfortable there (and there by willing to spend more money there vs. a museum). They promoted the whole casual thing. Every tourist book talking about Broadway states how causual is perfectly fine.

Broadway in NYC sets the tone for musicals and plays. I'd really like to think because that has been made so casual the rest of the theater scene around the country has just followed suit. Unfortunately, I actually think it's just we are lazy and sloppy as a culture anymore, which is sad.

I do think, at least around here, people dress up more for things like the opera and Lincoln center type performances. However I think those performance tickets are bought more often by locals than tourists, so that to me make big difference.

I agree with what you have written -- I do think that 'casual' is fine -- but casual does not have to messy.

We attended dear niece's graduation recital at Juilliard last April and went to dinner at a restaurant across from Lincoln Center (pick one - any one) -- and, yes, I think in that area one sees more locals than tourists -- everyone I saw at the restaurant, at lincoln center and at juilliard was dressed impeccably with the exception of one of my sister's friends who came to dinner from her office downtown. She is a VP; I've known her since she was in college and her kids are out of college now - she was wearing something that you might throw on when you run out to the grocery store late at night. I was mystified.

Maybe the entire system works better if each individual has to go through the process of very formal to casual -- as opposed to just being told 'casual.' Perhaps one has a more finely tuned barometer of 'casual' if one has personal knowledge of what 'not casual' is.

Perhaps, folks are confused about 'casual' and 'day at the water park.' :001_huh:

We always dress up (unless it's a school-groups-only matinee, in which case we're at least presentable).

Like the non-rev flyers, we're often at the theater on comp tickets. We don't want the person who paid the big bucks for the seat next to ours thinking that maybe the show wasn't a big deal enough to pay that much! I learned early on that kids in a show should bring a nice dress to throw on if they are likely to mingle with the audience before or after the show; a hoodie and pj pants just don't mix well with evening wear!

There are plenty of nice clothes in the thrifts, or to borrow from friends, and "nice" doesn't have to mean expensive.

Perhaps, folks are confused about 'casual' and 'day at the water park.' :001_huh:

Okay, if I see bikinis at the DSO, I'm going to explode..yep...pieces of me all over the patrons!

You are right...so much has to do with exposure and I think that this generation may be sorely lacking in exposure. I remember when I was in elementary school, we had a harpsichordist come to our tiny little hamlet and perform on our tiny little stage. The principal gently tried to remind every one every.single.day two weeks prior to the performance to wear the best that they could - multiple notes went home in the month prior to the event. We were reminded how to behave - consequences for poor manners were reiterated and these were OLD SCHOOL teachers who would have followed through without batting an eyelash. Teachers spent the hr. previous to the recital hauling children into the bathroom for face and hand washing, or running to the office to see if there was a better shirt or whatever for some child. (They also kept a clothing closet.)

We had more than one occasion of this caliber during middle school and it was the same thing...when we were taken to a theatre to see a dress rehearsal of Snow White, ...hammer manners into us, get everyone as dressed up/cleaned up as possible. In high school, we had a dress code for the three times we went to the county courthouse to observe civil court in session for government class. Dressed inappropriately, you ended up spending the day in the library doing grunt work for the librarian and the custodian including vacuuming air vents and wiping down books, dusting shelves, etc. It was advertised in advance and students were encouraged to borrow clothes if necessary or put their name on a list of needing X in X size so that the secretary could advertise to the community that donations of this and that were needed. No excuses but the school also recognized the need to possibly help students come up with appropriate outfits if they didn't personally own dress clothes.

I had a band director that warned his symphonic band that the dress code was black from the waist down (including shoes), white from the waist up, for weeks and weeks prior to the concert. He kept telling them, go to the Goodwill, borrow your dad or mom's office shoes, go downtown and ask around...see who will loan you what you need, etc. DO NOT SHOW UP OUT OF DRESS CODE! So some rule breaker showed up that night with black pants and white shirt but WHITE tennis shoes. They were new shoes too. Braggin that he told his parents he needed new shoes but didn't want to buy black because that was "uncool". Well guess what...Mr. B. had a can of black spray paint in his closet waiting for such an occasion. Smarty pants was told to remove his shoes and when he did, Mr. B. took them outside and spray painted them black! The principal totally supported our band director. :D Ahhhhhh, the memories!

This lack of exposure and acceptance of low expectations is one reason that dad has 20 somethings come to his business to interview of for jobs and they wear ripped jeans, stained -shirts, and look like they've just rolled out of bed. Apparently, they were either never trained or they are lazy. I'm sure some are lazy...I'm sure more have never been properly trained and society is too accepting of sloppiness.

Faith

[quote name=FaithManor;3655384I'm sure some are lazy...I'm sure more have never been properly trained and society is too accepting of sloppiness.

Faith

Lazy' date=' yes. The more disturbing possibility is ignorance -- or rebellion.

Before dd12 was born, I was with a govt contractor at a govt facility in NJ. There was one individual who was with the same contractor I was.

He was in his late 30s.

He wore THIS t-shirt to the office probably 3 out of 4 days a week.

4115ZYictTL._SX385_.jpgNo one ever said a word to him about it. It was ridiculous that he wasn't told to wear something 'appropriate' for a professional environment -- and if he didn't know what appropriate was, he should have been stood in front of a mirror and had it pointed out to him that the rolling stones t-shirt was NOT appropriate.

I did say someting to him about it once -- but it was totally out of context as far as office wear.;)

A couple of weeks ago, the behavior and dress of the theater audience was discussed with a great deal of humor. (Illuminated crotch, indeed!) Here's the link: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347752

In this thread, I loved the observation about Shakespeare and the Globe Theater. We may well have come full circle.

To answer the OP: We tend toward "nicely dressed" for most theater and music events (e.g., dark dress pants for the gals, good shoes, pretty accessories, dress coats, etc.). For the opera and ballet, though, we usually dress up a bit more -- skirts or dresses, for example.

As I mentioned in the linked thread, we generally have very good to truly awesome seats at each venue, yet we have seen it all at all ticket levels, including ghastly garb in Orchestra Center and ballgowns in Upper Balcony. And during our last two adventures, South Pacific at the Cadillac Palace (Broadway in Chicago) and Leif Ove Andsnes at Chicago Symphony Center, bad behavior was exhibited by both the tattered jeans crowd and the ladies who lunch (and toss their furs on the patrons seated behind them!).

Earlier this month, we saw Joshua Bell play like a god at Symphony Center. That crowd comprises a lot of much older patrons, many of whom are subscribers. Most of them dress well but seem to have become, shall we say, noisy with age. Bell frowned and winced at the coughers and seat rattlers. Oh, and did the inappropriate clappers ever set his teeth on edge. Heh, heh, heh.

Anyway, interesting topic. I last rattled on about it after a pretty bad experience at the opera (related entry here). I wrote, in part:

But some of the things that delighted the audience in this fairy-tale opera -- the (badly) dancing animals, for instance, the children clad in Chicago team jerseys, and Papageno's English outburst -- struck me as more "Opera for Dummies" than opera that appeals to the masses (because I really don't think those two phrases were meant to be synonymous). Apparently, John von Rhein shares my view, although writing in Tuesday's Chicago Tribune, he also notes:

Monday's audience seemed to find the gobs of shtick and childlike whimsy in Matthew Lata's restaging of August Everding's well-worn 1986 production to their liking, so perhaps we critical churls who complain about over-familiarity should keep our carping to ourselves.

Well, color me unabashedly churlish, then (even though, with but three operas in my knapsack, I can hardly be called over-familiar), because I left feeling distinctly dissatisfied last night. Unfairly, perhaps, part of my dissatisfaction may have nothing to do with the kitschy staging. You see, while I utterly and completely embrace the idea of appealing to groundlings, and I realize that everyone is an opera virgin once, I just don't think it's uncharitable to ask that said groundlings and virgins behave better than they did last night.

Some carping, then, that I simply can't keep to myself:

Don't share a snack that requires repeated extractions from a loudly crinkling plastic bag.

Don't place your coat or bag in any seat but your own.

Don't laugh too loudly.

Don't talk during the performance. Not even to tell others not to talk.

Don't disregard the request to silence your phone and electronic devices.

Don't evacuate your nasal passages during an aria. In fact, avoid evacuating your nasal passages during the performance. Period.

Don't race for the exit before the program has concluded.

:iagree: It's been 10 years since I left Manhattan, but we used to laugh when we went to shows. Always easy to pick out someone who likely lived in/near NYC v. someone who didn't. It's always the shoes! NYC people didn't wear white sneakers at night! It simply wasn't done. Let alone for the theater. :svengo:

While we are on the subject of plays and musicals, we saw "Avenue Q" on Saturday. It was HILARIOUS!!! Sort of like a dirty Sesame Street! LOL! And there was full frontal puppet nudity. Certainly not for kids, but very fun for adults!

My 16yo wanted to audition for a part in this when notice came out recently. Yes, she knows what it is. It's so sad when your kids inherit your love of doing scandalous things just to annoy people, sigh. Fortunately the notice explicitly stated age ranges well above what she'd be able to pull off.

Diva is lucky she has a mama that wants to dress up for the theater. You both looked so pretty. I'm surprised that Wolf let you out alone.

Actually, I was instructed to keep a close eye on Diva, and Diva was told that she wasn't to talk to any guys that wandered up and started trying to chat her up. "No trying to get a date!" is I think one of the commandments issued to her by Daddy. :lol::lol:

Daddy Wolf had it announced loud and clear just by looking at her last night that Diva isn't a little girl anymore, and I don't think he was completely happy w/that realization :lol:

:iagree: It's been 10 years since I left Manhattan, but we used to laugh when we went to shows. Always easy to pick out someone who likely lived in/near NYC v. someone who didn't. It's always the shoes! NYC people didn't wear white sneakers at night! It simply wasn't done. Let alone for the theater. :svengo:

And scrunchies! There was an episode on Sex and the City, something about scrunchies. They were out for dinner and Mr. Big saw a woman with a scrunchie and Carrie said she wasn't a New Yorker because she had a scrunchie. I think the woman said they were visiting from Ohio!