Menu

Who's with me on spending a fortune on 2012-2013?

hollyh

LOL. :) I saw the other thread on NOT spending $... and I think I am in a different boat. I have everything I need for at least the next two years for sure and yet I am continually looking for what CAN I buy... or what can I get for future years. Ugh. Serious problem. In all seriousness, how much do you think you spend for ONE kid/per year - let's say your first kid considering that is probably the one you will spend the most on.

LOL. :) I saw the other thread on NOT spending $... and I think I am in a different boat. I have everything I need for at least the next two years for sure and yet I am continually looking for what CAN I buy... or what can I get for future years. Ugh. Serious problem. In all seriousness, how much do you think you spend for ONE kid/per year - let's say your first kid considering that is probably the one you will spend the most on.

*sign me up* for this group. I love curricula, manipulatives, shiny new books...

Ha Ha! WELLLLLLL i am still buying up what we need for this year but suspect it will last us through the next school year as well. Last year I spent about 300 for all four kids... and ended up not liking any of it. So, I have overhauled it all and have purchased since december: TT, MCT, EFTTC, 100EZ (bought this Novemberish), ETC workbooks, SOTW1 and AG and the science encyclopedias recommended by WTM.... so my tally is right at 410 bucks...:confused: but should last us since we just started with it all in January and most is reusable for my girls later. I consider it expensive for this year.. not so much for next year; ha ha

ETA: I think my tally is decent for four kids, though..

Me!!! :D

I have one ds who NEEDS RS math (MM just didn't do it for him), both boys will be using AAS and I've decided to go with TOG for all 3. I just wrote my list today. :001_huh:

AND I've bought bunk beds for my boys, a high sleeper with storage for dd and a new dining table and chairs, all this week....:leaving:

I think we're going to spend about $1,200 on my daughter. Half of that alone goes toward her Classical Conversations tuition, and then I'm going to buy the new cards and even the science cards that go with the next cycle. I didn't buy the science cards this year, but they look neat. I'll try to save on language arts by using ETC books, the Progressive Phonics website, and Bob Books. For math, we'll continue with Math U See. We already have the blocks, so that saves us some money. But...I like the look of the Mathtacular Educational Kit as a supplement. http://www.sonlight.com/RM60.html. I also really want the Sonlight Science curriculum b/c it looks fun and very hands on. And I've thought about buying some other things that I probably do not need, but I want anyway. Like the Song School Latin, since we're doing some Latin in C.C.

Well, I will be spending quite a bit more this coming year for the first year of logic stage than I have before. So unfortunately I will be in your list :(

As for your first question, I didn't spend a lot for my first go round at K at all. I bought Rod and Staff 1st grade math for around $50 and a K workbook from Walmart.. maybe $5 that year. I used the library for readers and the internet for creating unit studies. So my first year wasn't too bad at all.

After that I would say I have averaged around $300 a year for 2 kids. For the younger I usually need to replace workbooks and for the older I need the next grade level of everything. I will be over that this year.

Me! I could have planned a much less expensive year if I had to but I prefer to use what I feel is best for my students, which unfortunately tends to be expensive (and also not the same for each student). I'm grateful that I have that option. My oldest will be in third grade next year and there was a big jump in how much I'm spending. So far I've bought:

AAS 4 (will start this spring and continue next year)

MCT LA Island level plus literature

Classical Writing Aesop A

Singapore 2A & 2B (started recently and will continue next year)

Latina Christiana 1

Minimus Secundus

My Pals Are Here 3/4

Still need to buy:

AAS 5

RightStart C (to start soon and continue next year)

more math to buy during next school year (not quite sure what combo we'll do yet, but it will be two programs)

La Clase Divertida 2

Artistic Pursuits K-3 book 2

books for our Ancient Egypt study

other read-alouds and literature books, though many will just be borrowed from the library

possibly Christian Studies 1

other faith formation resources (some have already been bought, still need to pick a few more)

other science resources to go along with our chosen curriculum

My lists are much smaller for the younger kids, who will be in first grade and preschool. A few things will be re-used, but I just won't be doing as much work with them. I also feel like it's easier to just do my own thing the second (or more) time around.

This has been my most expensive year so far. I went to"real" curriculum instead of piecing a lot together and using the library. The tally is at $1200 with another $900 planned in the coming months. I will have a monthly budget for the first time ever and this doesn't count music. But, for the first time I am resorting to someone else's schedules (MFW) and there seems to be SLIGHTLY more money than time.... Isn't that always the trade off?

:D

We're just getting started and I've just gotten really inspred by living math threads so rather than spending 100 on MUS, I'm gonna spend that much on kitchen table math (V1-3) and a bunch of other books my library doesn't have. AAS1, some history and french books not in the library. I have a pretty goo dlibrary for a small town, and interlibrary loans from any library in the province, but some things you just need to own lol. He's my first though, so most of this stuff I can see using agian with yonger siblings.

I DO plan on enrolling with an umbrella school that imposes no curriculum, just gives you money for curriculum. So hopefully, I won't be spending any of "our" money on school - just "school" money.:001_smile:

For the first time in 7 years of homeschooling, you can count me in this group! :D I told my husband that I really feel that my daughter needs more structure than what I'm providing, and that we need some outside accountability and support. We started looking into local private schools (public ones here are just not an option). After contemplating how drastically our lives would have to change in order to pay the tuition (it would require some significant sacrifices) hubby realized that the boxed curriculum programs that I'd been drooling over for years really weren't that expensive after all! :lol: So next year, I'll be using a program that is all planned out for me, that is comprehensive, that has teacher support, and that costs at least three times what I normally spend in a year. I AM SO EXCITED! :party:

I'm in, sadly . . . :glare:

I keep telling myself a) you are buying ahead, so "next year" (some next year??) will be cheaper, and b) dd5 will use the same stuff, so it's all good. I think I'm suffering from the delusion that this is all start-up costs, and eventually hsing will be less expensive . . . but I always find something new I can't live without!!

My big ticket items this year were TT 5,6, & 7 - figuring both girls would use them; LOF A-E so far, plus I've bought Fractions, Decimals & Beginning Algebra, so I'm doing my part to keep that franchise in businees ;). I also got all 3 Story of Science books (but they were half price!)

My biggest expense for next year will be MCT-Towns. I don't really need to buy anything else for next year, unless we decide to do more of the LOF elementary series before starting Fractions . . . but I am sure I will find something else I can't live without, or something at a bargain price to stick on the shelf for the future!!!

With 2 in high school and another using HOD Rev to Rev...yep...I'm in the "spending a fortune" boat, too. :glare: MFW US1 should be arriving today :D and I'm still trying to piece together Rev to Rev so I don't have to buy the entire package from HOD. And then let's not even think about German online, lab supplies for Chemistry, dual-credit classes for dd15, etc. Okay, I'm getting a headache. :001_huh:

Wow, obviously what I consider a fortune for our family really isn't compared to others ha ha!

Is it more or less? :lol:

For the first time in 7 years of homeschooling, you can count me in this group! :D I told my husband that I really feel that my daughter needs more structure than what I'm providing, and that we need some outside accountability and support. We started looking into local private schools (public ones here are just not an option). After contemplating how drastically our lives would have to change in order to pay the tuition (it would require some significant sacrifices) hubby realized that the boxed curriculum programs that I'd been drooling over for years really weren't that expensive after all! :lol: So next year, I'll be using a program that is all planned out for me, that is comprehensive, that has teacher support, and that costs at least three times what I normally spend in a year. I AM SO EXCITED! :party:

You CAN'T say that then not tell us what it is!! Spill the beans!! :D

:sad:

I'm coveting an entire Sonlight core......but it isn't going to happen. Unless we hit the lottery or something. I'm with you in spirit.

Which core? I have Core 3 (now called Core D) lit/history, read alouds, and readers for sale. Advanced readers, 5 day schedule. Missing: consumables (timeline stuff, Story of USA books.)

I keep telling myself a) you are buying ahead, so "next year" (some next year??) will be cheaper, and b) dd5 will use the same stuff, so it's all good. I think I'm suffering from the delusion that this is all start-up costs, and eventually hsing will be less expensive . . . but I always find something new I can't live without!!

My big ticket items this year were TT 5,6, & 7 - figuring both girls would use them; LOF A-E so far, plus I've bought Fractions, Decimals & Beginning Algebra.

I'm re-using some big ticket items (namely TT and SL) for ds now that we bought for dd. *Happy sigh of relief!* BUT, like you, I find things dd didn't have (LoF, for ex.) that I want for ds too. Thankfully, it's not too expensive.

Now, music. That add-on alone makes me qualify to post in this thread. No way to save there!

I have 8 kids(5 are schooling) and am placing everyone in their own Sonlight Core.

I am searching high and low for used and inexpensive.

Some of these I have some of the books and am piecing together..some of these I have zero of.

Marsha, see what I posted to Rainefox (re: Core 3 now called D) on this thread.

Oh, that would be me. I used to apologize for spending so much, but I like buying books and school supplies. I drive an old van, the kids wear mostly hand-me-downs (baby is wearing the cutest bubble dress today that my aunt picked up on one of her trash day runs), we rarely eat out or do vacationy type things. Most of the people in our area use BJU, MFW, MUS and other programs that I don't. If I want to see a program, I pretty well have to buy it. We have a small library. If I want access to good books, I pretty well have to buy them. I could educate the kids next year with what I already have, but I have things I still want to get (I buy all year as I come across things, so I have many things already.) I derive a lot of satisfaction from my purchases and bookshelves full of books. I wouldn't buy them if they created a financial hardship, but as far as vices go, curriculum shopping is fairly benign. I'll spend more than two thousand dollars on school things, but the majority of that will be on historical fiction, reference books, literature books, biographies, living math books, etc.

Tapestry of Grace is what is going to do me in this upcoming year :tongue_smilie:...The 2012/2013 school year looks as if it will cost us about $2250 for my boys...I am not sure if that is a lot or not compared to others here...That includes everything (even conventions) I believe...It will be the most we have spent so far though...I have an excel spreadsheet with the retail (or Amazon) price of everything I need...Hopefully I will not have to pay retail for everything and can get good deals, especially on books...I don't see myself doing it for less than $2000 though, no matter what...

This was our first year doing HS, I stopped keeping track (seriously, I don't really want to know what I spend) but I'm guesstimating that our total was about $600 for the year. Most of that went toward reusable stuff.

Next year we add DS#2 for K....my list thus far totals about $700, but again, much of it is nonconsumable. We'll see. I'm sure that list will keep growing....and we're not counting any "extracurricular" stuff in our budget. I total that separately.

As I keep telling DH, it's waaaay cheaper than private school.

Just made my list the other day and we're at just under $1000 for the three kiddos combined. It's the most we've spent for a school year so far, but I've decided that a couple of the big ticket items that make my life easier are worth it b/c of the time and stress they save me.

High school isn't cheap, no matter how you dice it, but I'm still well below private school of course. I'm spending a lot more than I spent five years ago, but it will actually be less in 2012-2013 because of being able to reuse more materials than I have before.

I'm in. :D

We have had a stereo microscope for several years now and loved it, but I am planning on 'upgrading' our microscope next year and want to buy one to get us through high school. That alone probably qualifies me for spending a fortune for next school year. :lol:

I have most of our curriculum already, but need to buy math and Latin yet.

I am also planning on biting the bullet and outsourcing French, which I expect to cost $$$ - not to mention the extra driving and gas. :001_huh:

I can't really break it down "per Kid" since we combine so much. For 2 kids in 6th/4th next year I'm looking at around $300-$400 in curriculum. I would also like to complete my set of World in Medieval Times, Pick up some more Photo Encyclpedias for Science & History ($20-$30 each.) And would love a decent Microscope.... so another $500.... I'd better start saving now.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

Is that manual for ALL subjects, with goldened edges of pages and personal dedications of all people who worked on it? :D

Seriously, what is 150€ worthy there? :confused:

That is ONE manual for ONE subject for ONE grade.

150euro is about 190$.

For a school, that is nothing. They will use it 5-10years, for 30 students a year. For me.....:glare:.

Also, whenever I want to buy a workbook, I HAVE to buy a set of 5 identical ones. And that is from the publishers who are willing to sell, some of them aren't willing to sell to homeschoolers at all. My husbands jokes that we need to get another child, to use that fifth workbook :lol:.

That is ONE manual for ONE subject for ONE grade.

150euro is about 190$.

For a school, that is nothing. They will use it 5-10years, for 30 students a year. For me.....:glare:.

Also, whenever I want to buy a workbook, I HAVE to buy a set of 5 identical ones. And that is from the publishers who are willing to sell, some of them aren't willing to sell to homeschoolers at all. My husbands jokes that we need to get another child, to use that fifth workbook :lol:.

But what is 150€ worthy there?! What can possibly justify that price?! :confused:

This is the most insane thing I read today and I cannot figure out what is possibly 150€ worthy in one teacher's manual. If they had golden edges maybe. Geeeez.

I've generally budgeted between $700-$1000 per year. That would include curriculum, resource materials, and some for my self-education. I didn't have half that this year, and I'm working on being frugal for next year.

I do say my thrift store shopping over the past few years is paying off though. I wish I could spend 1000.00 for next year, we just won't have it.

Last year I think I spent about 850.00, this year I've spent about 300.00 because that's all we've been able to scrape together.

I keep telling myself a) you are buying ahead, so "next year" (some next year??) will be cheaper,... I think I'm suffering from the delusion that this is all start-up costs, and eventually hsing will be less expensive . . . ...

This sounds familiar!!! But also, I tell myself, if nothing new were needed it would mean that my son had not advanced to a next stage and that is not good either. My hope, for example, is that he will "need" two levels of MUS next year--but I will not purchase till those points get close. And more LOF also. OTOH I plan to discontinue IXL which isn't getting enough use...he can use it all he wants till it ends, and only if it gets a lot more use than it is now and really, really seems to make a difference will I renew it...

Still, I do hope to be as reasonably careful as I can be. We are getting more out of the library when we can, for example. Also I hope that there will be less needed in the "special needs" super expensive category this next year...but I am also resigned to the fact that there may well be, and if so it is important, and that it is necessary to do what must needs be done. And it is, I think, far better to spend more on education up front, than to deal with remedial issues in the long run.

My budget is $1100 a year for curriculum including extra consumables for DS2. I think I qualify for this thread! That's as big chunk of our household budget, but we feel it's worth it for my time and to get what works best for DS (and if it doesn't work for YDS, we'll sell and figure out what does, but want to have correct student editions for manuals, etc.)

But what is 150€ worthy there?! What can possibly justify that price?! :confused:

This is the most insane thing I read today and I cannot figure out what is possibly 150€ worthy in one teacher's manual. If they had golden edges maybe. Geeeez.

It is forced buying. The schools have to have those manuals, frequently updated when the state exam standards change, and the educational publishers know exactly what the schools can spend and price accordingly....

You CAN'T say that then not tell us what it is!! Spill the beans!! :D

Well, it's not exactly a hugely popular program here on the WTM boards. :blush: But I've done as much research as I think I can do, I've talked extensively to several people who have used it, I went over to a friend's house to look at the materials in person, and I think it's going to be a great fit for us. It's Calvert. With their Advisory Teaching Service. Those lesson plan manuals with each and every day all laid out for you . . . swoon! I'm tired of figuring out what to do. I want someone to tell me "here, do this" and I'll just do it. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm really excited about it.

I plan on spending a lot. I'm homeschooling two of my kids.

DS11 - $600 He has dyslexia and I'm homeschooling him full time year round. When he takes breaks, he forgets what he's learned so no breaks longer than three days in a row for him. We also school lightly on Saturdays, typically less than an hour long. My big ticket items are TT6 (he just started it today) and TT7.

DD15 - $1,000+ She's going to be taking online community college classes. The dual enrollment classes are free at our local college, but since she's a high school student she gets last priority. Unfortunately, the online classes fill up fast. This Spring semester she only got into one class, it was the only one still open. In the fall, depending on how many classes she can get locally, I plan on having her take online community college classes at a college in NM. I will have to pay tuition, but they offer more online classes. Most of the money will be spent buying books.

DD14 - $300 - $400 She is in public high school but will also take a few online community college classes.

Not really spending a "fortune", but I don't try to homeschool as cheap as possible either. We can afford it (the kids were going to be in private school, which at $5k-ish a year, it was going to be around $10k next year for the 2 kids), and I think education is worth spending some money on. So as long as we're in a position of education vs. entertainment and not education vs. food, I'll spend on education and cut out entertainment, kwim?

I think I'm around $600ish at the moment, but I will probably add more. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up closer to $1000 by the end of my purchasing. I am doing MCT next year and using Singapore (HIG, TB, WB, IP, CWP), plus I try to build up my home library gradually.

In the last month, I've already spent $36 on future math (prealgebra/algebra) to get ME up to speed, and $50 on science for the rest of this year and into next year, and then another $50 on reading/spelling. Just wait until April when I go to the Memphis convention... :lol: (actually, last year I spent $12 there... but this year I'm planning to get MCT there, so I will be spending over $100).

I use Sonlight for our main curriculum, and then add math U see, and art, cooking, mapping electives, so most of my expense are right up front. I am, however, grateful that homeschooling materials have come a long way in the last decade and there are SO many choices and options. There is way too much too choose from, and if I had unlimited moola, I could fill my house with "educational" stuff.