Menu

What's so great about Amazon Prime?

I love that I can just go there and order one thing without worrying about making the 25.00 to avoid shipping. The 2 day thing is just a bonus to me. Also, they now have many used things through prime. Just the other day, I got a BJU 10th grade literature book, current edition, for 12 cents, and no shipping! If you don't order much from them, I doubt it would be worth it, but I am constantly getting stuff there, from books to household stuff to computer stuff to groceries. I can almost always get a better deal at Amazon. :)

I love that I can just go there and order one thing without worrying about making the 25.00 to avoid shipping. The 2 day thing is just a bonus to me. . . . If you don't order much from them, I doubt it would be worth it, but I am constantly getting stuff there, from books to household stuff to computer stuff to groceries. I can almost always get a better deal at Amazon. :)

That pretty much sums it up for me, too. The 2 day shipping has also come in handy when my parents were out of state and needed something right away (and then could upgrade to next day shipping for $3.99).

I also like the streaming video - the kids have loved the Dick Van Dyke show, the BBC's Robin Hood, and I've been able to find some other things, like Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead available.

I love that I can just go there and order one thing without worrying about making the 25.00 to avoid shipping. The 2 day thing is just a bonus to me. Also, they now have many used things through prime. Just the other day, I got a BJU 10th grade literature book, current edition, for 12 cents, and no shipping! If you don't order much from them, I doubt it would be worth it, but I am constantly getting stuff there, from books to household stuff to computer stuff to groceries. I can almost always get a better deal at Amazon. :)

Yep. The shipping in and of itself is amazing. The Prime deals for kindle books are nice too

Free shipping! Woohoo! And one day shipping for 3.99!

I have a U.S. p.o. box that gets picked up every Wednesday and brought down here by a mail service down here. If it's Tuesday and I am feeling impatient I can order what I need and I still get it, in Mexico, in a day. Or, if I'm in the States and I forgot I needed something, but I can't wait around long for it to be delivered, because I need to get back to Mexico, it's only 3.99. Amazon is blazing fast, for super cheap. I love, love, love Amazon Prime.

You know, it actually saves me nearly 50% of my homeschooling costs with all that free shipping. Crazy.

Sometimes I will be talking to my sister or a friend and they will say they haven't read a certain book. I can go on Amazon, buy the paperback for maybe $6 half the time, and ship it to their address for FREE. I love that.

I order Gluten free things from the grocery section, and I love just ordering what I need, knowing it will get there in 2 days.

I do a fair amount of my shopping on Amazon, and even though the 2 day deliver isn't a "Need" and I could wait and could combine orders to get free shipping, it's just so dang convenient to not have to worry about it.

I got it for the free 2 day shipping. I order a lot, and do a lot of last minute shopping. Need a dozen pipettes for co-op class Monday? Get them in plenty of time via Prime, and don't worry about when they'll get there and how much shipping will cost. Dd needs that Bellerophon coloring book for History Odyssey that you didn't catch in the list of things needed for the course? Shebang, it's at the house by Friday.

Then, of course, they added the free streaming videos. WHICH HAS THE ENTIRE STAR TREK FRANCHISE! AND DR. WHO! What more do you need in life? Really, throw in a few musicals and random goofy movies, and we're happy campers.

We've only borrowed one book on the Kindle. Dd wanted to read vol. 2 of the Hunger Games, and was hold number 86 at the library -- she already had vol.1 and 3 checked out for 2 weeks, but vol.2 didn't come in at the same time. Easy problem to solve -- she checked vol.2 out on the Kindle, read all 3 in a row, other dd also read all 3 in a row, then returned vols. 1 and 3 to the library.

So, got it for the shipping, but we're enjoying the other stuff they're tacking on.

:iagree: with all of the other posts. Being able to pop on when I want something and not have to meet $25 and getting it in 2 days is just really cool. My kids use the prime instant videos all the time. My dd is always watching Arthur and Liberty Kids. There is not really a lot of new movies on it, but we have found a ton of older movies for us or the kids to watch in the future. We also just a Blu-Ray DVD from Costco that automatically streams our Amazon right on the TV to watch. We do not have tv service, so this is pretty cool.

I don't use it for the streaming (we have netflix), but I love the two day shipping on almost anything and that it doesn't have to be $25 or more. I often send gifts this way, and I love it. But we got it half price because of my husband being a student at the time. I'm hooked though.

I had free Prime for a year when I signed up for Amazon mom to get diapers. I lost it in January. OH. I had to go back to slow shipping. Can you believe I finally took my Christmas money that I had saved back and used it to get my Amazon prime membership? Just for the fast shipping--we buy so many, many books for homeschool (and other products for home) and I love the free Prime shipping.

It's a guilty pleasure.

Free 2-day shipping on any amount (no $25 limit) and it arrives UPS (I dislike USPS). The only time I have to pay for shipping is when I buy something from a Marketplace vendor and even some of those sellers have Prime shipping. I can order something, usually just one thing, and have it delivered faster and cheaper than going to the store. I hate going out during the week days because it messes up our school day and by the evening, I'm not in the mood to go out at all. I would say I save enough on the things I buy during the year to warrant the annual price. I place at least one order per week.

2 day shipping is AWESOME!!

And if you use your amazon Visa, you get a nice percentage back every month. I usually get at least $50 back.

Or for the big stuff, you use the other amazon card and get 6 months

(or a year for specials) to pay with no interest.

I heart amazon.

Wanna hear a great Amazon delivery story? Amazon has been using a low-budget "delivery service" in our town which operates out of someone's car. No problem, and I applaud this little service (I think they're immigrants) for filling a need. Well, one night I heard a car come down the street and a car door slam. The next morning I discovered that my package had been delivered during the night! The delivery people were working round the clock to bring the packages -- my order arrived 12 hours earlier than it would have otherwise.

Streaming videos

Free 2-day shipping, no minimum

$3.99 overnight shipping

Complete, no hassle, postage paid and pickup, return policy (not sure if that's also true for non-prime purchases)

I love Prime. The only problem is getting spoiled by it.

I've had Prime since 2004 and I wouldn't be without it! We save SO much on shipping. I order a lot of food, household supplies, appliances, etc. and getting something overnighted for $4 is insane...free 2-day shipping (which often really only takes one day in my area) is amazing. I buy a lot of new and used books as well. And their prices on almost everything are less than I can find locally.

The addition of the free streaming video and other perks has been icing on the cake!

We love it for the free shipping and the free movies/streaming videos on our Roku. We are very particular about what our kids watch and don't have live tv/cable/satellite. We recently purchased a Roku. With Amazon Prime, we can actually watch movies that we've put off seeing due to lack of funds/time. Example-this past week DD2 (just turned 1) has been teething like crazy and has an ear infection. She decided sleeping was not happening, specifically during the hours of 11pm-4am. We laid on the couch together and watched lots of cheesy chick flicks and old movies while dozing. I think this past week alone I watched enough movies to justify the costs. And then there is the free Kipper that my kids have been begging to watch for over 2 years but we didn't have access to until now......:tongue_smilie:

Amazon Prime is really for shipping benefits. Everything else is nice, but if you wouldn't spend an average of $6-7 a month on shipping from Amazon, it probably isn't worth it.

We've had it for several years now. When we first got it, the only thing Prime gave you was free 2-day shipping. For us, it was worth it. It's only been within the past year that they added instant videos (and not all movies or shows qualify) and the Kindle Lending Library.

We love Prime, but it's not for everyone.

Can you stream to an Ipad? Also, is there a list of videos anywhere? I'm trying to decide whether to renew Discovery Streaming or not, and if DD's favorites are on Amazon Prime, that might be a better deal (I KNOW Liberty Kids is only on DS Plus, which is EXPENSIVE!!!).

Can you stream to an Ipad? Also, is there a list of videos anywhere? I'm trying to decide whether to renew Discovery Streaming or not, and if DD's favorites are on Amazon Prime, that might be a better deal (I KNOW Liberty Kids is only on DS Plus, which is EXPENSIVE!!!).

First generation iPad doesn't work with the streaming. This is very annoying.

No clue about the more recent iPads.

Also, if someone has a work-around for the 1st generation iPad, I'd love to know it. I could sit quietly in waiting rooms for hours and hours if I could be doing something productive like watching Dr. Who reruns.

ETA: When I go to my Amazon homepage and look under "Shop All Departments" (upper left) my first choice is "Unlimited Instant videos". Within that is a choice of "Prime Instant Videos". I just signed out of my account, and looked at the homepage, and it's still set up with those same choices.

Edited by GailV

One of the extra bonuses I've noticed with Prime is if you order something on Thursday it will arrive on Friday. Love that! Since UPS is their carrier for 2-day shipping and since UPS doesn't deliver on the weekends, the only other option is for them to deliver next day. Obviously I don't wait until Thursday to order things but the times that I do it feels next to miraculous to have it appear on my doorstep the following day.

I could never understand what the big deal was about Amazon Prime, and then I tried it. I LOVE Amazon Prime! I live in a very rural area, the nearest book store is a hour away over twisty mountain roads. Now that I have Prime, I can order a book and have it delivered to my front door in a day or two. I don't just order books though. I also order household items and even ordered a new rear light cover for my Tundra. :)

I did all my Christmas shopping with Amazon. With Prime two day shipping is FREE! I ordered over 40 items on a Friday and the majority of them showed up on Monday and the rest showed up the following day. 2011 was the easiest, stress free Christmas shopping experience ever, all thanks to Amazon Prime!

I plan on renewing my Prime membership, it's more than paid for itself.

I would save up books I was interested in until I had enough to qualify for free shipping. This meant sometimes I went and bought a book locally and paid more for it to have it quick. It also meant that some books I ordered I didn't read because I never got to them.

When I switched to prime, I found I could wait for a book to come through it and saved the price difference between a local and an amazon price. Plus since I can buy one book at a time, I can buy "the next book" only and then have less books that I end up never reading.

Finally, prime made me look beyond books for all sorts of things.

I love that I can just go there and order one thing without worrying about making the 25.00 to avoid shipping. The 2 day thing is just a bonus to me. Also, they now have many used things through prime.

:iagree: I share it with four other members of my family - just send them an invitation, they accept, and they have a prime account. I can stream prime video's on mine (ala netflix), but not the other accounts.

• 1 month later...
The two day shipping is nice but other than that I've been very disappointed. Their streaming video selection is very disappointing and hard to navigate. We won't be renewing!

I didn't INTEND on paying after our trial. When we signed up I did it for the shipping deals and needed to purchase some curriculum for next year. DH and I wanted to see if the prime was going to be worth it. When we signed up they stated that we would get an EMAIL NOTIFICATION before we were billed. Well, today I check my bank account statement online and see a $75 Amazon Prime charge! :mad: I was not a happy camper. They stated we'd get an email and they would not charge our account, we'd have to click CONFIRM payment.

NOW after being charged dh and I crunched the numbers for what we purchase school materials through them, the benefit of the FREE 2 day shipping on items that quality for it, and the streaming. After figuring we would spend $78 JUST in shipping on the books/school related materials like toner, lamination pouches, and such I'd need for the kids this time next year to purchase for the following years curriculum...that didn't even count the cost of the materials and the benefit of streaming..so we instead of contacting them for a refund we've decided to just keep it.

The way they went about our account is enough for me to complain, obviously. I don't like the navigation on their site either. It's like they need to be "IN THE WORLD OF TODAY"...because their site seems so "OLD" looking.

We are getting a Roku box here in the next weeks-month because we have netflix and now Amazon prime and no cable. This seems like a good way to use the Amazon Prime to the best while we have it for this year. I don't know if I'd be renewing it next year or not, we'll see how well it pays for itself in other ways too.

The two day shipping is nice but other than that I've been very disappointed. Their streaming video selection is very disappointing and hard to navigate.

:iagree:

I didn't INTEND on paying after our trial. When we signed up I did it for the shipping deals and needed to purchase some curriculum for next year. DH and I wanted to see if the prime was going to be worth it. When we signed up they stated that we would get an EMAIL NOTIFICATION before we were billed. Well, today I check my bank account statement online and see a $75 Amazon Prime charge! :mad: I was not a happy camper. They stated we'd get an email and they would not charge our account, we'd have to click CONFIRM payment.

Same thing happened to us. :confused: Dh said we should just keep it because we'd save money on shipping anyway.

I also posted this comment on a recent thread about Amazon Prime Instant Video:

We have linked our Roku to our Amazon Prime account, but everything we've found that looks interesting has a price listed beside it. I haven't found anything free yet. So we just watch Netflix instead. I only use Prime for the free 2-day shipping. And even that's not actually 2-day shipping, or at least, it hasn't been so far. I've ordered two items, and neither one arrived within 2 days, so I'm thinking that Prime isn't all it's cracked up to be. :(