Menu

How many novels does your 6th grader read

for school work in public, private, or homeschool?

I was talking to my mom today, who teaches 6th grade English in ps. She said her students were about to start their novel for the year. I asked her if she meant that they only read one novel. She said yes. It's a new curriculum that is being implemented this year (which she hates because they are to teach it verbatim among other things), and while the students are in 100 minutes of reading and English class each day, they only read one novel. And it's Holes. Not a bad novel, but not what I'd choose for the solitary selection of the year. I was just surprised.

I graduated from the same school district she is in, and I know that I had more than 1 required novel in 6th grade (of course, I read quite a bit outside of class). That was a LONG time ago though :001_smile:

Two of my kids were in ps for 6th grade (in a different district, but same state), and they also read more, but it was only 3-4 novels and then another of their choice for a book report. I didn't worry too much because they are voracious readers on their own. Just wondering what others had experienced....

My older two are readers. They probably read 20-30 novels in 6th grade. My next one coming up is not so much of a reader, but I still would expect the count to be 5 for school and maybe 5-10 more for fun for 6th grade next year. This year, he has read two novels, read along in the book with 3-4 more on tape (he has dyslexia, so this is an adaptation that we find helps), and is working on The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (I found a large print unabridged version). He'll also read White Fang in large print this semester.

Edited by higginszoo

Older dd just started ps this year for 6th grade and they're encouraged to read a book a week. They have a notebook that they are supposed to write in whenever they finish a book and the teacher responds. It's not for a grade though. All graded assignments have been on excerpts. Dd has averaged one book every two weeks. I would say she alternates between fluff and serious books so the fluff takes a week and she spends more time on the serious. She did say the kids talk a lot about the different books they're reading so that's encouraging.

Here's my son's assigned reading list from when he was in 6th grade (home school). He read other books on his own time. (A couple of these aren't novels, but I'm leaving them in anyway...)

The Door in the Wall, Marguerite de Angeli

Tom Sawyer, Mark Twain

The Trumpeter of Krakow, Eric P. Kelly

Beowulf: a new telling, Robert Nye

The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow, Allen French

King Arthur and His Knights, Malory/ Elizabeth L. Merchant

The Sword in the Stone, T.H. White

The Adventures of Robin Hood, Roger Lancelyn Green

If All the Swords of England, Barbara Willard

Adam of the Road, Elizabeth Gray

Crispin: Cross of Lead, Avi

Catherine Called Birdy, Karen Cushman

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll

Master Cornhill, Eloise Jarvis McGraw

The Canterbury Tales, Chaucer / McCaughrean

One Thousand and One Nights, Geraldine McCaughrean

The Story of My Life, Helen Keller

The White Stag, Kate Seredy

Tales From Japan, Helen and William McAlpine

The Samurai's Tale, Erik Haugaard

A Single Shard, Linda Sue Park

All Creatures Great and Small, James Herriot

Secret of the Andes, Ann Nolan Clark

Around the World in 100 Years, Jean Fritz

The Playmaker J. B. Cheaney

King of Shadows, Susan Cooper

The Second Mrs. Giaconda, E. L. Konigsburg

I think my PS 6th grade class (1993) only read one specifically assigned novel--Maniac McGee. We did, however, read short stories, poems, excerpts from books, etc. in our literature book. We had one book report per quarter and wrote an 8-page paper on an animal.

for school work in public, private, or homeschool?

I was talking to my mom today, who teaches 6th grade English in ps. She said her students were about to start their novel for the year. I asked her if she meant that they only read one novel. She said yes. It's a new curriculum that is being implemented this year (which she hates because they are to teach it verbatim among other things), and while the students are in 100 minutes of reading and English class each day, they only read one novel. And it's Holes. Not a bad novel, but not what I'd choose for the solitary selection of the year. I was just surprised.

I graduated from the same school district she is in, and I know that I had more than 1 required novel in 6th grade (of course, I read quite a bit outside of class). That was a LONG time ago though :001_smile:

Two of my kids were in ps for 6th grade (in a different district, but same state), and they also read more, but it was only 3-4 novels and then another of their choice for a book report. I didn't worry too much because they are voracious readers on their own. Just wondering what others had experienced....

:svengo: My 4th grader reads 30? 40? chapter books per year for homeschool in history (which include various books about science, fine arts, etc.) and literature. Many of those are novels or historical fiction. He reads a hundred (or more) on his own.

DD is in 5th at a ps, and she is on her 4th novel- just for school. She also has reading I require. Total since the beginning of the school year is closer to ten. She reads 20 minutes for school and 20 minutes for afterschooling. The school book she reads as soon as she gets home and my reading she does out loud to her brother before bed.

I can't believe her school only requires one a year.

Whoa! That blows me away! I couldn't even imagine. My DD (6th grade) reads about 40 -50 a year. Outlining at least 5 of them (non-fiction), 3-4 page book reports on 20ish of them and a written summary of all of them. Then again, I read at least a hundred a year so reading is emphasized.

Heavens. Here I am bemoaning what a non-reader my youngest is (and she's 5th grade) - but she'll read 8 novels for her book club this year, plus she just read all the Percy Jackson books (those weren't assigned), plus I'll assign her some historical fiction, and she'll end up reading other books as well.

I thought that was really anemic, after my book-devouring older two! But one novel in a year??!! :svengo:

Edited by matroyshka

Oldest ds read more novels than I can count. He reads all the time.

Dd read 3 assigned books, plus maybe 3 novels that were well below her level. I was happy she chose to read on her own at all. She reads more now (8th grade).

I will rejoice if youngest ds is reading independently at that age.

When he was in 6th grade, oldest son read 46 books including The Diary of Anne Frank and A Farewell to Arms.

When 2nd son was in 6th grade he read 66 books, including the whole of the Chronicles of Narnia.

And those were just the ones I remembered to enter into the list in those years.

Anna usually has two books going: a history/literature book for school (we use Sonlight) and a book of her choosing. She reads all summer too. I'm thinking she will probably have read 50-60 books by the time this year is done.

I'm shocked that some schools require only one book per year. That's ridiculous.

My 6th grader has probably read 5 novels this month. Since we started school in July? Around 30, assigned and free reading.

Now, I just edited a paper for my sister, a college freshman at Tulane. When she told me her English class was reading only one novel for the semester (Pride and Prejudice, great choice) I kinda died. Today when I was helping to edit her paper, I realized it was more of a writing class. Perhaps the class your mom described is more writing-focused? Maybe they are shooting for depth? Can we pretend this is a good thing?

My 6th grader is a "seasonal" or "occasional" reader. She'll get hooked on an author or series and read everything she/we can find (like Lloyd Alexander's Book of Three series, or Betsy Byars Herculaeh Jones Mysteries) but when she's finished she might not read for weeks. Despite that she has still finished at least 18 novels so far this school year. Public school reading requirements seem a little strange. They seem like they want to require kids to read but can't. When ours was in public school as a 3rd and 4th grader she "had" to read for AR points, so many points per month, it meant she had to select certain books at library check out time, they had to be at her "level", then after reading she'd complete a short quiz, etc. In 4th, the year we withdrew her, she was supposed to read enough books to earn 100 points by May. She finished by February, which was awesome, first one done in her class, she earned some neat prizes, but interestingly enough, none of it was counted in her Reading grade!?

Edited by rocketgirl

She said her students were about to start their novel for the year. I asked her if she meant that they only read one novel. She said yes. It's a new curriculum that is being implemented this year (which she hates because they are to teach it verbatim among other things), and while the students are in 100 minutes of reading and English class each day, they only read one novel.

So, I'm curious. If they haven't read a single novel for basically a whole semester at 100 minutes a day, what are they doing?

I don't count assigned books. They're assigned to read a chapter a day, 4-5 days a week for 36 weeks during school time. I'm usually reading two books aloud to them at any given time. The books they read on their own? Wow I'd hate to have to count and keep track of those. :) A love of reading is by far most important to me.

So, I'm curious. If they haven't read a single novel for basically a whole semester at 100 minutes a day, what are they doing?

That's what I asked! My mom (who is the English teacher NOT the reading teacher, but it is HER class that is actually reading the novel) said that in reading, they are simply teaching them comprehension from reading short passages and some story elements in short stories. I'm guessing they focus on what is on the statewide test. Her portion, the English portion, has been working mostly on writing. Both the reading and English are part of this new curriculum that prescribes exactly, almost word for word, what they are to teach. And administration from the district and from the company that produces the curriculum are heavily auditing the classrooms to make sure that the teachers are sticking with the plan as laid out. My mom hates it! She doesn't think the kids are getting what they need.

I don't think it's unusual for ps english classes at ANY grade to require only 2-4 novels during a year. Even when I was in high school, I don't remember being required to read more than that. It is surprising, and often I don't like the books they choose. But, I guess they have a lot of things to concentrate on during that 50-minute period, and many kids are not fast readers, and requiring too many books would lose too many kids...

My own kids read about a novel each week at that grade, some required for homeschool, and many not. However, as they got older and more involved in other activities, that number diminished, although they still loved/love to read.

I don't think it's unusual for ps english classes at ANY grade to require only 2-4 novels during a year. Even when I was in high school, I don't remember being required to read more than that. It is surprising, and often I don't like the books they choose. But, I guess they have a lot of things to concentrate on during that 50-minute period, and many kids are not fast readers, and requiring too many books would lose too many kids...

My own kids read about a novel each week at that grade, some required for homeschool, and many not. However, as they got older and more involved in other activities, that number diminished, although they still loved/love to read.

:iagree: My ds uses Calvert and has 6 'novels' assigned this year (in addition to anthologies, some non-fiction, and poetry), but he also reads at least a book a week. Last week, he read 4.

Margaret

Our middle school and high school curriculum when I taught had two novels during the year.

The rest of the class was anthology textbooks with snippets of various literature and/or short stories.

I figure that even though I have a child with some learning disabilities in reading, he still gets far more reading in than the average PS kids do. (or at least the PS assigned reading.)

Dawn

My child is a reader- it's her favorite pastime. Since we started keeping track of her books in 2nd grade, she's read over 300 books each year, from fiction to non fiction to historical fiction, biographies, and more. ONE book a year is totally unacceptable.

I expect one per WEEK, with discussion and a writing assignment attached.

My son is a homeschooled 6th grader. Here's his literature list for this year. This is a minimum, we may certainly add to it. It doesn't include any extra historical books that I dig up along the way. Also, this doesn't count what he reads on his own. I honestly have no clue, but he enjoys reading a great deal, so his own list will be fairly long.

1. Beowulf (Robert Nye)

2/3. Sir Gawain - actually, 2 different renditions

4. The Canterbury Tales (Geraldine McCaughrean)

5. The Inferno of Dante (Robert Pinsky)

6. *Some kind of compilation of Nordic mythology - still determining...

7. The Fairie Queene

*The following 3 Book Trilogy by Rosemary Sutcliff:

8. Sword & the Circle:King Arthur & the Knights of the Round Table

9. The Light Beyond the Forest: The Quest for the Holy Grail

10. Road to Camlann: The Death of King Arthur

11. Shakespeare - Still deciding, but we will do 3

12. Shakespeare

13. Shakespeare