Menu

The most exciting news

Woo-hoo!!!! I was thinking about you guys last week and stopped myself from PM'ing you to ask :D I am so happy for you! (Oh yes, for your son, too - but this is a very happy mummy-moment :hurray:) If you have the time, would you mind telling us the pathway he took? I have a soon-to-16 year old who is just about to start TAFE in order to do Civil.

Woo-hoo!!!! I was thinking about you guys last week and stopped myself from PM'ing you to ask :D I am so happy for you! (Oh yes, for your son, too - but this is a very happy mummy-moment :hurray:) If you have the time, would you mind telling us the pathway he took? I have a soon-to-16 year old who is just about to start TAFE in order to do Civil.

When he was 15 I contacted all the universities that do Engineering in Melbourne and asked them what pathways they recommend. Some universities preferred STAT tests, and others prefer Open university courses, all of them said homeschool applications were problematic.

Monash University head of engineering emailed me a list of subjects from open uni that a homeschooler successfully completed and got accepted into civil engineering.

My son completed these units at open university all undergraduate

Mat15 ~ calculus and linear algebra ~he got a distinction

Sci 16 ~ physics ~more of a year 12 level ~ High distinction

Sci 18~ chemistry~ high distinction

Phi120~critical thinking~English rich~ distinction

The actual marks were important as there are few places in engineering and the entry score is pretty high. He has been told he will be credited 2 of these units off his degree.

He applied through VTAC as a non year 12 entry pathway student. We also went to information days at 3 universities and spoke to the placement officers at 2 universities. This was of great help, the placement officer at Monash University was extremely helpful and corresponded with DS17 several times about his application.

I hope your son is successful with his journey

Melissa

I have the most exciting news,

We just got the results for my Ds17's uni application...

HE GOT IN

He got into Aerospace Engineering. We are so excited.

My children have asked me if I am related to a kangaroo as I cannot stop jumping around the room.

Wow!!! That is FANTASTIC!!! Thank you so much for sharing your excitement here and allowing us the opportunity to rejoice with you! That is WONDERFUL news! Well done ds and well done mom!!! :hurray: :party: :thumbup: :cheers2:

HE GOT IN

My children have asked me if I am related to a kangaroo as I cannot stop jumping around the room.

Congratulations!!!! Well done to both of you.

HE GOT IN

Wonderful news! Great encouragement for us other homeschooling families!!!