Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - Week 2

Finished:

1. The Light Horseman's Daughter by David Crookes

Still Reading:

1. Waste by Tristram Stuart

2. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

3. Paradise Valley by Dale Cramer

Did you like Paradise Valley? This is on my list to read. I have read Dale Cramer's other four books and enjoyed them very much. I think there is a sequel to Paradise Valley, so I have been waiting to read it until closer to the release of the sequel! :D

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my list for Week 2:

The Judgment, Beverly Lewis

The Moonstone, Wilkie Collins (board suggested)

Invisible, Ivy Malone Mystery, Lorena McCourtney

Hoping to finish all three. School starts tomorrow!

Week 1:

1. The Next Always, The Inn at Boonsboro Trilogy, Nora Roberts

2. Chi Walking: The Five Mindful Steps for Lifelong Health and Energy, Danny Dreyer

I actually finished my second book last week, but was too slow to post it in that thread. I read Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran. It is a fascinating look at life in Rome in the time of Caesar Augustus. This lined up nicely with where my DD is at in SOTW 1, so it was very interesting to me.

This week, I'm jumping ahead 1200 years and starting Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follat, since I borrowed it and the sequel from my mom.

1. An Audience of Chairs by Joan Clark

2. Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran

I read Boom! by Mark Haddon last night. It was a fun, very quick, YA-level read; enjoyable, but not as good has The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.

This week I think I'll finish The Republic and Grand Duchess Elizabeth of Russia. I definitely won't finish Don Quixote, but I'm so glad I finally made myself read it. :) I expected to slog though the 1,000 or so pages, but I love the story and am thorougly enjoying it. I'm looking forward to reading it with my teens next year was part of their Great Books studies.

I've also read the first few pages of The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, which I might finish this week as well. I'm not sure what to think of it yet.

I was thinking about reading Ahab's Wife (and Moby Dick if I was feeling brave/insane ;)), but when I was at the library yesterday all the copies were out, so I don't think I can get it in time.

This morning I finished reading The Garden of Eden by Ernest Hemingway. I am not a Hemingway fan, but after reading The Paris Wife I became interested, then I saw Midnight in Paris (Cute movie.) and the movie fuel my interest even if Allen showed Hemingway to be a pompous jerk.

This unfinished novel is set in the south of France during the Jazz Age. The story, a taboo topic for its time, is about a young American writer, David Bourne, his wife, and the erotic game they play and ensuing destruction. Knowing a little bit about Hemingway's life, this story seems to be pulled from his experiences and is peppered with his thoughts on being a writer. The sections of the story written by David Bourne cum Hemingway are some great writing. I did not expect to like this book but I did.

Edited by Wildiris
n/a

I read four last week.

The Wedding Gift- only okay

Darkly Dreaming Dexter- great, lots of fun if you like serial killer thrillers

Water For Elephants- Loved the last couple of pages the best

My Wife's Story- very short story, mildly amusing

Working on Lonesome Dove

Well, this year the whole family is joining in, which makes me happy. They don't want to do reviews, but are willing to rate their books out of 4 stars.

Reading/read this week, in order of age:

Middle Girl

4. Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince (4 stars)

3. John Fitzgerald, More Adventures of the Great Brain (4 stars)

2. Lloyd Alexander, The Black Cauldron (4 stars)

1. Tom McGowen, Album of Sharks (3 stars)

... and currently reading -

Tove Jansson, Moominsummer Madness

Great Girl

2. Iris Murdoch, The Time of the Angels (3 stars)

1. William Strunk & E. B. White, The Elements of Style (4 stars)

... and currently reading (simultaneously) -

T. S. Eliot, Selected Poems

B. C. Southam, A Student's Guide to the Selected Poems of T. S. Eliot

Mr. InAustin

2. Stephen Dixon, What Is All This? (3 stars)

1. Noise: Fiction Inspired By Sonic Youth, Peter Wild, ed. (2 stars)

... and currently reading -

P. G. Wodehouse, Mr. Mulliner Speaking

Sharon InAustin

Currently reading...

Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace, Rosemary Edmonds, tr.

I cannot put this book down. Poor Natasha! Go back to her, Prince Andrei!

This week I am reading When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson. I hope it's good, we shall see.

Last week I finished 77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz and loved it! It went back to his horror roots a bit, but still had a Koontz feel to it. There was also the overarching moral in it that he has been including in different ways in his novels the last few years. I think this one will actually get added to the "read aloud with dh" pile. The last few have been excellent, but just too disturbing to read aloud.

I will also be working through Beastchild by Koontz over the next couple of weeks. It is one of his oldest novels. This year, I am hoping to reread as many of his as I can. I want to see the progression of his craft.

1. 77 Shadow Street Dean Koontz

For those of you who have kids participating, do you let them count schoolbooks?
I'll probably include anything that Middle Girl reads as an assigned book, in part because I think it's good to see what kids think of non-voluntary books. If she gives an assigned book one star, I may think twice about assigning it to Wee Girl in later years. But Great Girl doesn't have any assigned reading this year (in English at least), so all of her books are/will be voluntary.

I had to return A Game of Thrones (Kindle book from the library) before I was able to finish it last week, so I put myself back on the wait list for it.

I checked out Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher and finished it last week. I also checked out The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin and began reading it.

1. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (Kindle-libary)

Currently reading: The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin (Kindle-library)

1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I listened to this on audio. It was a re-read for me, but it hit me the second time that this book isn't about the trial as much as I had thought it was. It seems more about the loss of innocence and the trial was one piece of that. It was even better the second time. I enjoyed the audio version quite a bit.

2. I have started listening to Miracle at Speedy Motors by Alexander McCall Smith (No. 9 in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency) I've read the 1st book in the series. I enjoyed it and am liking this one just as well. The books are set in Botswana which sounds like a very unromantic location, but I thoroughly enjoy references to setting and culture. Fascinating!! The audiobook narrator has beautiful pronunciation. The names certainly didn't sound that way in my head when I read the first one. Beautiful names. Also, one of the things I appreciate about these books is that they are clean!! I don't think I'm too much of a fuddy duddy and I put up with some stuff in my books and movies, but I seriously appreciate it when I don't have to.

...Phantom of the Opera is on the back burner and our Little Women read - aloud will probably finish up this week. I have Ahab's Wife but have become so addicted to audio books I'm not sure if I can drag myself away from them. I should see if I can get it in audio at the library. duh! :D

Edited by silliness7

Last week I read (for the first time ever) Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. :001_huh: Interesting, to say the least.

The only negative thing about my Kindle is I am reading absolutely too many books at once! I don't know if I'll ever get another finished! I currently have bookmarks in Pride and Prejudice, Ahab's Wife, Let the Great World Spin, as well as A Charlotte Mason Companion! Juggling multiple books has never been my forte. :)

Oh, and I am slogging my way through the Wheel of Time series. I'm on book 4 right now.

I am a huge fan of Robert Jordan and am anxiously awaiting the final book in the series. It gets a bit slow around book 9 or 10 but then picks right back up again.

I've also read the first few pages of The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, which I might finish this week as well. I'm not sure what to think of it yet.

I read this last week. Curious to see what you think.

I am currently reading Sh*t My Dad Says (hey, it's light and it's from my e-library LOL) and up next is either Pride and Prejudice, Living Oprah, Liberation of Alice Love or The Feast Nearby. DH is traveling for a couple of days this week so I might get through all of them (okay, not Pride and Prejudice, I don't think ;))

Edited by Halcyon

I am currently reading Sh*t My Dad Says (hey, it's light and it's from my e-library LOL) and up next is either Pride and Prejudice, Living Oprah, Liberation of Alice Love or The Feast Nearby. DH is traveling for a couple of days this week so I might get through all of them (okay, not Pride and Prejudice, I don't think ;))

I think I need to read that first one... :lol:

My first book was Loving the Little Years. This week I am tackling the Power of Positive Parenting.

My Week 1 read was The Book of the Ancient Greeks by Dorothy Mills. I was extremely surprised that I could not put this book down!

I am working my way through SWB's The History of Ancient World, with supplementary reads along the way, so I will bookmark this one. Thanks!

DD had a fever etc this week, which gave me plenty of time to read.

Am I a bad Mom because days when ds is sick and we spend the whole day cuddling on the couch - him sleeping, me reading - are amongst my favourites? In fact, it was a day exactly like that which got me started on last week's 52 books challenge. It was the day I went, "HEY! I still enjoy reading!"

This week I have started reading Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. A collection of Pulitzer Prize winning short stories focusing on the experience of being an Indian immigrant in the United States. Full of emotion,culture, tradition and human experience.

Looks good, and brings me to my book for this week:

#1 The Groom to Have Been by Saher Alam

I need to read this one again, as I really haven't sorted out what it made me think or feel. This, perhaps, is the author's success: that she takes a very complicated and controversial subject, but is so even-handed in her presentation of it that you come out less sure of your opinions that when you started.

The Groom to Have Been is about a "Westernised" Muslim Indian man living in New York at the time of the 9/11 attacks who decided to enter into an arranged marriage. There are overlapping themes about traditional versus modern values, about interpretation and shaping of religious values, about finding your way as an "outsider" within the community you live in, and the role of woman in a conservative culture.

I did find the "train of thought" structure a little distracting, sometimes. We'd start out in a cafe, wander backwards 15 years, then forward to the previous day, then backwards to last week, then, 50 pages later, find ourselves drinking coffee and I'd think "Huh?" and have to page back to pick up the thread. But that might just be because I've had a week of head-aches, and have generally been struggling to concentrate!

This week I'm taking it easy, and will try to read the two crime novels by Andrea Camilleri from his Inspector Montalbano series which I took out of the library as holiday reading. They're great fun, and I'm already halfway through the first of these.

I completed two books for week 1.

#1- Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott OĂ¢â‚¬â„¢Dell- This was an audiobook which I chose simply because IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve never read the story.

#2- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen- This was the first Austen novel that IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve ever read. I enjoyed the interesting vocabulary and setting. England in the late 1700′s intrigues me. Reading this book seemed slow. I liked the story but it didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t keep my attention very well. I still want to read some of her other novels but will read some other books before I tackle the next one. I love watching Sense and Sensibility, the movie. Beautiful scenery, costumes, and music.

My goal for this year is to read books I already own. I have MANY choices.:glare: I enjoy non-fiction & have an abundance of never read titles.

I had more time to read this past week because my husband was off Monday & Tuesday AND I didn't knit at all! I'll have to get back to some of my knitting projects this week which will mean less reading time.

Week 1

Love in the House: Filling Your Home with the Greatest Commandment by Chris & Wendy Jeub

A Mom Just Like You by Vickie Farris

Breastfeeding & Catholic Motherhood by Sheila Kippley

Love in a Time of Homeschooling by Laura Brodie

The Joy of Less: A Minimalist Living Guide by Francine Jay

Seven: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker

Organize For a Fresh Start by Susan Fey West (Free Kindle book)

Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider (Kindle Library loan)

I have a reading journal to jot down things I want to remember. So while I enjoyed six of the eight books, I am releasing them all. Six books now leaving my house & two deleted from my Kindle!:D

On the agenda for Week 2: Living Artfully: Create the Life You Imagine by Sandra Magsamen & olly Wizenberg

A Homemade Life : Stories & Recipes From My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg

I have finished #1 Flesh and Blood so Cheap by Albert Marrin (thanks to a reference on this thread!), #2 Why Mermaids Sing by CS Harris, and #3 Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide by Peter Allison.

In my opinion:

#1 was excellent! I am so glad someone posted about this book. The pictures alone were worth the read.

#2 was okay. I prefer my period mysteries with a little less cannibalism and alleged incest.

#3 was not particularly good. I learned a little about safaris, but the stories just seemed to lack a little spark.

I am now reading Napoleon's Buttons: How 17 Molecules Changed History by Penny Le Couteur and Jay Burreson. I started Ahab's Wife in hopes I would join you all, but after two chapters I realized it is just not my cup of tea. Back to the library it goes!

I also wanted to mention that thanks in large part to the books others on this thread are reading, my "to read" list for the library is now up to 89 books!

and the linking part, and other technicalities.

I finished my first book today - The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho. I will write a full review and learn to link it, but let me hearby declare my participation in this excellent adventure, and let me also say that when the cover of a book says that 65 million people love it and so does Madonna, the odds that I will like it are pretty slim. I should have known better.

So it occurred to me that if I immerse myself in French landscapes and personalities, perhaps I'll return to my studies of the language itself.

The only one I can think of right now (that I read last year): 13, rue ThĂƒÂ©rĂƒÂ¨se.

decided to read Feed this month. Does it hold up on re-reading? Both Mr. M-mv and I agree that it does.

Thanks, M-mv! Have you read his book about Octavian Nothing? (I really enjoyed that one; need to read the sequel to it....)

I saw Midnight in Paris (Cute movie.)

:iagree: I keep hearing Oscar buzz about this movie & would highly suggest going to see it if it ends up being out (again) in theaters near you. It's a movie to appeal to a literate person's heart. :001_smile:

Almost finished State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

How do you like it? Have you read other books by her? If so, which books & how would you compare State of Wonder to them (in relation to liking it more or less...)?

Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace, Rosemary Edmonds, tr.

I cannot put this book down. Poor Natasha! Go back to her, Prince Andrei!

You may get me to read this yet...! :D

I have started Kafka on the Shore for week 2. So far, so good.

Loved that book (except for one scene in it). Murakami is a master, imo.

Week 1. World War Z by Max Brooks

Did you like it? I enjoyed it so much more than I ever thought I would....

My goal for this year is to read books I already own. I have MANY choices.:glare:

Me too, lol. (Of course, I have a bunch of library books sitting here too.)

The Joy of Less: A Minimalist Living Guide by Francine Jay

Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider (Kindle Library loan)

What did you think of both of these? (I wish my library had them!)

#3 Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide by Peter Allison.

In my opinion:

#1 was excellent! I am so glad someone posted about this book. The pictures alone were worth the read.

#2 was okay. I prefer my period mysteries with a little less cannibalism and alleged incest.

#3 was not particularly good. I learned a little about safaris, but the stories just seemed to lack a little spark.

I agree w/ your review of the Safari Guide book.

The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho. I will write a full review and learn to link it, but let me hearby declare my participation in this excellent adventure, and let me also say that when the cover of a book says that 65 million people love it and so does Madonna, the odds that I will like it are pretty slim. I should have known better.

So, did you like it or not like it?

I, personally, didn't care for it at all when I read it. I think it's terribly over-rated. :tongue_smilie:

In the past week, I finished two books.

Lessons from the Mountain by the Erin Walton character in The Waltons - the more I read, the more I enjoyed this book. The Nellie Oleson book was a far more engaging read, but this was very good also.

Garden Spells - liked this a lot. Look forward to reading more by her.

I've just started Let the Great World Spin. So far, so good.

9780758263674.jpg9780553384833.jpg9781408801185.jpg

"the Rose Labyrinth by Titania Hardie.

Robin, added this to my wish list :). I loved Da Vinci Code.

and then moving on to The Paris Wife

Heather, I read this while we were in Paris. Not my all-time favorite book by any means, but it was particularly nice to be in Paris while reading it. :)

I had visitors for most of the week, so spent most of my time in the kitchen, but I did read 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'!! It was just what I needed - a little light hearted humour that took little brain power!

Now I've picked up Northanger Abbey, and am enjoying it so far.

I have Ahab's Wife ordered for next week & hoping it comes in time!

I still have not finished The Hooked X. I find it fascinating, but after I read something particularly striking, I want to research it myself and I put the book down to poke around the internet. Then when I get a chance to read, I don't have the book with me because I left it by the computer. I end up reading on my Kindle instead. (It irks me to find, while getting the link for this post, that it is now available on Kindle. It was not when I bought it. It would be silly to buy it again, right?)

So, I've also started Galileo's Daughter. It's pretty interesting. I find myself identifying with Suor Arcangela more than Suor Maria Celeste or Galileo himself, even though Suor Arcangela plays no part in the book and as far as anyone knows, never wrote him any letters at all. I wouldn't be writing letters to a father who forced me into a convent either! I definitely wouldn't be calling him Lord Sire and fawning over him, begging to make him candy and bleach his collars, like Suor Maria Celeste.

That's not really the point though. Besides being a story of Galileo's life, the inside look at the times is pretty cool. Like trying to get his son Vincenzio an appointment as a canon ... a pension from the Church, for life, in exchange for little to no actual work? Who knew! And then trying to give it to his nephew instead, who was also Vincenzio Galilei. :lol: Eh, it's not like it matters anyway, the poor country folk will never know the difference!

Edited by SunD

I have finished #1 Flesh and Blood so Cheap by Albert Marrin (thanks to a reference on this thread!)..

In my opinion:

Waving hand! I was the one who mentioned the book previously and agree with you completely that the pictures alone are worth the read!

The only one I can think of right now (that I read last year): 13, rue ThĂƒÂ©rĂƒÂ¨se.

Well pfui...my library system does not have the book but I have made note of it. Thanks!

Last week I read (for the first time ever) Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. :001_huh: Interesting, to say the least.

I have a problem with Lewis Caroll, and find it hard to read his works or to my dc. I'd personally love to ban him forever. However, that would be a huge disadvantage to my kids to not know anything about a classic that is so deeply ingrained in western culture.

I am currently reading Sh*t My Dad Says (hey, it's light and it's from my e-library LOL)

Read that a couple years ago. Made my DH read it.

I also wanted to mention that thanks in large part to the books others on this thread are reading, my "to read" list for the library is now up to 89 books!

I refuse to acknowledge how many books are on my to read lists. :tongue_smilie:

I finally finished The Orthodox Church. This one took me several weeks as it was a bit dry, and I needed to reread sections to comprehend.

I have read so much this week it's kind of ridiculous. I've sure enjoyed it. :D

Half of a Yellow Sun, a novel about the Biafran independence movement.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, I'm late to the party.

King Solomon's Mines, one of the original adventure novels.

The Oresteia,

and The Consolation of Philosophy. Crazy huh?

Aeschylus and Boethius in one week! I'm in awe!

I have decided to actually take part in the challenge this week rather than just stalk the thread!

Last week I finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I enjoyed the last of the trilogy but I didn't think it was a good as the first two.

This week I am reading Fire which is the second in a young adult series. I'm not loving it but will finish it!

I am currently on Book Two of Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series.

There is a fine line between paranormal and porn I am discovering, these kind of cross the line to an uncomfortable degree for me but the plot is decent and I am intrigued to see where she goes with it.

I found her on Ilona Andrew's website, I guess they are friends and I devoured everything Ilona has written recently and loved them so I thought I'd give them a try.

Still doing only light reading, my escape from all the stress in our lives right now.

I blogged about rereading LOTR last week, perhaps you'd enjoy it.

http://www.aworkinprogress.net/2012/01/i-wonder-what-sort-of-tale-weve-fallen.html

I'm still plugging a way on several different books. I think Eldest will probably end up being my book 2.

DD10 who is doing this with me didn't think that she would be done with The Son of Neptune, but she finished it last night and started A King's Ransom book 2 in the 39 Clues: Vespers vs Cahills. It is much shorter and I don't think ahe will have any problems finishing it this week, even with starting school back up.

Me

1 - Storm Front - Jim Butcher

DD10

1 - The Sun of Neptune - Rick Riordan

For those of you who have kids participating, do you let them count schoolbooks? Dd read The Lost Baron by Allen French last week. I read four books last week but am not counting two of them (complete braincandy). This week I want to try something weightier. It wouldn't take much.;)

We are only just starting back to school today (when the kiddos wake up) but my plan is to count any book that dd10 finishes. Whether I assign it for school or not. She has gotten really bad about not finishing books lately and I hope the goal helps. She doesn't know it yet (decided after bedtime last night) but she will be reading Aesop's Fables on her Kindle this week for literature. When she wouldn't give any input, her Daddy and I decided.

Finished:

1. The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt~Fiction, following several arty, progressive families from the late Victorian period through WWI. I really enjoyed this epic character-driven book, but someone who doesn't love chapters beginning with several pages of the historical happenings and name-dropping from the turn of the century might not (not to mention psychological fairy tales, ceramics description, or maudlin WWI poetry). Obvious in some ways, but that didn't make the coming of age any less sweet.

2. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton~Fiction, a small girl is abandoned on a ship to Australia with a white suitcase and a fairy book. The story moves between Edwardian gothic and modern mystery. Morton managed to take what I expect and twist it a bit, but the biggest mystery is obvious from early on. Really fun. I was swept through the mystery until the end.

Working on:

The Alienist by Caleb Carr (turn of the century serial killer)

and thus How the Other Half Lives by Jacob Riis (mentioned in book)

and The Adventures of Theodore Roosevelt by TR (character in the book)

The Alphabet in the Park by Brazilian poet Adelia Prado (very sensual with strong Christian themes)

Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (science fiction adventure)

Hey DangerMom,

for the purposes of the challenge, are you counting the Oresteia as one entry or three? Not wanting to artificially inflate my totals, but still ..... ;)

That is up to you. I'm counting it as one for myself, but then it was my idea to do it! (You will find however that they are really quite short--not as long as modern plays at all.)