Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - Week 2

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm halfway through Ahab's Wife. Those of you starting it next week are going to LOVE it!! Still plugging away at Walden but usually when I sit down to read I find I'd rather spend it with my new friend, Una, so it's a little slow going. :)

I'm so glad people are loving it. I'd have felt like a twit if people hated it. :lol:

Last week I finished Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom. It reminded me of Tuesdays With Morrie which I loved. I also finished a YA book, The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen. I read this with my DD and we both enjoyed it.

This week I'm working on A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard. This is for my book club and I'm finding it difficult to read because my DD is 11 and that is how old Jaycee was when she was abducted. I considered putting it down but will finish so that I can discuss it with my book club friends. I'm also reading Nickel and Dimed by Cristine McMurdo-Wallis and will be discussing this with a group at church. I've had this on my TBR for awhile and I'm glad to have the push to move it to the top of my list.

Margie

Here's my list so far:

1. The Chimes (Dickens)

2. The Twilight of American Culture (Berman)

3. Love and Freindship (Austen)

4. Drive: 9 Ways to Motivate Your Kids to Achieve (Caffrey)

I'm now working on the $5 Dinner Mom's Cookbook and the first part of The Well-Educated Mind (before I start Don Quixote). I am also planning to read through the Bible this year with my husband and kids.

Denise

This week I'm working on A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard. This is for my book club and I'm finding it difficult to read because my DD is 11 and that is how old Jaycee was when she was abducted. I considered putting it down but will finish so that I can discuss it with my book club friends.

Margie

It was a hard book to read, especially as a mother, and with children. It was not an easy read on so many levels but I am glad I read it, and the ending was so inspirational. She has truly made such overcomings in her life...while I am sure she will have a long life to live with her past... keep reading it. It is worth it. HOWEVER I did give it away after I finished it. I knew I would never re-read that book.

I am WAY more careful with my boys now too... it really made me think about how very split second things can change.

If you ever want to discuss some of the elements I would happily do that. I didn't have a book group to discuss it with...and honestly I had some processing to do after reading it. It very much took MY innocence away readying it.

I'm halfway through Ahab's Wife. Those of you starting it next week are going to LOVE it!!

Weird question: Does one have to love Moby Dick in order to appreciate this? I keep wondering if I should get this or not. :confused:

Last week I finished Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom. It reminded me of Tuesdays With Morrie which I loved.

Love Mitch Albom and all of his books. The movies that have been done are very good also.

Weird question: Does one have to love Moby Dick in order to appreciate this? I keep wondering if I should get this or not. :confused:

also.

No you don't have to love Moby Dick. I sure didn't. It does make you more interested in Moby though. It makes the whole whaling society much more interesting and human. I just watched "Into the Deep" as well and sort of want to go back and reread the blasted whale book again. Maybe. Lol!

You want to get this book. I promise. It had me at "Ahab was neither my first husband, nor my last." :D

As far as everything else she has ever written, I think this may be the BEST line she has ever done or ever will do. I felt that way too when I read that line.

It made me want to grab a cup of tea and be like "Girl, you need to dish! Do tell!" And then the opening story she tells...and from then on my kids and house fell to ruins around me. :lol:

It made me want to grab a cup of tea and be like "Girl, you need to dish! Do tell!" And then the opening story she tells...and from then on my kids and house fell to ruins around me. :lol:

YES!!! SJN is one of the very rare modern authors to do that to me. Lionel Shriver does it sometimes and Wally Lamb does it to me about 80% of the time, but there was just something about that line that made time outside the book just stop for me.

I'm halfway through Ahab's Wife. Those of you starting it next week are going to LOVE it!! Still plugging away at Walden but usually when I sit down to read I find I'd rather spend it with my new friend, Una, so it's a little slow going. :)

Glad to hear that! I picked it up from the library today and the book is huge! Huge books intimidate me.

No you don't have to love Moby Dick. I sure didn't. It does make you more interested in Moby though. It makes the whole whaling society much more interesting and human. I just watched "Into the Deep" as well and sort of want to go back and reread the blasted whale book again. Maybe. Lol!

You want to get this book. I promise. It had me at "Ahab was neither my first husband, nor my last." :D

Also got MD audiobook today from the library. Since it's 24 hrs of listening pleasure I may start that in tandem with AW. It could take me weeks to accomplish this!

Think I'll start tonight!

Edited by proverbs356lady

2. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton~Fiction, a small girl is abandoned on a ship to Australia with a white suitcase and a fairy book. The story moves between Edwardian gothic and modern mystery. Morton managed to take what I expect and twist it a bit, but the biggest mystery is obvious from early on. Really fun. I was swept through the mystery until the end.

Hey can you give me a rating on this? PG, PG-13, or R? It sounds a little along the lines of Juliet by Anne Fortier. I'm interested.;)

and from then on my kids and house fell to ruins around me. :lol:

:lol: Love it when that happens. The last book that I read that did that to me was The Host by Stephenie Meyer. My younger dd was "potion making" in the bathroom. I still have no idea what all went into that bucket :D

For any cc moms, Francine Rivers' "Mark of the Lion" series was the last book to do that to me. I was in nursing school at the time...very bad time for a book like that!

For me it was Island of the World by Michael D O'Brien. The world simply stopped. Happily, it was a Saturday and my husband could take the children in hand :) Spectacular CC book.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElisabethGrace viewpost.gif

The Joy of Less: A Minimalist Living Guide by Francine Jay

Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider (Kindle Library loan)

What did you think of both of these? (I wish my library had them!)

In reply to Stacia:

I don't feel that I learned anything new, but I'm constantly striving to be better organized with this houseful!:)

In The Joy of Less, each chapter of Part Three consisted of application of Part Two priciples. It seemed to me that each chapter said the same thing only for different rooms in the house.

I much prefer Confessions of an Organized Homemaker & Confessions of a Happily Organized Family. They are meatier IMO.

HTH!

Edited by ElisabethGrace
I'm apparently not using the quote function properly!

Just finished book #3: Lit!: A Christian Guide to Reading Books. I thought it was pretty good. I definitely took more away from the 2nd half (the practical half) than the 1st half. Some of the theological stuff was interesting though.

Now to decide what to read next...

It was a hard book to read, especially as a mother, and with children. It was not an easy read on so many levels but I am glad I read it, and the ending was so inspirational. She has truly made such overcomings in her life...while I am sure she will have a long life to live with her past... keep reading it. It is worth it. HOWEVER I did give it away after I finished it. I knew I would never re-read that book.

I am WAY more careful with my boys now too... it really made me think about how very split second things can change.

If you ever want to discuss some of the elements I would happily do that. I didn't have a book group to discuss it with...and honestly I had some processing to do after reading it. It very much took MY innocence away readying it.

My friend that chose this for our bookclub feels the same way that you do. I'm at the beginning and it is heartbreaking. I will let you know what I think about it.

Margie

I am on book #5, Living Oprah.

I read your previous post about The Nearby Feast- did you finish that, too? The latest issue of Mother Earth News had an excerpt (which I really enjoyed), and I was wondering if the book as a whole was just as good. :)

I'm on fire! Finished another one this week: In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson.

Didn't enjoy this one as much as The Devil in the White City or Isaac's Storm, but it is still really, really good if you enjoy narrative nonfiction.

Devil in the White City is on my wish list. I keep going back and forth on In the Garden of Beasts. I guess I'll pass on it for now. Thank you. :)

Well looks like I did not make my goal last week. I am still reading Black by Ted Dekker and Frazzled Female by Cindi Wood, but I am almost done with both.

In my defense, I am also taking 3 online college classes so have been reading alot for my classes as well. I guess I can add my textbooks when I am finished too.

Devil in the White City is on my wish list. I keep going back and forth on In the Garden of Beasts. I guess I'll pass on it for now. Thank you. :)

I'm reading Devil for my book club at the end of the month. It has me riveted for sure!!!

I'm finally making progress on So Much For That. I finally care about the characters and an impending death is making that hard. :(

I finished book #3 this week; Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. The subject matter of the book, bullying, hit pretty close to home for me; I was bullied in junior high and high school. Thankfully I had the foresight to see that high school (and the idiots there) was not the end-all, be-all of life. :D I really enjoyed the book, and was kept guessing until the end what the twist in the story would be.

2. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton~Fiction, a small girl is abandoned on a ship to Australia with a white suitcase and a fairy book. The story moves between Edwardian gothic and modern mystery. Morton managed to take what I expect and twist it a bit, but the biggest mystery is obvious from early on. Really fun. I was swept through the mystery until the end.

Hey can you give me a rating on this? PG, PG-13, or R? It sounds a little along the lines of Juliet by Anne Fortier. I'm interested.

Its pretty tame (I would rate it PG), but some of the mystery about who's baby it is probably make the themes more PG-13.

I was going to read Pride & Prejudice after finishing up LIving Oprah, but my long awaited new Stephen King novel, 11/22/63, FINALLY became available from my library...omg what a BRICK :lol: Seriously, it's huge...866 pages! But I'm going to have to start it soon as I know there are other people on the waiting list after me.

Everybody who wants to read Ahab's wife - We can do this one or two ways. It is 157 Chapters and approximately 667 pages.

1) Start reading on Sunday and see where everyone is at as of Saturday night. I don't expect all to read in one week. Then keep going.

or

2) Set a number of chapters or pages to read per day such as 48 pages which will have us finishing in two weeks or 32 pages a day for three weeks.

I have a feeling though from all the comments, we all be lost in the book for a while and come up for air occasionally. :)

Keep it casual or set a schedule.

I also found a list of interesting discussion questions on Harper Collin's site. There are some spoilers so don't look at the questions if you think it will ruin your reading experience. Things to think about as you read or after you read it.

I started a thread on the social group to discuss as well.

Let me know how you want to roll....

Edited by Mytwoblessings
add social group info

Well looks like I did not make my goal last week. I am still reading Black by Ted Dekker and Frazzled Female by Cindi Wood, but I am almost done with both.

In my defense, I am also taking 3 online college classes so have been reading alot for my classes as well. I guess I can add my textbooks when I am finished too.

What classes are you taking?

I was going to read Pride & Prejudice after finishing up LIving Oprah, but my long awaited new Stephen King novel, 11/22/63, FINALLY became available from my library...omg what a BRICK :lol: Seriously, it's huge...866 pages! But I'm going to have to start it soon as I know there are other people on the waiting list after me.

Oh, I'm impatiently waiting for this one. I started reading P&P this week for the first time ever, and I am loving it!

Ohhh. I'm waiting on this one too. (I've never read Stephen King before because I always figured he would scare me too much. :lol:)

A quick trip to NYC to see my sister slowed down my reading but I read:

A Praying Life, Paul Miller - Kindle

A Secret Kept, Tatiana de Rosnay - not nearly as good as Sarah's Key. The way she wrote the male protagonist just wasn't authentic or something...

I finally wrote my review of my first book of the year: Choosing Gratitude: Your Journey to Joy by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. It was a much-needed message for me!

I'm having trouble settling on my next book. I'm reading Beyond Opinion by Ravi Zacharias now, but I also like to have a fiction selection for when I need something less thinkerly. I was trying to read Death Comes to Pemberley but it just wasn't grabbing me so I finally gave up.

Hey can you give me a rating on this? PG, PG-13, or R? It sounds a little along the lines of Juliet by Anne Fortier. I'm interested.

Its pretty tame (I would rate it PG), but some of the mystery about who's baby it is probably make the themes more PG-13.

Thanks so much! I might put this on my TBR pile.

Just finished book 2 and I'm miraculously on track for the year. Yay!

1. Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone

2. The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society -- loved it on audio book because of all the voices for each letter writer!

Still reading My Name is Asher Lev for book club Friday night. Hope I can finish in time. Anyone read this and have thoughts?

Book #2 - "One Corpse Too Many" - by Ellis Peters. The second Cadfael mystery. Pretty light reading, I know, but I have several books going at once, and the light ones are what I reach for when the two-year-old gets out of bed at 11:30 p.m. and won't go back to sleep for two hours. Just can't handle anything deeper at that hour, and I don't get much time to read during the rest of the day.

Book #1 - "A Morbid Taste for Bones" by Ellis Peters