Menu

Add yours..."I bet I'm the only only one here that.."

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a funeral director, but I did date a mortician.

I might be the only person here whose husband lives 9 hours away due to work, and we started homeschooling so the kids and I could split our time between there and home?

Funeral Director is today's PC title for "mortician." Same difference. There's also a trend to call funeral homes "life celebration homes," too.

I know a lot of funeral directors and persons otherwise involved in the business of death. I worked for a cemetery for a few years, and my mother has worked either in funeral homes or cemeteries for the past 20 or so years.

Edited by BrookValley
I can't spell before my coffee.

I bet I'm the only one who shaves her daughter's head...

and I bet I'm the only one to perform in a half-time show for a Giant's game with 72,000 people watching. :svengo:

My aunt and her family are Mexican. I remember her telling my mom to shave my head so that my hair wouldn't be so fine. I'm pretty sure she shaved both of my cousin's hair off as children. Is it like that, or for a different reason?

I finally thought of one that's not too embarrassing and might actually be an only...

Am I the only person here who has been bitten in the face by a bobcat? Because I was bitten in the face by a bobcat. Just a nip really, but still. :lol: My kids are enthralled every time I tell the (actually) extremely boring tale. :tongue_smilie: He didn't draw blood and there are no scars, thank goodness.

I got bit on the face by a Shar-pei. I worked for a vet and was trying to hold the dog so the vet could draw blood. Wrinkly little thing was not happy, spun around and chomped down on my jaw. I was so mad, blood going everywhere. The vet's wife rushed me to the doctor, sat with me as they stitched it up. I have a nice crescent shaped scar. I also had a v-shaped bruise on my face for a while. It certainly wasn't the only time I got bit, but it was the only time I got bit on the face.

I did once pull a mad cat out from under a cabinet while it's mouth was firmly attached to my middle finger. Have a scar there too. I knew the only way we could get him out was reach in there and grab it. The space was too tight (these were installed cabinets) for me to reach to the top of his head. So he chomped down and I pulled. The vet was watching and astounded because he couldn't figure out how to get the booger out either.

I should write more of those stories down, that place was a wild place to work.

I bet I'm the only one who ever locked her keys in her car with the engine still running.

I locked my keys in the trunk. The rest of the car was open. Who knew a Kia Rio had NO inside trunk release and NO way to fold down the back seats to access the trunk!?

I was 16, 5 hours away from home, and it was the middle of winter. A very nice locksmith sat on ice for two hours working on it, let me sit in his warm van, and only charged me $20.

I bet I'm the only one who ever locked her keys in her car with the engine still running.

Nope, sorry. I did it twice with a child in the car both times. Fortunately the events were about 10 years apart with a different child each time. :) Boy, I hate to admit that one. Matter fact, those are about the only 2 times I've EVER locked my keys in. Hmm...

I've been followed through the U.S.S.R. by the KGB.

O.k. I've had it. You people who are posting teaser lines like this just HAVE to tell more of the story!! We need details!! Although I suppose that might get you killed, so never mind.

:001_smile:

But it's much less interesting when you get the whole story ;). (I was in an orchestra touring the USSR and as a matter of course, a couple KGB agents were assigned to follow us everywhere. After a few days, one of the violists noticed that this one couple was attending every concert we performed and were even on our train from Moscow to Leningrad. By the end of the tour we were all good buddies and "Tanya" and "Sasha" ate dinner with us and helped us load our luggage onto the tour bus.)

Rather than "I bet I am the only one" I will say "I HOPE I am the only one who..."

... During her wild college days, went on spring break, had too much to drink, entered and won a bikini contest, and ended up in a bikini on Coors Light posters in bars all over the country.

How humiliating. :tongue_smilie:

Well, there is the proof that God can change even the worst of us! :D

So, now we know what poster to look for :D

I was talking to some girls at church--yes, church--about a current song called N*ggas in Paris, cracking up about it, and it totally made me think of NWA for some reason. (I assume the N-word, LOL)

ANYhow...

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I'm sort of obsessed with reading all the quality zombie fiction I can find and looking for, dare I say it, zombie *literature* rather than just gore-in-a-cover. I think the whole zombie apocalypse scenario is very compelling. I'm sure some would say that "quality zombie fiction" is an oxymoron and, much of the time, it's true! LOL What can I say. It's a weakness.

My aunt and her family are Mexican. I remember her telling my mom to shave my head so that my hair wouldn't be so fine. I'm pretty sure she shaved both of my cousin's hair off as children. Is it like that, or for a different reason?

Actually, my dd has alopecia areata...she sometimes has huge patches of lost hair, and it looks better all shaved off than 20 wild wisps sticking out, YWIM? Luckily I haven't had to do that in awhile, as she has more hair patches than bald patches right now. :)

Me, too! I was a grad student at GA Tech in 1996.

So I wasn't "the only one here!" :D I was at Tech, too, working for the Psychology department at the time. The Today Show took over the top floor of our building. They built that big stage looking out over the courtyard.

I've heard that this is a common practice among the Chinese.

Loving this thread :thumbup: I feel so boring :lol:

I too have eaten banana and mayo sandwiches. Eaten more banana and peanut butter though. I have also eaten lots of ketchup sandwiches (yeah just ketchup on bread) and lots of bread with ranch dressing as a meal.

Huge baseball fan here. Go Cardinals!!!

9 days here! :D (but only 9 years [10 in May] in the marriage department ;) )

Wow -- I have you both beat: 7 days after 1st date (of course, we did know each other and had written for a few years).

How about this: I bet I'm the only one here whose first date with dh was to a garbage dump, and got proposed to in a cemetery.:001_smile: We just celebrated our 30th a few weeks ago. Life has NOT been boring!:lol:

I bet I'm the only one here that paid for college by being an accounting clerk at a savings & loan and also a bassoonist in a city orchestra.

I bet I'm the only woman here that just shaved my hair down to the scalp!

I cut my own hair short all the time. But this time I messed up beyond belief and had to shave my head. I feel like crying though cause it wasn't what I personally would ever want. I like short hair but not THAT short!

By the time I lose mine from chemo treatments, yours will have grown back. Have fun with it in the mean time!

I might be the only one who (in her pre-homeschool life) designed b00ks for a living. :) You should have seen the guys in DH's office when I brought some home to show them. They would inadvertantly start squeezing them when in his office. :tongue_smilie: My male neighbour/good friend couldn't keep his hands off of them (he's a b00k man). :lol: The implants for berries (as in twig-n-berries) blew their minds. :lol:

I also have a dog named Coldbeer with Shiner and Bock as cats. :)

Edited by aggie96

I bet I am the only one who has:

Walked from Portland Maine to NYC? (It was a fundraising trip for Habitat for Humanity)

Went to graduate school and studied a foreign language so obscure that the US government gave me a full grant (to insure that some US citizen studied that language in case it ever became an issue of national importance - not likely!)

Edited by Cammie

I bet I am the only one who has:

Walked from Portland Maine to NYC? (It was a fundraising trip for Habitat for Humanity)

Went to graduate school and studied a foreign language so obsure that the US government gave me a full grant (to insure that some US citizen studied that language in case it ever became an issue of national importance - not likely!)

Okay I have to know... what language did you study?

I'm boring, I just study Spanish, French and Portuguese. And only secondary to my main degree (history). I would have loved to do linguistics though, and one day want to learn a super obscure language, just to say I did it! :D

I remembered something else. I bet I'm the only one that got married on Friday the 13th on Cemetery Rd. We didn't think anything of the address until FIL said something to us after the wedding about the invitations that said something like, "Please join us for...yada, yada, yada...on Friday the 13th at XXXXX Cemetery Road.":001_huh: Classy.:lol:

We thought it would be fun to get married on Friday the 13th and 13 is our number.:D

I bet I'm the only one who worked the 1996 Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta at the Baseball Stadium as a teen. I worked in food service and got to hang out in the news room a good bit, watching the games and listening to the coverage in so many different languages. It was cool!

Yikes! Do we wamt to know the story behind this???

Hmm ... working in a care facility? I had similar things happen when I was working in one.

Yep. When I was 14, I volunteered at a nursing home. I was there for a year or so when I found out I could actually be PAID if I took a job as a "feeder" instead of just helping with activities and such. Basically, I would bring the residents their meal tray and either help them feed themselves, or do it for them if they weren't able.

So I had one little guy on my wing who was super-sweet, but didn't talk much. Tons of personality, though.

One day I came in with his tray and noticed his face was bruised pretty badly. Apparently, he had taken a nasty spill since I'd last seen him. I felt so bad for him! He put his arms out for a hug, and of course, I went in to hug the poor dear.

That's when he bit me. Right on the bOOk! :eek:

Luckily, he didn't have his teeth in :lol: but that was it for me, lol. Had I been a grown-up, I don't think it would have been as big of a deal, but at 14, wow. I was NOT expecting that!

How tall are you, and do small feet run in your family?

I can't imagine how much trouble you have buying appropriate shoes.:grouphug:

(And I thought I had trouble wearing size 11!)

I am 5'. I am adopted so I don't know if they run in my family or not:)

I am so glad that lately they are making girls shoes more grown up. Heels are the worst. Sometimes a size 4 will work if the toes are pointy enough.

Nope, I did this and to make it worse, I was parked in a no parking zone right in front of the Quad on the main street through the Texas A&M campus when I did it. :blushing:

There is a great book, something along the lines of "What to do when your dead". It was about all the cool things that you can 'do' when your dead. It was a great read, and I hope that I can do so many exciting and/or worthwhile things when I'm dead.

Thanks! I will have to look for that one!

I am probably the only one on here who wears a size 12 shoe. I am the only one who has a "No preserving bugs in the freezer" rule.

My SIL wears a size 12 or 13. She found a perfect place for finding nice womans footwear.

She was in charge of the costumes for "Rocky Horror Picture Show" and had to do some shopping in stores for men needed woman's clothes. She was so happy because she could finally find fancy women's shoes in her size. :)

My SIL wears a size 12 or 13. She found a perfect place for finding nice womans footwear.

She was in charge of the costumes for "Rocky Horror Picture Show" and had to do some shopping in stores for men needed woman's clothes. She was so happy because she could finally find fancy women's shoes in her size. :)

LOL. I order all my shoes online now. Thank you for the internet. The men needing womens clothing stores do have nice shoes.

No. Unfortunately. I came back out to the car an hour later and it had run out of gas! My father came, with his extra key and a gas can, to help me out. Let's just say he was not impressed. :lol: Happily, I can announce this with no embarrassment b/c I was a teen at the time! I haven't done it lately (Thank God!).

I once sold Anson Williams of Happy Days fame a Playboy. I worked at a gift shop in the airport. He had a great smile.

I sold underwear to Jack Nicholson. I was a customer service rep for Victoria Secret (aka they called us fashion consultants) and worked the midnight shift when a lot of pervs and celebrities called on).

Laura