Menu

Add yours..."I bet I'm the only only one here that.."

I bet I'm the only one here who can list "Tug Trash" on her resume.:D

While in London, "Christine" (this was after Sarah Brightman) had a friend and me to her dressing room for wine while she had her hair and make-up done. She gave us a wonderful tour of the set (including places we probably shouldn't have gone) and we met the Phantom (again, after Michael Crawford).

Has anyone else been on the USS Constitution while it was underway under sail? :001_smile: I think one of the posters here from a long time ago won a contest to go, but I don't remember who it was.

ETA: I love banana and mayo sandwiches. Peanut butter and pickles on toast is another favorite! Yum!

Edited by Aggie

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been to Russian parties... always plenty of vodka... and pickles... and herring. (I always skip the vodka, though.)

So tell us more about the two Sergeis. ;)

Yeah, I should have skipped the vodka. The Sergeis weren't that interesting. One of them was in my graduate program in France, and the other was his best friend visiting from Russia. I only really knew them because Sergei#1 was the flatmate of this guy from Cameroon who was desperately trying to woo me to be his second wife. He already had one wife and two daughters living in Ivory Coast, but he eventually hoped to have 12 wives. He wrote me poems, bought me food, insisted on carrying my bags/books when he would see me. He even bought presents for my family and friends when they came to visit me. I was too nice to tell him to leave me the &^*% alone, but I did make it perfectly clear that I was not interested in marriage at all. That didn't seem to deter him. He ended up coming to the States and going to grad school at the University where my sister was an undergrad. She was a vegetarian at the time, sharing an apartment with two other girls. Mr. Cameroon showed up at their door one night when my sister was out, holding a roasted chicken in his hands, and asking the other girls in his very poor English (we always conversed in French) for my sister. They were very confused about why this strange guy was giving my vegetarian sister a chicken. He eventually met another girl who he thought might be a good candidate for marriage, and stopped trying so hard to get me. :lol:

Yeah, I should have skipped the vodka. The Sergeis weren't that interesting. One of them was in my graduate program in France, and the other was his best friend visiting from Russia. I only really knew them because Sergei#1 was the flatmate of this guy from Cameroon who was desperately trying to woo me to be his second wife. He already had one wife and two daughters living in Ivory Coast, but he eventually hoped to have 12 wives. He wrote me poems, bought me food, insisted on carrying my bags/books when he would see me. He even bought presents for my family and friends when they came to visit me. I was too nice to tell him to leave me the &^*% alone, but I did make it perfectly clear that I was not interested in marriage at all. That didn't seem to deter him. He ended up coming to the States and going to grad school at the University where my sister was an undergrad. She was a vegetarian at the time, sharing an apartment with two other girls. Mr. Cameroon showed up at their door one night when my sister was out, holding a roasted chicken in his hands, and asking the other girls in his very poor English (we always conversed in French) for my sister. They were very confused about why this strange guy was giving my vegetarian sister a chicken. He eventually met another girl who he thought might be a good candidate for marriage, and stopped trying so hard to get me. :lol:

You might be the only one here who has been wooed to be a 2nd wife by a man from Cameroon.

A real rat's tail... without the rat?

:ack2: Come on! Fess up! Story behind that?

This happened during the Age of Leisure Suits. My boss had a large collection. One day he wore one that had a beige background that was mottled with different shades of beige streaks and splotches.

I asked him what material the suit was made from. He proclaimed happily, "This is my rat's ass suit!" Yeah. A rat with a skin disease.

I called my mom, who worked with a research scientist at the same medical school I worked for. The main animals he used in his research were rats. So he had a bunch of dead rats in his lab nearly every day, and I figured we could do something with that. My mom thought of using a rat tail pocket watch as the perfect accessory to go with that suit.

The next day, I brought him his gift. We played lots of practical jokes on each other in my department. That was the only time I've ever seen that talkative, funny, playful guy become speechless. He's 70 now, and he says that is the only time in his life that he was at a loss for words. I really got him!

Edited by RoughCollie

:svengo:

Oh no. I never thought of that. Did you HAVE to say that??? (I think I might have nightmares now!)

I have to say it! Why would someone bury a carpet? Unless they were super eccentric and buried all sorts of things, in which case, you probably would have found more than the carpet. Right? :confused:

We found a quilt when we were burying a pet, and it had a cat in it. I was thinking all through your story that you were going to find another animal.

I have to say it! Why would someone bury a carpet? Unless they were super eccentric and buried all sorts of things, in which case, you probably would have found more than the carpet. Right? :confused:

We found a quilt when we were burying a pet, and it had a cat in it. I was thinking all through your story that you were going to find another animal.

I was dreading her finding a human skeleton! Why would anyone bury a carpet?

This happened during the Age of Leisure Suits. My boss had a large collection. One day he wore one that had a beige background that was mottled with different shades of beige streaks and splotches.

I asked him what material the suit was made from. He proclaimed happily, "This is my rat's ass suit!" Yeah. A rat with a skin disease.

I called my mom, who worked with a research scientist at the same medical school I worked for. The main animals he used in his research were rats. So he had a bunch of dead rats in his lab nearly every day, and I figured we could do something with that. My mom thought of using a rat tail pocket watch as the perfect accessory to go with that suit.

The next day, I brought him his gift. We played lots of practical jokes on each other in my department. That was the only time I've ever seen that talkative, funny, playful guy become speechless. He's 70 now, and he says that is the only time in his life that he was at a loss for words. I really got him!

This whole scenario is highly disturbing! :lol::lol::lol:

Guest submarines
I bet I'm the only one who ever locked her keys in her car with the engine still running.

And didn't notice that the keys were still in and the engine still running? And left the car parked on the street for 4 hours, while you attended a street festival with DH and your kids? And when you came back you didn't think it was *your* car because there were 2 police officers next to it, trying to call the owners? Ah, sorry, that was *me*. :lol:

I have to say it! Why would someone bury a carpet?

We live in a rural area. People here regularly burn, pile, and bury their garbage on their property to avoid bringing it to the dump and paying fees to have it carted away. It's quite a bit extra to leave large appliances, building materials, large carpets, etc.

*We* don't bury our garbage. I make dh pay the fee and leave it at the dump... but then, we were city folk. :D

When we first moved here there was an old excavator (machine), a rusted out car frame, a huge pile of tires, several piles of carpeting, lots of rusted metal, a mattress, and some other junk. A lot of it was piled in various places here and there. Some was partially buried. We had the previous owners arrange for someone to remove as much as we found (but later we found MORE).

Edited by zaichiki

Love this thread!!

Had my bleached, nearly white hair stained with red/pink splotches from fake blood shooting out at the audience at a GWAR concert:blink:

Still can't keep my left from my right straight... :blush:

Please don't catch me off guard and ask me for directions :eek:

Bought my sister a pet alligator for her 15th birthday.

Still can't keep my left from my right straight... :blush:

Please don't catch me off guard and ask me for directions :eek:

I will admit that you aren't the only one with this problem. :blushing:

I don't even try when in the car with my husband. He knows to just look at which way I am pointing.

I opened the hood of a car once and found squirrel PARTS all over it! :ack2:

We had a squirrel fall down our chimney and into our wood stove, while the stove was cooking. I had to scream to the kids not to open the door...I didn't want flaming squirrel running through the house! It smelled like hair and meat for the entire day:tongue_smilie:

Faithe

By the time I lose mine from chemo treatments, yours will have grown back. Have fun with it in the mean time!

:grouphug: My sister is going through chemo right now for breast cancer. I figure if she can deal without hair, so can I. :grouphug:

We had a squirrel fall down our chimney and into our wood stove, while the stove was cooking. I had to scream to the kids not to open the door...I didn't want flaming squirrel running through the house! It smelled like hair and meat for the entire day:tongue_smilie:

Faithe

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I bet I'm the only one here that doesn't bury small pets. Hamsters and fish just get tossed across the street into the bushes. :D

Awww. Poor babies! Do your kids know?

A few years ago my dh threw a frozen (sort-of-pet) turkey into the woods/side of a hiking trail that borders our house. The kids are still angry. (Her name was Turkey Lurkey.)

We have since buried pets: parakeets, a peacock, guinea fowl, chickens, and rabbits.

Edited by zaichiki

Faithe

We had a squirrel fall down into our burning fireplace. It was awful.

Awww. Poor babies! Do your kids know?

A few years ago my dh threw a frozen (sort-of-pet) turkey into the woods/side of a hiking trail that borders our house a few winters ago. The kids are still angry. (Her name was Turkey Lurkey.)

(We have since buried pet parakeets, a peacock, guinea fowl, chickens, and rabbits.)

My 3 year old who was 2 at the time saw me throw the hamster. It never even occurred to me to bury it as she had just squeezed the poor thing to death. She was really confused when we went to the pet store the next day and bought its twin. :lol:

Faithe

We had a pet hamster crawl through a decorative floor vent. That winter the smell was awful. Every time the heat came on, one of my kids would say, "there's Sweetheart!" So gross.

Faithe

Oh...oh. How can something be so tragic and yet so hilarious at the same time?

We had a little bird wind up in our woodstove, but there was no fire going, thankfully. He just flapped a bit and, when we opened the doors, looked at us as if to say, "Little help here, please?" He let us pick him up and put him on the deck.

And didn't notice that the keys were still in and the engine still running? And left the car parked on the street for 4 hours, while you attended a street festival with DH and your kids? And when you came back you didn't think it was *your* car because there were 2 police officers next to it, trying to call the owners? Ah, sorry, that was *me*. :lol:

Ok, I've never admitted this to anyone but my husband, but I've had a similar thing happen. I took our boys and a couple friends to the movies one day. We were right on time; almost late. I swept us all out of the car and into the movies. When we were walking out of the movies I couldn't find my keys in my purse as we were walking to the car. As we got closer to the car it took only a second to go through "what's that sound?" straight through to "on no!! Tell me I didn't!!". I was, and still am, mortified I could do something so brainless. My car wasn't even locked. Nothing was missing; not even the car. Ugh! Mortified even now!

Oh...oh. How can something be so tragic and yet so hilarious at the same time?

We had a little bird wind up in our woodstove, but there was no fire going, thankfully. He just flapped a bit and, when we opened the doors, looked at us as if to say, "Little help here, please?" He let us pick him up and put him on the deck.

Oh, that reminds me of the time I was treating a patient at their house when I noticed a hummingbird stuck on their partially screened in porch. The poor thing was banging into the screens but couldn't find the few tears in the screen where it could have gotten out. I went out and it was so exhausted it let me pick it up and sat on my finger while I walked it outside and placed it on a small branch in a bush.

I also raised a baby robin when I was in college. He grew from a tiny baby I fed bits of chopped worm to a full grown robin who I taught to fly. I could bang the tin can I kept his worms in and he would fly to sit on my shoulder from wherever he was in the yard. He would follow me by hopping behind me to the strawberry garden and eat while I picked berries. One day close to fall the cat got some of his tail feathers and he wouldn't come to me after that.

I just thought of another....Although there might be someone else who has had this :)

When I was in Indonesia I had coffee called Kopi Luwak. Basically it is coffee made from beans of coffee berries eaten by the Asian Palm Civet (like a weasel). After the bean has passed through its digestive track it is washed, dried in the sun roasted and brewed. This makes for a less bitter coffee.

All this talk of rodents reminds me of the time we had a horrible smell in our bathroom... a la dead mouse. I knew it had to be in the vent but DH couldn't find it. A few days went by and I REALLY needed to take a shower, (I was trying to wait it out). So during my hurried shower the tub was kinda filling up (somewhat normal in our house) but at the very end I noticed some unusual hair by the plug (fur)... yeah, I took a shower with a dead mouse in drain. yuck!! :eek:

Faithe

Now I'm wounding if I'm the only one who has eaten squirrel with gravy and dumplings. I loved it when I was little. I don't think I could go back there.