Menu

Add yours..."I bet I'm the only only one here that.."

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet I'm the only one who has dug a grave for an alpaca in the pouring rain. Unfortunately, ds lost a dear pet chicken the same day and had put it into the partially dug grave before the rain began. Let me tell you... digging a hole several feet deep that has already filled quite a bit with water... and then pulling up a dead rooster on the shovel (feathers floating everywhere)... IS NOT MY FAVORITE ACTIVITY. And then guess what we hit?! A huge, muddy, soaked CARPET! Apparently the previous owners had chosen *that exact spot* to bury their old carpet. It was partially under a huge ROCK and we couldn't get it out (sodden and muddy). This was a HORRIBLE experience, but thinking about it now... well... it sounds so insane that it's funny!

I sold underwear to Jack Nicholson. I was a customer service rep for Victoria Secret (aka they called us fashion consultants) and worked the midnight shift when a lot of pervs and celebrities called on).

Laura

I used to work the night shift as a customer service rep for a company that sold organizers and business motivation products. I once took an order from a woman who said she was placing the order for Prince Albert of Monaco. She gave me the American Express card info and the address. I remember calling Amex to verify and them asking me for the name on the card and feeling absolutely ridiculous saying, "Prince Albert of Monaco" and for the address, "the Prince's Palace, Monaco". But, apparently that was his card because they approved the order!

I bet I'm the only one who jams out to old Run DMC, Rob Base, and other rappers from the 80's. When I hear that music, I just have to get up and DANCE!! and even my kids know the songs!

Um ;) so do we! DH does it with me. :lol:

The scary part is, we're not old enough to remember them being current. When Run DMC did that cover of Walk This Way ... I was an infant and DH was a toddler.

I used to work the night shift as a customer service rep for a company that sold organizers and business motivation products. I once took an order from a woman who said she was placing the order for Prince Albert of Monaco. She gave me the American Express card info and the address. I remember calling Amex to verify and them asking me for the name on the card and feeling absolutely ridiculous saying, "Prince Albert of Monaco" and for the address, "the Prince's Palace, Monaco". But, apparently that was his card because they approved the order!

How fun!

A lot of the celebrities who bought from VS used an agent's address. Only a few had their real names w/a Hollywood addy (this was in the 80s--probably none do now).

Laura

I bet I'm the only one who raises "cute little lambs"

I don't think you're terrible, but that would do my kids IN. They are in all kinds of love with our animals. We've processed chickens, ducks, and turkeys... but the kids were heartbroken every time! I cannot imagine how they'd handle raising mammals for meat. Especially cute little lambs!

(We did raise a baby goat for meat, but sold it to someone else alive. They *still* don't know he went for meat. In fact, they named him TOFU b/c they thought that was the good karma way to keep him from being meat! LOL!)

I am a local politics junkie and spend my only 2 free nights a month going to city council meetings. I'm considering a run for school board next election cycle (or for city council).

Any one else?

Laura

Very cool!

I'm very much into politics (mainly national, but starting to follow more closely at the local level), and have thought about running for local office in some capacity as well. One of my best friends is a political junkie too - we get together for breakfast every two weeks and talk politics non-stop (neither of our husbands is into politics to the extent we are, so there's a lot of pent-up stuff that needs to get out ;)), and attend lots of political functions, rallies, etc.together.

It sounds like you're really well versed in local politics. For someone wanting to get more involved locally, where would you say is the best place to start?

Believe me, you still do not want the Russian Vodka party. It also involved eating pickles after every round of vodka. :ack2:

I've been to Russian parties... always plenty of vodka... and pickles... and herring. (I always skip the vodka, though.)

So tell us more about the two Sergeis. ;)

Very cool!

I'm very much into politics (mainly national, but starting to follow more closely at the local level), and have thought about running for local office in some capacity as well. One of my best friends is a political junkie too - we get together for breakfast every two weeks and talk politics non-stop (neither of our husbands is into politics to the extent we are, so there's a lot of pent-up stuff that needs to get out ;)), and attend lots of political functions, rallies, etc.together.

It sounds like you're really well versed in local politics. For someone wanting to get more involved locally, where would you say is the best place to start?

I just started going to local council meetings. I eventually got appointed to our Parks and Rec board. I know most of the leaders in our city now. I considered running 2 years ago and had the backing of the mayor and former mayor and several of the other council members and our state rep. But the kids were too young. Our next election is in 2 years.

You can also join your local Republican/Democratic party--our town has its own, but so does our county.

I'm disappointed though at how ugly things can get. I'm not sure if this is limited to my community at this point in time (I've heard from locals that this is the worst they've ever seen), or if it's very common in local politics.

I, too, used to be so much more interested in national, and international politics even more so. I thought local politics were soooo boring. But, being involved in my community is fascinating on so many levels (I knew when we were getting a Panera's and was just invited to tour a tire recycling plant at a company who might relocate to ours). I rarely pay attention to international news now (it' so depressing and seems so remote).

Laura

Sorry. Believe or not, there are TWO of us here who have chickens living in the house! :lol: There's always a bird(s) in here.

On that same vein, I bet I'm the only one here who drives hundreds of miles several times per year, all over the country, to show chickens on a regional and national level. (I am known locally as the crazy chicken lady. I haven't figured out yet if that's a compliment or not. :tongue_smilie:)

Wow! Two of you. Amazing.:svengo:

I remembered something else. I bet I'm the only one that got married on Friday the 13th on Cemetery Rd. We didn't think anything of the address until FIL said something to us after the wedding about the invitations that said something like, "Please join us for...yada, yada, yada...on Friday the 13th at XXXXX Cemetery Road.":001_huh: Classy.:lol:

We thought it would be fun to get married on Friday the 13th and 13 is our number.:D

I was married on a Friday the 13th too. It has always been lucky for me.:D

Faithe....

I hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and camped at the bottom, but was stung several times on the chest by a scorpion after lying down to sleep. I ended up crouched in my sleeping bag on top of a picnic table all night hallucinating, while my husband sat up and kept watch.

shiver

Okay I have to know... what language did you study?

I'm boring, I just study Spanish, French and Portuguese. And only secondary to my main degree (history). I would have loved to do linguistics though, and one day want to learn a super obscure language, just to say I did it! :D

Telugu - the language of the state of Andhra Pradesh in South India! And for both years there were just two of us in the class. The other girl came from a Telugu speaking family! I had to move to Wisconsin to attend UW which has the only Telugu program in the country! Luckily I married a Telugu guy so it wasn't all a waste in the end!

I bet I'm the only one who has dug a grave for an alpaca in the pouring rain. Unfortunately, ds lost a dear pet chicken the same day and had put it into the partially dug grave before the rain began. Let me tell you... digging a hole several feet deep that has already filled quite a bit with water... and then pulling up a dead rooster on the shovel (feathers floating everywhere)... IS NOT MY FAVORITE ACTIVITY. And then guess what we hit?! A huge, muddy, soaked CARPET! Apparently the previous owners had chosen *that exact spot* to bury their old carpet. It was partially under a huge ROCK and we couldn't get it out (sodden and muddy). This was a HORRIBLE experience, but thinking about it now... well... it sounds so insane that it's funny!

Oh, I've totally done that.

KIDDING! Of course I haven't! And how sure are you that there wasn't originally something...or somebody...buried wrapped in that carpet?

I just started going to local council meetings. I eventually got appointed to our Parks and Rec board. I know most of the leaders in our city now. I considered running 2 years ago and had the backing of the mayor and former mayor and several of the other council members and our state rep. But the kids were too young. Our next election is in 2 years.

You can also join your local Republican/Democratic party--our town has its own, but so does our county.

I'm disappointed though at how ugly things can get. I'm not sure if this is limited to my community at this point in time (I've heard from locals that this is the worst they've ever seen), or if it's very common in local politics.

I, too, used to be so much more interested in national, and international politics even more so. I thought local politics were soooo boring. But, being involved in my community is fascinating on so many levels (I knew when we were getting a Panera's and was just invited to tour a tire recycling plant at a company who might relocate to ours). I rarely pay attention to international news now (it' so depressing and seems so remote).

Laura

Thanks for sharing your experience! Sounds like your involvement has provided some really interesting opportunities. I'll look into when our local council meetings take place.

Our local politics are pretty contentious too from what I've gathered - so I'm guessing it's a universal thing.

I bet I'm the only one who raises "cute little lambs" (as my friend calls them in hopes that she'll change my mind) for my freezer... People always want their kids to see them..."Sure" I say, "Come on over". They arrive and want to play with them. I razingly have to tell the parents that we don't play with our food :tongue_smilie: .But I'll still let the kids hold a calm lamb if there is one...believe it or not those little guys can jump around like rabbits.

Oh and right now I have a bottle dairy bull calf that I'm raising for the freezer as well.

...now I'm off to my corner to hide from those that will think I'm terrible :leaving:

Nah, we raise sheep for meat. I personally prefer goat though :)

Don't know?? The only FOI I know is the freedome of information act!! I assume it has another meaning?

I think foi is Gujarati for husband's sister. (My brother will be a new father.) I got to have a special role in the pooja.

I wasn't expecting the dye and rice, though. S-i-l forgot to tell me. (Dd was laughing at me -- I should have told them to put the dye/rice on HER forehead! :lol:)

I think foi is Gujarati for husband's sister. (My brother will be a new father.) I got to have a special role in the pooja.

I wasn't expecting the dye and rice, though. S-i-l forgot to tell me. (Dd was laughing at me -- I should have told them to put the dye/rice on HER forehead! :lol:)

If it is anything like the babyshowers we have in DH's family, and also the wedding rituals, there might have been a reasons you and the new mom were both blessed. Often things are done to fool the "evil eye" and to keep the "bad attention" off of the person who is being celebrated. For example, in our wedding there was a junior bride and a junior groom...both in place to confuse the evil eye off of the real bride and real groom.

Plus you get to be the super special aunt so you deserved a little kumkum and rice!

If it is anything like the babyshowers we have in DH's family, and also the wedding rituals, there might have been a reasons you and the new mom were both blessed. Often things are done to fool the "evil eye" and to keep the "bad attention" off of the person who is being celebrated. For example, in our wedding there was a junior bride and a junior groom...both in place to confuse the evil eye off of the real bride and real groom.

Ooooooh!!! That would be the reason for the passing back-and-forth of the coconut baby, right? Gotcha.

Plus you get to be the super special aunt so you deserved a little kumkum and rice!

:D Yeah! Super-special auntie! Giggle. (I do intend to spoil the baby. Just don't tell my kids.)

But it's much less interesting when you get the whole story ;). (I was in an orchestra touring the USSR and as a matter of course, a couple KGB agents were assigned to follow us everywhere. After a few days, one of the violists noticed that this one couple was attending every concert we performed and were even on our train from Moscow to Leningrad. By the end of the tour we were all good buddies and "Tanya" and "Sasha" ate dinner with us and helped us load our luggage onto the tour bus.)

Whew. I can sleep tonight! Loved the story! Thanks, Susan! :D

Nope, sorry. I did it twice with a child in the car both times. Fortunately the events were about 10 years apart with a different child each time. :) Boy, I hate to admit that one. Matter fact, those are about the only 2 times I've EVER locked my keys in. Hmm...

DH & I did this. Not only one set of keys, but BOTH sets of keys. One was in the ignition (truck running), one was in my purse which I set on the seat, and we closed the doors. DS was strapped in his carseat. Thankfully he was asleep and not screaming for us to get him at the time. AAA shows up really quickly when you tell them there is a baby locked in the car...in North Carolina...in August.

I bet I'm the only one who has moved 33 times in 42 years.

(No wonder I have no rl friends.)

Not counting in town moves (there's 4 or 5 of those, too), I've moved 14 times since January of 1998 when I first moved from home to attend school. We are moving again in about two weeks.

I just pulled my kids out of PS at Christmas time. DD has completed her first half of 4th grade in her 5th public school. Poor kid.

This is a large part of why we decided to try homeschooling. After researching, I've got a lot more reasons as to why we will most likely continue through highschool.

Yep. When I was 14, I volunteered at a nursing home. I was there for a year or so when I found out I could actually be PAID if I took a job as a "feeder" instead of just helping with activities and such. Basically, I would bring the residents their meal tray and either help them feed themselves, or do it for them if they weren't able.

So I had one little guy on my wing who was super-sweet, but didn't talk much. Tons of personality, though.

One day I came in with his tray and noticed his face was bruised pretty badly. Apparently, he had taken a nasty spill since I'd last seen him. I felt so bad for him! He put his arms out for a hug, and of course, I went in to hug the poor dear.

That's when he bit me. Right on the bOOk! :eek:

Luckily, he didn't have his teeth in :lol: but that was it for me, lol. Had I been a grown-up, I don't think it would have been as big of a deal, but at 14, wow. I was NOT expecting that!

Haha, called it!

Hmmm....

I bet I'm the only one here that wears a headcovering while wearing pants. :D

(Not all the time. I don't always wear a headcovering, and I somtimes wear skirts instead of pants. And I sometimes wear a headcovering AND skirts. But I never, ever see other women wear a headcovering with pants. :))

I bet I'm the only one who wears a skirt and only a skirt or dress all the time.:)