Menu

Do you say "Ow!"/"Ouch" when you hurt yourself?

Do you say "Ow"/"Ouch" often?  

1. 1. Do you say "Ow"/"Ouch" often?

• Yes: it hurts so I say it
    • No: only for really serious pain
    • Other

Someone I know always does even if it's a tiny hurt. For example, he twists his thumb as he takes something out of a drawer, or his wrist hurts a bit as he unscrews a jar. I'm not talking about serious pain which leaves you gasping or brings tears to your eyes.

I've just realised that I interpret this as complaining whereas he.... maybe sees it as conversation? I don't know, but I suspect it's my attitude that needs to change.

Anyway, poll to follow, out of curiosity.

Laura

I don't say it for everything but I do say it a lot. An ow that doesn't expect a sympathy comment from anyone is not complaining, IMO. I'm usually just talking to myself. An ow that is always followed with a pause for the appropriate, "Aw, poor baby," comment would be annoying.

well usually it's sh#% :tongue_smilie:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

actually I think I say Ow when it's not a curse word

Yup, pretty much.

When it's really bad, I don't say anything at all, b/c I have to catch my breath. Then it's mumbled curse words, or "OW OW OW OW"

Yup, pretty much.

When it's really bad, I don't say anything at all, b/c I have to catch my breath. Then it's mumbled curse words, or "OW OW OW OW"

Yep. I am like that too. If it is something really painful I can't speak. My dh will ask if I'm ok if he witnessed it, and I will just hold my hand up to signal give me a minute. Other than that, if I ram my foot into the door or something not too bad, I'll "ow, ow, ow" and keep on going. Most of the time no one is around to even hear it.

A simple "ow/ouch" IMO, not complaining... going on and on over something tiny, I'd lean toward complaining (or attention-getting).

I say it even if I'm alone. I think of it as an outward manifestation of an interior situation.

I say OW, even when I'm by myself. It isn't for the benefit of anyone else, and I don't need sympathy. It's almost like a little release of air, a way to manage pain... :)

:iagree:

Yes, even when I'm alone, and every time I have to crouch down to open a cupboard or to see to the washing machine (bad knees). And every time I do it, I reflect on how unnecessary it is, and how old it makes feel.

Cassy

Yep, this for a small one, bigger ones get bigger words, like #@$% $%#*, or $@# *$ @ $^&@*.

:D

:iagree: Me too. A common one is "son of a fricka frackle speckled pickle!" Or "son of a pretzel stick" (typically because I am trying so hard not to swear, often used when I stumb my toe), for bigger hurts (like when I fell down the stairs and hurt my ankle at my old house) it is more like a big scream followed by a string of obsenities that would make a trucker blush. Fortunately those injuries are rare, not just for the pain the inflict but for the harm to little ears.(come to think of it that is how I handled labour too, lots of screaming followed by cussing)

For really tiny things(like a nick while shaving) I don't really say anything other that a deep inhale through clenched teeth.

I am a vocal person. Everyone will know when I am hurt (a real hurt) whether I intend to be stoic or not. I can't help it.

I say OW, even when I'm by myself. It isn't for the benefit of anyone else, and I don't need sympathy. It's almost like a little release of air, a way to manage pain. If it is a big hurt, there is more air/growling and some muffled %^*$@# going on. :)

:D Yes, exactly. If it really hurts, I'll be more likely to be growling inarticulately than saying ow.

Edited by bonniebeth4

Ow for some reason isn't the first thing I say even when I'm alone. I'm afraid I have a potty mouth so in an attempt not to swear, gibberish or ay ay ay ay comes out of my mouth. I'm working on the mouth, so trying not to even think swear words. Getting creative with shazbot, criminey and fudge bucket. If its major, then swear -- a lot!

I say Ow! as an outward acknowledgement that something doesn't feel just right even if there is no blood. I'm not complaining. I also will say Ow! when I see someone else hurt themselves.

Yes. I actually say ouch even when something almost hurts me, in the period of time between me believing it about to occur and realizing it didn't actually happen. Should I see someone about that? :lol:

I don't carry on like a big ol' baby though. It's just like this...

I think of it as an outward manifestation of an interior situation.

I said for only serious pain. I have a chronic illness so am in pain all the time. I'd lose my voice if I said ow or ouch each time I hurt.

But if I stubbed my toe hard or pierced my thumb with a needle or burned myself badly I'd say something.

I have a grandson who says ow or ouch with every little thing. Bless his heart.

I said other. I say ouch if hubby or kiddo hurts me, even a little. Hubby has "thick skin" and does not know his strength. He needs to know what hurts other people. Ditto kiddo, but his is just inexperience.

Thinking about it, I tend to say it when kiddo is around. Some part of me wants him to know the pan was a bit too warm and I should have used a potholder. This was not a conscious choice, I just think I "live outloud" around my son, as part of demonstrating living to him. I think.