Menu

How do you avoid being a short order cook in the a.m.?

4 kids, all have different tastes. I tried earlier this year to give them the responsibility to get breakfast for themselves. Works fine for some, not for others. dd9 will end up eating nothing unless I have bagels in the house or if I decide to make pancakes.

ds6 I will usually make some eggs for or sometimes he'll eat cereal.

The older 2 like grape nuts.

Gone are the days that I can just make one thing that everyone will eat.

I just don't want breakfast to have to be a big production, but I do want them to get something healthy into their bodies without spending a lot of time in the kitchen.

Okay, I'm rambling here. Breakfast just leaves me feeling so confused every morning! I like systems and can't seem to find a good system for breakfast!

btw, I make myself a super-yummy oatmeal each morning with berries and peanut butter. Wish my kids would just eat that!

4 kids, all have different tastes. I tried earlier this year to give them the responsibility to get breakfast for themselves. Works fine for some, not for others. dd9 will end up eating nothing unless I have bagels in the house or if I decide to make pancakes.

I would make sure the kitchen is stocked with bagels, grape nuts and some kind of cereal. The kids can help themselves to these breakfast items.

If you feel like cooking, cook ONE thing (eggs or pancakes) and give this as additional option. Whoever does not want the cooked food has an opportunity to eat from the cold choices provided.

I don't cook for breakfast at all - we have bread, jam, yoghurt and cereals available, and everybody picks from these choices.

A nine-year-old can make pancakes with some practice and supervision.

My children aren't allowed to do ANYTHING before breakfast. One gets moody because of blood sugar issues. One uses "I'm starving!" as an excuse not to delay anything he doesn't want to do. The littlest will just eat all day so we have to confine his consumption to restricted hours. So, in the morning, they may not play with anything, look at a book, even think about going outside, until breakfast has been consumed.

I very rarely make breakfast. I'm not awake enough. My rule is that they can have anything they want that they can make themselves. I don't keep cereal in the house. If they don't think they can make it themselves, I will supervise and stand ready to help but not do it for them. That last policy has resulted in kids who can cook breakfast. The littlest one is spoiled because his big brothers make pancakes when he asks. They are much nicer morning parents than me.

In my house, having a stock of cut-up fruit and cheese cubes makes breakfast smoother. If I put out fruit, cheese, and hardboiled eggs most of them are happy. We do different types of eggs, different cheeses, and different fruits, but this seems to be a winning combo for us. Eggs are so fast to make and the rest I can do a day or two ahead. Sometimes I bake up a few pounds of bacon so I can just reheat a few pieces for each person each day. This week they'll be seeing the leftover ham for a few days. I'm getting tired of it though, so I may freeze it and haul it out in a few weeks.

Also, I get fewer complaints and discussions if I just call them to a ready-made breakfast than if I ask what everyone wants. Sometimes no choice can really be easier for everyone. Now, I only have two kids, and there are mornings when my daughter eats just fruit and my son eats just eggs, but it works for me.

My kids are much less interested in grains than I am. I could do oatmeal, grits, or cream of wheat more often but I don't usually bother for just myself. Also, I happen to think cheese toast is amazing (especially sharp cheddar on sour dough) but nobody here is impressed with that :glare:

DH and I like to make up a platter with different cheeses, fruits, toast and good, grainy mustard for dipping. Sometimes we add some sliced salami. For some reason, though, we only seem to do it when it's nice enough to have breakfast on the patio.

ETA: I should add that my teen is big enough to cook anything, and my son has physical disabilities. We get started on school MUCH sooner if I jumpstart the mornings with a prepared breakfast. It turns out that a disabled child and a teenager move at the same agonizingly slow pace in the morning. I am NOT a morning person AT ALL, but they take the cake for dragging out breakfast. On the mornings they handle it, we don't get to work until NOON.

Edited by KungFuPanda

I would make sure the kitchen is stocked with bagels, grape nuts and some kind of cereal. The kids can help themselves to these breakfast items.

Yes, this is when the problems start...when I run out of the foods they like and can get on their own...

Which brings me to my next problem:Grocery Shopping! I'm no good at it. I mean fine once I'm there with my list. It's actually making the list and getting me to the store that's the hard part.:tongue_smilie:

I just don't want breakfast to have to be a big production, but I do want them to get something healthy into their bodies without spending a lot of time in the kitchen.

Okay, I'm rambling here. Breakfast just leaves me feeling so confused every morning! I like systems and can't seem to find a good system for breakfast!

btw, I make myself a super-yummy oatmeal each morning with berries and peanut butter. Wish my kids would just eat that!

It sounds like there is just one giving you trouble...the bagel/pancake eater

stock up on bagels when they're on sale. freeze them for the bagel eater and no more skipped breakfasts. Buy frozen pancakes or waffles for him. Or make your own and freeze them in portions for his breakfast. At some point you can experiment and see if he would do peanut butter toast or English muffins

I totally agree with the less complaining if I just serve one thing, no choices. There will always be someone who is unhappy. At dinner I don't give choices...eat what you are served. Why don't I have this thinking with breakfast? Probably because I would rather them get their own breakfast thus avoiding the complaints in the morning. I hate days that start off with conflict!

It sounds like there is just one giving you trouble...the bagel/pancake eater

you are probably right about that. Every morning she asks me to make a sweet breakfast (which we have on special days, but she seems to think they are for everyday...I think we might be dealing with a sugar addiction too) and if I don't make what she wants and we don't have bagels she just won't eat.

I do need to be better about keeping bagels on hand and not allowing them to be eaten as snacks. That's why they disappear so fast. I need to tell the kids they are only for breakfast.

Cereal. I hate cooking in the morning. I keep a variety of cereal that everyone can choose from. I know it's not the healthiest option, but it works for us.

Yes, this just proves that dd9 is the problem...she's the only one who doesn't like cereal! If I can keep cereal and bagels on hand we should be fine.

Funny! As I was typing my last post dd9 said, "Mama will you heat up the cinnamon rolls?". They are leftover from Christmas breakfast. Little Miss Sweettooth is going to get her wish this morning. :tongue_smilie:

We'll start fresh tomorrow. Better make my grocery list.

In my house, I wouldn't let a child eat nothing but carbs for breakfast every morning. I'd do everything I could to get that child to eat some protein (even if it's just yogurt).

I have one child who can be stubborn about the meals I prepare but gives in when she realizes that I really *will not* make her whatever food she wants. She's little, so she still frequently tries to appeal. ;) Nearly without fail, when she finally gives in and eats what I've made, she will eat it all and pronounce it "delicious!", often asking for more. :) I just have to outlast her stubbornness.

I don't serve food my children dislike, but sometimes they'd just rather have something else at that particular meal. I understand, but until they're old enough to cook for themselves, they have to eat what I'm serving.

I have only one that gets a mom-made breakfast in the morning. DS16 has a 6:30am class and is not a morning person - plus he has a medication he needs to take in the morning that makes him sick if he doesn't have food. He prefers savory stuff for breakfast, so is not difficult to feed. It's sort of nice now to sit down with him and have breakfast.

Everyone else here gets their own breakfast: leftovers, bagels and cheese, scrambled eggs and toast.

I cook one thing. People either eat it or they don't. The end. I'm mean like that...

This. As for differing taste, sometimes we have food you like, sometimes we have food I like, sometimes we have food Dad likes, and that's how it comes out "fair", not by making everybody something different every day. Telling me you don't like it once, nicely, is fine--that's information, and helps me with future planning. Going on and on about it is complaining, is not allowed, and will earn you consequences you will not enjoy. If I'm in a good mood I may warn you once before dishing them out. If not...well, you complain at your own risk. Sorry babe. I love you. Eat your breakfast. And I'm mean like that too. I consider it part of the job description.

ETA: I do have one that will sometimes tend to pick at her food (interestingly, it's dd9 here too) and not eat it. I have instituted a rule that she may not leave the table until she's eaten a specific required amount, which I tell her up front. You must eat at least half a pancake and drink all your milk. You need to eat at least two quarter sandwich pieces and ten grapes. At first, of course she gave me the misery and woe routine, but it didn't take very long until she decided I was serious and it was less horrible to choke down the dang scrambled eggs than to sit there for an hour listening to her brother play and not being able to go see what he was doing.

As for groceries, I plan weekly menus for three meals per day and one snack per day and make a list and shop accordingly. I also keep a running list for bulk items I buy at Sam's Club, like pancake mix and make a trip there about once a month. The planning makes a big difference when I stagger out of bed in the morning. It sometimes seems like it's more work to think what to cook than it is just to cook it, and if I have a written out menu I can just look at, and know we have all the ingredients, then I can do the actual cooking mostly on autopilot. I let the kids and dh have input on the menus when I'm making them, and that also helps cut down on the whining. If they know the breakfast they picked out is coming they tend to be more willing to eat something someone else picked out. Also, I don't necessarily assign a menu to a day, I just list seven menus for each meal, and then each day when I look at the list I decide which one I feel like making on that particular day. I try to choose some more involved meals like pancakes with eggs and sausages and intersperse more basic ones like a bagel and smoothie or bowl of cereal. Anyway, YMMV but it works for me. :) Good luck.

Edited by MamaSheep

Yes, this is when the problems start...when I run out of the foods they like and can get on their own...

Which brings me to my next problem:Grocery Shopping! I'm no good at it. I mean fine once I'm there with my list. It's actually making the list and getting me to the store that's the hard part.:tongue_smilie:

Your kids can be in charge of keeping track of their preferred breakfast foods and add them to a shopping list posted on the fridge or some other accessible point as soon as they run low. Or you could make a habit of adding them as permanent staple foods to your weekly list (just as you probably don't ever run out of milk, you could make sure to not run out of bagels by restocking weekly.). Cereal can be stocked up and stored for long periods of time.

I cook one pack of bacon and make a double batch of pancakes on Sunday. We microwave them throughout the week for breakfast. This goes one of two ways:

Option A: Typically my husband is an early riser. He wakes up at 5 am and rambles around. He enjoys putting together a healthy breakfast for the kids. He'll microwave the pancakes and bacon and will add scrambled eggs with cheese, yogurt, some type of cut up fruit and nuts. If he's in a good mood, he'll bring me breakfast in bed. (I am NOT a morning person). Occasionally he'll cook grits or oatmeal.

Option B: My 10 yr old microwaves the bacon and pancakes and will occasionally set out yogurt or fruit or nuts (or all three).

It's very fast and if I don't cook the pancakes/bacon, they are usually okay without them. I try to get them made though. Our oldest will eat the bacon, sometimes the pancakes, always the yogurt and will occasionally try the fruit. Our 10 yr old has Celiac Disease (I cook gluten free pancakes for everyone) and eats all of it. Our youngest has a lot of stomach problems/aches and gets to pick and choose what she'll eat based on how she is feeling.

Along with a PP, we also MUST have breakfast or sugar levels get crazy and people start getting cranky. I try not to short-change breakfast. Lunch and dinner might be short a veggie or starch or something, but breakfast is typically big and healthy.

At 9, if she doesn't have blood sugar issues and is a normal, healthy kid, I'd tell her that school starts at whatever time it starts and anyone who doesn't find a breakfast to eat before then doesn't eat breakfast. If she doesn't eat, then that's her problem. It won't kill her. That's what I do with my kids. In practice, if someone doesn't eat breakfast before school starts and is complaining about it, I offer a bowl of dry cereal to munch on during school work. I say, "You get what you get and you don't pitch a fit," all the time.

I cook one thing. People either eat it or they don't. The end. I'm mean like that...

:iagree: and that goes for any and every meal. Eat it or don't, those are your choices around here.

This. As for differing taste, sometimes we have food you like, sometimes we have food I like, sometimes we have food Dad likes, and that's how it comes out "fair", not by making everybody something different every day. Telling me you don't like it once, nicely, is fine--that's information, and helps me with future planning. Going on and on about it is complaining, is not allowed, and will earn you consequences you will not enjoy. If I'm in a good mood I may warn you once before dishing them out. If not...well, you complain at your own risk. Sorry babe. I love you. Eat your breakfast. And I'm mean like that too. I consider it part of the job description.

:iagree: Actually, with the ages of your kids, I wouldn't be cooking them breakfast most days. Maybe the 6 yr old, but by 6, mine were pretty much taking care of their own breakfast.

I would cook eggs for ds6 and let the rest help themselves to cereal, milk, fruit, cheese, yogurt, etc. Set out the milk, grape nuts, fruit, cereal, bowls and spoons and grab a cup of coffee and relax. They're probably all old enough to handle putting their own food in their own bowls. :001_smile:

This sounds like a very sensible, low stress idea. I like it. We rarely all eat breakfast at the same time, but if all the food is out it doesn't really matter.

dd9 can go a long time without eating...if there is nothing around she likes she'll use the excuse that she's not hungry. But then when she asks for food she always asks for something sweet.

I should probably pay special attention to what goes into her mouth and she if it might be related to how she acts during the day. She gets very angry sometimes (usually at her brothers) and I'm wondering if these things are related.

Some of it is just who she is. Even though we have 4 kids she is the "middle"child.

This sounds like a very sensible, low stress idea. I like it. We rarely all eat breakfast at the same time, but if all the food is out it doesn't really matter.

dd9 can go a long time without eating...if there is nothing around she likes she'll use the excuse that she's not hungry. But then when she asks for food she always asks for something sweet.

I should probably pay special attention to what goes into her mouth and she if it might be related to how she acts during the day. She gets very angry sometimes (usually at her brothers) and I'm wondering if these things are related.

Some of it is just who she is. Even though we have 4 kids she is the "middle"child.

That makes me laugh. My sister who's the middle one of us seven siblings is very much a "youngest". Mom and I were talking about that a while back and decided it must be because she's the youngest GIRL, even though there are three boys younger than she is. The brother just younger than her is almost another "oldest". I'm the other "oldest", even though I'm second, because my older brother was such a free spirit and in trouble all the time that I guess I felt the need to assert some control...lol.

(And food makes a big difference in how my dd acts during the day. BIG difference. It's the main reason for the minimum eating requirement. )

I like us to all eat at the same time because I think it helps us connect as a family at the beginning of the day, we can plan who's driving whom where and when if needed, I can make sure everyone gets their meds (because when you're the warden at the assylum that's part of your job...sigh...) and get it all done and over at once so I can get the dishes done and get on with my day. And speaking of dishes, that's another reason--so I can remind both kids to empty the dishwasher before they go play. But I do "get" that different arrangements work better for other families. I hope you find something that works for you.

I used to do cereal only (I struggle with fatigue, especially in the morning). I started noticing that the kids do better with protein for breakfast, particularly my dd10 (who is my picky eater and has ADD).

It's complicated b/c I have Celiac and another of my kids is also GF. Then another can't have eggs, and my toddler can't have milk. So that counts out oatmeal or regular toast/pancakes, etc.

What I've been doing most mornings is making up eggs and precookrd sausage patties. Everyone but my oldest (dd10) eats the sausage and everyone but my non-egg-eater eats the eggs.

My 6 year old loves yogurt and they all love fruit and cheese so I like that idea too. I'll have to rotate that into our routine. Usually just once a week we do cereal now, and I usually regret it by 10am when everyone is hungry again.

Would your dd9 like smoothies? They are sweet but a little healthier.

Bagels are a starch, which turns to a sugar, doesn't it? So maybe trying a bagel with a bit of protein (peanut or almond butter, melted cheese on a toasted bagel, bagel sandwich w/egg and sausage or cheese...) might be good for her. If she's craving sweets, she's craving carbs, right? If mine have just carbs for breakfast, they get angry or cranky later. (I don't make breakfast unless asked around here.)

stock up on bagels when they're on sale. freeze them for the bagel eater and no more skipped breakfasts. Buy frozen pancakes or waffles for him. Or make your own and freeze them in portions for his breakfast.

This is what I'd suggest. Both our local bagel shops have one day a week where bagels are $3 less per dozen than the rest of the week. The one we like best is Bruegger's; usually they're $8.99/doz, but on Wed. they're $5.99/doz. When I realized that Thomas's bagels from the grocery store is $4 a package of just FIVE, it was a no brainer. And Bruegger's is WORLD'S better than anything I've EVER bought at the grocery store. I get a dozen every Wed, and they're usually gone in five days. I slice them all, then stick them in the fridge. After two or three days, whatever's left gets frozen. Easy peasy. Plus, you can always make up a batch of pancakes/waffles/french toast, and freeze those, too.

I should probably pay special attention to what goes into her mouth and she if it might be related to how she acts during the day.

I used to do cereal only (I struggle with fatigue, especially in the morning). I started noticing that the kids do better with protein for breakfast, particularly my dd10 (who is my picky eater and has ADD).

This is SO true in our house. Both little boys are REQUIRED to have protein frequently, ESPECIALLY at breakfast, and it's absolutely non-negotiable for Zee. If he doesn't get protien at breakfast, I can be certain he'll cry during school work at some point in the morning.

So for your bagel/pancake eater, you may want to strike a deal that she can eat 1/2 bagel, 2 pancakes (or however much), but she has to eat protein FIRST. Give her a list of acceptable choices with serving sizes included. Sets a good tone for the day, at least in our house.

My kids are all old enough to get their own breakfast.

I tell them what I am making for myself. If they are interested, I'll make enough for them also. If not, they can get their own. They have to eat before school starts at 8am. My kids are usually starving so I've never had one eat nothing.

It sounded like the OP was asking for suggestions on how to make breakfast an "on your own" thing, not a mom-made breakfast.

The problem with letting children do their own breakfasts is that "breakfast" can last for an eternity, since they may not all be getting up at the same time, chosen breakfasts can take varying amounts of time to prepare, and clean-up...oy.

My mom-made breakfast was simple: hot cereals (dc couldn't eat cold cereal because of diary issues), maybe scrambled eggs, once in a great while pancakes or french toast, but in general, nothing that required lots of preparation (or clean-up). We all eat, clean the kitchen, get on with life.

Bagels, cold cereal, hot cereals that you just add hot water, fresh fruit, toast, eggs hard-cooked the day before and refrigerated...those would foods that children could "prepare" on their own. I don't believe breakfast needs to be complicated.

I usually prepare one breakfast for myself and the kids, if they don't like it then they have to prepare something nutritious and uncomplicated for themselves. If the dish I'm making is not allergen friendly for my 3 year old then I'll make something else for him, he's the only one I'll do it for because he can't help that he's anaphylactic. So if we're having an egg type breakfast I make him something different, obviously. (we don't have peanut butter in the house at all, but we do use eggs and milk for the rest of us, I am very careful of cross contamination

My kids picked 7 of their favorite breakfasts and I assigned them each to a day of the week. On Monday, I make pancakes, Tuesday yogurt and granola, etc. Everyone knows what to expect for the breakfast and if they don't like it, they probably like tomorrow's breakfast since they did pick their favorites. There is always pbj if someone doesn't like what I cook.

You don't like it? Starve until lunch. No picky eaters in my house. I don't do that.
:iagree: No picky eaters here, either. ;) I heard my 6yod tell her 2yo sister the other day, "Mom doesn't tell you to like it, she tells you to eat it." Another often-repeated line: "You "git" what you "git" and you don't throw a fit."

The problem with letting children do their own breakfasts is that "breakfast" can last for an eternity, since they may not all be getting up at the same time, chosen breakfasts can take varying amounts of time to prepare, and clean-up...oy.

Ugh, yes! We tried this for one week and it was a disaster! The kitchen was never completely cleaned up, food was left out, etc. Meals start for everyone at the same time here so we can all eat together (love that time of chatting!) and clean up together. It's a sanity saver. :D

Yes! When I go into make lunch now the kitchen is still a mess because everyone helped themselves at different times. I have a very small kitchen and can't even start lunch until breakfast is all cleaned up.

I guess the rule should be that if you make it yourself, you also clean it up.

I think these are two separate issues -you could still have them eat whatever they want, but stipulate a time window.

In our house, breakfast is at 7:15 am and gets cleaned away at 7:45am so school can start at 8. They still can choose to eat whatever they want, or choose not to have breakfast, but they are not free to choose when they want to get up and when to start school.

One of my kids came home from school with the "You 'git' what you 'git' and you don't throw a fit" saying, but it ate away at my inner grammar police and rhyme nazi that it had to evolve into "You get what you get and you don't get upset." I know, I'm neurotic.

Pinkalicious. We say that here because it's in the book (and DD loves the book). :)