Menu

help! 3 YO keeps running away from me

DS1 thinks it's great fun to run away from me anywhere and everywhere. He does this in stores when I'm trying to juggle DS2 and open a door and can't hang on to him. He does it in church. He does it on the way to the church parking lot. He does it in the house when I ask him to do something. Did I mention he's very quick & fast? I'm very frustrated and need to think of some way to make this behavior unpleasant for him so he'll stop doing. I should not have to chase him around wherever we happen to be (usually while carrying DS1 and the diaper bag which adds to the fun), and I cannot hold his hand every second.

My oldest was a runner. I had to tackle her, while I was pregnant with DS because she ran away from me in a parking lot and was headed for a busy street. At that point I bought one of those harness things that has a leash on it. I hated to resort to that. But DD hated it more. I only had to use it a couple of times and the running stopped. I would carry it with us, just in case, but I rarely had to use it. Just a thought!:grouphug:

I started using a one shoulder back pack as a diaper bag so that I have both hands free. it really helped a lot. I would also recommend one of the backpack/kiddie leashes to keep him safe. I know a lot of people are against them, but to me safety comes first if you can't always hold his hand.

My almost 5 year old doesn't run away from me, but he gets distracted very easily. I still need to keep him in a stroller because of this when we go to the mall. I can't keep track of him and the other 2. If I have my oldest daughter with me and her son, then that is way too many to keep track of at once. My almost 4 yr old DS actually got lost in the mall last week because I had all 4 of my children with me and my grandson. I had to let my dgs use the stroller because my DD didnt bring his. My 4 yr old got distracted again I'm sure. If it wasn't for his blood-wrenching scream in the middle of the mall, I would had never found him. We have had trouble with him screaming (he does it A LOT). I am always telling him not to scream and to use words instead. I will NEVER tell him that again since that is the only reason I found him. Needless to say, when I found him, the people in the mall on the benches were just sitting there starring at him. :confused:

Since I have the same problem in a different way, I have no advice for you. I just hope you find a solution.

What do you currently do when he runs? If you chase him, he will think it is a game. If you yell his name, he won't know what to do other than to turn and look at you while running. If you say stop, are you sure he knows what you want him to stop doing?

I tell my kids "sit" when they run off. No other words, just sit. They then have to continue sitting for a bit until the entire play element is gone. I have spent many a dull moment in random grocery aisles while waiting for a kid to calm down.

If they are running in a parking lot, there is nothing wrong with chasing and tackling if necessary. Safety first, but honestly, chasing is my last resort.

And fwiw, I would choose the harness over the chase any day, but haven't (yet) had to do so.

Edited by LibertyH

DS1 thinks it's great fun to run away from me anywhere and everywhere. He does this in stores when I'm trying to juggle DS2 and open a door and can't hang on to him. He does it in church. He does it on the way to the church parking lot. He does it in the house when I ask him to do something. Did I mention he's very quick & fast? I'm very frustrated and need to think of some way to make this behavior unpleasant for him so he'll stop doing. I should not have to chase him around wherever we happen to be (usually while carrying DS1 and the diaper bag which adds to the fun), and I cannot hold his hand every second.

What have you tried? For out-and-about situations I would put your 1yo in a carrier (I love the Playtex hip hammock) and keep the diaper bag in your vehicle. Then you are relatively mobile and have both hands free.

I taught my littles from a young age to hold my hand in parking lots. Some of them needed to be held tighter than others. ;) I would put the baby in the carrier and then get the toddler out of the vehicle. The toddler held my hand from vehicle to store. At the store he/she rode on the cart or walked beside the cart with his/hand on the cart. Once they could be trusted to not run, I kept them busy by teaching them to open and hold doors for the rest of us.

Now that I have olders and toddlers, sometimes my toddlers hold the older kids' hands instead of mine.

Do you have him hold your hand at home? When my littles ask me to do something for them, like get a snack, I hold out my hand and we walk together to the kitchen. I try to make holding hands rewarding so they are used to holding hands with me and they enjoy it. My 13mo is just starting to hold my hand when we walk from one room to another.

When I have had to chase them for anything, the chase may be fun (for them) but the aftermath is certainly NOT rewarding!!! The aftermath usually involves a lot of sitting. A lot. Sitting strapped into a car seat with an unhappy mommy. Very, very unpleasant.

I cannot hold his hand every second.

Honestly, you may have to hold his hand every second until he is trained to not run. He has a dangerous habit, and it will take work to untrain him. You may need to have a period of intense hand holding.

The good news is that you can probably train him and your 1yo at the same time. Maybe you can even have your 3yo "help" you teach the 1yo.

Edited by 2squared

People scoff and give you dirty looks but my 15 year old would not be here if I had used a harness. I didn't realize at the time that he had no sense of danger but a harness kept him from getting run over by a car several times when he was small. Autism/impulsive is a dangerous combination. I had to use one with my youngest too but not for a long and I'd do it again.

I'd used a leash. It saved my sanity since I knew where the non-stroller dc were & kept my hands free to do what I needed. I wore a fanny pack at the time & attached my end of the leashes to it. I felt like a NYC dog walker, but we all got to where we were going w/o injury or drama.

As to others opinions, I don't want my dog lost or run-over and I certainly don't want my child lost or run-over!

I think the harness is a good idea to deal with the immediate issue. However, then comes the time of training him about what you want him to do. For example, if you want him to hold onto your shirt tail, he needs to be doing that even though he's on the leash. If you want him to stay within armslength, you need to teach him that.

With my kids, we did "armslength." We practiced and practiced and practiced. It was something I'd call from another room willy nilly even. I did it for a long time because I'd tell other people that is how we'd do it and do it just to show that it was so ingrained that they'd do it years and years later.

I do want to tell you not to YELL at him when he runs. Preschoolers hear yelling (their name, "stop running," etc) as "cheering" such as "go, go, go" rather than than what YOU mean it as. They also don't do "negatives" in the moment so "DON"T RUN!" becomes "RUN!" Pick ONE word commands to tell him what TO DO.

I would give him jobs even if it is more trouble for you. He holds the door open for mommy. He makes sure little brother sits still. He holds the milk (very unlikely he's in charge of a gallon of milk and going anywhere :) ). I would practice safety things. I would set up boundaries and have him practice them. I would teach him to come such as have him hide then call him (ideally using a command rather than just his name) then praise him for doing so. It can be a game. But he needs to learn to come each time and come swiftly. "Stop" or "sit" would be safer in a parking lot though because running back could be just as dangerous as running off.

I would just be VERY proactive. The great thing is that as you're teaching him, you're setting yourself up for success with the little one :)

But I would use the harness in the inbetween. Better safe than sorry.

BTW, I really dislike spanking in this situation. I totally understand the reasoning for it; but seriously, it is YOUR job to keep a three yr old safe. He cannot be expected to keep himself safe. And you will STILL have to proactively teach him and/or use a harness until he can be trusted. But the spanking should be for the person not doing their part and it is the ADULT in these situations who failed to keep the child safe as kids can't possibly understand safety or the consequences. Again, I understand why someone would spank the kid; but you still have to use the better discipline so you may as well go that way instead.

I think there is nothing wrong with harnesses (I suppose someone could abuse them). But in crowds, in dangerous areas - cars, crowds etc, with multiple kids, they are very useful. Usually it is only in that 2 to 3 year old period that people need them. Kids do grow out of the running off phase.

If you don't want to use a harness, then you will have to practice techniques to get the child to stop at your command Every. Single. Time. Practice at home every day. Don't go to the store or anyone until the technique is successful at home. It has be be obeyed every single time, Because if they don't obey, they could run out into traffic.

Have you ever gotten down to his level and looked him strait in the eye and given him a stern "NO! You do not run away from Mommy." and make sure he can repeat back to you what you have said?

A low key "no, no now" won't cut it, or didn't for my kids.

Dawn

I used to think the harnesses were awful, until I babysat a girl who did the exact same thing. She was also 3, and would just take off running wherever we were if I didn't have a good hold on her. Once I had taken her and her two older brothers to the movies, and she ran off in the theatre. It was crowded and I couldn't see where she went. I had to get the theatre staff to help me look for her. They found her in the game room. So embarrassing! GET A HARNESS!

I agree with the harness. When my son was 18 months to about 3 he was a runner. He still has very poor impulse control and at that age it was impossible to get him to understand the importance of not running off. I was hugely pregnant with dd (not to mention old) and running after him was physically impossible, he was FAST. He also hated being strapped into a stroller and there are some places where a stroller is more trouble than its worth. The harness allowed him to work off some energy and explore while still being safe.

Harness & leash. Simple as.

People might mock them and make faces and say rude stuff, but what's more important your feelings or your child's safety?

I'd make him wear it at home too if he can't behave! Until he learns to be more respectful in coming when you call. We had a very active child and if it hadn't been for his Monkey Harness I know he'd have gotten away from us. So, it was the harness of the pram for him at every outing. He didn't have to like it, but that didn't change our position on it.

I haven't had to resort to a harness w/my DS yet, but I might soon! For the immediate danger of him running away, a harness sounds like a good idea.

For later training, one thing that has helped us is to play "Go, go, go, stop!" Basically, whenever we're at the park or in an empty aisle, I tell him "Go, go, go!" and he runs. Then I say "Stop!" and he stops abruptly while giggling like this is the best game ever. If he stops, I grab him and hug and kiss him while saying, "Good stopping!" If he doesn't stop, I catch him and make him sit on my lap on the ground for a minute (which he hates!) and say sternly, "Stop when Mommy says stop!". I make sure we always end with a good stop. This has really cut down on his running away. When we're out and about and he starts to run, saying stop works a lot more often now.

I taught my littles from a young age to hold my hand in parking lots. Some of them needed to be held tighter than others. ;) I would put the baby in the carrier and then get the toddler out of the vehicle. The toddler held my hand from vehicle to store. At the store he/she rode on the cart or walked beside the cart with his/hand on the cart. Once they could be trusted to not run, I kept them busy by teaching them to open and hold doors for the rest of us.

:iagree: This is how we did it. And if they tried to pull away from holding my hand, I would hold their arm. They knew it was their choice (arm or hand) and always chose the hand upon reflection. Be sure to hold the upper arm so to avoid nurse-maid's elbow if they continue trying to pull away.

He knows VERY well that he's not supposed to do it. He just thinks it's great fun. He also knows he's supposed to come when he's called. He doesn't bother with that too much either.

We do have a harness but wearing one in a store doesn't solve the larger problem of him running away wherever he happens to be since this happens multiple times a day at home too. I think the next time he runs away at home I will get the harness out and make him wear it and stay right next to me for a good long time, and after a few dozen times of this (nothing comes easily with this child) maybe he'll decide it's not so much fun to run away after all.

We have a carrier for the baby but it's not as practical in cold weather since I can't comfortably wear it over a winter coat and it's just one more thing to juggle going in and out of a store. I need to get the umbrella stroller out for the library

When I wear a carrier in the winter I put it on under my coat before we leave the house. We drive to our destination. I put the baby in the carrier and wrap my coat around the baby.

If he is running at home I think your plan is a good one. I also like the go, go, go, stop game. Choice of holding Mom's hand or Mom holding child's arm is also something I use.

The thing with using a harness and not doing any training/correcting is that if you forget the harness, or he goes with his father or another adult who doesn't have a harness, then they're all screwed.

There would be a spanking in my 3yo's life if she ran away from me. :glare:

But there would also be training at home, constant, on-going training, so that she would understand that she MUST NOT EVER run away from me, that she must hold my hand or my pantleg or the stroller--something--when we are out, always.

When I wear a carrier in the winter I put it on under my coat before we leave the house. We drive to our destination. I put the baby in the carrier and wrap my coat around the baby.

:iagree: Wearing a carrier in the winter is extra work, but it was worth it for me to have my hands free for toddler wrangling.

Whenever I go out with my crew, I always have a plan for how to navigate our errand. Every.single.step. I like to park next to a cart return so I can put bodies into the cart to get into the store. If we are going to the library, I use a carrier to & from the van. All the kids enter & exit from the same van door. The little steps are critical. If I can keep them within an arm's length, they rarely escape.

At home I use bribes to teach them to come when I call. An m&m can work miracles!

Sounds like a discipline issue to me. Are you using the corner at home successfully? If not you need to be consistent every time he doesn't listen to you, starting at home. If you can get him to stay in the corner at home and he knows you mean business, he will be more likely to "stay" when you are out and about.

Rules for the corner:

1. When you put him there he WILL get up right away. Put him back however, many times it takes. Even if it means 50+ times.

2. Do NOT hold him in the corner.

3. NO talking to him, once you have told him why he is being put there, in a firm voice.

4. NO eye contact.

5. No matter how much he screams, says things you want to respond to, gets up,ect... DO NOT break these rules.

Also start practicing at home, make it a game having him stop when you say "stop".

ETA: You know you are doing the corner right, when you can finally just tell him to go sit in the corner, and he does. He needs training not just restraining. When out and about, tell him what you expect before getting out of the car.

Edited by coralloyd

Harness! Another technique that I used with my little runner was to leave the place we were in if she ran. The library was one of her favorite spots to run away, but after we left without our books twice, she learned. Same with the grocery store. If running=going right home, that really helps.

We start teaching "come to mommy" from a very very early age, basically as soon as they can crawl. Literally, I am working on this with my 1 year old right now though he's already very good about it. As a nanny I watched a little boy who fell into the pool because he ran away from us 2 adults watching him (myself and my MIL). He was fine, we were right there, but it was horrifying and I decided then and there I would make sure my children never ran from me. And they don't. It's a safety issue, all kids must learn this if they are to have the freedom to not be kept on a leash or strapped in a cart/stroller like an infant. At the mall 90% of the 3-4 year olds I see are in strollers, and that's fine if it's necessary while they're being taught, but I love that my 3 year old can have the independence to walk freely and look at things, touch things, etc. He's earned that freedom and he enjoys it.

Starting brand new with a 3 year old I'd start at home and practice coming to mommy. Just cheerfully say "____ come to mommy" and if he doesn't come then go get him and bring him to you for hug/kisses/tickles. When they come by themselves I always toss them in the air and tickle them and kiss them to show they want to come to mommy because it's usually for something good. Sometimes I might have a treat in my hand, other times I'm just going to give an instruction. But we practice at home a lot, then outside. Then you go to the store *completely willing to LEAVE* and practice coming to mommy.

We also have a strict rule about hand-holding. If you will not hold an adult's hand you will need be strapped in the cart or held like a baby for the rest of the shopping trip. I don't care if they kick or scream even, this rule is set in stone for our family. And my 3.5 year old almost never gives us this problem. Maybe twice a year does he not come when called ever since he was 1.

Now we're moving on to more advanced training stuff in that my 3.5 year old doesn't need to hold our hand, he's really that trustworthy. So he's learning guidelines. Like when i get his little brother in/out of the car he is to stand on the white/yellow line and that way I know he's safe. Another option is to have them touch the car but my wiggly boy does better with staying on the line as he can hop in place as much as he wants, lol! In the mall we walk around and practice green light/red light and just staying near mommy. If he gets too far I call him back. But all of this is only after they have a good record of obedience in coming when called in the first place, and never ever running away.

I have a friend who chases her 2 year old and acts relieved when she catches her, "Whoo! I caught her! Wow, she's quick! I need a leash!"

If I had to catch my child it would be unpleasant. My child will not be smiling and jolly.

When I occasionally babysit the 2 year old, I make her hold onto my baby's stroller as we walk. If she lets go, I hold her arm. When we are at my house I call her once, then I lead her back to where I called her from and make her sit down. With a frown on my face I tell her not to run away from me. She has to stay sitting down for a few minutes. She dislikes that very much - which is the point.

ETA: Great PP. I do something similar, and my children come when they are called, and stay close to me when appropriate. Even my 1.5 year old does.

Edited by Caribbean Queen

First of all, I had a runner. He was very comfortable being a decent distance away from me. He is still (at 11) one who will go through the doors and go off on an adventure w/o thinking about anyone else for a bit. Drives me nuts.

Anyway, as I didn't use a leash/harness I have no comment on that front. I never once thought to use one. I think I found them too gross to consider.:tongue_smilie:If I had, maybe I would have fewer grey hairs.

I used to have that one IN THE STROLLER whenever possible. I also got my older one to understand early on that he could not be a spazz in public (as far as running goes) as his brother was a handful.

Something interesting to try, but I wouldn't suggest anyone do it unless it made sense to them... go to a place that is safe, and has a really large area. See how far the kid runs away from you before turning around. This might give you an idea of their distance/time parameters and if it is just a game to the kid. I was at a giant park and my friend and I sat down with our kids and said... "Let's see how far he goes before he even notices." It was pretty far. It was really hard... once he turned around and saw how far he really was, he came back immediately. This can be tricky though, because there is the chance you would have to go after them anyway to close the gap. A modification of this idea would be to go to a bouncehouse/play area type place and let them run around and DO NOT follow him. Let him get it out of his system. Only give him positive attention when he comes back.

Or, you could leave that one at home every time you go out...explaining that they can't go because they don't no how to follow the safety rules.

There are a myriad of ways to address this, but if he is a "real" runner (inner motivation, not reaction to you and siblings) they will always be a bit like this and you need to get used to it, to a certain extent. Mine still runs ahead to wherever we are going, and I no longer panic. He will always be waiting in a logical spot where we were going, and he is always safe about it. HOWEVER, he does know when to stick with me the whole time... sometimes I need to say something, but in a crowded or unfamiliar place, he's good.

Good luck! and Merry Christmas!

Edited by radiobrain

The thing with using a harness and not doing any training/correcting is that if you forget the harness, or he goes with his father or another adult who doesn't have a harness, then they're all screwed.

There would be a spanking in my 3yo's life if she ran away from me. :glare:

But there would also be training at home, constant, on-going training, so that she would understand that she MUST NOT EVER run away from me, that she must hold my hand or my pantleg or the stroller--something--when we are out, always.

He won't do it with DH. He knows better! And I agree that the harness alone won't address the underlying issue. He is an extremely difficult child and I have a hard time constantly watching him (because he's completely untrustworthy) when I'm almost always exhausted due to 14+ months of severe sleep deprivation, plus have two other children and household duties to manage. It would have made so much more sense if he had been the first and then I might actually have had the time and energy to do the training he needs. But then he'd probably have been an only child because I would have been too traumatized by him to dare have another!

Spanking doesn't work well for many things with him. It also doesn't help when he runs away in the store, because I don't spank in public and by the time we drive 20 minutes to get home, it sort of spoils the effectiveness (assuming it was going to be effective in the first place, and it hasn't helped with the running away at home).

There are a myriad of ways to address this, but if he is a "real" runner (inner motivation, not reaction to you and siblings) they will always be a bit like this and you need to get used to it, to a certain extent. Mine still runs ahead to wherever we are going, and I no longer panic. He will always be waiting in a logical spot where we were going, and he is always safe about it. HOWEVER, he does know when to stick with me the whole time... sometimes I need to say something, but in a crowded or unfamiliar place, he's good.

Mine definitely does it because he can get away with it, not because he's spacey or whatever. And he's not really comfortable very far from me. He ran away in the Christian bookstore the other day and I so wanted to walk out the door and scare him a bit (he was watching me from 20 feet away). I would have too if there wasn't a ton of breakable stuff in that store as well as an entrance to the mall 50 feet away from him.

The only carriers I can comfortably use are soft structured carriers (like an Ergo or Beco) and there's really no way to put the baby in while wearing the coat.

My very first memory was running in place in anklets and Mary Janes, madly trying to get to the gumball machine in Sears. I was in a pink harness, and my mother was blandly reviewing dresses while I pumped my arms and legs on that slippery floor.
:lol: Love this!

My 2 year old is like this. He's super fast and, given a chance, will run until someone stops him. We call him Forrest Gump. :tongue_smilie:

We use a little soft backpack harness, shaped like a dog, with a leash. My older kids like to "walk the dog".

I have a runner too. He is 3. Have no idea really how to stop it. I use a harness off and on. I ended up making one because his toddler one doesn't fit over a coat. We don't use strollers they are not very practical around here and I generally don't like them.

I just try my hardest to avoid going out with him unless I really have to and keep hold of his hand or use the harness when we have to. I just can't get it through to him not to run. He doesn't think, just runs. I am just holding out for the time he grows out of it. I have noticed he is a bit calmer the last couple of weeks so he may be maturing a little.

He won't do it with DH. He knows better!

It would have made so much more sense if he had been the first and then I might actually have had the time and energy to do the training he needs.

You won't save yourself any time and energy by not training him. Ask me how I know. :glare:

Maybe Dad can give you some hints on what to do.

My son would be quite comfortable being miles and miles away from me and has been like that from a young age. He is the most social, not shy kid I have ever met in my entire life. He will talk to anyone, adult or child and would not have a problem staying with someone without dh or I the first time he met them. When he was little and dd was just born, I would NOT go anywhere by myself unless I absolutely had to.

We used a harness for him but we also did training. The harness was to keep him from getting seriously hurt when we had to be out in public and I couldn't trust him to stay close. Even now I remind both kids not to run ahead as we are getting out of the car, as we are leaving anyplace to get in the car and I still sometimes have to grab hoods. They are pretty good in stores and do come back right away when I call now but in parking lots I don't like them to get even a couple steps away from me (people around here drive like lunatics).

If you have stroller space for him, you could tell him if he runs away he will have to sit in the stroller the rest of the shopping trip. That worked for my kids. It was a natural consequence. I purposely continued to take my double stroller everywhere when my kids were younger, because I wanted to let them know there was a seat waiting for them if they decided to run from me. They hated to lose their freedom and learned very quickly not to run. Maybe you could take a few test runs with him and you alone? In the grocery store, I would make my kids hold onto the cart. If they let go, they had to sit in the cart.

Good luck. I hope you figure out something.

:lol: Love this!

My 2 year old is like this. He's super fast and, given a chance, will run until someone stops him. We call him Forrest Gump. :tongue_smilie:

We use a little soft backpack harness, shaped like a dog, with a leash. My older kids like to "walk the dog".

In my family older sibs were assigned toddler duty, but only the willing. My sister and one brother were the stand by toddler-wranglers.

My third child was a runner, too, and very fast. Fortunately, his big brother is four years older, also very fast, and could catch him when necessary. We also used a backpack on him with a leash clipped to my belt loop when his daddy or big brother wasn't around.

DS was one that spanking didn't really work with. But the running away was something he eventually grew out of - we just had to survive it. Sounds like that's the place you are in.