Menu

Pros/Cons on Top loader/Front loader washers?

I hated my LG front loader, I had it 5 years (bought in April 2004 and was glad when it died in early 2009) The thing had to be repaired more than once a year on average, it was one of the first models and they didn't warn you about mold that could grow in between the drums, I had to have that taken care of once and it was NASTY.

I've had a Fisher Paykel Ecosmart top loader since then and LOVE it. I don't have to use special detergent (I can use HE or not, doesn't matter) The clothes get just as clean with only 1oz of detergent, and my water and electric bill have not changed compared to when we had the LG. It also spins the clothes just as well. I have a matching top Load dryer (yep it loads on top just like the washer) and love that just as much. I have taken my new washer apart to check for mold growth and that thing is just as clean as the day I bought it. It also has no transmission which is the part that finally died on the LG. It's direct drive, which makes me feel better.

I love my front loader - I can wash DOWN in it and it comes out like new.

it is much gentler on delicates all around. it uses less water, and clothes last longer because they aren't being agitated.

You do need to leave the door open so it dries out. I use oxyclean in several cycles (towels especially) - so I don't have the mildew smell develop.

I got what Consumer reports had highly rated that year (don't remember when, it's been at least four or five years. hmm, maybe six?). I really like it.

I don't know about that one, but I love my LG Top loader and dryer. They are absolutely positively ginormous! And they had good ratings on Consumer Reports this summer (very near the top, I think). You might want to consider getting a 1 month subscription to Consumer Reports online before you buy.

I just posted this in another thread. We replaced our Frigidaire 6 year old front loader with an LG top loader this supper, and I love it.

I hate front loading machines. I couldn't wait to get rid of mine. The ring smells and even Clorox didn't make that smell go away.

I have two friends who had problems with theirs. They called someone for service, and they both were told the front loading machines definitely break down more.

I will be sticking with the top loaders myself.:001_smile:

I posted last week on FB that I hate front-loaders. Even with running bleach in it once in a while and leaving the door open all the time (which is annoying), I still had to attack it with a toothbrush to remove gray slime from the groove in the boot (who designed that thing???) and inbetween the boot and the drum. Then, I had to rewash ALL the towels in the house. It is crazy.

I hate, hate getting out of the shower naked and dripping and putting my face into a musty towel. And many times you can't tell if the towel will be musty until it gets wet. It's really perverse. And it doesn't help that I am allergic to mold and mildew.

Next time I have to buy a washer, I will go back to top loader.

I've had my front loader (Kenmore he) for 10 years... during those 10 years, we replaced the ring once, replaced the pump once, and unclogged the hose (baby socks) twice.

My mother hasn't had a top loader last 10 years in the last 20. She is now using my old front loader, and I am using a 10yr. newer model... which I love just as much as my old one.

No operating problems, but I agree with everyone else who complains about the musty smell or having to leave the door open. I would really love to close that door! To do it again, i would consider the top loader that works like a front loader, one that doesn't have the center agitator, so capacity is large. Wanted to love them, but reality is that they are just ok.

I had a Frigidaire front loader. The spider arm that the drum set in cracked, spewing oil all over my clothes after maybe 6 years of use. The part was $200 plus several hours worth of labor.

We have since had a top loader off craigslist as I was mad about the whole deal.

When it died we got a top loader with no agitator by Kenmorre so far I like it. Of course once I start cloth diapering again who knows.

I had a Maytag front loader and it was fine except for the mildew and cost of repair once. I now have a Fisher and Paykel top loader and LOVE IT. We got ours at Lowes. It has all the water/energy efficiency and huge load capacity of a front loader for about half the price. Mechanically, it's pretty simple, too. I mean, the tub once got dislocated because ds put in an overstuffed load of heavy jeans. Dh took off the side panel and had it fixed in about 10 minutes.

We also have the dryer, which I also love.

I believe they are manufactured in New Zealand.

When we visit DH's parents I have to use their front loaders. They are expensive - I am so NOT impressed ! They don't use enough water to clean anything that is actually dirty in the first place. And they take forever to produce a clean dry load of clothing !!! A shirt went into the washer with peanut butter on the sleeve. Almost an hour later, on the most heavy duty cycle, with hot water, it came out - peanut butter still on the sleeve !!!! Amazingly ineffective. Anything that is actually dirty I have to handwash before laundering ! That's just the washer. Don't even get me started on the dryer....it takes all freaking afternoon.

I will take my cheap top loading water hogging high agitation bouncy creaky spring washer and my fast hot gas dryer any day !!! Because I can crank through an amazing quantity of laundry in two hours and it comes out clean !

Look, all the washers do is dampen your clothes with a little slightly soapy water and then roll them around over each other for a loooooong time. Then they spin that out and dampen them with some non soapy water and then spin that out. There is not enough water involved to actually carry any serious amounts of dirt away. No wonder they don't work.

BTW I love my agitator and I use it on high and it does not wear out our clothes. DH and I both have clothes that are over 5 years old and not worn out. Our towels are all over 5 years old and are washed frequently and are not at all worn out. IMO harsh detergent wears out clothing more than agitation does.

Maybe I just have such strong feelings because I have two boys who get their clothes seriously dirty - food, paint, mud, and sometimes pee. I am also washing floor towels that the dogs get all muddy, kitchen rags that we use instead of paper towels and are sometimes really filthy, and the clothes DH wears to work on the cars. Yucky stuff. And I used to wash cloth diapers with some gross poop messes on them. I just do not have time for a washer that is slow and so ineffective that it has to be run multiple times to clean anything that was really dirty to begin with. It is far more efficient for me to put dirty stuff into a bucket of hot soapy water, agitate it myself, wring it, rinse it under running water, and wring it again...all by hand...than for anything really dirty to have to go through a front loader 3-5 times. My top loader is a large, automated bucket and spoon. It works.

Edited by laundrycrisis

I just wanted to add that my new Kenmore... the boot is made completely different. I don't know if it will help... also it has a "clean" cycle, and new recommendations which weren't on my old one (first edition).

It's still too new to tell much, but we didn't have lots of mold/musty problems with my old one (unless I left clothes in it too long from May until September.)

Here is the thing about front loaders for me:

They are much better at getting the soap and water out as they spin way faster

You can't stuff them because then the clothes will not get clean

The mold and mildew has never been a problem for me since I wipe out the ring thoroughly and leave the door open when I am done washing for the day

I feel like they are a bit rougher on clothes because the clothes rub against each other without the water to buffer it

You HAVE to close zippers on pants or you will snag knits and put holes in tee shirts

Less is more when it comes to detergent and fabric softener

Can't stand my front loader. The smell others have mentioned, plus, the clothes seem to come out more wrinkled and wadded up than with my top loader. I have to shake everything out before putting it in the dryer.

This makes a difference to me because I don't iron. If hubby takes the clothes straight from the washer to dryer without shaking them out, even the dryer doesn't get the wrinkles out. This rarely happened with my top loader, only when I overloaded it.

I love my front loader. I have two boys who can get quite messy with paint and grass stains etc and I have never had a problem. It all comes out very clean.

Well, I have to say that it is my husband who loves it because he is the one who does the laundry. And yes, he does shake some stuff out if he is wanting to minimize wrinkles. That is due to the fast spin. It makes stuff practically dry when they come out of the machine.

We haven't noticed any problem with mold or mildew and that is something we monitor. I have a particularly nasty allergy to molds and mildews. That said, I am pretty sure he always leaves the door open to let it dry.

Our water bill is low compared to the neighbors and I am pretty sure that is due to the front loader. Our families are the same size but they use twice the water we use.

I have a Whirlpool Duet; we've had it about 3-4 years, and I really like it. It has a much bigger capacity than my (supposedly heavy duty) top loader; it cleans well, spins out a lot of water so that clothes dry faster, and we've never had a problem with smell. In all the time that we've had it, I've only run the "clean washer" cycle ONCE, even though the manufacturer suggests cleaning it once a month. I do, however, regularly use Clorox and hot water when I wash whites, and I use OxyClean and hot water when I wash towels, so maybe these things have helped to keep it from stinking?? I also leave the door ajar when the washer is not in use, so mildew doesn't have a chance to grow in there.

As for what I DON'T like about my front loader: the only thing I can think of is that I do miss being able to submerge certain items in water in order to soak them--tennis shoes, for example. Other than that, though, I've been really pleased with my washer (and matching dryer).

Edited by ereks mom

Hated mine. We had a Frigidaire for 5-6 years, dh fixed something on it a couple times a year typically, normally an electronic part.(I'm so glad he is handy that way!) When we gave up fixing it my dd's bf gave us an old washer his parents had (it was extra, they have everything:tongue_smilie:). After a couple weeks dh said he thought our clothes were getting cleaner and I had already thought so as well. It was 15-20 years old I guess but it was free and lasted about 18 months, now I have a similar model my dh got from a friend for $50. I told my dh all I wanted was to be able to chose temp and wash size, I want zero fancy features, the less electronics the better, I just need a work horse.:) I'm hesitant to buy any new washer, but I wouldn't get another front loader for sure!

We had a Kitchenaid front loader that worked great at first, but then, after 10 years, became moldy.

We just replaced it with an LG set that seems amazing. I've been very happy with it. The dryer is faster than the washer, which is unheard of in my world. I actually saved the old dryer to use in garage, so laundry would go faster, but I haven't needed to hook it up, yet.

Our Frigidaire front loader just died. DH said he could order a part to fix it for $100, but I insisted on a new top loader. I HATED the front loader. There was not enough water to get things clean and rinsed properly. I washed cloth diapers in it for 3 years and had to do 4 or 5 extra rinses to get all the soap out. (HE soap, the amount recommended)

I always left the door open, along with the soap dispenser, but it still got mildewy all the time and smelly. It was a nightmare to keep clean around the door.

We just bought a new LG top loader, the same one someone on pg 1 gave a link for. I LOVE it! It leaves the clothes so clean, not to mention the capacity is huge. I washed a queen size comforter last night and it took less than half the tub. I'll never buy another front loader.

For those that say they don't have mold because they leave the door open, that may not be true. The mold doesn't just grow in the gasket, it grows between the inner and outer drums and unless you take that baby apart you're not going to see that. That can be the reason behind musty smelling clothes or towels (especially when the towels get wet again)

The perennial battle over mold in front loaders. Before I bought mine I did a lot of reading and finally concluded the keys are using powdered (NOT liquid) detergent and buying a machine with a sanitize cycle. Many of the early models didn't have onboard heaters or the heater was optional, so you have people who can't run hot water to get them clean. And the liquid detergent has extra ingredients that feed the mold (non-technical explanation, something about a biofilm). Yes you should also leave the door open. It's good to clean the boot with 409 occasionally. But to me, I don't even understand why they're still selling liquid detergents for this if that's the culprit. The water heater part they fixed, as I doubt you can buy a machine without at this point.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy one. We LOVE ours. Washes 1 1/2-2 times what our old did, is gentler, uses just a dab of detergent, and has so many cool features. The detergent we use is called Charlie's Laundry Soap. Check the boards, as it gets mentioned.

Dislike my front loader. Got it during a drought. It *is* good at using less water. When we had a top loader, every once in a while something would get caught on the agitator and rip. That doesn't happen. Those are the two good points I can think of.

A front loader takes an hour or more per load. With 4 boys in the house, it's hard for everyone to get their laundry done. With a front loader, adding bleach is tricky because there is not enough water in there to dilute it, so you can't use a tiny bit of bleach to freshen up towels, for instance (dh tried doing what we'd always done in our top-loader and ruined a whole load of towels) and even with whites, I've found I need to dilute the bleach before adding it or it still ends up hitting the clothes in too great a concentration in places. The worst thing as everyone has mentioned is the mildew in the washer itself. You have to dry the ring each time and leave the door open. Forget it once, and it's all over. I really HATE the thing.

I have a 6 year old LG front loader that I hate with a passion. I can't even tell you the amount of time I have spent taking the thing apart. We have gone through 2 door seals -one molded so bad it had to be replaced, the 2nd I tried cleaning with a cleaner which caused it to shrink and start leaking, the current seal is horribly molded even though I dry it out after I'm done with laundry for the day and keep the door open at all times) , a couple of sensors, a water valve which leaked and rusted out the magnetic drive enough that it had to be replaced, it now throws random errors which I have read is a sign that the electronics are about to go out (WOO!)

I will not buy another front loader!

I hate my front loader (Samsung- not the brand's fault- love Samsung).

Florida humidity + a front loader = So MUCH mold. I hate it.

If we could afford it, I would buy a new one and we bought this one in January 2011- it is THAT bad. It makes me want to cry, honestly- I hate hate hate having moldy awful towels that smell like a**.

I just bought some Charlie's soap to use with bleach to see if that will help- I've tried every other suggestion. I'm so over it. And I pull out strings of nasty goop between loads. And yes, I keep the door open.

My washing machine should not require this much "care" to keep it going. My previous top-loaders (even my horrible $40 Chinese one when we lived in China) were pretty much just throw detergent and clothes in and don't think about it. This one I'm constantly cleaning, worrying if the door is open, etc... and I still get moldy gross clothes and towels. YUCK.

The end.

I hate mine now, too. It's eight years old, and I didn't realize about the mold. No wonder everything smells. I even went to look around it, and I can see the mold. :ack2:

DH was surprised when I told him about the things you ladies said. He isn't here to look at the washer but still. He says to just leave the door open, but the mold is already there. :glare:

I don't think he wants to worry about buying a new one until the old one goes out (though if the laundry room in the house we buy is large enough we'll buy another washer so that we can use two) and especially not prior to moving and dealing with all this. In the meantime I will have to be content with being grossed-out, yuck! :toetap05:

:bigear:

I am so grateful for the hive. My 18-year-old top loader just died. I never had to clean or service it in all that time and it worked well until it just quit. (Luckily we had just moved into a temporary apartment because of home construction.)

I THOUGHT I wanted a front loader, but I have learned from The Hive that it would be a disaster for me because:

I'm used to clothes getting clean in 40 minutes

I'm not going to start zipping everything

Sweaty judo gis NEED to soak before washing

My nose is too sensitive to cope with mold

I'm not about to CLEAN my washing machine

Ugh. What DO I buy? Can you still get machines with dials to turn instead of electronic controls? Is it too much to ask to get another machine that's trouble-free for 18 years???

My 10 yo top loader recently broke, and I started researching front loaders. I ended up buying a new $50 part & fixing my old washer myself.

One issue about front loaders I didn't see mentioned here is that they are a little bit deeper than the top loaders. The 2 or 3 extra inches would have been a tight fit in my laundry room because of the way my door opens. Just make sure you have enough room if you're switching from a top to a front loader.

And as another poster mentioned, it takes about an hour for a load. I'll stick with my 30-minute wash in my top loader.

Also, I was really surprised to hear complaints on here that the front loaders don't wash as well. The (non-commission) salespeople I talked to expressed how much better the front loaders wash. Live & learn!

While you all are having the discussion, you should be including the tiny holes in shirts that happen with top loaders

:auto:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309479&highlight=holes+in+laundry

I had a front loader all shiny and new. Then we had moldy sweatshirts, sweaters, blankets and towels. Anything that was thick. I decided to investigate and took our washer as apart as a housewife with no gadget training could. OH MY WORD. The black mold I found hiding in the dryer was so gross. I stopped using it that day.

We went out and bought a top loader and ended up with the holes in the shirts.

Now today, I kid you not, I am going to best buy to purchase a new dryer! because the mold has moved into the cracks of the dryer. Those little plastic pieces that stick up in the drum to make the clothes tumble. Mold under there.

Grrrrrrr.

No front loaders ever ever ever.

We went looking at washer/dryer today and well I didn't buy one b/c I still can't decide. I want to be able to wash in 30 mins. I want to be able to wash/dry my king size comforter. I want to dry fast too.

*sigh*

I love the top loader with the see through door. BUT Im wondering how well it cleans with no agitator.

I love my front loader - I can wash DOWN in it and it comes out like new.

it is much gentler on delicates all around. it uses less water, and clothes last longer because they aren't being agitated.

You do need to leave the door open so it dries out. I use oxyclean in several cycles (towels especially) - so I don't have the mildew smell develop.

I got what Consumer reports had highly rated that year (don't remember when, it's been at least four or five years. hmm, maybe six?). I really like it.

:iagree: to all of this. I use white vinegar instead of softener, and I mix powdered 7th Gen detergent half and half with oxyclean and use very little and everything is great. I do spray Shout on food spills.

I am finding some reviews of high efficiency top loaders and front loaders that also mention holes in things since getting the machine.

http://www.hhgregg.com/lg-3-7-cu-ft-high-efficiency-top-load-washer/item/WT4801CW#tab4

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Maytag_MTW6600TQ/sec_~opinion_list/pp_~1/pa_~1

http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/60045507.aspx

I'll stick with my old-fashioned agitator.

Yes, we've had a few holes. But it hasn't been so many as to deter me from using my machine. We're talking 2 holes in 4 years. And honestly, I think a lot of it is when people put pants in without closing the zippers, etc. There's nothing in the machine itself to make holes.

Bingo, that's why I take comments on these washers with a big grain of salt. If they didn't zip the zippers (which my dh doesn't) and clothes got holes, well duh... And if they don't have an onboard heater (because many models were sold without them) and they can't run sanitizing cycles to get it clean and they're using liquid products that leave a biofilm to feed the mold, then it's not shocking the mold happens. Gotta know the context.

I still have my old agitator (high water use) washer as well and have no beef at them. Glad you're happy with yours. :)

Bingo, that's why I take comments on these washers with a big grain of salt. If they didn't zip the zippers (which my dh doesn't) and clothes got holes, well duh... And if they don't have an onboard heater (because many models were sold without them) and they can't run sanitizing cycles to get it clean and they're using liquid products that leave a biofilm to feed the mold, then it's not shocking the mold happens. Gotta know the context.

I still have my old agitator (high water use) washer as well and have no beef at them. Glad you're happy with yours. :)

how often do you need to run the sani cycle?

I have a 6yo Frigidair front loader--not the big one, but the slightly smaller one that can be stacked with the dryer. It was Consumers' Union's best buy the year I bought it.

I've never had any problems with it at all, not even smelly innards. :) I don't leave the door open, I don't wash around the door, nothin'. Now, I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not, but I use only Amway laundry products, which supposedly clean the washer along with the clothes. I dunno. I just know I have never had any problems.

I also don't zip/close zippers, and have never had problems with that, either. In fact, in 37 years of marriage and laundry, I don't think I've ever found holes in any clothing. :001_huh:

I'm happy with my machine. I would buy it again.

how often do you need to run the sani cycle?

On my Whirlpool they want you to run the clean washer cycle once a month. It even has a reminder light/button, so you don't forget. I ran it last night as a matter of fact. It really is not a big deal. But it is true I have *never* let regular detergent or fabric softener go in the machine. I don't think changing to something like Charlie's after you've already built up a biofilm (to feed the mold) from other detergents is adequate. I used Charlie's from day one. There are also some concoctions and products I've read about online for cleaning it. So I'm not denying mold happens. I'm just saying there are things you can do to prevent it. So far, we're doing ok.