Menu

So...who else has NO money for the holidays?

Posting this for anyone else who wants to commiserate about financial issues.

I have no idea how we are going to buy Christmas presents this year. We've had some unexpected medical bills for DH, including a very expensive ER trip, and we are completely broke. I have a few things I'm going to try to eBay this week, but I don't expect to make a lot of money (wow the fees have really gone up!). I'm not worried about our kids being deprived of presents, as their grandparents on both sides buy them plenty of things, but of course we would like to get them something. And Santa brings them something every year (our 6 yr old still believes).

So, I am focusing on doing fun, cheap things in December. We'll be making our annual gingerbread house from scratch, along with baking cookies with my mom. I just found out that our local movie theater is showing Christmas movies for free if you bring a can of food. The public library has free Christmas craft days. We'll decorate the house while we listen to Christmas episodes of old radio shows, and drive around and look at Christmas lights.

Is anybody else in the same boat? It would be great to hear other frugal ways to celebrate (or homemade gift ideas). :001_smile:

I have very little money this year for the holidays. I've made crafts that I'm selling at craft fairs, so whatever I make there is what I have to spend. So far, it's not much. It's going to be a lean holiday year, but I'm okay with it. All of our basic needs are met. We just won't have any extras for a while. I don't think we can really ask for more than that these days. I'm not so upset about the holidays, but the stress of the potential for the other shoe to drop and things to get worse so that we cannot afford even the basics- that is getting to me.

We are spending less than 1/2 of what we usually spend just because of stuff we had to fix around the house. Roof damage from storm that insurance didn't cover, fridge quit and dishwasher quit within the span of 3 months. sigh! So we have less this year than ever before. All the money we had saved for Christmas had to go to these last minute repairs on the roof and buying a new fridge and dishwasher.

Kids are ok that they will get less this year. Hubby just told me last night it may even be much less than we thought. :glare: Both of us are giving up gift buying for each other and let the kids have some items on their wish list. The kids did mention that maybe wait to have their gifts in January or February. LOL!

Holly

:grouphug:

We have been there, and still remain there for now. My dh just got a new job and we are moving in a few days. We get a new home for Christmas. We won't have extra $ for plastic toys, but grandparents indulge them anyway. Next year will be better, hopefully.

I will get them something to make the day special, but it won't be $ toys.

If you are crafty, could you do felt food for your youngest? Joanns usually has their polyester felt at a really low price (~$2 for a tall yard w/ coupons), and you don't need much to make a loaf of bread or crackers or sandwich fillings. A single beige yard would make a package of Saltines, a bowl of bowtie pasta, and the white part of a loaf of bread. You'd need some darker beige for the crust, but that could just be a tiny scrap. Felt food is really cute and can be made inexpensively!

When we were first married yrs ago we had a leaner than normal yr, so I worked for a month third shift at the area mail sorting facility to help with all of the Christmas mail. I ended up making quite a lot of money and since it was only seasonal, I could swing it without collapsing.

When we were first married yrs ago we had a leaner than normal yr, so I worked for a month third shift at the area mail sorting facility to help with all of the Christmas mail. I ended up making quite a lot of money and since it was only seasonal, I could swing it without collapsing.

Yes, I've done the same. I've found a way to find a temp job, watch a few kids when their normal home daycare provider was out of town for a couple of weeks, taken seasonal work in the evenings, pick up extra hours at work the years that I've already had a job, etc. If push came to shove I wouldn't be opposed to rolling up my sleeve at the plasma bank. Somehow we always manage to find a way to make it work.

I'm sorry you're having a tough year.

When we were at our most broke for a couple of Christmases, I made a lot of gifts for our kids out of supplies I had on hand or could obtain super cheaply.

I made dress-up costume stuff (including "sacrificing" old sheets for fabric when necessary), hand puppets, pajamas, crocheted blankets for their rooms, doll clothes, personalized coloring books made up of clip art I found free online, etc. We filled stockings with inexpensive stuff from drug stores and dollar stores (little pads of paper in their favorite colors, for example) and fudge and cookies I made after they went to bed.

It was tiring for me, but I'm pretty sure the kids barely noticed the difference.

Does your 14 year old like funky accesories? My daughter (a little older) loves crocheted hats and bags and stuff like that, which don't require a lot of materials or time to make. There are lots of free sites online for patterns and instructions.

The six year old should be relatively easy to do something for. As someone else mentioned, play food might be fun, or clothes or accesories for a favorite doll?

What kinds of things do your kids like to do? If you'd like to share more information, I'd be happy to see if I can help you brainstorm some ideas for things to make cheaply.

And, yes, I think you are right to focus on finding lovely things to do together. Honestly, those are the things that will become memories.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

The kids did mention that maybe wait to have their gifts in January or February. LOL!

We used to do this when I was a kid. We agreed w/Mom that since everything is on sale half-off after Christmas we'd wait a day for those things we wanted, usually clothes. But this is a bit hard to do when your dc are young.

For the OP, your holiday activities sound like a lot of fun! I need to check around here for similar activities for us to do.

One thing that has really saved me this year in terms of Christmas gifts is the change jar. We have a jar in the kitchen that everyone puts their change in. Even when we are tight to the dime there are a few pennies that can go into the jar. Even when my grocery budget is $40 and I take cash there is a little change left over. The kids get into it, too. Any change they find or earn, goes into the jar. The trick is to stay out of it. For a little bit Dh thought it was his vending machine fund until youngest gave him a talking to. :001_smile:

Once the change jar is full we take it to our local coinstar machine. This is a machine that counts your change. If you want cash back in bills it takes a percentage, but it you want a gift card you get the full amount. We choose to get Amazon gift cards because I can get something from Amazon for everyone in the family. It is a simple, painless "Christmas fund." Ours has added up to almost $200 this year. Not a massive amount but enough to get everyone a little something new to make it feel Christmassy.

One of the things I do to keep my kids focused on giving rather than getting is I have each of them make gifts for each other.

They have tied fleece blankets for each other, made beaded bracelets, headbands & earrings for each other. Even my 6yo ds makes gifts for his older sisters. Their favorite was the year he tie dyed everyone's plain white socks. Each sister had her own color scheme.

Look at some of the ideas on this website for frugal gifts

http://theprudenthomemaker.com/FrugalGifts.aspx

My older dds have made the paper doll sets for younger dds.

Holidays are a very difficult time for things to be so tight but really what the kids remember are the things you do together.

HTH,

Amber in SJ

My parents always gave us a group gift from them (a set of books, sometimes used, or an aquarium, or a set of movies) and one small individual gift from Santa (A doll, a football, a bottle of body spray, a fishing lure, etc.... ). If they had extra money, we would each get some cash to spend at the after-Christmas sales. If not, we were happy with what we had... We spend time making fudge, cookies, candy, and other treats that we only had around the holidays. They would drive us around to look at lights. We would go caroling. We would take part in the Church's Nativity Play. We would go sledding on our farm and drink hot chocolate. I have great memories of Christmas as a kid.

If you have a freecycle group in your community, join it and watch. You don't have to post an offer to respond to one. The rule in my group is you have to offer something before you can post a wanted.

I've been clearing out old toys and games today and many responders have said that this was going to be Christmas for them.

I hung onto this stuff a little long--kept hoping ds would grow into certain games or toys. ds has disabilities and it's a little hard to admit some things aren't going to happen for him, but I'm happy going through this clear out is making life a little easier for someone else.

If you are crafty, could you do felt food for your youngest? Joanns usually has their polyester felt at a really low price (~$2 for a tall yard w/ coupons), and you don't need much to make a loaf of bread or crackers or sandwich fillings. A single beige yard would make a package of Saltines, a bowl of bowtie pasta, and the white part of a loaf of bread. You'd need some darker beige for the crust, but that could just be a tiny scrap. Felt food is really cute and can be made inexpensively!

Great idea. Also, felt boards can be really inexpensive and fun and you may already have the supplies. Basically you take interfacing (called Pellon) and then using a sharpie trace pictures from books and then color in and cut them out. It is not at all hard and it can be fun to do. http://susanlemons.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/felt-board-fun-making-and-using-your-own-feltboard-and-figures/

For grandparents a free but meaningful gift is a memory jar. Just write out memories on slips of paper. It can be anything "the time Susie cut off her bangs" "your chocolate cupcakes" "when you taught me to throw a baseball". If you do 365 they have a memory a day.

We're in the same boat. This will be DH's slow month at work and we will barely squeek by on the bills. I'm going to sew a few things for the kids. I've bought a bag of chocolate "coins" per child along with 6 for $1 peppermint sticks (but various flavours), both to put in their shoes on St. Nicholas' Day. Their "big gift" was a Christmas tree as we haven't had one in fourteen years.

DH and I have been there more times than I care to remember. :grouphug: You sound like you have a good grip on it -- and that is always a good way to make lemonade from lemons (btw, I really DO hate that phrase :glare:).

The ideas you already shared are excellent - the movies, and stuff like that.

Being in such a situation (we are just about finished climbing out of a financial hole that dh's previous employer landed us in 7 years ago and we have had mountains of doctor and medical bills for dd31 who is being treated for chronic lyme disease - that is 8 years), I learned to change my focus - which to me it sounds like you have right where it should be.:grouphug:

In fact, the entire 'not giving gifts outside of our home' came about during these trying financial times - and it has stuck and I am glad.

I think that my kids have learned a valuable lesson -- they have spent the better part of their lives observing dh and I putting the emphasis on what G-d gave us as opposed to what we can go out and buy -- it is in direct contrast to the way I was raised and I am thankful for the lesson.

I admire you for your gracious perspective that comes through in your original post -- bless you and your family.:grouphug:

It might be too late in the year, but for next year.... I do online surveys for Zoom Panel. Every survey I take earns points. If I get disqualified, I only earn 5 points. If I qualify the average is 150. I save all my points until November. They offer all kinds of stuff year round. But, nearing the end of the year, they have Amazon gift cards, grocery gift cards, etc.

I was able to cash in my points for $100 in Amazon GCs. If you want more info. PM me.

You know how they have those advent calendars where you get something every day? I think I might try doing something every day with the kids to brighten someone's day in the spirit of giving. I bet they would like to make some "secret".

I too admire your perspective!

We don't have a limited budget. But my kids are getting a limited budget Christmas because it is what they want.

We have paid for a few clay sessions and made clay things.

But this is how are christmas day will go. (note we are going to have our family christmas on the 22nd)

The kids will the night before set up everything they want for the teddies. (we have five loved teddies in the house). When us two adults get up we will add our gifts under the tree. We are getting the kids:

One, hopefully two books in the cricket in times square series.

A zip lock bag with there name on it full of ketchup chips

A 2 liter bottle of apple cider, or some other 89 cent drink they want. One each, so enough to last a while.

Each boy will get a gift ceifcate (made by me) entitling them to a five dollar purchase from the thrift store.

A duatang with a calendar printed off the computer. This way they can add there own pictures. It will have written in all the family birthdays, including the teddy bears.

We will open the present. The kids will play if they want. I will read to them from the new book.

Daddy will set up the massage table and offer anyone who wants a massage a massage. (namely ME)

That evening we will go swimming at the rec center.

This is pretty much just what the kids want for Christmas. I'm not going to bother buying them anything just because.

We are there every year and every year in some way it all comes together. God is so good to us! Sometimes Christmas is very "lean" and other times (like last year) we have so much.

Our income is based on giving from the US. If people give--we have money. If they don't--we'll then we have each other! Either way we have had amazing Christmases.

We do a lot of Christmas baking and movies and decorating. We have a night where we all get together with friends and go caroling which is so much fun! We do the Christmas parades here and also the "burning of the devil" which is the official kick off to the Christmas season here in Guatemala.

Lots of traditions takes the focus off of gifts. We've always had wonderful Christmases.

It might be too late in the year, but for next year.... I do online surveys for Zoom Panel. Every survey I take earns points. If I get disqualified, I only earn 5 points. If I qualify the average is 150. I save all my points until November. They offer all kinds of stuff year round. But, nearing the end of the year, they have Amazon gift cards, grocery gift cards, etc.

I was able to cash in my points for $100 in Amazon GCs. If you want more info. PM me.

I was thining something similar, but it is a little too late to help with this year. I do MyPoints. They send me a few e-mails a day with links to various retailers and businesses. Usually, they offer more points (like 100) if you sign up for things or make a purchase, but just clicking on the link earns me 5 points each time. I also get invitations to surveys. If you qualify to finish the survey (which I almost never do), you earn more. But just trying gets me 5 or 10 points each time.

In the course of a year, I earn enough points to get $50 or $100 in gift cards for various stores. They have cards available for Target and Wal-Mart and iTunes and -- my personal favorite -- Barnes and Noble and lots of other places.

It seems like this year has hit us with more unexpected expenses than normal. This Christmas looks like it is going to be drink cocoa, be together, focus on the true meaning... rather than give presents. My kids have almost lost both of their grandmothers this year due to health issues. A friend of ours had a heart attack a few weeks ago. (He is 36) We have lost some good friends this year due to cancer. Presents really don't seem to matter in the big scheme of things. Our family is in tact. The tornado that hit the south so hard in April barely inconvenienced us. We have food in the kitchen and clothes on our backs. I'd say all in all we are blessed.

With Wolf taking parental leave, we're very, very tight this year. We were hoping to get income tax return (filed very late) back in time to carry us through, but the accountant has taken almost a month to get it done, we go to sign next wk...which means we won't see diddly until the New Year. *sigh*

Like a pp, I collect change during the year. Granted, we raided it for hospital parking on several occasions, but I'll spend time today rolling what's left.

Plus, I save my airmiles. I then turn them into gift cards in time to do Christmas shopping...it usually means an extra $100.

Combine the change and the gc, and shopping at 2nd hand stores, and there'll at least be something under the tree.

We are very broke this year. Broker than usual, even. Dh usually gets a Christmas bonus - on Christmas eve. So, we could use some of that for gift shopping at the very last minute.

Thanks for the change idea! We do have a big bottle of pennies, and another jar of nickels. These have been sitting in the barn for 10 years, but I think I might roll them up.

Yes, we're in a tight spot this year too. I've been an emotional wreck since before Thanksgiving. In fact, if we hadn't had a family invite us to a potluck, there's no way we would have been able to afford a Thanksgiving dinner. In all honesty, I'm not really sure how we'll be able to afford any food. I have a writing gig that pays, so while it's not much, at least it's something. And even though I started late on the SwagBucks thing, I do have enough for $10 to Amazon. I would gladly make lots of homemade gifts and fudge and jam and such, but even that costs a lot of money. I've been trying to count my blessings because I know we have lots, I've just been very mentally weary. Sorry for the downer post, I'll be ok, just needed to vent.

Do you have a thrift store near you? We have one here, run by a local church, and you can find some really good deals on books (5 for $1.00) and toys that are in good shape (Legos, puzzles, board games, etc.).

If your kids are into video games, don't forget to visit GameStop. You can trade in games that your kids don't play any longer for different ones (and even if they're used, they're new games to the kids).

As for change, if you take it to a CoinStar machine, you don't have to roll it. The machine counts it for you and you can cash it in or exchange it for gift cards. If you get an Amazon card (or a few others, I'm not sure which) it doesn't charge the "counting fee" and you get the whole amount. The CoinStar site has a machine locator that says which ones offer the Amazon cards.

I thought of another idea. What about making decorative pillows for at least the teen girl? If you can scrounge a yard or two of fabric in a color or design she likes or that would match her room and then steal stuffing from an old pillow (maybe even found at a thrift store?), you could make something cute for no more than a couple of bucks. And pillows have the advantage of being a large-ish thing under the tree.

Since we live on a farm, our guys have quite a few chores. Hubby and I plan to give them "gift certificates" for chores. We will each give them various coupons they can use for one day when they don't feel like doing that chore (from dishes to feeding ponies or doing chickens, etc). Then hubby or I will do that chore for them that day.

I think they'll like that more than most chintzy things we can think up.

We've also put a $5 per person limit on everyone. The most they can spend is $5 per person (we're a family of 5, 4 if my oldest doesn't return from college for the holidays). They know we can combine $$ to get one gift if they want (meaning the most per person is $15). I'm not at all materialistic and fortunately, my boys aren't either. This way everyone gets something, but it doesn't break the budget. We've done a lot with just a little $$.

As for change, if you take it to a CoinStar machine, you don't have to roll it. The machine counts it for you and you can cash it in or exchange it for gift cards. If you get an Amazon card (or a few others, I'm not sure which) it doesn't charge the "counting fee" and you get the whole amount. The CoinStar site has a machine locator that says which ones offer the Amazon cards.

Great hint--thanks for passing it along. Our credit union also has one of these machines and if you're a member they don't charge a counting fee.

http://amybayliss.com/10-days-of-mason-jar-christmas/

These looked fun and festive. To save money I would recommend you reuse glass jars from the grocery store. The projects are pretty and simple and that might help cheer you up.

I have been there and know how it feels. So sorry for your struggles. It is hard to deal with such practical things during the holidays. We were younger with younger kids and it did make it easier. Time with us was sooo precious to them at that age.

ETA: Is there anything your teen daughter is wanting permission for (like dying her hair or having a sleep over) that you have always said no to? May be you could please her with permission to *do* something she has wanted to do for a long time. Just another thought.

Edited by Once

This is us this year. I have found being broke to be very humbling and I realize how materialistic I really am. I made playdough today and think I will make some in funky colours for my youngest. I can knit a sweater for my niece. The adults in my family are going to get food and mason jars filled with dry ingredients. I am not sure what my oldest son will get yet. I have come to realize how spoiled he is so this is a good learning experience for him.

Thank you everyone for the encouragement! :grouphug:

You all have given me some great ideas here. I had no idea that Coinstar will give you the full amount as a gift card. We don't have a whole bunch of change, but I will gather all that I have. That will really help with stocking stuffers. I also had not heard of Zoom Panel, but I would love to try that now so I will be ready for next year.

These gift ideas are great! I had forgotten that several years ago I made a feltboard and some felt figures for my cousin's kids. I bet that my 6 yo would love that. I am also always printing coloring pages for her to color, so making a coloring book would be perfect for her. My 14 yo would love something decorative for her room, so the pillow idea would be great! I'm trying to think of something homemade for DS11, who pretty much just likes video games and Legos (which are too expensive). I could make him another blanket..his other fleece blanket I made him is getting kind of old. I plan on going to the thrift store to get books for all of the kids, too.

It's so nice to know that I'm not alone in this. After hearing about all of the shopping my friends and family are doing already (and seeing Black Friday footage on the news), I was just feeling so....poor. :tongue_smilie: I was just talking to DD14 who had emailed her Christmas list to grandma (at grandma's request) and I told her I didn't think we would be able to get her anything on it. She said, "Oh, that's okay. There's nothing I really need on there anyway." :001_wub:

Oh, yes! I have had a pity party, yet continue to try and hide it from our dc. I wasn't even going to decorate because I felt it was useless. However, I decided to keep up with our traditions and pray that something works out. We are so far behind on our rent I am truly thankful for a landlord that is understanding and hasn't even mentioned it.

I was able to pick up some stocking stuffers a couple of months ago and someone had given me some "like new" used toys that I will wrap up for the kids. So, at least they will be getting something. I will try to make it fun for them. My ds9 asked if we could do a hunt for the gifts so I will be trying that this year.

Most people I know IRL that complain about not being able to get their dc anything for Christmas have family that buys. Both my parents passed away two years ago and my FIL doesn't keep in touch. He doesn't even know all of our dc's names. :confused:

It's also been hard not being able to be with my extended family because they all live several states away.

Anyway, all of you have been encouraging. I will also be trying some of those ideas for the upcoming year (Zoom Panel).

It seems like this year has hit us with more unexpected expenses than normal. This Christmas looks like it is going to be drink cocoa, be together, focus on the true meaning... rather than give presents. My kids have almost lost both of their grandmothers this year due to health issues. A friend of ours had a heart attack a few weeks ago. (He is 36) We have lost some good friends this year due to cancer. Presents really don't seem to matter in the big scheme of things. Our family is in tact. The tornado that hit the south so hard in April barely inconvenienced us. We have food in the kitchen and clothes on our backs. I'd say all in all we are blessed.

LIKE!

The thrift store and dollar store are my friend.

ETA: I clicked post reply in the middle of the thread and then posted and then read the post above mine with the beautiful quote. :blushing: I don't mean to sound so materialistic in the face of such sentiments.

Edited by silliness7

OP, since you mentioned Ebay I thought I would tell you that for the past 3 -5 weeks they have had free listings once a week and last week they had penny listings for any item listed. I am not sure if they will do it again this week but the pattern has been usually on Monday or Tuesday. I think Ebay is hurting from so many people leaving for Craigs list and the fact that they put their fees up so high. I hope you can make some cash this way.

we have been completely BROKE two Christmas years now. The first they were super young and we were blessed by an online friend who sent them blankets and one gift each. Grandparents more than made up for the loss of presents from us.

The next was last year. Again, we had a friend offer up a wonderful present to the kids, which we did accept(I am learning to accept kindness as I get older). Grandparents actually give less now than in the past so it was obvious but we are very honest about money and don't do Santa.

In fact, having someone else gift them made the lesson of 'giving' real the them b/c they knew they would get nothing else without that gift.

This year we are taking a trip so no big presents are planned either. Christmas without a lot of gifts seems to work for us better! My kids have been making things on their own. My dd is making homemade things...no idea what really. My son is making ornaments from some of his Lego's.

Today I was inspired and bought material to make them something, lol!

I will say those years without gift piles were the best and we don't try to make up later. We all have grown and learned from the lean years.

I'm trying to think of something homemade for DS11, who pretty much just likes video games and Legos (which are too expensive). I could make him another blanket..his other fleece blanket I made him is getting kind of old. I plan on going to the thrift store to get books for all of the kids, too.

I'm glad we've been helpful. As others have said, your approach to this tough situation is simply lovely.

Pre-teen and teen boys are hard to make things for, no doubt. My son is 13, and I've been really struggling to come up with a few things to make for him.

I will say that he's decided to make some gifts for his three best friends. We're going to buy plain wooden boxes from Joann's, which he's going to decorate with some combination of staining, woodburning, carving and/or painting. We're going to line them inside with a little bit of nice fabric in each person's favorite color and then fill them with the person's favorite small candy.

We figure that, after the candy is eaten, the boxes will make nice keepsakes and places for the kids to tuck away small treasures.

I would think you could do the same thing with a box from a thrift store, too, by the way. It doesn't have to be pretty, since you're going to decorate it, anyway.

The reality is that the gifts really aren't the most important part. And, as your daughter has already shown you, kids are really good about understanding, much more than we think most of the time.

He's so excited about the idea that I've decided to surprise him by making one for him, too.

Some unexpected household expenses leave me with very, very little for gifts. I did get lucky and won something very nice for dh and ds, so I'm not at desperate levels. I do want to find some inexpensive ideas for stocking stuffers, though. Preferably, I would like to give them things that aren't junk. So much of whatis in my meager budget is junk, cheap crap and ugly plastic. I am just not going to give in to that junk anymore, though. I think I would rather give nothing than succumb to purchasing crap. I am fresh out of ideas for where to find decent gifts that aren't crap and aren't beyond my budget at the same time.

I was thining something similar, but it is a little too late to help with this year. I do MyPoints. They send me a few e-mails a day with links to various retailers and businesses. Usually, they offer more points (like 100) if you sign up for things or make a purchase, but just clicking on the link earns me 5 points each time. I also get invitations to surveys. If you qualify to finish the survey (which I almost never do), you earn more. But just trying gets me 5 or 10 points each time.

In the course of a year, I earn enough points to get $50 or $100 in gift cards for various stores. They have cards available for Target and Wal-Mart and iTunes and -- my personal favorite -- Barnes and Noble and lots of other places.

I do this and Swagbucks - between the two I usually have enough to buy a couple of things each for ds and dh. Actually, now that I am tutoring less, I try to do more with Swagbucks and usually wind up with $25 in Amazon gift certificates each month. Some of that already got used for school supplies and ds's birthday present though.

Some unexpected household expenses leave me with very, very little for gifts. I did get lucky and won something very nice for dh and ds, so I'm not at desperate levels. I do want to find some inexpensive ideas for stocking stuffers, though. Preferably, I would like to give them things that aren't junk. So much of whatis in my meager budget is junk, cheap crap and ugly plastic. I am just not going to give in to that junk anymore, though. I think I would rather give nothing than succumb to purchasing crap. I am fresh out of ideas for where to find decent gifts that aren't crap and aren't beyond my budget at the same time.

We usually do a combo of favorite chocolates and fruit for stocking stuffers, and a Lego minifigure for ds. I can usually find one on sale before Christmas for $4-5.

It is another tight year for us. I am a little disappointed because things were finally looking up financially, until dh wrecked his car. I am grateful he wasn't hurt so I try to focus on that, but sometimes it is harder than others.

PM me, would ya?

I started Swagbucks and have earned about $30.00 in the last 90 days. Not huge, but it feeds my amazon habit.

For ds's birthday we were totally broke, like we hit the garage sales. We found a Darth Vader helmet (one of the nice ones) for .25. I was stoked, they go for 40-50 on e-bay.

Since dh started a job after months of underemployment we're heading back up, but Christmas will be tight. Ds wants 3 things, which between us and my parents he will get. Beyond that dh and I will probably get stuff later.

I did get a phone upgrade for free over the weekend from Best Buy, even got free shipping. This was nice because the last time I looked the phone was $99.

My husband had a thought for your 11 year old, by the way. He wondered if your husband might have something he could refurbish and hand down as a gift? Our son always loves things that have belonged to Dad.

And I can't remember whether I mentioned this before, but my son always makes bath stuff for his big sister. Salt scrubs and bath salts are really easy.