Menu

Oxford Comma Funny

I prefer Oxford commas but don't think the poster makes sense. Who thinks that's what people mean when they omit the last comma?

Grammatically it's ambiguous even if the meaning is clear to us. There are definitely instances where ambiguous grammar makes meaning less than crystal clear. It happens to me that I am innocently reading along and stumble across ambiguous grammar and have to stop to figure out what is meant.

Tara

I prefer Oxford commas but don't think the poster makes sense. Who thinks that's what people mean when they omit the last comma?

but that's what it is saying, and it is visually driving home the point.

who thinks when they say: "we're having the Jones' for dinner" thinks they're eating them? but that is what it is saying. (the correct version would be people "to" dinner. we eat things "for" dinner.)

ds had that point driven home when they did the "how to make a peanut butter sandwich" experiement in middle school. they had to give precise instructions - just as scientists are supposed to.

Love "Eats, shoots and leaves". (a book about commas. and apostrophes.)

here is another one (not pg)

[ATTACH]6895[/ATTACH]

I hope the attachment thing works. :001_smile:

Oh, my!

Now tell me how I can use the attachment thingie or post a link or SOMETHING so I can forward this to my friend in an e-mail. I gotta have it!

Sorry I am a techno-idiot.

Oh, my!

Now tell me how I can use the attachment thingie or post a link or SOMETHING so I can forward this to my friend in an e-mail. I gotta have it!

Sorry I am a techno-idiot.

Here is a link http://weknowawesome.com/2011/09/30/the-oxford-comma-strippers-jfk-and-stalin/

I am also a techno-idiot and was pleasantly stunned when the attachment worked. :lol:

Tee-hee!

I'm an Oxford comma die-hard.

Tara

:iagree:

Long live the Oxford comma!

Grammatically it's ambiguous even if the meaning is clear to us. There are definitely instances where ambiguous grammar makes meaning less than crystal clear. It happens to me that I am innocently reading along and stumble across ambiguous grammar and have to stop to figure out what is meant.

Tara

This example wouldn't confuse me, but I was taught to either use a comma at my discretion or to rephrase if the meaning would not be clear otherwise. It's never been an issue, either in school (in Canada) or in reading materials published without the Oxford comma. I find it amusing that Americans get so worked up about it; it's simply not the case that much of the rest of the English-speaking world exists in a state of confusion without it, putting orange juice on toast or what have you. :tongue_smilie:

Guest submarines

I know this isn't a popular opinion here, but the Oxford comma doesn't make any sense, and posters that attempt to illustrate it alleged value fail to do so. :tongue_smilie:

but that's what it is saying, and it is visually driving home the point.

I disagree. It isn't saying that at all, and if anything, the poster makes me reconsider my usual defense of the serial comma. In most cases, they are unnecessary, and if there is any confusion or ambiguity, you can still add a comma. (For the sake of kittens everywhere, I hope no one is going to have the Jones' either for or to dinner.)

Edited by WordGirl

Love the example! Always used it but didn't realize that it was called the Oxford comma.

... jfk, stalin and the strippers...

This wording is preferable because it's the way we'd say it. When the text from the example is read aloud, confusion could result even if an Oxford comma is present in the text. A speaker wouldn't mumble "Oxford comma" to remove the ambiguity.

Perhaps we could agree give poor and lazy writers leave to use the comma. :tongue_smilie:

If I wanted the strippers to be JFK and Stalin, I'd write:

'... the strippers: JFK and Stalin'

Laura

But then that would mean that you listed the strippers, who were JFK and Stalin?

If you replace the colon with namely, you can normally tell if it's the correct usage. Your punctuation would say that JFK and Stalin were strippers.

Guest submarines
But then that would mean that you listed the strippers, who were JFK and Stalin?

If you replace the colon with namely, you can normally tell if it's the correct usage. Your punctuation would say that JFK and Stalin were strippers.

That's what she is trying to say (right?). If I want to say that JFK and Stalin indeed were strippers, I'd say: We invited the strippers: JFK and Stalin.

On the other hand, if I want to say that I invited the strippers in addition to JFK and Stalin, I'd simply list them, without the Oxford comma, because the last 'and' in the series replaces the comma.

:D

That's what she is trying to say (right?). If I want to say that JFK and Stalin indeed were strippers, I'd say: We invited the strippers: JFK and Stalin.

On the other hand, if I want to say that I invited the strippers in addition to JFK and Stalin, I'd simply list them, without the Oxford comma, because the last 'and' in the series replaces the comma.

:D

DUH me. :lol:

Guest submarines
OK. You know I love you. But. That was a link about neo nazis and people who have never heard of Adolf Hitler. I had to stop watching, as it made me ill. If there is something about commas in the link, I missed it. My churning stomach forced a shutdown.

Really? It took me to an Oscar Wilde quote (about taking out commas).

I disagree. It isn't saying that at all, and if anything, the poster makes me reconsider my usual defense of the serial comma. In most cases, they are unnecessary, and if there is any confusion or ambiguity, you can still add a comma.

I agree, serial comma only when the meaning is ambiguous.

(For the sake of kittens everywhere, I hope no one is going to have the Jones' either for or to dinner.)

For the love of the kittens, it is Joneses we would have to (in most cases) or for (in the case of zombies or cannibals) dinner! :D

Guest submarines
Each time I click the link, this comes up. (It looks like CA, USA, so i am not proud.)

This time the youtube video came up for me too. :confused:

ETA: And I clicked for the 4th time, and I got the quotations site again.

http://quotationsbook.com/quote/42880/

:confused::confused::confused:

Edited by sunflowers

Guest submarines
I really dislike the Oxford comma. IMO it is redundant. The last and in a series replaces the Oxford comma. So with the comma you are in effect saying and, and. If I find mysef in a situation where the meaning would not be clear I reword as adding the Oxford comma rarely clarifies the situation.

:iagree:Yes, yes and yes!